http://www.npr.org/b...icit-with-china

Advertisement

#252 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 6,798 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:24

The price used was $179 see source as Pascal Lamy
http://www.npr.org/b...icit-with-china

And $6.50 cost of assembly in China. My money says the $179 figure is pumped-up as well. eg Apple owned factory in China, Korea or elsewhere manufactures an I-Phone component for 20c but gets marked up to $1 before being added into the I-Phone total cost.

#253 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 15:25

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#254 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 17:08

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Yes sir.....that was slick! :up:

Juan

#255 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 19:34

Yes sir.....that was slick! :up:

Juan

I don't know how effective the ad will be in selling the 200C, but it does provide a dose of what we in the D are about. I also thought folks might like seeing all the Detroit landmarks. If anyone wants to hear more about them, I know every one. The Fist is the sculpture of Joe Louis at the foot of Woodward Ave. at Jefferson. The incredible Diego Rivera mural at the front of the spot is at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Etc.

Edited by Magoo, 07 February 2011 - 19:35.

#256 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,970 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:24

I don't know how effective the ad will be in selling the 200C, but it does provide a dose of what we in the D are about. I also thought folks might like seeing all the Detroit landmarks. If anyone wants to hear more about them, I know every one. The Fist is the sculpture of Joe Louis at the foot of Woodward Ave. at Jefferson. The incredible Diego Rivera mural at the front of the spot is at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Etc.

It would be good to see the good too as we have seen a lot of the bad thanks to you.

#257 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 13:33

What's that theatre they choir is in near the end?

#258 mariner

mariner

• 1,834 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 13:46

Talking of Detroit and luxury the realtors video below is a bit long but it shows that not every home in Detroit is a $5,000 crackhouse.

I have only been to Grosse Pointe Shores once ( pre the credit crunch) but it was a seriously swish place.

#259 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,970 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 23:50

Talking of Detroit and luxury the realtors video below is a bit long but it shows that not every home in Detroit is a $5,000 crackhouse.

I have only been to Grosse Pointe Shores once ( pre the credit crunch) but it was a seriously swish place.

Gee, I might even go to $50k for that one!!

Advertisement

#260 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 16:28

What's that theatre they choir is in near the end?

That's the Fox Theater on Woodward just north of Grand Circus Park, one block west of the new ball park, Comerica Field. It was the largest and grandest of the Fox chain of movie and performing theaters built back in the '20s, with lots of ornamentation. All the big Motown acts played there in the '60s. Mike Ilitch, the Little Caesar's Pizza guy who also owns the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings, bought the theater and has totally restored it. Pretty swell place, as you can see.

Right next door to the Fox is a similar but slightly less grand theater, the Fillmore. Among other things, the annual Motorsports Hall of Fame of America dinner is held there.

#261 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 66,809 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:48

I think McGuire might like to check out the dating on this...

It's a truly fascinating little You Tube clip, by the way:

http://www.youtube.c...p?v=NINOxRxze9k

Here's the words I got with it in an e.mail:

"You are there" for a cable car ride in San Francisco "

This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever that has come to light.

It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car as it`s travelling down the street.

You feel as if your really there, standing at the front looking down the street, amazing piece of historic film. The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing!

The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there.

How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses?

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot.

From New York trade papers announcing the film showing, to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!)..

It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing, but true!

No wonder there had to be laws created to regulate driving habits. This is insane. Good thing they couldn't go very fast.

This is a fascinating movie. A camera on the front of a street car 105 years ago. Look at the hats the ladies were wearing and the long dresses.

See the bullock team on the right near the start. Some of the cars had the steering wheels on the right side, I wonder when they standardized on the left?

Sure was still a lot of horse drawn vehicles in use. Mass transit looked like the way to get around. Looks like everybody had the right of way. Perhaps the oldest home movie that you will ever see!

#262 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 19,849 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:48

Fantastic watching!

