Silverstone Classic 2010

• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 16:59

Hi,
The invites have gone out for the Silverstone Classic media day - 5th May this year.

Anyone planning on going? Because I work evenings, I can do this, then go to work, but this one depends on entirely who's there, both TNF/driver wise.

Obviously the event is some way off yet, mid-July I believe.

Advertisement

#2 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:20

Yes I will be there as Rachel Watts is taking her Elan .

#3 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:00

Does anyone have knowledge of any promotional codes that enable you to get discount tickets for this event?

#4 Canon14

Canon14

• 31 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 19:48

Last Saturday's Daily Telegraph had a code SC10DTE which claimed to give 25% off but it was due to expire last Monday (5th). it might be worth a try - the week before they said it was going to end on 30 June

#5 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:05

Anyone going ????? My tent is available as a meeting point as usual.

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:20

I have just seen the admission prices. Are they joking?????

They can't seriously expect any decent quantity of spectators when they charge almost £100 for the three days. This is only historic racing after all and Goodwood it isn't.

Or is Boor being tight.... again? :blush:

Edited by Barry Boor, 14 July 2010 - 07:23.

#7 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:46

They can't seriously expect any decent quantity of spectators when they charge almost £100 for the three days. This is only historic racing after all and Goodwood it isn't.

you dont wont to know the entry fees then!

It is a lot but like Goodwood you get a lot for your money. Badminton 3 day horse trials woudl be similar money and equally as niche.... we have the same argumenet every year and at the end of the day if you reckon you will get £33 worth of enjoyment each day its worth it if you wont then its not - simples

#8 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:11

I will be there driving my Alfa GTA in the Under Two-Litre Touring Car race with James Wiseman, and then sharing James' gorgeous Alfa Sprint Zagato in the Tourist Trophy. And, no doubt, Simon and I will meet up in a signing-on queue somewhere.

My old Alfa 2600 Sprint coupe is entered for the HSCC 'Big-Engine Touring Car' race : it will be good to see the old beast out on the track after such a long lay-off.

Ted, I am looking forward to searching your stock - hope you've got a few new Alfa pictures !
Nick

#9 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:33

I will be there driving my Alfa GTA in the Under Two-Litre Touring Car race with James Wiseman, and then sharing James' gorgeous Alfa Sprint Zagato in the Tourist Trophy. And, no doubt, Simon and I will meet up in a signing-on queue somewhere.

My old Alfa 2600 Sprint coupe is entered for the HSCC 'Big-Engine Touring Car' race : it will be good to see the old beast out on the track after such a long lay-off.

Ted, I am looking forward to searching your stock - hope you've got a few new Alfa pictures !
Nick

Always a pleasure to bump into you Nick! I am in the Pre 63GT sharing my old Turner. Great to see your 2600 out again - I presumed that you had sold it!

#10 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:14

I'll be there on the Saturday spending my time between the Midget & Sprite Club's stand and then wandering around making a nuisance of myself wearing a bib and carrying a camera.
As usual, Ted, Ill pop over and bother you for a couple of minutes.

#11 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:14

I think that the Friday is the best value for money - all the cars & few spectators.

:wave:

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:30

I'll be there all three days with our rust club exhibits, but possible not including my Isis as it had a rather bad experience at its MoT yesterday... :well:

#13 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:02

I know I don't tend to post in here even though I have a passion for classic/vintage racecars. I will be there on Saturday and Sunday armed with my bib and camera (and Maserati teddy bear).

#14 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 19:28

Barry- I went for two days last year and it was utterly brilliant. This year it will be all three days. Fantastic cars , brilliant access- I watched one race from the pitwall before being asked- but so politely if sir would care to move behind the yellow line on pitlane. Being in a garage 2 feet from a DFV being warmed up, ditto with a T70 and drooling over 250 Lussos and 917- I was in hog heaven.My Caterham will be parked on club stand on Friday morning early after a 5 am start form home and I can't blooody wait.ps I am only 57...

#15 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 19:35

Utilising the supposedly expired Daily Telegraph discount code, I purchased 2 x 3 day tickets yesterday at £60 each. :up:

#16 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 457 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 20:58

Psst - discount code still working ...

#17 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 22:44

Cannot make it this time, but I saw the inflated ticket prices coming ages ago when the re-generation of Silverstone started :rolleyes: . Friday seems to be the value for money slot, however £100 for the weekend ticket :eek: is steep if you are going to attract the crowds. Should have been £25 each day or £40 for Sat/Sun and £20 for Friday :smoking: .
At Brands for the Superprix it was £20 to go up in the VIP viewing area :evil: (opp the control tower) on Sunday (not full) but free on Fri/Sat ;) . When will they ever learn that if it was £3 for a couple of hours up there it would be full ALL weekend :well: ? Basic maths says that more paying less is better than few paying more - plus it looks better on the TV when a crowd is in :confused: !! Hope the weather gets better for the Classic for those attending :cool: - have fun guys :up: :up:

#18 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:33

Heard last night that there has been a last minute change in promoters ????????

#19 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:55

Heard last night that there has been a last minute change in promoters ????????

