Photo

The best Formula 1 Season in the last 20 years

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,472 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 21:26

Hey I'm watching every single Formula 1 race since 1988 (22 years), and have downloaded races from the 60s, 70s, 80s.

I find this season to be the best Formula 1 season I have ever seen. The competition is closer and better then it has ever been before. Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher, Button, Webber, Vettel,... an absolutely awesome field of drivers who in my opinion has more raw talent packed up in 1 grid then ever before.

Yeah you had the Sennas, Mansels, Prosts, Bergers, but was it really that hard back then to get to the top, sure it was hard, but not as hard as today, the competitiveness today all across the different motorsport series, from Kart to Formula cars, the talent density, the sheer numbers of drivers fighting to get into F1 is much bigger. So the current field of drivers in Formula 1, there talent level is just unbelievable high.

Then the racing, there are enough overtaking maneuvres, lots of close action, a close field, its possible to overtake, but its also possible to defend, it has the right mix. Thank God there is no KERS so every overtaking maneuvre is a legitimate one.

The new point system hides how close the battle for the championship really is, but if you look at it with the traditional point system, the fight is extremely close.

Its a great season for Formula 1, might be the best, but lets watch til the end. I wouldnt mind them not changing the rules at all for next season. We have found a winning formula (dont need KERS)

Advertisement

#2 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 21:37

It's been discussed on this board and I agree with you. This season is one of the best F1 seasons ever.

If in some years I see t-shirts saying "I watched 2010's F1 season" or merchandising of this season I wouldn't be too surpised, hell, I'd even buy it :rotfl:

(ps: if Alonso wins the WDC -from fifth to first- then it will be def. the best F1 season ever)

#3 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 22:30

agree, really not looking forward to kers

#4 KavB

KavB

• 1,592 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 22:33

I agree, KERS is really artificial. If all the cars have it then we'll only get an overtake when one driver forgets to press the button. If some cars use it and some don't then we'll get passes because one was a sitting duck.

We are watching a classic season, which we'll appreciate more in years to come when we have our rose tinted glasses on! :)

#5 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 22:46

It's a shame that KERS and moveable rear wings will destroy that next season :(

#6 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 22:48

I agree on the current field of drivers being extremely competitive and high-class. It has been like that for some years now but combined with a title fight like the one we have this year it's not hard to argue it's the best season in a long time. I haven't been watching as long as 20 years though.

#7 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 23:34

It matters who the protagonists are. Amend that to "best Formula 1 Season in the last 16 years" and I'll agree.

#8 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 00:29

Immediately after Bahrain everyone was certain this would be one of the worst seasons in F1 history...

#9 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 00:50

One of the best seasons in the last 20? I can't believe some people are even using the word "ever"!

I've lost hope for F1 if even the fans can't tell what good racing is anymore.

It may be close but that doesn't mean it has been a great season. There are many, many essential ingredients missing from this season.

Edited by rolf123, 18 September 2010 - 00:51.

#10 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:00

The driving and team strategies this season have been pretty poor actually this season. Wouldn't rate it very high as far as quality goes. All the mistakes have kept it close though so if that makes a season 'best ever' then this may be it.

The one thing that this season may be most remembered for is the pounding that Rosberg has given to the once mighty Schumacher. Other that that no driver really stands out and there was one really good race, Montreal.

A 6/10 I would say so far.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 18 September 2010 - 14:20.

#11 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,023 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:18

One of the best seasons in the last 20? I can't believe some people are even using the word "ever"!

It may be close but that doesn't mean it has been a great season. There are many, many essential ingredients missing from this season.

It's a interesting year, but I have to agree with you, this year is missing thiings like:

Basic untouched formula one rules
the major issue

In the last 20 years, which means 1990 -1994, the cars were just more balanced in terms of aero but not so bad we can drive behind cars and press on, dirty air in the last say 5 years has just become more acceptable which is silly as f1 is just hurting itself here, this can be improved.

I think were missing proper gladitorial title fights, I can't help but think of Briatore's comments a while ago, saying drivers are like taxi drivers, stop and go, when overtaking became difficult, you had pitstop and strategy, now you just have pitstop4 tyres, yet overtaking is still difficult and your limited with strategies, it's harder for the driver to make a difference other then qualifying on certain tracks.