#263 Grumbles

Grumbles

• 326 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:56

Wonderful stuff! I have to admit that I find the idea of a time and place where nothing moves much faster than a jog kind of appealing. And the way that the pedestrians, horse drawn vehicles, cars and streetcars continually dodged and weaved through the traffic was very Frogger-ish..

#264 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 16:38

Man, people in SF in 1908 were stylish. The way they dress, the way they walk, even the way they dodge. Very nice.

#265 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:01

'Dress-down Friday' has a lot to answer for.

#266 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:17

Very cool.....thanks man! :up:

John

#267 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 17:35

Great stuff, thanks. I never get tired of watching it. Not yet anyway. There's a lot going on there. Here is a 2005 tribute on the same route:

#268 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 18:04

Great stuff, thanks. I never get tired of watching it. Not yet anyway. There's a lot going on there. Here is a 2005 tribute on the same route:

Like the original, it is the quirky behaviour of individuals that makes these two films so much more that just dry records of architecture and vehicles. There are two cyclists in the 2005 film, one in a white shirt and flat cap, who tries hard to die on two occasions, then, if I'm not mistaken, doffs his cap to the camera, and Our Hero with the gloss-red cape and trailing cans. Magic. I first saw the earlier film some months ago, and it is still fascinating. As with all early film and still photograpy it is sobering to realise that none of those people are still alive...

#269 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 6,798 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 22:52

Wonderful - almost as good as the original. Is it only awareness of the original that makes this so fascinating?

#270 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:07

Wonderful - almost as good as the original. Is it only awareness of the original that makes this so fascinating?

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way.

#271 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,505 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:36

[quote name='Ray Bell' date='Mar 8 2011, 12:48' post='4879989']
I think McGuire might like to check out the dating on this...

Truly amazing footage. Apart from having both LHD and RHD cars they also seem slightly undecided on which side of the road to drive on.

#272 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 23:31

BTW if anybody wants to read an in-depth historical analysis of Detroit then " The origins of the urban crisis" by Thomas Sugure is one of the definitve works. It is a very hard core micro-history book and you might not agree with the authors conclusions but it an impressively researched book.

I was in the neighborhood today so I stopped and got you this photo. As you know, one of the stories Sugrue ran to ground with his stellar scholarship was the infamous 8 Mile Wall, aka the Birwood Wall. As incredible as it may seem, yes: there really was a wall, and it still exists.

Recap: In 1940 a real estate developer was trying to secure government funding for a residential subdivision in the Wyoming Heights area, at approximately the south side of 8 Mile Road at Wyoming Ave. Trouble was, the area was already developed -- by African-American families back in the '20s. Seeking to escape inner city squalor, they built up their neighborhood in what was then way out in the sticks, past the state fairgrounds. But by 1940 urban expansion had caught up to the area and it was ripe for development. However, because it was a " negro community," it was a redline district: no government or bank loans available, no insurance, no nothing. So -- and here is the incredible part -- the govt, banks, and developers all got together and conspired to build a concrete 6-ft wall a mile long separating the black and white neighborhoods in order to bypass the redlining. Blacks on the east side of the wall, whites on the west -- but on the west there were bank loans, federal subsidies, etc. Unbelievable but absolutely true. This really did happen in America in the 20th century, and not in the Old South but in the Industrial North.

Posted Image

#273 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,072 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:41

The evil that men do never ceases to amaze me, especially when it involves other people. I happened to catch a National Geographic "Best Of" program the other day on Auschwitz - Birkenau. The topic, and the guide through the site were the sonderkommando, something I'd not heard of previously. Jewish prisoners brought to work in the crematoriums and related "final solution" operations. To hear the details first-hand from this former sonderkommando was frankly shocking. Talking about very...disturbing things they were forced to do. I'm not certain I would have been able to chose survival via this work vs. instant execution for refusal. To now be an old man with the memories of what you participated in, the full horror of up to 9000 people per day, day in, day out. Boggles the mind.

Apologies for the tangent - McG's wall sent me there.