Wow that is big news - Ted have you any more colour? It will not change the racing line up but might the extra curriculum events.... has it reverted to a more traditional promoter (HSCC/Masters?)

Advertisement

#20 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:34

It neither HSCC or the other lot.
Back to a Historic Race Man who could provide a more balanced programme and have a totally Historic programme rather than Abarths and odd Mini races.

#21 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:55

Back to a Historic Race Man who could provide a more balanced programme and have a totally Historic programme rather than Abarths and odd Mini races.

:clap:

#22 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:04

does this mean a new promoter for NEXT YEAR then?

#23 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:29

Shame the promoter for the attached music event can't be changed, this year's line up features a string of X Factor drop outs. Historic racing and Jedward, could there have been a less appropriate line up ? :confused:

#24 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:46

Shame the promoter for the attached music event can't be changed, this year's line up features a string of X Factor drop outs. Historic racing and Jedward, could there have been a less appropriate line up ? :confused:

My earplugs will not be for the pits but for my tent later! :eek: I shall be there for the 3 days based at Camp Giraffe, Litchlake Farm on my Daily Telegraph £60 ticket! :wave:

#25 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:14

ah, I've just checked the listings over at Motors TV & it seems they have dropped the Silverstone Classic from their schedules. If you remember, last year (and the year before I think) they had it 'live' across the Saturday and Sunday. Shame. Mind you, thinking about last years' coverage, it WAS absolutely bluddy awful and could have been SO much better.

#26 cyrilmac

cyrilmac

• 439 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:29

ah, I've just checked the listings over at Motors TV & it seems they have dropped the Silverstone Classic from their schedules. If you remember, last year (and the year before I think) they had it 'live' across the Saturday and Sunday. Shame. Mind you, thinking about last years' coverage, it WAS absolutely bluddy awful and could have been SO much better.

A wise move after their efforts at the Le Mans Classic.How could you make that so poor?

#27 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:05

...............it does make you wonder once these programmes have been produced, surely SOMEONE has to look at them and say 'Yes, that's OK.' or 'No, that's not good enough.' ???
Judging by last year's coverage of the Silverstone Classic on Motors, it was obvious they didn't have enough cameras at the event, it looked like one on-board camera between them and no-one in the pits doing interviews of any sort , which always helps to break up the track coverage. In fact earlier this year I chatted with Andrew Marriott, who was involved last year and told me there was no way he was going to do anything for this years' event, it was so badly organised. Enough said!

#28 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 18:24

Further thoughts on admission charge- mine cost me about £75 as an early bookerfor all three days. Let's compare - Ry Cooder in concert - £50; decent meal out -£30 ++ per head; theatre ticket- £30- 50+ and last time I went to Royal Opera House £150. Even bloody BTCC crashfest is £30. I think the Classic is a bloody bargain for the time I will spend there.

#29 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 19:16

My actual cost is £21.93 per person per day, inc booking fee etc. Camping is £10 per person per day and we'll bring all our own food & booze, so you are looking at a total cost of £191.58 for a 3 night visit to the Classic for two people. IMHO that's reasonable in anyone's books.

#30 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 20:18

I'm only going this year to see the X-Factor rejects in the flesh.

#31 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 21:09

My actual cost is £21.93 per person per day, inc booking fee etc. Camping is £10 per person per day and we'll bring all our own food & booze, so you are looking at a total cost of £191.58 for a 3 night visit to the Classic for two people. IMHO that's reasonable in anyone's books.

Broken down like that it doesn`t seem too bad. There are ways and means of making these events `affordable` and when Joe Public sees $ or £ signs rolling around in three figures, he can be put off. The camping sounds good value Tony - always the best way to go in my eyes. Makes for an enjoyable easy going time with dome 4 wheeled action to boot!!....KM

#32 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 21:38

Broken down like that it doesn`t seem too bad.

But for the day tripper I think it's expensive (we're not all in the position that we can disappear from the family for the whole three days ! :well: I wish !) and that doesn't encourage younger/new spectators.

Edited by Morris S, 15 July 2010 - 21:40.

#33 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 21:58

and that doesn't encourage younger/new spectators.

Children 6-16 just £5 per day. 5 and under free.

#34 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 22:51

My rust will now be arriving on a flat-bed truck.

How embarrassing... :rolleyes:

#35 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:45

According to yesterday's issue of Autosport, accomplished historic racer Nick Wigley has bought the majority share in Classic Entertainment Events Ltd., the company that owns the licence to promote the festival at Silverstone for the next 15 years. Should be good news.

#36 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:07

My stand no is 57 in the Autojumble area. It looks to have been sorted out this year with all the stands off the runway.

#37 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:41

The child entrance price has always been a `grey` issue for me :well: . Fortunately for me, mine don`t start getting bored after a hour :D . Whenever I go to BH or DP the kids have enjoyed a bit of wandering knowing that a particular pit/garage is used as a rendevous point ;) . Mine are a bit older now but I do belive that the way to go for those with younger children would be for the circuits to create a couple play parks on site for the temporarily `bored` little ones :yawnface: to do something else :up: . How difficult would it be to do this and include a few picnic tables for the mum`s to sit down :rolleyes: somewhere while dad enjoys a bit of `him` time :cool: :drunk: with the lads?

