- - - - -

Best F1/motorsport books

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 14:55

Looking for some good reading material aside from Autosport to read in the garden while it's summer. What are your favourite F1 books? Or motorsport books in general? I'm not looking for anything specific, and they could relate to anything! Biographies, autobiographies, journals, extended articles: anything really.

Hopefully a list of recommended reading material could be built up, and it would help other forum-goers out :)

Apologies if this isn't really fit for the Racing Comments section of the board

http://forums.atlasf...showtopic=63160
http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=4530171

‘Williams: The Legendary Story of Frank Williams and His F1 Team in Their Own Words' by Maurice Hamilton
Power And Glory by William Court
Overdrive by Clyde Brolin
Formula 1 The Autobiography. Edited by Gerry Donalson.
Peter Brock's biography on Enzo Ferrari
Grand Prix Requiem by William Court
"Winning is not Enough" by Jackie Stewart
'Top Dead Center', by Kevin Cameron
"The Grand Prix Saboteurs" by Joe Saward
Terry Lovell's "Bernie's Game"
Perry McCarthy's "Flat Out Flat Broke"
David Coulthard's "It Is What It Is"
Steve Matchett's Book, "The Mechanic's Tale: Life in the Pit Lanes of Formula One"
Eddie Jordan's "An independant man"
Tom Rubython's 'The Life of Ayrton Senna'.
'Adrienne - My Life with Ayrton' by Adrienne Galisteau
'The Death of Ayrton Senna' by Richard Williams
Gilles Villeneuve 'Life of The Legendary Racing Driver' by Gerald Donaldson
'The Lost Generation' by David Tremayne
Senna vs Prost by Malcolm Folley
The Unfair Advantage, by Paul Van Valkenburgh
'Memoirs of a racing man" by Jo Ramirez
"Chequered Flag : 100 Years of Motor Racing" by Ivan Rendall

Edited by Gene and Tonic, 07 August 2010 - 18:51.

Advertisement

#2 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 15:42

I read 'Williams: The Legendary Story of Frank Williams and His F1 Team in Their Own Words' by Maurice Hamilton recently, and can highly recommend it. Its very insightful and if you have followed F1 for a while it reveals the truth behind some of the more 'curious' decisions Frank Williams made in his time.

#3 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:05

This is an old bookmark of mine (the url itself should tell you how old it is) but ... it has a lot of decent recommendations, I ll just point you there instead of repeating them http://forums.atlasf...showtopic=63160

(for newer people atlasf1 was the original incarnation of this very board)

Edited by engel, 04 August 2010 - 16:06.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:09

Hie yourself over to the Nostalgia Forum, there's a thread there called Ten Books To Build A Library Upon which plucks out the choicest blooms for the brightest of narrative nosegays.

Or if you're feeling bold try to tackle the Everest that is the Pete Fenelon Memorial Thread (a sticky). Pete's reviews are still on amazon and are often a better read than the book itself. Certainly a good starter guide.

But be warned. The wallet will take a hit.

If you restricted yourself to one, "Power And Glory" by William Court. £40 or so on abebooks, but SO worth the money. Elegantly written and covering the pre-championship period that is too often overlooked.

#5 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:16

If you restricted yourself to one, "Power And Glory" by William Court. £40 or so on abebooks, but SO worth the money. Elegantly written and covering the pre-championship period that is too often overlooked.

I'll second this. Another one of my favorites covering the pre-F1 Grand Prix scene is Chris Nixon's "Racing the Silver Arrows."

#6 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:20

Currently reading 'Overdrive' by Clyde Brolin (a nom de plume?), which is a fascinating insight into how top drivers manage to enter 'the zone' and how the instinctively drive at the limit.

Great stuff.

#7 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,075 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:22

Formula 1 The Autobiography. Edited by Gerry Donalson.

Also, Peter Brock's biography on Enzo Ferrari.

Edited by Nathan, 04 August 2010 - 17:23.

#8 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:27

Currently reading 'Overdrive' by Clyde Brolin (a nom de plume?), which is a fascinating insight into how top drivers manage to enter 'the zone' and how the instinctively drive at the limit.

Great stuff.

I believe it is his real name - a good choice.

I would recommend Grand Prix Requiem by William Court - eloquent, thought provoking and captivating. The only book I wouldn't consider selling from my collection.

#9 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 17:55

"Winning is not Enough" by Jackie Stewart is a good read.

#10 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 18:10

'Top Dead Center', by Kevin Cameron. Even if it's not a book, per se, more a collection of his articles and essays.

#11 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 19:31

"The Grand Prix Saboteurs" by Joe Saward.