#274 bigleagueslider

bigleagueslider

• 1,235 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:48

Magoo,

The sad recent history of government-backed mortgages and minority applicants in the US is clearly illustrated by the devastating financial collapse of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. In 1999, President Clinton put into place legislation that created the sub-prime mortgage fiasco. The CEO of Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae at the time was an African-American by the name of Franklin Raines, who walked away from that job millions of dollars richer. Since then, American taxpayers have been left with picking up the multi-trillion dollar tab for this mortgage fiasco.

Regarding Detroit automakers like GM, as an American taxpayer, I'm still waiting for GM to pay back the $45 billion they were loaned by the Obama administration.

#275 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 6,798 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:05

I intend to see "THE HELP" when it is released - some home truths there. We need to be reminded regularly of what humans are capable of - so we can perhaps avoid going there ourselves.

#276 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:57

I intend to see "THE HELP" when it is released - some home truths there. We need to be reminded regularly of what humans are capable of - so we can perhaps avoid going there ourselves.

How touching. Better suck it up buddy for when the oil runs out..... carmageddon is coming.

#277 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:59

I'm still waiting for GM to pay back the $45 billion they were loaned by the Obama administration.

You got the Chevy Volt for heavens sake ...... :lol:

#278 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:01

We need to be reminded regularly of what humans are capable of - so we can perhaps avoid going there ourselves.

No chance. What history tells us is that history repeats itself. Nothing substantial - in fact probably nothing at all - has been done to change the banking system in the UK, and failing banks now know they can rely on Government to bail them out with money that is not the Government's, but ours. Admittedly nothing on the scale of the Holocaust has happened since WW2, but smaller atrocities continue, as we have seen in the Middle East. One of the down-sides, I suppose, of being humans.

#279 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:59

No chance. What history tells us is that history repeats itself. Nothing substantial - in fact probably nothing at all - has been done to change the banking system in the UK, and failing banks now know they can rely on Government to bail them out with money that is not the Government's, but ours. Admittedly nothing on the scale of the Holocaust has happened since WW2, but smaller atrocities continue, as we have seen in the Middle East. One of the down-sides, I suppose, of being humans.

Yellow Card Mr Matthews! Pol Pot and Idi Amin were not SMALL atrocities!! :well: ...Rwanda...etc etc

Advertisement

#280 24gerrard

24gerrard

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:26

Yellow Card Mr Matthews! Pol Pot and Idi Amin were not SMALL atrocities!! :well: ...Rwanda...etc etc

No atrocity is small, even if it is only one person receiving it.

The trouble with the holocaust, is that it is continualy used in the media to justify Israel's actions in the middle east.
My Father lost a number of his army friends in Palestine, murdered by Israeli terrorists.
Two were hung on barbed wire.

Where is the difference?

#281 Spoofski

Spoofski

• 262 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:46

No atrocity is small, even if it is only one person receiving it.

The trouble with the holocaust, is that it is continualy used in the media to justify Israel's actions in the middle east.
My Father lost a number of his army friends in Palestine, murdered by Israeli terrorists.
Two were hung on barbed wire.

Where is the difference?

That they were soldiers instead of women and babies?

#282 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:55

You are right, I meant smaller, but still large and appalling. I was thinking of the recent video from Tripoli... Without googling, I don't know if Pol Pot, or Mao Tse Tung managed to murder more than Hitler did, but perhaps they did. However, despite my usual innacuracies, my point still stands, I think. :)

#283 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:11

Admittedly nothing on the scale of the Holocaust has happened since WW2,

Yes it has but those groups aren't in power in Hollywood and the Media and don't receive their proportion of attention.

Edited by cheapracer, 29 August 2011 - 12:19.

#284 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,088 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:29

I was in the neighborhood today so I stopped and got you this photo. As you know, one of the stories Sugrue ran to ground with his stellar scholarship was the infamous 8 Mile Wall, aka the Birwood Wall. As incredible as it may seem, yes: there really was a wall, and it still exists.

