Photo

Marshals: how to join, salary, tasks...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 J-Raid

J-Raid

• 193 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:20

Hi, was wondering about something that normally isn't getting much attention in the media, the unfortunately underrated work of stewards.

I'm mainly referring to the track stewards, not the ones that make sporting decisions. So, especially if someone here was done that job, here are the questions:
How to become a steward?
What is the salary? I mean both for the permanent stewards of the circuit and those that only join for a certain race?
All the tasks, not just the ones apparent on TV
Approx. schedule ie in a race day?

Think it's an interesting topic, and bet more than one among you may seriously think of becoming one at some point...

Edited by J-Raid, 13 May 2010 - 09:21.

Advertisement

#2 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:22

trackside martials are volunteers even for f1

#3 J-Raid

J-Raid

• 193 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:29

trackside martials are volunteers even for f1

From my understanding they do get economic retribution, mainly to cover the associated costs though...That's why I'm asking about salary, lets see ;)

#4 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:30

From my understanding they do get economic retribution, mainly to cover the associated costs though...That's why I'm asking about salary, lets see ;)

I don't think there's a salary. As was said, they'd get reimbursed for stuff like travel, but it's volunteer work.

#5 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:35

I don't think there's a salary. As was said, they'd get reimbursed for stuff like travel, but it's volunteer work.

im pretty sure they have to pay for the first aid courses and training out of their own pocket.

its not something you can do to make money its something people do to get closer to a sport

#6 J-Raid

J-Raid

• 193 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:46

Ok, and of course I acknowledge they aren't there to make big bucks! ;)

WHat about the other aspects?

Edited by J-Raid, 13 May 2010 - 09:49.

#7 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 8,584 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 09:47

If you want to get closer to Formula 1, there are easier ways. Strip naked and wrap yourself in a bed sheet with religious nonsense scribbled all over it, then wander into the path of Formula 1 cars at Hockenhiem or even Silverstone.

Edited by RedBaron, 13 May 2010 - 09:47.

#8 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,126 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:42

If you want to get closer to Formula 1, there are easier ways. Strip naked and wrap yourself in a bed sheet with religious nonsense scribbled all over it, then wander into the path of Formula 1 cars at Hockenhiem or even Silverstone.

Judging by the excellent rugby tackle, being a steward is also the closest you can get to these guys AND the sport at the same time. Win-win!

#9 threep

threep

• 111 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:17

The only way you can earn a living from being an official at race meetings is if you do somerthing like join the official motorsport body for your country (e.g. the MSA in the UK) or the FIA. But you only get that chance if you've already spent years or more likely decades in motorport essentially giving your time for free, undertaken the training, building the experience, organised events etc.

I guess there are some competition series which have full-time organisers too, but there are probably not that many.

#10 zoombie

zoombie

• 451 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:17

I think it varied from country to country but for the most part, I'm sure they don't get pay, don't think they even get compensation for travelling to the event.
You need to look at your country national motorsport association, they will have info on how to becoming a track steward.
here;s an example in becoming one in australia
http://www.cams.com..../Officials.aspx

#11 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,067 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 14:53

For clarification, the guys that work on the corner posts pushing cars away, flagging and whatnot are marshals. Stewards are in Race Control taking decisions. :) Corrected the title therefore.

#12 schumaster

schumaster

• 117 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 15:12

I went to Belgian GP last year and happened to sit next to a track marshall in the bus....

We had a chat and it's a volunteer work...he will be reimbursed for the travel cost, and thats all

#13 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 15:16

I think it varied from country to country but for the most part, I'm sure they don't get pay, don't think they even get compensation for travelling to the event.
You need to look at your country national motorsport association, they will have info on how to becoming a track steward.
here;s an example in becoming one in australia
http://www.cams.com..../Officials.aspx

The UK RACMSA site with details on marshalling is http://www.gomotorsp...lp/default.html

I'm sure that most MSA's have similar schemes to get people involved.

#14 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 22:08

J-Raid, you get a gold star for spelling marshal correctly!

where is Father Horan these days?

#15 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 22:16

J-Raid, you get a gold star for spelling marshal correctly!

where is Father Horan these days?

Well this was the last time i saw him;

#16 svxdriver

svxdriver

• 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:53

I'm a marshal. At most events you'll find a stall amongst the trade stands with all the information you need on applying to be a marshal. There are flag marshals, incident marshals, scrutineers, post chiefs etc etc. You get a 'meal' allowance (currently £5 per day) at the GP, a free programme and a guest ticket. For other events like BTCC you get a programme and guest ticket - no allowance. You do not get travelling expenses as far as I am aware within the UK, but I believe it is available if you are accepted to marshal abroad. As someone states earlier on this thread, we are volunteers and do it because we like motorsport. I'll take this opportunity to thank other marshals who give up their time and money to enable motorsports events to take place. There are good days and bad days. It was the latter last weekend when there was a fatality at Thruxton in the GT race. Sympathy to all involved. There were also fatalities abroad recently at the Nurburgring and the middle east where British marshals were on duty. You have to be prepared for these occasions which thankfully are rare. Don't expect to join up and get an immediate pass to the GP - it doesn't happen like that. However, the 'smaller' events are much more enjoyable! Also, the marshals for motorcycle racing are specifically trained for dealing with bikes and riders - they have a tendancy to go in different directions and you need two sets of eyes to avoid either!!

#17 loki

loki

• 12,297 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:44

Pro level stock car racing is about the only place I've seen paid officials both full and part time. For road racing it's mostly SCCA which is along the lines of the way you lot do it over there. Except we call them corner workers. ;) The circle track guys usually start at local short tracks and work their way up and the road course workers start by joining SCCA. It takes a while in either to work your way up the ladder. Most do it for the same reason we race, the love of the sport.

#18 fenixracing

fenixracing

• 340 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:58

I'm a marshal. At most events you'll find a stall amongst the trade stands with all the information you need on applying to be a marshal. There are flag marshals, incident marshals, scrutineers, post chiefs etc etc. You get a 'meal' allowance (currently £5 per day) at the GP, a free programme and a guest ticket. For other events like BTCC you get a programme and guest ticket - no allowance. You do not get travelling expenses as far as I am aware within the UK, but I believe it is available if you are accepted to marshal abroad. As someone states earlier on this thread, we are volunteers and do it because we like motorsport. I'll take this opportunity to thank other marshals who give up their time and money to enable motorsports events to take place. There are good days and bad days. It was the latter last weekend when there was a fatality at Thruxton in the GT race. Sympathy to all involved. There were also fatalities abroad recently at the Nurburgring and the middle east where British marshals were on duty. You have to be prepared for these occasions which thankfully are rare. Don't expect to join up and get an immediate pass to the GP - it doesn't happen like that. However, the 'smaller' events are much more enjoyable! Also, the marshals for motorcycle racing are specifically trained for dealing with bikes and riders - they have a tendancy to go in different directions and you need two sets of eyes to avoid either!!

the same goes for belgium the only thing you get is one of the best places to watch the race

#19 Andy Davies

Andy Davies

• 191 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:57

For the UK try here - http://www.marshals.co.uk/