#12 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 19:35

Must get around to trying to read that again. Bought it a couple of years ago and gave up two chapters in, as I found it was a little over-detailed.

#13 metz

metz

• 15,871 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 19:44

To understand F1, one must first understand Bernie Ecclestone. Terry Lovell's "Bernie's Game", is a must for this and will take you up to 2003.
For the ups and downs and a little black humour, try Perry McCarthy's "Flat Out Flat Broke".
And there is always the relatively current and surprisingly well written David Coulthard's "It Is What It Is"

#14 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 19:46

I enjoyed Steve Matchett's Book, "The Mechanic's Tale: Life in the Pit Lanes of Formula One"

I also enjoyed Niki Lauda's books. Although they are dated a bit. It is funny to read Niki writing in his book about the old timers who hang around the sport because they have nothing better to do. Niki became what he once loathed. :lol:

I also have a collection of the "Driver Profile" book series put out by Autosport. Although I don't know if they still produce those books.

I forgot Alex Zanardi's book, that was gut wrenching but excellent.

Edited by Watkins74, 04 August 2010 - 23:13.

#15 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 19:47

"Winning is not Enough" by Jackie Stewart is a good read.

That it is. A great little dvd with it too. (in my copy anyway)

Eddie Jordan's "An independant man" is good too.

#16 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 19:58

I like Christopher Hilton's compilation biography of Ayrton Senna from 2004 :)

I also find his Schumacher biography entertaining, but Senna's life is more dramatic and easier to depict. Both are good reads, nevertheless!

#17 racerbaz

racerbaz

• 78 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 20:52

I like Christopher Hilton's compilation biography of Ayrton Senna from 2004 :)

I also find his Schumacher biography entertaining, but Senna's life is more dramatic and easier to depict. Both are good reads, nevertheless!

Best Motorsport Books.

The best and most thorough story of the life of Ayrton Senna is Tom Rubython's 'The Life of Ayrton Senna'.
A more intimate story by Ayrton's girlfriend is 'Adrienne - My Life with Ayrton' by Adrienne Galisteau.
'The Death of Ayrton Senna' by Richard Williams is a smaller book but no less superb.

The best and most readable record of 1930's racing is the brilliant 'Silver Arrows' by Chris Nixon.
'Rosemeyer' also written by Chris Nixon is another thoroughly researched standard work on the personable and mercurial German 1930's Auto Union ace.'Mercedes Benz - Grand Prix Racing 1934 - 1955' by George Monkhouse tells the story of the Silver Arrows in beautiful black & white photographs with a lot more inciteful stories besides.'Speed was my Life' was written by the legendary Mercedes team manager Alfred Neubauer and is full of racey stories of pre-war racing.

The two best books on our 'national treasure' Sir Stirling Moss that I have read, are 'All but my Life' by written back in the 60's by Ken Purdy with Stirling's full cooperation and 'Stirling Moss - My Cars, My Career' Stirling Moss with Doug Nye.
The first is a bit psychological & philosophical giving an insite into how our hero approached,enjoyed and survived motor racing. The second more about how he viewed the tools of his trade and their relative merits and shortcomings.

Both 'Challenge me the Race' & 'Champion Year' by Mike Hawthorn are cracking reads recounting a more carefree age when partying were as important as the racing and Mike was brilliant at both.'Mon Ami Mate' again by Chris Nixon, is a dual history of the story of great pals Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins. A more recently published biography of Mike Hawthorn is 'Mike Hawthorn - The Golden Boy' by Tony Bailey & Paul Skiliter. This is a really thorough story of Mike Hawthorn and with the other three books will tell you all you would ever need to know about Britain's first World Champion.

If you are looking for insights into the people in motor racing then 'The Legendary Years', 'Behind the Scenes' & 'Strictly off the Record' by ex BRM man Louis Stanley will certainly cover the 60's & 70's, and the big man's contribution to safety at this time is much underrated. Two other books on the people involved in various parts of the business are 'Grand Prix People' by Gerald Donaldson and 'Inside Formula One' by the greatest present-day motor racing writer Nigel Roebuck.

If you are into McLaren then 'Teamwork' by Gerald Donaldson tells you all about the people who work behind the scenes in Woking, and 'To Finish First' by ex Team Manager Phil Kerr will give you the full entertaining history of the team.