Recap: In 1940 a real estate developer was trying to secure government funding for a residential subdivision in the Wyoming Heights area, at approximately the south side of 8 Mile Road at Wyoming Ave. Trouble was, the area was already developed -- by African-American families back in the '20s. Seeking to escape inner city squalor, they built up their neighborhood in what was then way out in the sticks, past the state fairgrounds. But by 1940 urban expansion had caught up to the area and it was ripe for development. However, because it was a " negro community," it was a redline district: no government or bank loans available, no insurance, no nothing. So -- and here is the incredible part -- the govt, banks, and developers all got together and conspired to build a concrete 6-ft wall a mile long separating the black and white neighborhoods in order to bypass the redlining. Blacks on the east side of the wall, whites on the west -- but on the west there were bank loans, federal subsidies, etc. Unbelievable but absolutely true. This really did happen in America in the 20th century, and not in the Old South but in the Industrial North.

Posted Image

Thanks McG. I used to work on tools that would help regulators/citizens find violations of the Community Reinvestment Act, which was I guess one of the measures enacted to make so-called "redlining" illegal. This is the first time I've heard that term outside of my group there.

#285 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 15:34

Yes it has but those groups aren't in power in Hollywood and the Media and don't receive their proportion of attention.

I've already admitted my mistake - you know me, post without checking... :blush:

#286 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 6,798 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 22:57

One thing that distinguishes the holoocaust is that it happened in the developed world - actually in the most technologically developed country on earth at the time. That hasn't happened since. The ability of governments to keep the masses in the dark is essential. The best they can do today is "spin" and even that is not well tolerated (when recognised).

I wonder if the potential for a holocaust scenario is reduced in a (developed) world with internet, personal electronic devices, social media etc? We have witnessed their impact during the recent overthrows ocurring in the middle east.

#287 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 6,798 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:14

How touching.

Do you have a genuine indifference on matters of intolerance or you are just trying to be funny, or perhaps appear macho? Whichever is the case, these are among the attitudes that permit the worst of human nature to resurface from time to time.

#288 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 13:29

Do you have a genuine indifference on matters of intolerance or you are just trying to be funny, or perhaps appear macho? Whichever is the case, these are among the attitudes that permit the worst of human nature to resurface from time to time.

And there it is right there, the very egotistical, judgemental and intolerant essence that you complain about as you wrote it.

You paradoxical hypocrite :lol:

#289 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 13:49

One thing that distinguishes the holoocaust is that it happened...

... to the people who mostly own Hollywood and the media so we hear about it constantly to this day 65 years later when everyone else has moved on especially those who suffered much worse although of course one death is too many but we are grown ups and keeping it analytical and relative, not emotional aren't we...?

About 3 years ago I sat next to a traveling "inbetween Uni semesters" Israel girl 19 years old in the expats bar in Chengdu here and within 5 minutes unprompted she was raving on about the Holocaust and the evil Germans like a lunatic, a 19 year old born 45 years after the event - I don't know what they teach kids over there but it just ain't right.

That hasn't happened since.

You can not be serious. You have Google in front of you I suggest you use it.

#290 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 6,798 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 23:02

... to the people who mostly own Hollywood and the media so we hear about it constantly to this day 65 years later when everyone else has moved on especially those who suffered much worse although of course one death is too many but we are grown ups and keeping it analytical and relative, not emotional aren't we...?

At least some of us are. There are many lessons in the holocaust and there is nothing but benefit in keeping them fresh. The media is your friend if you know how to use it. Don't want to see the latest holocaust movie? Don't go. Don't want to watch another holocaust item on TV? Change channel. Meanwhile there are young people who need to learn those lessons.

About 3 years ago I sat next to a traveling "inbetween Uni semesters" Israel girl 19 years old in the expats bar in Chengdu here and within 5 minutes unprompted she was raving on about the Holocaust and the evil Germans like a lunatic, a 19 year old born 45 years after the event - I don't know what they teach kids over there but it just ain't right.

The only one "raving" here is you. I agree entirely that racial/cultural/national rants are inappropriate but hesitate to condemn an individual or their education without knowing his/her history.