Lack of testing and difficulity of in season development, means alot of driver's fates are decided 2 early in the season with how the car is born, I think the testing ban is silly, maybe they can cut it, but to stop it completely is wrong I think, new drivers need testing miles, testing new parts on weekends, maybe they could increase the sessions if they want to keep more races, and the fans can see more of their drivers/teams.

Alonso and Hamilton are challenging for the title ,but they've hardly seen or raced each other for a win this year, its' weird, it's not like Schumacher and Hakkinen who were tenths and thousandths off each other at Japan 2000 the whole weekend, qualifying to the race shows how driver/team go away, work and come to a track to fight for a title that's not been effected by things like not being able to test, to have 2 teams close together for 2 drivers to have some close exchanges makes f1 stand still, the end of season title showdowns in 94/97/98/99/2000/2003/20006.

Jerez 97, 3 drivers get the same time for quali before the race, that was cool.

1997 the last slick tyre season, with overtaking, pitstop strategies, is the type of season we should be having.

Lewis Hamilton vs Schumacher-if he's in a top car can make or would of made this year a classic
Hamilton and Alonso as teamates in 2007 beats any duels they had in 2010-which is pretty much none

The seaosn isn't over, it's been a interesting season, but the closeness of the championship isn't much about driver skill rather then all other factors of motor racing that keeps the title championship open, but because it's open, doesn't mean it's open and exciting the same way every weekend, alot of cars seem track specific, and when we want redbull vs ferrari, or mclaren vs ferrari, the drivers hardly race each other, as the competitive advantage keeps shifting, maybe that's interesting, but not when the season is closing up, if one driver is off the pace and crowds r expecting a close fight, that's dissappointing, and with budget cuts and cost saving/lack of testing, really preparing for showdowns and title fights may not have the same level of contest.

To put it bluntly
screw cost saving
give me qualifying engines
1 race engines, 1 qualifying engine
let it rip, don't hold back, push every lap, risk reliability, something we used to have, caution and f1 don't mean exciting.

We got great drivers
The show though is preventing it from living up to the past.

And any f1 season with Ayrton Senna in it is better then 2010, and he died back in 1994. I don't think we've see any driving that tops Senna and Schumacher's best of the past 20 years, qualifying was poorer without Ayrton, but worser in 2003 when they started tinkering with the show, so for sure this season can't be the best, alot of good drivers, but perhaps wasted with these rules and cars. I don't think we've seen 1 real stand out great drive, alot of very good drives, but nothing monumental to talk about for the next 20 years like were still talking about some of Senna and Schumacher's stuff of the past 20 years, maybe the rules are to blame and this how cost cutting nature, and were moving to even less engines in the future.

No more Sunday warm up from 2003 onwards
Can't touch the cars after qualifying until the race? Why, because maybe a random guessed set up will produce unpredictable results, which was the reason it was introduced in 2003 along with other rubbish.

Alot more can be done.

I could rewatch a classic 1993 race or a race in 1997/98/ and find alot of things

Edited by SeanValen, 18 September 2010 - 01:32.

#12 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:42

Then the racing, there are enough overtaking maneuvres, lots of close action, a close field, its possible to overtake, but its also possible to defend, it has the right mix. Thank God there is no KERS so every overtaking maneuvre is a legitimate one.

agree, really not looking forward to kers

I agree, KERS is really artificial. If all the cars have it then we'll only get an overtake when one driver forgets to press the button. If some cars use it and some don't then we'll get passes because one was a sitting duck.

I am really disappointed in peoples reactions to KERS. So what if it helped in some passing, KERS had a negative performance effect in other area's.

I don't think the modern F1 fan can handle a more open rulebook in F1. People saying KERS overtakes was fake or cheating. People are like "that car has an unfair advantage". What do you think F1 was like for years with Turbo, Non-Turbo, V-12, V-10, V-8 all on the same track. Was it fake or cheating when the Turbo's got passed off the starting line? Was it fake or cheating when the Turbo's passed people on the straight?