'A Different Kind of Life' by Sir Frank Williams's wife Virginia is one of the very motor racing best biographies I have ever read. It tells the story of how Virginia met and fell in love with Sir Frank and how they built a winning team. Then it goes on to tell the story of his terrible accident and how they coped with that. A totally brilliant book.
'Winning is Not Enough' by Jackie Stewart is his official biography and tells the story of an incredibly busy and succesful life or rather several busy and successful lives ! He doesn't only stick to motor racing either and it is a big book that you won't be able to put down.
'Life At The Limit' by Graham Hill is a classic story of 60's & 70's motor racing at the highest level, a very entertaining man who seemed to thoroughly enjoy what was to be a tragically short life. 'Jim Clark at the Wheel' by Jim Clark is written in a more modest and self-effacing way which was typical of the man out of the car - but what a tiger in the car ! .
'To Hell and Back' is the story of Niki Lauda's amazing recovery from his traumatic accident - I don't think it could happen today but then how many more men do we have like Niki ?
'Colin Chapman - The Man and his Cars' by written by 'Jabby' Crombac tell the full story of another genius who was a great and inspiring leader and one of F1's greatest ever design innovators.
'Eddie Jordan - An Independant Man - The Autobiography' by Eddie Jordan is like the man vastly entertaining but written with the common touch of a man who is never afraid to say what he means yet you cannot dislike him. Another ripping biography.

If you are looking for the best histories then 'The Complete History of Grand Prix Motor Racing' by Adriano Cimarosti contains so much with maps, signatures, posters etc etc. 'Power and Glory - Volumes 1 & 2' are the standard well-written literary works on the history of motor racing and 'Grand Prix Reqium' also by William Court tells the stories of the drivers who paid with their lives for their love of motor racing.
One of the greatest achievements of recent times has been the private publication of the set of volumes called 'A Record of Grand Prix and Voiturete Racing' by Paul Sheldon. This industrious doctor has done no less than complied a complete historical record of all the top line single-seater racing entry list and results since the sport's inception. These volumes are a complete treasure-trove of information on the sport.
'Time and Two Seats' by Janos Wimfen is a boxed pair of substantial volumes on the record of sports-car & prototype racing. Lots of maps, photos and fascinating statistics. Another standard work.
'Silverstone - 50 Golden Years' published by the BRDC is the story of out favourite airfield and a more modest version published in paperback was 40 Silverstone Years edited by Ray Hutton.
'The Racing 1500's' by David Venables tells the story of 1930's voiturette racing with maps of less well-known circuits and stories of a bye-gone age.
'A Record of Motor Racing 1894 - 1908' by Gerald Rose is history for the very early days when endurance was a important factor than speed. Still the very best on this period and the standard work.

The remaining books in my personal list are ones perhaps that are less easy top group. 'The Science of Safety' by David Tremaine is the story of how motor racing was gradually forced to come to terms with safety. Each horific accident produced a reaction which gradually helped to reduce the death-rate. It is an absolutely fascinatingly evolving story.
'The Racing Driver' by Dennis Jenkinson is the classic treatise on what is required and is written by the greatest motor sport writer of his day.'Formula One - The Cars and Drivers' by Michael Turner & Nigel Roebuck tells the stories of great motor races using the paintings of Britain's greatest motorsport artist Michael Turner.Nigel Roebuck tells the stories behind the paintings, often using insightful driver quotes and recordings.
A recently published book is 'Classic Motorsport Routes' by Richard Meaden who illustrates and maps classic roads such as the Col De Turini and the Targa Florio that you find and then drive yourself. However your better-half may not be quite as keen ! The last book I would recommend for the serious motor sport book collector is 'The Constant Search' by Charles Mortimer. This is a collectors search list with little reviews of all the significant books up to the 80's rarity-values and as much detail as you could possibly want.

#18 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 21:27

Gilles Villeneuve 'Life of The Legendary Racing Driver' by Gerald Donaldson is pretty much essential.

http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0753507471

I need to read 'The Lost Generation' by David Tremayne too.

#19 Gregor Marshall

Gregor Marshall

• 1,323 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 21:31

My recommendation http://www.haynes.co.../...7&langId=-1

;)

Advertisement

#20 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 22:16

The autobiographies of Perry McCarthy and Tommy Byrne stand out as extremely entertaining and highly readable accounts of two men who didn't get the right breaks, but still enjoyed every minute (almost!) of their racing careers.

#21 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 22:20

Its not F1 but .. I love Pete Lyon's Canam books. :)

#22 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 4,701 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 23:12

I'll second this, it's an absolutely amazing story, and it ties 2 important historical periods that I find fascinating together: pre-war racing and WWII itself.
I have too many books on the subject to count, but in terms of recent reads I'd recommend Robert Daley's "Cars at Speed", an outsider's perspective on GP racing in the late 50s. I'd also go with the suggestion for "The Complete History of Grand Prix Motor Racing". It was a christmas present for me when I was younger and literally was the kickstart for my obsession with F1 history and cars.