You can not be serious. You have Google in front of you I suggest you use it.

I suggest you re-read my post a little more carefully and invite you to produce a produce a single example to disprove my claim.

#291 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,309 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:19

Getting way OT but i can relate to that,i took a Armenian girl out many years ago and she took me home to meet her parents. I don't know how it started but the whole family started debating a massacre of Armenians by the Turks(Ottoman or equivalent ?) that took place in the 1500's(?),they talked about it like it happened the previous year. I was gobsmacked trying to work out how to get out of there,she later apologised,not for the subject matter but for her parents take on it, she had learned the "truth" at school.
Anyway i guess all societies teach their kids prejudices.

Edit...yeah,1915,after reading your link i guess people with Family involved would never forget(or forgive).

Edited by Ian G, 31 August 2011 - 23:00.

#292 Spoofski

Spoofski

• 262 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:45

Getting way OT but i can relate to that,i took a Armenian girl out many years ago and she took me home to meet her parents. I don't know how it started but the whole family started debating a massacre of Armenians by the Turks(Ottoman or equivalent ?) that took place in the 1500's(?),they talked about it like it happened the previous year. I was gobsmacked trying to work out how to get out of there,she later apologised,not for the subject matter but for her parents take on it, she had learned the "truth" at school.
Anyway i guess all societies teach their kids prejudices.

Surely this was the 1900s genocide they were referring to. http://en.wikipedia....menian_Genocide

#293 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:03

I suggest you re-read my post a little more carefully and invite you to produce a produce a single example to disprove my claim.

Always the way, you're historically ignorant but I have to educate you? Nah, Google has that ability.

Meanwhile there are young people who need to learn those lessons.

To tech them how to be unforgiving, angry, depressed and not move forward (and in this case totally against her religious foundation)? Pass thanks.

.. hesitate to condemn an individual or their education without knowing his/her history.

Yeah because she was the only person to lose (**family/friend/village**) in the War.

Edited by cheapracer, 31 August 2011 - 06:04.

#294 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 22:34

Forgive my resurrection of this moldy old thread but auto plants are a favorite subject of mine. Here is another photo of the Willys-Overland aka Jeep facility in Toledo, Ohio. I've always adored this photo, marked May 6, 1918, because it shows horse teams and steam shovels being used on the construction of a new building at an auto factory. Is that great or what.

Posted Image

#295 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:26

Indeed it is - old technology mid-wife to the new.

#296 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,452 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:33

Great photo! (as usual) There is a lot going on in the photo.

#297 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:46

Forgive my resurrection of this moldy old thread but auto plants are a favorite subject of mine. Here is another photo of the Willys-Overland aka Jeep facility in Toledo, Ohio. I've always adored this photo, marked May 6, 1918, because it shows horse teams and steam shovels being used on the construction of a new building at an auto factory. Is that great or what.

Wow, hows that for a New World meets Old World scene!

I have been meaning to get to the close by steel works for some time now to get snaps of the 2 working haulage steam trains they have, I imagine some of the last ones in the world.

#298 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:44

It is a great.....do you happen to know what that area looks like today?

Thanks!

John

#299 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,970 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:21

Wow, hows that for a New World meets Old World scene!

I have been meaning to get to the close by steel works for some time now to get snaps of the 2 working haulage steam trains they have, I imagine some of the last ones in the world.

I saw a working steam engine today, however it was a tourist line.
A little strange, a nice fast interstate loco with suburban rail cars on behind.
At Goolwa SA

Advertisement

#300 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,772 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:55

It is a great.....do you happen to know what that area looks like today?

Thanks!

John

Yes, it's gone. Vacant lot now, gravel. About all that's left are the original circa 1895? building that fronts on Central Ave. (featured earlier in this thread) and a few other buildings. They also left standing one of the smokestacks, in which the masonry spells out OVERLAND in large vertical script, which is kinda neat. The plant was demolished in 2006-07 as the new plant down the road came on line. In the photo below, the old plant is at lower left and the new one is at upper right.

Posted Image