That is what a F1 with variety was like, V-8's quicker on tight ciruits, Turbo's faster on high speed tracks. Multiple tire companies having advantages at one circuit but not another. etc., etc., etc.

Everyone says they like variety but what they really want is variety in which every car is the exact same speed.

Rant over :smoking:

Edited by Watkins74, 18 September 2010 - 01:45.

#13 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:21

It's a interesting year, but I have to agree with you, this year is missing thiings like:

Basic untouched formula one rules
the major issue

In the last 20 years, which means 1990 -1994, the cars were just more balanced in terms of aero but not so bad we can drive behind cars and press on, dirty air in the last say 5 years has just become more acceptable which is silly as f1 is just hurting itself here, this can be improved.

I think were missing proper gladitorial title fights, I can't help but think of Briatore's comments a while ago, saying drivers are like taxi drivers, stop and go, when overtaking became difficult, you had pitstop and strategy, now you just have pitstop4 tyres, yet overtaking is still difficult and your limited with strategies, it's harder for the driver to make a difference other then qualifying on certain tracks.

Lack of testing and difficulity of in season development, means alot of driver's fates are decided 2 early in the season with how the car is born, I think the testing ban is silly, maybe they can cut it, but to stop it completely is wrong I think, new drivers need testing miles, testing new parts on weekends, maybe they could increase the sessions if they want to keep more races, and the fans can see more of their drivers/teams.

Alonso and Hamilton are challenging for the title ,but they've hardly seen or raced each other for a win this year, its' weird, it's not like Schumacher and Hakkinen who were tenths and thousandths off each other at Japan 2000 the whole weekend, qualifying to the race shows how driver/team go away, work and come to a track to fight for a title that's not been effected by things like not being able to test, to have 2 teams close together for 2 drivers to have some close exchanges makes f1 stand still, the end of season title showdowns in 94/97/98/99/2000/2003/20006.

Jerez 97, 3 drivers get the same time for quali before the race, that was cool.

1997 the last slick tyre season, with overtaking, pitstop strategies, is the type of season we should be having.

Lewis Hamilton vs Schumacher-if he's in a top car can make or would of made this year a classic
Hamilton and Alonso as teamates in 2007 beats any duels they had in 2010-which is pretty much none

The seaosn isn't over, it's been a interesting season, but the closeness of the championship isn't much about driver skill rather then all other factors of motor racing that keeps the title championship open, but because it's open, doesn't mean it's open and exciting the same way every weekend, alot of cars seem track specific, and when we want redbull vs ferrari, or mclaren vs ferrari, the drivers hardly race each other, as the competitive advantage keeps shifting, maybe that's interesting, but not when the season is closing up, if one driver is off the pace and crowds r expecting a close fight, that's dissappointing, and with budget cuts and cost saving/lack of testing, really preparing for showdowns and title fights may not have the same level of contest.

To put it bluntly
screw cost saving
give me qualifying engines
1 race engines, 1 qualifying engine
let it rip, don't hold back, push every lap, risk reliability, something we used to have, caution and f1 don't mean exciting.

We got great drivers
The show though is preventing it from living up to the past.

And any f1 season with Ayrton Senna in it is better then 2010, and he died back in 1994. I don't think we've see any driving that tops Senna and Schumacher's best of the past 20 years, qualifying was poorer without Ayrton, but worser in 2003 when they started tinkering with the show, so for sure this season can't be the best, alot of good drivers, but perhaps wasted with these rules and cars. I don't think we've seen 1 real stand out great drive, alot of very good drives, but nothing monumental to talk about for the next 20 years like were still talking about some of Senna and Schumacher's stuff of the past 20 years, maybe the rules are to blame and this how cost cutting nature, and were moving to even less engines in the future.

Can't touch the cars after qualifying until the race? Why, because maybe a random guessed set up will produce unpredictable results, which was the reason it was introduced in 2003 along with other rubbish.

Alot more can be done.

I could rewatch a classic 1993 race or a race in 1997/98/ and find alot of things

Great post. I couldn't agree more. :up:

#14 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:19

So the current field of drivers in Formula 1, there talent level is just unbelievable high.