#38 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 12:02

Hi,

Does anyone know a list of star drivers who shall be attending over the weekend?

Cheers. :up:

#39 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:14

Can't see many(any) star drivers.
Many who used to be good general drivers years ago,The has beens,Far outnumbered by the never has beens.
Its an Historic Race Meeting and except for Goodwood they don't cater for outdated superstars.Us entrants cannot afford to subsidise them nor want to as cannot see what they bring to the party.

Advertisement

#40 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:22

Well said, John!

#41 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:26

Can't see many(any) star drivers.
Many who used to be good general drivers years ago,The has beens,Far outnumbered by the never has beens.
Its an Historic Race Meeting and except for Goodwood they don't cater for outdated superstars.Us entrants cannot afford to subsidise them nor want to as cannot see what they bring to the party.

Well said, John!

First and foremost the Silverstone Classic IS a race meeting and not a procession up a rather slight incline. It is the racing and the cars that are the attraction rather than faded superstars. I am sure there will be plenty of good driving and close racing after all that is what we want.

:up:

#42 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 16:49

First and foremost the Silverstone Classic IS a race meeting and not a procession up a rather slight incline

If you have another look at what John Ruston said you'll find he was comparing the Silverstone Classic with the Goodwood race meeting, which is far from being a procession up a rather slight incline

And if you've ever walked from Molcombe to the finish-line of the Goodwoof Festival of Speed I don't think you'd call it a slight incline :)

#43 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 17:03

I was just saying that if you want to see old and some of the newer well known drivers around old cars the only place are the two Goodwood events.

It works extremely well and deserves its success although I don't think there is much press on driving at the Hill Climb unless the driver is a bit silly.

Silverstone is now the foremost Historic Open Race Meeting in UK.

Not up to the Spa 6 hr meeting but the potential to go close.

May all change with new owner.

No WSM on Saturday evening,not good.

#44 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 17:47

No WSM on Saturday evening,not good.

Simon Hadfield told me this is down to the 'elf & Safety brigade, who had issues with flash photography distracting the drivers............. :drunk:

Edited by Giraffe, 16 July 2010 - 17:49.

#45 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 18:00

So the Italian Sports Car drivers are not effected by it?

I usuallly agree with great man but that ones hard to fathom!

#46 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 18:11

So the Italian Sports Car drivers are not effected by it?

I usuallly agree with great man but that ones hard to fathom!

Simon said he didn't have a problem with it, even at La Source at Spa by night where the photographers are leaning virtually into the car, but someone had an issue with it, and that was the reason given, John. (PS Thanks for your PM; you may regret it!)

#47 SteveG

SteveG

• 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 18:35

I found last years event disappointing and the whole pre-event feel of this one gives me the impression it will be much the same, sadly. The flyers I have seen seem to emphasise the music with some cars in the background, never a good starting point in my book and I'm sorry to say Silverstone doesn't have the atmosphere or viewing places where you can ever feel part of the event. The Goodwood Revival is without question the greatest Historic event on the planet, the 2008 event I attended was the best motorsport event I have ever been to, simply epic and Silverstone is a pale imitation.

I shall not be attending this time around, Gold Cup Oulton please. Less epic cars, MUCH more epic race circuit at which to watch motor racing and no sodding Jedwood!

Edited by SteveG, 16 July 2010 - 18:36.

#48 john aston

john aston

• 2,700 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 18:57

I must admit I don't agree at all; Gold Cup should be great but actually went downhill quickly after the first historic version about 4 years ago,Goodwood Revival is amazing but I could do without the pantomime of people with little interest in motor sport wandering around in fancy dress.I found the Classic brilliant as it seemed to be fiull of enthusiasts and amazing machinery. Yes , Goodwood has its GTOs but not 70s Sports racers and GP cars. It is also possible to wander around anywhere you want- not possible at Goodwood- only got in paddock last time by blagging a press ticket from somebody at our B and B.Shame about the circuit though- Goodwood is absolutely superb 'out in the country' whereas you need binoculars at Silverstone....

ps - agree about the music. Jedward - FFS. I will be downing claret at Priors Marston by the time those talentless oiks appear..

Edited by john aston, 16 July 2010 - 18:58.

#49 SteveG

SteveG

• 26 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 19:07

I remember when they started calling Silverstone Stalag Silverstone, that was in the early 80's. Today it's Colditz Silverstone viewed from Broadmoor! Goodwood is so refreshing with the ability to walk around the entire place while being very close to the circuit and with the highest fence around 4 feet. I remember when the craner curves at Donny used to have a path running alongside them, not 30000000 feet back as they are today.

:(

#50 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 19:51

I am only interested in going to get some of my old photos signed, that's why I'm interested in who'll be attending. So far only Moss is confirmed, and I spent ages chatting to him at Goodwood. It's difficult to know whether to even bother with this event. :well: