Photo

TNF meeting in the SW at VSCC Predscott?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:18

Looks like I'll have Saturday off and will be able to make it up to this weekends VSCC meeting at Presscott unfortunately I won't be able to take my lotorcycle at 90cc the engine is too small for the M5 :-)

I have never been to Prescott before if any TNFer's would like to meet up and knows an easy to find location on the hill please leave a message below or PM me with a prefered time and location.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:24

I'd love to be there, Art, but sadly I have to be at a wedding in Deal. See you at Filton on 18th September, perhaps?

#3 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:31

I'll be there with my book stand which is located near the footbridge in the Orchard car park( along with about 19 other stalls of various kinds.)

You're all most welcome to use my stall as a meeting point. Anyone like to specify a time?

#4 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,503 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:35

I'll be there but on Sunday.

#5 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:15

I'll be there with my book stand which is located near the footbridge in the Orchard car park( along with about 19 other stalls of various kinds.)

You're all most welcome to use my stall as a meeting point. Anyone like to specify a time?

I'll pop by round midday Simon :-)

#6 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:54

A mate is using my Alta this weekend.First car I have had at Prescott for 15 years.
More Historic Car friendly than many of the so called up market meetings with commercial race organisers rather than clubs.
Remember it being a fantastic event.Hope it has notchanged.

#7 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 14:50

I'll pop by round midday Simon :-)

Midday it is!
Looking forward to it - always good to put a face to a TNF-name and this event is often quite good in that respect.

Just back from setting up the marquee at Prescott. Didn't have chance to check for anything in the paddock (it was rather early) but already the camping field filling upo with tents and motor homes. As ever the car parks at Prescott's VSCC meeting are far better stocked with the rare and exotic than most classic car shows you'll encounter!

#8 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 22:05

Midday it is!
Looking forward to it - always good to put a face to a TNF-name and this event is often quite good in that respect.

Just back from setting up the marquee at Prescott. Didn't have chance to check for anything in the paddock (it was rather early) but already the camping field filling upo with tents and motor homes. As ever the car parks at Prescott's VSCC meeting are far better stocked with the rare and exotic than most classic car shows you'll encounter!

I bet get my camera batteries charged and have an early night :-)

#9 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 05:38

Im just opposite Simon up the hill a bit pop in after

#10 ed holly

ed holly

• 387 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:18

A couple of TNFers from downunder will be there at the weekend .... John Ellacott and Ed Holly ... see you guys there

Ed

#11 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,770 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 15:40

Damn, I will be in Bristol tomorrow.

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 20:55

Simon lovely meeting you, sorry to have missed everyone else hope you all had a fab day too !

Here is one little pic before I fall asleep :-)

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Robert Ellis gets 'loose' in his Fraser Nash Super Sports, Pardon Hairpin, Prescott today :-)

More pics tomorrow when I have recovered, if I ever wake up again :stoned:

Edited by arttidesco, 07 August 2010 - 20:56.

#13 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:07

VSCC Hill Climb Prescott, England 7th Aug 2010.

On Saturday I managed to see some competitive driving, smell hot oil and listen to screeching tyres for the first time in nearly a year !!!!!

However this was not on a race track, it was at the 880 yard Prescott Hill Climb course a narrow strip of tarmac which accommodates just one vehicle at a time running against the clock.

Posted Image

The track located in the Cotswolds is situated about an hours drive from Bristol in SW England and is owned by the

Posted Image

Bugatti Owners Club who were playing host to an event organised by the Vintage Sports Car Club, better known as the VSCC. The 1925 T35B Bugatti above is driven by Adrian Goding.

Posted Image

The cars that ran were all pre 1939 from this chain driven 1901 Panhard Levassor conducted by Michael New to this cute

Posted Image

1928 Morgan Super Aero driven by Gary Caroline with a regular A-Z of forgotten manufacturers in between.

Of particular interest to fans of US vehicles was this

Posted Image

1917 Dodge Hornstead Special, driven by Andy Butcher which ran in the same Edwardian Automobile engined class as the

Posted Image

1918, Stutz Bearcat of Jonathan, Miller and the Panhard Levassor mentioned previously.

During the lunch brake I got talking with Robin Toone the driver of this fabulous

Posted Image

1930 Alfa Romeo 1750 who told me that he bought the car in 1960 for the same price as a brand new Austin Mini and had raced it every year since !

Posted Image

Among many of the 'fastest lorries in the world' at the meeting was this wonderful 1929 Bentley 3 litre Tourer driven here by Allan Winn.

Posted Image

The hither to more observant TNFer might have noticed a Bristol and a couple of Lagondas in the car park on the hill in the background, which turned out to be as Simon Lewis observed 'almost as exciting as the action on the track',

Posted Image

I wonder if any TNFers can tell me anything about the age and model 'Jaguar XK' above with circa 1977 number plates ?

Posted Image

Or do we have any experts who can tell us anything about this magnificent Panhard Levassor ?

Posted Image

There was never a dull moment at Prescott on Saturday and I'd recommend anyone who has never been to take the opportunity to enjoy a day on the hill. Above Steve Allen rounds the Semi Circle on his way to the finish line while Chris Mann exits Orchard Corner in his Bentley Derby down below.

I managed to get pics of about 80% of the entry from a vantage point on the outside of Pardon Hairpin if anybody has any requests :-)

#14 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:41

The jag appears to be one of those fibreglass bodied copies.

#15 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:20

The jag appears to be one of those fibreglass bodied copies.

A kit car? Thats simply not cricket!

#16 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:45

Good to meet up with Arttidesco , John and Ed on Saturday plus a couple of 'sleeper' TNF'rs who enjoy observing the banter on here but don't currently post, and with David, Roger and the others on Sunday when the weather was rather warmer - although the action got a little too warm on track at times (lots of red flags, hope everyone was OK?).

Rather pleased with my 4 wheeled guest, who graced the stand for most of Sunday and drew many admiring gazes...

Posted Image
And drew a few comments of "how do you get all your books in there?"... if only....

Thanks to Terry Cardy for bringing the old girl along and parking her up in such a suitable spot.

Does anyone know the history of the Testa Rossa that was on H&H's stand? Their advert in the programme mentioned "Ecurie Cuba" as the original owner. I wonder where the car went on Sunday afternoon, it was driven past my stand and then reappeared half an hour later. Test drive for a prospective bidder maybe? Didn't look like Chris Evans in the passenger seat....

#17 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,555 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 13:27

Posted Image

I wonder if any TNFers can tell me anything about the age and model 'Jaguar XK' above with circa 1977 number plates ?

A firm called Autotune manufactured the kits and I think they were called the Aristocat or something similar. They were available as (a) a kit, (b) part built, or © fully built. I always thought they looked so obviously fake that they were not worth having - at least one person thought otherwise!

:wave:

#18 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 13:48

Does anyone know the history of the Testa Rossa that was on H&H's stand? Their advert in the programme mentioned "Ecurie Cuba" as the original owner. I wonder where the car went on Sunday afternoon, it was driven past my stand and then reappeared half an hour later. Test drive for a prospective bidder maybe? Didn't look like Chris Evans in the passenger seat....

http://www.classic-a...amp;aucid=29728

#19 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 14:09

I wonder where the car went on Sunday afternoon, it was driven past my stand and then reappeared half an hour later.

It had a run up the hill - demo, presumably

Advertisement

#20 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 15:30

Thanks to Stephen W for identifying the 'Aristocat' looks like the donor car might have leaf springs on the front.

Posted Image

Here is a pic of what looks like a proper XK120 to make up the Replica :-)

Thanks for the link to info about the 500TRC that Simon Lewis mentioned Alan

Posted Image

Posted Image

here are some pics of the ex Ecurie Cuba 500 TRC chassis 0690 MD TR fitted with a 250 GT Lusso engine.

Posted Image

I noticed the Rev counter goes through a yellow, green and red sequence between 6000 & 7000 rpm does anyone understand that logic and is that the correct rev counter for the 250 GT Lusso engine V12 or the original four pot engine ?

Edited by arttidesco, 09 August 2010 - 15:31.

#21 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:52

http://www.classic-a...amp;aucid=29728

Thanks Alan. Intriguing stuff. Rather a famous/infamous car (in it's original guise). I think the video of the Cuban GP accident featured on one of the early HAVOC videos of the early 80s. Surprised that I couldn't find it on Youtube having had a search this morning.
I'm surprised H&H didn't have a better recent action photo for their website....

On the subject of Italian cars and hillclimbing - I'll be at the Shelsley Walsh event on 21-2 August which this year has a HUGE Alfa Romeo gathering promised.
There are specific Alfa Romeo and Lotus classes(including a 35 and a couple of 69s), as well as all the usual stuff including the British Hillclimb championship cars.
The latter, with minimal weight and enlarged ex F1 and Indycar engines are always a stirring/terrifying sight at the historic Worcestershire venue.
Sunday is £15 with under 16s free - so it won't break the bank.

#22 cdrewett

cdrewett

• 361 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 13:04

Thanks Alan. Intriguing stuff. Rather a famous/infamous car (in it's original guise). I think the video of the Cuban GP accident featured on one of the early HAVOC videos of the early 80s. Surprised that I couldn't find it on Youtube having had a search this morning.
I'm surprised H&H didn't have a better recent action photo for their website....

On the subject of Italian cars and hillclimbing - I'll be at the Shelsley Walsh event on 21-2 August which this year has a HUGE Alfa Romeo gathering promised.
There are specific Alfa Romeo and Lotus classes(including a 35 and a couple of 69s), as well as all the usual stuff including the British Hillclimb championship cars.
The latter, with minimal weight and enlarged ex F1 and Indycar engines are always a stirring/terrifying sight at the historic Worcestershire venue.
Sunday is £15 with under 16s free - so it won't break the bank.

Just to add a little to what Simon says, as well as two competitive classes for Alfa Romeos there will be a parade of historic Alfas as well as demonstration runs by some that are even more historic, eg Type 33.
If you haven't seen modern hillclimb cars in action, get to Crossing corner at Shelsley and be prepared to have your mind blown.
Simon, what about a TNF get together at your place?
Chris

#23 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 13:45

Just to add a little to what Simon says, as well as two competitive classes for Alfa Romeos there will be a parade of historic Alfas as well as demonstration runs by some that are even more historic, eg Type 33.
If you haven't seen modern hillclimb cars in action, get to Crossing corner at Shelsley and be prepared to have your mind blown.
Simon, what about a TNF get together at your place?
Chris

I'd be delighted - Noon on both days?

My stall, and about 20 others from what I hear, will be located down by Kennel Bend, about 100 yards up from the start.
Rather conveniently this is at the front edge of the car park and on the route between the paddock and the hill, for those unfamiliar with the layout.

I should have some of Chris Davis' spectacular bronze sculptures on display as well as the usual assortment of stuff.

#24 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 13:50

An abiding memory for me was on Saturday morning.

An Austin 7 went too fast into Pardon Hairpin and started to capsize. As a reflex action, the driver stretched out his right arm to break his fall ... his glove actually touched the tarmac before the car righted itself and he drove off without having to stop :)

#25 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 14:01

An abiding memory for me was on Saturday morning.

An Austin 7 went too fast into Pardon Hairpin and started to capsize. As a reflex action, the driver stretched out his right arm to break his fall ... his glove actually touched the tarmac before the car righted itself and he drove off without having to stop :)

On Saturday there was a red flag after an eagle eyed marshal had spotted some debris had fallen from a competing car on to the track which turned out to be a pair of scissors, despite it only being practice said competitor was not given a time ! :-)

#26 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:02

A short video blog on Prescott :-)

#27 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:26

Now I have had the opportunity to look through some 400 pics I took on Saturday I now have a torrent of questions, I'd be most grateful for any answers :-)

Posted Image

First this shiny 1935 Fraser Nash BMW 315/1 driven by Oliver Penney stood out like a sore thumb because its bodywork

Posted Image

is unlike any Fraser Nash BMW I have ever seen before, with its wings incorporated into the overall body shell, not unlike the 1935 Jankowits design, looks way ahead of anything else running in it's class, does any one know anything about who designed and or built it ?

#28 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:39

According the the Williams & Pritchard Register site, this was the first body they ever produced:

http://www.williamsa...k/numberone.htm

(This site is run by TNFer Tim Saunders, who posts here as 'W&P Register')

Edited by Tim Murray, 12 August 2010 - 11:43.

#29 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 13:19

Thanks Tim, fascinating story of what turns out to be an advanced body even from 1948 :up:

Posted Image

Next up the 1921 Vauxhall 30-98 E-Type Velox, above could be either the #110 of Ian Cheese or the #111 of Mark Butterworth, I've not been able to identify which with the aid of Google Images, can anyone help ?

Thanking you in anticipation :-)

#30 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 14:19

The reg tells us it's Mark Butterworth's ex-Guy Spollon car

#31 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 23:34

The reg tells us it's Mark Butterworth's ex-Guy Spollon car

Thanks David that will be the one listed on the entry as #111 then :-)

Finally here are three pics I took haphazardly in the morning on my way back down from the top of the hill, such is my lack of knowledge about anything pre war I could not guess which classes any of these cars were running in if my life depended on it, any help identifying these cars would again be much appreciated :-

Posted Image

First coming out of the newly named Rolt Corner

Posted Image

Second coming out of Pardon Hairpin,

Posted Image

Third approaching Pardon Hairpin.

Thanks again in anticipation :-)

#32 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:24

3 Austin Seven specials.

#33 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 582 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:18

Err. Far be it for me to disagree with anyone named French about Austin Sevens, but the last one is a Riley. No 274 Owned by Hans Van Wortel.

The other two are Austin Sevens:

The top one is Gary Bishop in the Blau Maus Austin Seven (46.08secs)

The centre is Tom Hardman's B&Q Austin Seven Special, which wasn't running too well on Sunday with a very unrepresentative 50.52secs.

Edited by fuzzi, 13 August 2010 - 08:32.

#34 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:56

I'm surprised that no mention seems to have been made of James Baxter's inspired run with the Frazer Nash Alvis Norris Special with which he broke Anthony Mayman's 21-year old pre-war record.

#35 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:49

Thanks Roger & Fussi for your help, not often I feel so completely out of my depth :-)

Unfortunately I missed the action on Sunday Alan, but in recognition of James Baxter's achievement

Posted Image

here is a pic of him in his Frazer Nash Alvis Norris Special on his second Saturday run.

For complete 'Vintage Car' novices like myself could anyone tell me which part is Alvis Norris and which part is Fraser Nash, I presume one is the chassis and t'other the motor ?

#36 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:56

Probably a stupid question - why has the bend been renamed Rolt - is there any connection with Tony Rolt ?

#37 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:23

For complete 'Vintage Car' novices like myself could anyone tell me which part is Alvis Norris and which part is Fraser Nash, I presume one is the chassis and t'other the motor ?

James Baxter's Norris Special (Norris II) consists of a 3521 cc Alvis six-cylinder engine in a 'Shelsley' Frazer Nash chassis.

Edited by Tim Murray, 13 August 2010 - 09:23.

#38 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:43

Ralf according to the 'programme' the bend was renamed, upon the centenary of his birth in memory of TOM Rolt, who also has a steam locamotive named after him.

Tom was an engineer, writer and founding member of the VSCC who appears to have known the family resident at Prescott, and secured the annual VSCC meeting at Prescott in return for divulging the location of Prescott to the Bugatti Owners Club who subsequently became the new owners.

Tom is also remembered for championing The Inland Waterways, The Talyllyn Railway, always worth a visit if your in North Wales, The Newcomen Society, The Association for Industrial Archaeology and the Iron Bridge Gorge Museum.

I do not believe he was related to Tony Rolt of ERA and BRM fame though I am willing to be corrected on that fact :-)

#39 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,523 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:46

Probably a stupid question - why has the bend been renamed Rolt - is there any connection with Tony Rolt ?

No, LTC ("Tom") Rolt http://www.prescott-...erspective.aspx

Advertisement

#40 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:46

James Baxter's Norris Special (Norris II) consists of a 3521 cc Alvis six-cylinder engine in a 'Shelsley' Frazer Nash chassis.

Thanks Tim I should have guessed from the chassis name first engine name second principle :up:

#41 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,782 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:08

Tom Rolt also wrote a good general primer on the history of motoring called - with a certain lack of originality - "Motoring History". Small illustrated paperback published 1964 by Studio Vista in the UK and Dutton in the US which includes quite a bit of sporting interest: a handy little tome worth pointing out to anyone just beginning an interest in (especially) the early history of motoring and racing. A lot less wordy than (say) Setright's "Drive On!"