#23 smee

smee

• 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:38

I've just finished Senna vs Prost by Malcolm Folley, and it was a great read.

The favourites in my collection would be Christopher Hilton's book on 1982 season, and the Grand Prix annuals from 1986 to 1989 I was given as a lad written by Nigel Roebuck.

#24 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:46

Wow, great responses! I'll try to update the first post to contain all the books - and thanks engel for pointing to that thread

#25 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:52

The best and most readable record of 1930's racing is the brilliant 'Silver Arrows' by Chris Nixon.

I thought the full title was "Racing the Silver Arrows", but you're right, it's a great book. Difficult to get hold of and I felt very smug when I found one.

#26 Elliux

Elliux

• 99 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:17

I absolutely loved The Unfair Advantage, by Paul Van Valkenburgh
Posted Image

Such an amazing insight in the process of developing a race winning car, and the great story of one of the finest development drivers of all times :)

#27 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 14:42

Such an amazing insight in the process of developing a race winning car, and the great story of one of the finest development drivers of all times :)

:wave: :)

#28 Elliux

Elliux

• 99 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 18:08

:wave: :)

Well, that was obvious! :lol:

Anyone able to tame a 917/30 must be an astonishing driver, that thing had almost 1600bhp in qualifying trim, it's scary just to imagine that! :eek:

#29 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 18:14

"Winning is not Enough" by Jackie Stewart is a good read, I loved reading of his childhood and life into F1, also loved the f1 tales and anything related to Francois Cevert but I found the 2nd half of the book to be pretty boring and got tired of all the celebrity nonsense.

'Memoirs of a racing man" by Jo Ramirez was a superb read from cover to cover although I'd wished he'd gone into more details of his Tyrrell times and more stuff on Francois but its an excellent read. read it half a dozen times now it never fails to move me.

#30 forsureS

forsureS

• 63 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 20:50

I've had 'Overdrive' - Clyde Brolin for about a month now and it is still sitting next to my laptop, staring at me at this very moment. Now that there's weeks of F1 break, I will finally get to read the book beyond 10 pages.

This is a great thread as being a young fan who who wasn't around to witness the sport in the 80s-90s, I would want to watch and read about that era. Might pick up Frank Williams' books next!

#31 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 21:53

If I was to suddenly forget everything I know, I'd want a book that covered the history of the sport quite well.

For that reason, I'd suggest "Chequered Flag : 100 Years of Motor Racing" by Ivan Rendall. If you want to know about the history of the sport but don't know where to start, this book is perfect.

#32 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,151 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 22:51

'Memoirs of a racing man" by Jo Ramirez was a superb read from cover to cover although I'd wished he'd gone into more details of his Tyrrell times and more stuff on Francois but its an excellent read. read it half a dozen times now it never fails to move me.

Seconded. :up:

#33 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 16:36

http://www.amazon.co...s...4568&sr=8-1

Now that does look like an interesting book - anyone read it before?

#34 Berlinette

Berlinette

• 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 17:49

http://www.amazon.co...s...4568&sr=8-1

Now that does look like an interesting book - anyone read it before?

Not what I expected, as all the cars features on the book are from nineties and noughties: '95/'97 Dome, '97 Lola, Toyota TF101, McLaren MP4-18 and Premier/Superfund Formula. It was an interesting idea, but the book could have been much better...

#35 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 18:07

Think I will get that then - there's something peculiar about cars that were built but never raced. And I'm a 90's kid so the era sits well with me! BTW I've updated the first post to include everyone's recommendations - will probably bookmark the thread for future reference!

Edited by Gene and Tonic, 09 August 2010 - 18:08.

#36 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 18:14

Oh, and Neil Spalding's 'MotoGP Technology' is almost required reading for a follower of bike racing. The new edition goes up to 2009 and Ducati's famous carbon semi-monocoque.

Edited by Risil, 09 August 2010 - 18:14.

#37 Frans

Frans

• 8,753 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:00

I've read the Dutch translated version of Terry Lovell's "Bernie's Game".

Pretty interesting stuff in there, and a little eyeopener in Bernie's mind/game.

#38 Gordon McCabe

Gordon McCabe

• 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 13:31

For those interested in the subject of Clyde Brolin's 2010 book Overdrive, here's a particularly vivid account of what it feels like for a racing driver to be 'in the zone'. Those who fancy a challenge might wish to identify the driver. Incorrect guesses on my own blog have so far included Moss, Senna, and Stewart.