How can you say that when there's Heidfield, Massa, Kovi, Trulli etc., in the field? I am surprised so many teams like tourers as their drivers...

Immediately after Bahrain everyone was certain this would be one of the worst seasons in F1 history...

Why? It was a Ferrari 1 2 FFS. The best result F1 can ever have! :clap:

Ah if only Mark was in one...

#15 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:07

How can you say that when there's Heidfield, Massa, Kovi, Trulli etc., in the field? I am surprised so many teams like tourers as their drivers...

No idea what you're on about. I'd say only Yamamoto falls out of the boat.

The level of all the other drivers is just very very high, although I think it will keep increasing.

#16 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:56

People have the feeling the drivers are the most talented ever but that's just because there are 3 teams fighting for the win, the close gaps between them are being created by the rules with spec tyres, spec ECU, almost spec engines ... that enables more drivers to fight for the win so people suddenly think they got talented.

#17 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:03

People have the feeling the drivers are the most talented ever but that's just because there are 3 teams fighting for the win, the close gaps between them are being created by the rules with spec tyres, spec ECU, almost spec engines ... that enables more drivers to fight for the win so people suddenly think they got talented.

So, in your opinion they are not talented. There are all rubbish, driving spec cars, right ??

I don't know whether this is the best season in the last 20 years. What I know is that this is the best season I've ever seen.

Edited by TURU, 18 September 2010 - 09:04.

#18 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:05

There were a couple of good seasons lately, 2005, 2006, 2007 and now 2010 - however, to call 2010 the best in 20 years is a little bit much. Definitely better than 1991, 1992, 1993,1994, 1996, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2008 and 2009. But each of the other seasons had great aspects, even 2003 was not that bad competition-wise.

Also, I would wait till the end of the season to make that judgement, how the last five races will pan out will also tell us a lot about how great the season really will be. So far the tightness of the field comes in part by numerous mistakes by Alonso and Vettel as well by a mistake and bad luck of Hamilton and twice very bad luck for Button (Monaco and Spa) - only Mark Webber´s season is straight and solid, if we forget the Australian GP.
To enumerate Schumacher here is a joke, besides his name there is nothing (positive) that he really was able to add to the competition.

So you´ll have my vote by the end of the season, right now I would place 2010 with 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

#19 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 2,206 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:11

So, in your opinion they are not talented. There are all rubbish, driving spec cars, right ??

I don't know whether this is the best season in the last 20 years. What I know is that this is the best season I've ever seen.

No they are all very talented, but not more, not less than drivers who were driving for decent teams 10 years ago but whose car were 1s off pace and had absolutely no chance to be on front. Its just todays cars and rules that make the competition closer. Appart from that, cars are ugly and stupid, tracks are terrible and racing boring so thats certainly not the best season I have ever seen.

Advertisement

#20 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:12

...And any f1 season with Ayrton Senna in it is better then 2010, and he died back in 1994.....

....I could rewatch a classic 1993 race or a race in 1997/98/ and find alot of things....

A great post by you, SeanValen, it shows that you know the history of the sport and don´t buy the hype Bernie and the media are presenting us with since the start of the 2010 season.
Indeed, the Senna seasons were special simply because of Ayrton driving, also because we saw Michael and Ayrton battling it out with each other nearly every other GP very closely. Michael in his heyday, Ayrton still not declining, Mansell and Prost, only Piquet in the decline - if I look at the 2010 field I don´t see that overall quality. Rather, many, untypical mistakes and a fading once world class driver (that at least could be equalled to Piquet).

No way Hamilton equals Senna, Alonso (2010 spec) equals Schumacher in his heyday, Button equals Prost and Vettel equals Mansell. Only Webber is better than Berger, for one.

It´s true that 1993, 1997 and 1998 alone have provided many classic races, in 2010 we have Montreal so far.

#21 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:26

No idea what you're on about. I'd say only Yamamoto falls out of the boat.

The level of all the other drivers is just very very high, although I think it will keep increasing.

lol don't worry I wasn't having a go at you or anything. I just felt that coz they are in F1 doesn't mean they are the best in the world. I am sure I could have been a great F1 driver for instance. Just circumstances in life prevented it.

Hey my initial reply was to Kucki not to you :lol: I wasn't having a go at him as well...

Edited by Henrytheeigth, 18 September 2010 - 09:30.

#22 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:41

The competition is great this year but i can't call it one of the best seasons. The cars and tracks are rather lame compared to the golden age of F1.
I remember a time when just watching and listening to the cars was more exciting then anything that happens today. And that's not nostalgia playing mind tricks with me. The videos are still there on youtube etc.

Edited by BenettonB192, 18 September 2010 - 09:44.

#23 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:44

lol don't worry I wasn't having a go at you or anything. I just felt that coz they are in F1 doesn't mean they are the best in the world. I am sure I could have been a great F1 driver for instance. Just circumstances in life prevented it.

Hey my initial reply was to Kucki not to you :lol: I wasn't having a go at him as well...

Yeah no worries, I just think the names you mentioned are within the best of the world to be honest. F1 should just get rid of pay drivers though, but it's way less than it used to be.

#24 man

man

• 1,526 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:01

The lack of refuelling is great. F1 shouldn't just be about speed but the ability to manage a car. Personally speaking I believe F1 has been pretty woeful since 1992. I find it ridiculous how certain folks harp on about M Schumacher vs Hakkinen being glory days of the sport... They were a complete bore with two of the dullest personalities the sport has known. The two teams with the most money were at the front and races were won from the pits. 2010 is a hell of a lot better than anything we have had since 1991. Sennas heroics in 1992 an 1993 made for some entertainment but other than that those seasons were a bad. In Hamilton we have the most talented driver to enter the sport since 84, we also have a fantastic depth of quality drivers that we haven't seen since the 1980s. 2010 is a quality season. I would prefer the standard qualifying format we had before they started messing around with things. And the no testing and budget cap is super... It allows for driver talent to shine.

#25 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:02

This another crap season where some have gotten a strangle hold by circumnavigating rules and others can't catch up because they can't test or are afraid because the rules may be enforced the very next race - what a scam and from a purity point of view I see this year as one of the worst in any year I have watched F1.

Incredible that teams have to guess what parts to put on in a gamble that will only reveal itself on the day before race weekend.

The good years of MS Vs Mika were the standouts to me in the last 20, I appreciate what it takes to achieve technical and driver domination as well so 1994 and 2002 were good to watch.

Honourable to Hamilton making so much influence in F1 over the last 20 even though he's only a newbie - outstanding!

#26 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:10

This another crap season where some have gotten a strangle hold by circumnavigating rules and others can't catch up because they can't test or are afraid because the rules may be enforced the very next race - what a scam and from a purity point of view I see this year as one of the worst in any year I have watched F1.

Incredible that teams have to guess what parts to put on in a gamble that will only reveal itself on the day before race weekend.

The good years of MS Vs Mika were the standouts to me in the last 20, I appreciate what it takes to achieve technical and driver domination as well so 1994 and 2002 were good to watch.

Honourable to Hamilton making so much influence in F1 over the last 20 even though he's only a newbie - outstanding!

:rotfl:

My rough translation of this:

"My favourite team (Mercedes) with my favourite driver (Michael) are struggling big time. Their sheer incompetence, inability to develop the car is striking, but nevermind - lets put a blame on the others. That's why I see this year as one of the worst in any year I have watched F1."

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Edited by TURU, 18 September 2010 - 10:11.

#27 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:22

This season has been great, but the best in last 20 years is maybe going a bit to far.
Yes we have many teams and drivers that are able to win, but where are the head to heads?
i cant remember the last time we had 2 drivers first and secondin a race really pushing each other
for the win, positions changing, fighting tooth and nail!

#28 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:11

Totally agree that this needs to return. I also think that an engine should last for one race weekend at the most, but with the green drive in 2013 etc it looks like a very long time before we return to that

Edited by Gene and Tonic, 18 September 2010 - 11:12.

#29 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:27

In term of the championship standings then. yes it looks like being a classic season.

As others have mentioned however, the racing itself is pretty average. Personally I would rather see the two-horse race in 2000 knowing that the contenders are going to be going at it hammer and tongs from flag to flag and being at the absolute top of their game.

I would agree that the standard of driving now is as high as it has ever been but I am not a fan of 60 lap preservation runs. I understand that it is a valid skill to be able to nurse tyres but I think F1 is better with refueling and with drivers driving close to the limit on every lap.

#30 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:52

It's been a great season so far because it's so close but have there been many races that will stick in the memory?
2005 for example had Suzuka as a classic, 2006 a titanic struggle between Alonso and Schumacher, 2007 will be remembered for the arrival of Hamilton, his feud with Alonso and the crazy last two races; 2008 has the great race at Spa and the unprecedented conclusion at Brazil; 2009 was a fairly dull season...2010 has been good and had a few good races, but I think the last 5 races will determine whether it really goes down as a classic season or not...If Red bull dominate the last 5 races (which I hope they won't) it could yet turn out to be an anti-climax..

#31 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 14:19

The lack of refuelling is great. F1 shouldn't just be about speed but the ability to manage a car. Personally speaking I believe F1 has been pretty woeful since 1992. I find it ridiculous how certain folks harp on about M Schumacher vs Hakkinen being glory days of the sport... They were a complete bore with two of the dullest personalities the sport has known. The two teams with the most money were at the front and races were won from the pits. 2010 is a hell of a lot better than anything we have had since 1991. Sennas heroics in 1992 an 1993 made for some entertainment but other than that those seasons were a bad. In Hamilton we have the most talented driver to enter the sport since 84, we also have a fantastic depth of quality drivers that we haven't seen since the 1980s. 2010 is a quality season. I would prefer the standard qualifying format we had before they started messing around with things. And the no testing and budget cap is super... It allows for driver talent to shine.

That´s probably the one thing that I really like about the 2010 season: the no-refuelling rule. It brings F1 back to its original spirit, which is a fast middle distance race, not long distance, but surely not two or three sprint races within one GP, as it has been since 1994. It took the whole character out of GP racing and brought people like Michael Schumacher on top. I really wonder how successful he would have been in his career had there never been these refuelling stops. In my book they were perfectly suited to his strengths.

Still I don´t want to discount 1992, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007. But fair enough man, I completely see your point.

#32 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 14:21

Its just todays cars and rules that make the competition closer. Appart from that, cars are ugly and stupid, tracks are terrible and racing boring so thats certainly not the best season I have ever seen.

This. :up:

Edited by SonnyViceR, 18 September 2010 - 14:22.

#33 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 14:22

QUOTE (cheapracer @ Sep 18 2010, 10:02)

My rough translation of this:

"My favourite team (Mercedes) with my favourite driver (Michael) are struggling big time. Their sheer incompetence, inability to develop the car is striking, but nevermind - lets put a blame on the others. That's why I see this year as one of the worst in any year I have watched F1."

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Excellent analysis, TURU!

You caught him on the spot! :rotfl:

#34 man

man

• 1,526 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 14:25

Schumacher vs. Hakkinen were great days. They were great because people who watched F1 back then said they were great. Even today, people who weren't active F1 followers remember Schumacher vs. Hakkinen days.

You have your opinion, that's fine. However, it's flawed. People were excited with Mika and Schumi in F1 world, with McLaren and Ferrari.

Two teams are enough for great championship drama. That has been proved multiple times.

Indeed it's just an opinion. I recall racing from the 70s and 80s and I also recall the general feeling of the time you refer to as being generally pretty dull with people looking back to the 80s. Races were won by the likes of Ross Brawn in the pits, overtaking was pretty much non-existent and the quality of the drivers were IMO not only inferior to the 80s but also today, they were painfully boring c@nts to boot. ;-) To top it off, the cars were as ugly as hell which also coincided with new pointless tracks. F1 is definitely going the right way in my view. Allow the drivers to shine, not the wallet of the team owner.

#35 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 14:47

No refuel made the racing better but the problem is Brigdestone's lasting the whole race even the soft ones.
If Pirelli make options they can max get 10-15 laps out of but with pr 1,23 lap instead of +60 lapswith 1,25 pr lap it will open up for more strategyoptions.
They should also get rid of the silly rule that the 10 best start on the qualtyre.
If so i strongly belive 2011 will be the best F1-season ever.
The best race is always the next one and the best season is always the next season i belive.

#36 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 15:36

The best race is always the next one and the best season is always the next season i belive.

Only if Mark or a Ferrari driver wins the next race, and only if Ferrari wins the next season's CC title, i belive...

Anyway yea if Mark can clinch this year's WDC title, then for me it will be the best one since 1980, as far as being an Aussie is concerned.

#37 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 18:24

There were a couple of good seasons lately, 2005, 2006, 2007 and now 2010 - however, to call 2010 the best in 20 years is a little bit much. Definitely better than 1991, 1992, 1993,1994, 1996, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2008 and 2009. But each of the other seasons had great aspects, even 2003 was not that bad competition-wise.

Also, I would wait till the end of the season to make that judgement, how the last five races will pan out will also tell us a lot about how great the season really will be. So far the tightness of the field comes in part by numerous mistakes by Alonso and Vettel as well by a mistake and bad luck of Hamilton and twice very bad luck for Button (Monaco and Spa) - only Mark Webber´s season is straight and solid, if we forget the Australian GP.
To enumerate Schumacher here is a joke, besides his name there is nothing (positive) that he really was able to add to the competition.

So you´ll have my vote by the end of the season, right now I would place 2010 with 1997, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2007.

And that says it all doesn't it. The driving is so average this season that a journeyman driver like Mark Webber is in the lead of the wdc. Its too bad that Kubica doesn't have a half decent car under him as he is driving really well (he probably would have clinched the title by now if he was in a Redbull or a Ferrari).

But there are still five races left for someone to shine. Lets hope.

#38 Captain Cranckcase

Captain Cranckcase

• 740 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 00:58

1997, 2003, 2007 & 2008 we're all good seasons, but yeah this has been a cracking year. Almost every race has been entertaining and 5 drivers still in it. Hard to predict a winner for each round. Great season.

#39 Captain Cranckcase

Captain Cranckcase

• 740 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:02

And that says it all doesn't it. The driving is so average this season that a journeyman driver like Mark Webber is in the lead of the wdc. Its too bad that Kubica doesn't have a half decent car under him as he is driving really well (he probably would have clinched the title by now if he was in a Redbull or a Ferrari).

But there are still five races left for someone to shine. Lets hope.

Guy got a good car late in his career see Nigel Mansell/Jenson Button. He's hardly Jos Verstappen or Andrea De Cesaris is he? Or even Ricardo Patrese, DC or Gerhard Berger (plenty of good cars, never got close). No WDC is undeserved. You beat who's in front of you. He's doing that with a very competitve grid (more so than the Schumacher yrs) IMO. Mark Webber is seriously underated IMO.

PS Kubica hasn't proved anything yet. Matching Heidfeld isn't a sign of greatness. I'm pretty sure Webber did that and more.

Edited by Captain Cranckcase, 19 September 2010 - 01:03.

Advertisement

#40 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:12

Yeah it's getting tiresome seeing all the nonsense about Kubica. People hardly mention just how well Renault themselves have done regarding this car and its upgrades.

We'll see what happens if Kimi joins him next year. No doubt he's a great driver, but he's still ultimately unproven. Just like Webber was until 2009 and Button too. You can only prove a drivers ultimate worth once they're in a team/car capable of winning the WDC. See Barrichello as a man who's been in such situations yet never shown up, Ferrari and then Brawn last year

#41 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:34

Guy got a good car late in his career see Nigel Mansell/Jenson Button. He's hardly Jos Verstappen or Andrea De Cesaris is he? Or even Ricardo Patrese, DC or Gerhard Berger (plenty of good cars, never got close). No WDC is undeserved. You beat who's in front of you. He's doing that with a very competitve grid (more so than the Schumacher yrs) IMO. Mark Webber is seriously underated IMO.

PS Kubica hasn't proved anything yet. Matching Heidfeld isn't a sign of greatness. I'm pretty sure Webber did that and more.

I mentioned Kubica in terms of his consistant driving this year in comparison to to rest of the 'top rated' drivers who are not looking very top rated this season with all their errors.

ps. And Webber won't be able to win the wdc unless he gets his start and first lap sorted out. He is so timid.