Now seemingly quite rare in the UK, but easier to find in America. One or two UK booksellers seem to charge silly prices for it - ex-library copies at that!

#42 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:27

Tom Rolt also wrote a good general primer on the history of motoring called - with a certain lack of originality - "Motoring History". Small illustrated paperback published 1964 by Studio Vista in the UK and Dutton in the US which includes quite a bit of sporting interest: a handy little tome worth pointing out to anyone just beginning an interest in (especially) the early history of motoring and racing. A lot less wordy than (say) Setright's "Drive On!"

Now seemingly quite rare in the UK, but easier to find in America. One or two UK booksellers seem to charge silly prices for it - ex-library copies at that!

Softback £6.75 inc P&P sounded like a bargain too good to miss :-)

thanks Vitesse2 :up:

Edited by arttidesco, 13 August 2010 - 10:28.

#43 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:38

Ralf according to the 'programme' the bend was renamed, upon the centenary of his birth in memory of TOM Rolt, who also has a steam locamotive named after him.

Tom was an engineer, writer and founding member of the VSCC who appears to have known the family resident at Prescott, and secured the annual VSCC meeting at Prescott in return for divulging the location of Prescott to the Bugatti Owners Club who subsequently became the new owners.

Tom is also remembered for championing The Inland Waterways, The Talyllyn Railway, always worth a visit if your in North Wales, The Newcomen Society, The Association for Industrial Archaeology and the Iron Bridge Gorge Museum.

I do not believe he was related to Tony Rolt of ERA and BRM fame though I am willing to be corrected on that fact :-)

Ah - thank you for that info - totally forgot to think about LTC Rolt.

#44 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:40

No, LTC ("Tom") Rolt http://www.prescott-...erspective.aspx

Thank you for that link - should have looked myself....

#45 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,800 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:25

Thank you for that link - should have looked myself....

Also a good, readable biograophy of I.K. Brunel and his works. Plus "Red For Danger", detailing some of the worst railway disasters and their causes.

#46 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:47

re. post 31 Isn't the car pictured at the bottom an MG Magnette not a Riley? On one of the photo gallery links from the VSCC website the car is captioned as such.

I believe the chassis of the Norris (the second Norris Special by the way) started life as one of the three single seater Shelsley Nashes built in 1935.

#47 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 13:20

Probably a stupid question - why has the bend been renamed Rolt?

A few snaps from the corner renaming ceremony - first Sir John Venables-Llewelyn gives an introduction on behalf of the BOC, then Roger Collings adds his appreciation of Tom Rolt's work on behalf of the VSCC and old car/old boat/old railway preservation movements and, finally, Tom's widow, Sonia (now aged 92), unveils a plaque for installation on the corner.
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 13:57

and was built by the Norris brothers. Their first single-seater Alvis 'Nash special (Norris 1 in today's terminology) has the four-cylinder engine from a FWD Alvis turned front to back to get the drive at the right end. It's written up in Bolster's "Specials" and Norris II gets a mention as it was quite new when the book was written.

#49 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 14:14

re. post 31 Isn't the car pictured at the bottom an MG Magnette not a Riley? On one of the photo gallery links from the VSCC website the car is captioned as such.

I believe the chassis of the Norris (the second Norris Special by the way) started life as one of the three single seater Shelsley Nashes built in 1935.

Posted Image

Dutchy could you give us the webpage address ?

Can any body else confirm if this is a MG or a Riley ? I have not found anything further on the web to confirm it either way :confused:

Thanking you in anticipation.

#50 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 17:53

Err. Far be it for me to disagree with anyone named French about Austin Sevens, but the last one is a Riley. No 274 Owned by Hans Van Wortel.

The other two are Austin Sevens:

The top one is Gary Bishop in the Blau Maus Austin Seven (46.08secs)

The centre is Tom Hardman's B&Q Austin Seven Special, which wasn't running too well on Sunday with a very unrepresentative 50.52secs.

I blush for shame - didn't look hard enough!