"When I'm in that groove, I can go on forever. I wish I knew how I got into that state. I don't. I simply find myself in it...

"Then I drive out of that window in my helmet. I look through that window and what I see out of it is the sole and only thing that exists in the whole wide world; everything is happening out there in front of me. My legs and arms and every other part of me are just parts of a whole and doing what they're supposed to be doing automatically, so that I don't have to think consciously about gearing or braking or accelerating; that's all going on without any orders from me. I concentrate, intensely, on everything that's in front of me: be it a car or a corner, there's an invisible line extending from that window in my head to whatever's next. My body is in unison. It doesn't really exist; it's compacted, the whole of me is bunched up tight inside that little area of plexiglass. I'm entirely in my helmet and I think of myself as being the helmet, looking out. Everything, body or car, obeys that module.

"The sensation is not physical...I'm seeing more than I ever have before. My vision is enlarged and the sensation is purely mental."

#39 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 15:26

Does anyone know if the William Court books are likely to be republished or where they can be purchased? looked on Amazon and Abe books but they cost a fortune even on ebay they can be reaching £100...

Advertisement

#40 Barky

Barky

• 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 16:32

Two great technical books are:

Ferrari Formula 1: Under the Skin of the Championship-Winning F1-2000 by Peter Wright
Posted Image

Colin Chapman: Inside the Innovator by Karl Ludvigson
Posted Image

#41 sw6569

sw6569

• 74 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 16:38

I enjoyed Martin Brundle's autobiography 'working the wheel'

#42 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 17:50

Does anyone know if the William Court books are likely to be republished or where they can be purchased? looked on Amazon and Abe books but they cost a fortune even on ebay they can be reaching £100...

:confused: There's a good few here well under a ton.

Mind you, they're all volume 1...although that is the one to have.

#43 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 19:07

Race without end - Maurice Hamilton.
Great read about jordans 1993 season. Its unbelievable how little they could run an f1 team back then. Barrichellos 1st season too!

#44 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 19:11

Just finished Memories of The Bear: A biography of Denny Hulme, excellent read.

#45 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 21:26

Steve Matchett's book, The Chariot Makers: Assembling The Perfect Formula 1 Car, is an absolute must-read for anybody who really wants to get into the nitty-gritty of car design and concepts. It explains a lot in very simple to understand terminology.

#46 The Oracle

The Oracle

• 104 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 21:30

I enjoyed Martin Brundle's autobiography 'working the wheel'

Wouldn't really call that an autobiography as it basically gives an racing drivers account of driving the majority of the current F1 courses (plus Le Mans) in use - that said still a good read, Steve Machetts other two books, Life in the fast lane - basically his personal diary of the 1994 season from the Benneton pit lane - well done Steve for having the forsight to record such an "eventful" season and, The Chariot Makers in which he breaks down the process of building an F1 car and outlines the changes over the years. F1 Fanatic is another good one - translated from Dutch it is the story of a young dutchman and his passion for F1 as he grows up in the 70's - the books on a shelf somewhere and I forget the authors name its somthing like Korem Vergeer (sp??) there are a few intersting translations but otherwise a really good read - go on tell me you didn't do half the stuff he did when you were 7!

#47 The Oracle

The Oracle

• 104 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 21:32

Lokiman:

Beat me by mere moments to the Chariot Makers.

#48 TooTroublesome

TooTroublesome

• 92 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:05

Yeah the intro to Martin Brundles book even says it is not an autobiography. I read the first two tracks last night, Melbourne and Rio de Janeiro and they give a very good account of his races and experiences there and also the off-track troubles the circuits/areas have. It covers 18 tracks and 10 of them are still on the calender today. Definitly going to continue reading it after I post this.

#49 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 16:36

Any of Steve Matchett's books are a good read if you're interested about what life in a Formula One team is like. The Chariot Makers goes into great detail about the workings of a Formula One car, The Mechanic's Tale is a great read if you want more insight into what getting and having a job as an F1 mechanic is like, and Life in the Fast Lane provides some entertaining reading about what was going on in the Benetton team during the 1994 season and how party-hardy F1 teams can be. :p None of these are overly long--each is about 250 pages--but they're all worth the time, in my opinion.

#50 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 17:48

Race without end - Maurice Hamilton.
Great read about jordans 1993 season. Its unbelievable how little they could run an f1 team back then. Barrichellos 1st season too!

i like this book as well, i've read it a few times.
btw - if you like the 93 book, i'd recommend to pick up a similar book by Hamilton on Jordon's 98 season, it's like a part II of the 93 book.