Photo

Brabham Repco or Repco Brabham?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 Henk Vasmel

Henk Vasmel

• 447 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:34

Thanks for all the explanations from people closer to the fire. It helps in understanding better what I find. Indeed the Repco FPF was not very common, and mostly it is a case of a series of participations, where only one out of many is described as Repco.

Advertisement

#52 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,609 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:10

As I understand it, Repco purchased the patterns for the FPF engines from Coventry-Climax...

The reason was simple. Coventry-Climax were more involved with the FWMV engines in F1 and most of the FPF activity was in Australia and New Zealand where we had the 2.5-litre formula and nothing had come up to match the FPF at the time.

Repco had also done some development work on FPFs for Brabham's own cars.

Ultimately the patterns were, very sadly, thrown out.

Further to Lee's post, the involvement of Phil Irving in cylinder head work for the later Holden and Falcon 6s did not indicate that they were anything to do with Repco. Phil was by this time largely disenchanted with the treatment he received at Repco and did those jobs as a consultant.

And, of course, it was only the very early Repco-Brabham V8s which used the GM block. They soon started casting their own blocks with improvements built in.

#53 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,858 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 00:35

Just looking at the IGP results and at least the media are putting Alfa Romeo Ferrari and Williams Mercedes.

Makes no sense to the companies involved, a kick in the backside for Alfa to be Alfa Ferrari. Though yes I know they are under the same parent company. though a bit like here in Oz with eg an Opel/ Chevrolet with a Holden badge!

Williams I suppose is ok, they have never done their own engines 

#54 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,804 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:28

That doesn't make it 'correct', though...

Isn´t it correct, and indeed even a journalist´s / historian´s task, to name things as what they are, rather than blindly following 'official sponsorhip speech'?

[hide and away...]

#55 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,866 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:41

BRIAN: Are you the Judean People's Front?

REG: **** off!

BRIAN: What?

REG: Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea! Judean People's Front. Cawk.

FRANCIS: Wankers.

#56 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,771 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:02

Monty Python are right (aren't they always?), tiny details can make a difference!

Isn´t it correct, and indeed even a journalist´s / historian´s task, to name things as what they are, rather than blindly following 'official sponsorhip speech'?

[hide and away...]

So, you're suggesting we do away with "Brabham" or "Repco(-)Brabham", and call the cars MRD henceforth?

#57 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 977 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:46

Monty Python are right (aren't they always?), tiny details can make a difference!

So, you're suggesting we do away with "Brabham" or "Repco(-)Brabham", and call the cars MRD henceforth?

To quote the bleedin' obvious - splitter!

Edited by Glengavel, 09 September 2019 - 08:47.

#58 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,424 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 18:05

To quote the bleedin' obvious - splitter!

Is that splitter, or wing or aerofoil? :p  :lol:

#59 BRG

BRG

• 16,860 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 19:15

The thing I am now confused about is whether there ever was a Brabham Viva HA.  I am sure that it was only ever an HB model in the UK, but perhaps there was a predecessor on Australia?  There seems to be a few images of an HA version, but are they retrospective liveries rather than the genuine article?

Nothing to do with Repco, but this is pretty mild thread wander by TNF standards.   ;)

Advertisement

#60 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,609 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 20:51

No HA Brabham Vivas in Australia...

Lee has already stated this in an earlier post. The first Brabham Toranas were the HBs.

Which means there were no dealer-delivered Brabham Vivas in Australia at all.

#61 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,857 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 21:14

There definitely was a Brabham Viva HA:

https://www.annteak....rabham-viva-gt/

Google throws up several other links confirming this.

#62 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,684 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 22:05

OT slightly, ever since I came across it, I have had a liking for the Repco Holden coupe, unusual though some might find it.....

Talking of Climax FPF drawings, I have often wondered whether Bob King did in fact have a set among the stuff he bought from Climax. Bob, of course, supplied and serviced FPFs after their F1 had ended from his Bob King Racing Preparations outfit in Alperton Viaduct in West London, his own car, Lotus 24?, raced by Tony Lanfranchi, IIRC.
I raise the point about the drawings as I have a distant recollection that he also offered 2.7litre versions.
Roger Lund.

#63 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,609 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 22:32

Originally posted by Tim Murray
There definitely was a Brabham Viva HA.....

Yes, in England. Not in Australia, which is what Lee and I have said.

As an aside, it was interesting reading on that page you linked that they had Konis on the back and Armstrongs on the front. I recall the rear end of Ruth Brock's HA Viva doing crazy things when I had my first drive with Peter, I guess Jack found the Konis settled this down.

#64 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,857 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:09

Yes, in England. Not in Australia, which is what Lee and I have said.

Agreed. I was replying to BRG’s suggestion that there hadn’t been one in the UK either.

#65 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 65,609 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:41

Ah yes, I see I was reading the wrong part of his post...

Of course, right on top of Jack being lauded by GM-H with the Brabham Torana he bought a big Ford dealership.

#66 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,804 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:47

Company names come and go. The company I worked for changed its name six times, nevertheless it had been always the same company with the same products. Just for marketing reasons, change of major shareholders etc. Always working at the same desktop...

Therefore personally I prefer Doug´s approach, they were Brabhams built by one of Brabham´s companies, so I call them Brabham.

#67 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,689 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:21

Jack appears to have operated many companies for his ventures. Brabham Garages was a dealership, possibly also the company selling the Brabham Herald with Coventry Climax engine. Brabham Conversions made upgrade kits for Sunbeam/Singer engines. Jack Brabham's Car Care Cards were sold by a separate publishing firm.

Incidentally, I have seen several versions of the Repco Brabham badge with V8 labelling. I assume that Ford were no longer claiming V8 as a trademark?

#68 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 9,735 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:47

Off topic but a bit in the same kind of problem.

We had Martini-Porsche, martini-Brabham, Martini-Lotus and all of a sudden Lancia-Martini .....

Edited by Henri Greuter, 13 September 2019 - 10:47.