#42 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,543 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:54

Best season? 1997, 1998 and 2000 were better than 2010.

Problem is Red Bull doesn't have a superb driver, for example, put Fernando Alonso in there, he would have won the WDC by now...

Edited by George Costanza, 19 September 2010 - 01:54.

#43 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:23

#44 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:59

Mark Webber is seriously underated IMO.

He was underated deserveably by his own actions but since he has had his first win he seems to have gotten that extra drive as did Button to go that 1000th bit more extra that a champion does to deserve where they both are this year.

Webber's drive at Silverstone 2010 is one of the underated drives in recent times especially for a "number 2 driver" ;)

That first win changes drivers thats for sure.

#45 man

man

• 1,526 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:01

While I stand by my statement that the quality of the grid is the best it jas been since 1993, I take exception to your categorising of Gerhard Berger. While the Austria did have a title winning car in 1990 ( which didn't even fit him) and 1991, his teammate was a certain Ayrton Senna - slightly different to the proposition Webber is facing in the form of Vettel. In 1991 though McLaren won both championships the Williams was easy the best package and Berger had quite a few dnfs due to reliability issues. Berger at his peak is better than Webber - and by some margin in my book.

#46 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:07

That first win changes drivers thats for sure.

I sure changed after my first race win in video gaming decades ago! :lol:

#47 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,184 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:48

I would agree that the 2010 season has been competitive and interesting. However, I don't feel that it quite has the "epic" quality of the Senna/Mansell/Prost battles of the early 1990s, or the Schumacher/Mika, Ferrari/McLaren tussles of 1998-2001.

Edited by COUGAR508, 19 September 2010 - 08:48.

#48 taran

taran

• 4,465 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:01

Hey I'm watching every single Formula 1 race since 1988 (22 years), and have downloaded races from the 60s, 70s, 80s.

I find this season to be the best Formula 1 season I have ever seen. The competition is closer and better then it has ever been before. Hamilton, Alonso, Schumacher, Button, Webber, Vettel,... an absolutely awesome field of drivers who in my opinion has more raw talent packed up in 1 grid then ever before.

Yeah you had the Sennas, Mansels, Prosts, Bergers, but was it really that hard back then to get to the top, sure it was hard, but not as hard as today, the competitiveness today all across the different motorsport series, from Kart to Formula cars, the talent density, the sheer numbers of drivers fighting to get into F1 is much bigger. So the current field of drivers in Formula 1, there talent level is just unbelievable high.

The new point system hides how close the battle for the championship really is, but if you look at it with the traditional point system, the fight is extremely close.

Its a great season for Formula 1, might be the best, but lets watch til the end. I wouldnt mind them not changing the rules at all for next season. We have found a winning formula (dont need KERS)

You are off course entitled to your opinion but do you really feel its better than 1989 or 1990? Or even 1997 when a record number of drivers scored podiums?
And you say you started watching in 1988 and only saw a few earlier races. Which means you probably missed out on 1981, 1982, 1983 or 1986. Each had as many title candidates and many more winners, far better racing and a heck of a better quality field with people like Prost, Lauda, Piquet, Rosberg, Mansell, Alboreto, Reutemann, Jones, Laffite, Arnoux, Senna, De Angelis, Pironi, Villeneuve etc...

2010 is okay but hardly the best ever. Or even since 1988. But that's just my view.

#49 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:12

1990, 1991, 1994, 1998, 2008... for me

I only started watching in 97, so previous years are based on the video reviews I've seen.

Edited by BullHead, 19 September 2010 - 09:14.

#50 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 14:04

The best F1 season in 22 years? I beg to differ.

I find the 2007 season much better in terms of drama, controversies, excitement, etc. The WDC was decided months later after the last race in Interlagos after the ICA found no merits in the fuel-temperature saga. Raikkonen triumphed over a rookie and a 2-time F1 champion by a single point. McLaren was docked USD100mil in the Spygate scandal. Renault was not found guilty of the same offense, and received a slap on the wrist in Spygate II.

IMHO, 2007 was the best season in the last 20 years or so.