Photo

Logitech GT Steering Wheel

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 17:55

I've decided to buy a wheel to play F1 2010 with, I was thinking of getting the "Logitech GT Steering Wheel", its a bit on the pricey side, but what the heck.....

What do people think of this wheel? Has anyone played F1 2010 with it yet? I'll be interested in the feedback!

Cheers, M

Advertisement

#2 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 18:49

Do you mean the Driving Force GT or one of the others?

#3 Murdoch

Murdoch

• 482 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 20:12

Do you mean the Driving Force GT or one of the others?

Yup thats the one!

Sorry I should of checked before starting the thread....

#4 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 22:01

I love mine, been playing F1 2010 on it today and it feels good, feed back feels good to me. It's my first wheel since I had a Microsoft Sidewinder in the early 2000s so someone else might be able to give a better comparison, but for the price I don't know what else you could get to come near it.

#5 baddog

baddog

• 29,694 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 23:21

Im thinking of coercing my partner into buying me one of these. probly have to wait for a while though meh

#6 D-man

D-man

• 265 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 23:43

I've got one too (bought it for F1 2010 on PS3). It is a good wheel if you don't want to stretch for the G27. I think it will be great for GT5.
Feedback is only OK, but I think thats more due to the game rather than the wheel. It seems to just convey bumps on the track and curbs rather than real feedback (grip etc).

Has anyone else thought the same?

#7 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 23:53

I have owned one for about year++ and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Great value for the money. Works fantastic on the PC version of F1 2010. :)

Edited by Menace, 23 September 2010 - 23:53.

#8 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:54

The only reason i went for the G25 instead was that the gear stick cannot be adapted bu it surely is a good buy and i will improve your games a lot.

This said it's the first time that i don't find the L2-R2 buttons to be an issue on a racing game, when using a pad. It's probably because a formula one is easier to drive than a Civic Type-R.

#9 Onyemaechi

Onyemaechi

• 312 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 19:39

Hi guys!
Good to find this thread.
Planning to buy a Driving Force GT (and F1 2010 codemaster for Christmas) also.

Is the steering any good? Especially the pedals? The reason I`m asking... :rolleyes: I had a G25 a few months ago. The pedals were poorly designed and after 5 months completely broken.

Cheers

#10 domhnall

domhnall

• 1,668 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 20:26

I've had the Driving force gt for about a year now. It's the only wheel I;ve ever owned so it's difficult for me to say how good or bad it compares to other wheels. I will say that i'm very pleased with it. It was good value and hasn't missed a beat so far. The force feedback is good, especially on iracing where I where i didn't have to play around with any settings, the default settings were just perfect.

The one thing i don;t like about it are the gear change paddles. They're not really paddles but just buttons on the back of the wheel. They're a bit small and I find after a long race my hand and fingers tend to be a bit stiff from using them.

#11 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 19:28

G27 review>>> http://www.simhq.com...ology_153b.html

#12 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 92 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:01

Im thinking of getting this wheel soon, either with F1 2010 or with GT5. What puts me off a g25/27, besides the price, is the pedals and clumsy H shifter.

Compared to other wheels/pedals, the pedals with the G25/27 feel too stiff and grow tiring quite quickly, plus the clutch pedal is where my foot normal rests when im not braking. Also, the H shifter lacked weight and feel when shifting between gears, definitely room for improvement there.

#13 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:07

Hi guys,

Have I got this right the G27 is the replacement for the G25, so if I want to buy new its a choice between the £100 ish GT (sequential and cables) or the £300 ish G27 (paddles and wireless)?

Also I have a problem regarding the peddles. Both specifications seem to suggest some sort of underside carpet grip system - but my lounge has wooden floors. I very much doubt that Mrs Rinehart will be interested in carpetting the lounge for this...!

So, is it possible to configure either so that the accelerator and brake functions can be input from the steering wheel, for example could I drive in auto and configure the paddles as accelerator and brake, Zanardi style? Or any other buttons for that matter - and do away with the peddles?

Any help gratefully recieved!

#14 damon_hill_fan2007

damon_hill_fan2007

• 90 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:15

am i correct in thinking the GT wheel has buttons behind the wheel for gear changes as well as the stick shifter?

#15 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 09:52

Yep, little plastic paddles.

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:35

Hi guys,

Have I got this right the G27 is the replacement for the G25, so if I want to buy new its a choice between the £100 ish GT (sequential and cables) or the £300 ish G27 (paddles and wireless)?

Also I have a problem regarding the peddles. Both specifications seem to suggest some sort of underside carpet grip system - but my lounge has wooden floors. I very much doubt that Mrs Rinehart will be interested in carpetting the lounge for this...!

So, is it possible to configure either so that the accelerator and brake functions can be input from the steering wheel, for example could I drive in auto and configure the paddles as accelerator and brake, Zanardi style? Or any other buttons for that matter - and do away with the peddles?

Pedals and paddles are two very different things. :p

You could use accelerator and brake in the wheel, but you won't want to! Not only it is more awkward/uncomfortable, all the buttons (including the paddles) are simply on/off. You can't give 50% throttle/brakes, it's either 100% or 0%. That means you can't progressively get into the throttle or let go of the brakes, making it impossible to drive without traction control and ABS.

I also don't think the G27 is wireless, but could be wrong as I haven't tried it. The major differences between the DFGT and the G27 are the extra H-shifter, the extra clutch pedal, the extra feel of the pedals (although Ninjastar says they're too stiff, I think most people prefer it that way though!), and the rev LEDs on the wheel. The wheel itself should be pretty similar in terms of feel (excellent force feedback) although G27 comes in leather.

#17 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:21

I have tried the GT and I have to say I did not think it was worth the money they are asking for it.
IMHO the Saitek R440 easily matches it and is about half the price. The pedal design is so much better and the footrest negates the need to anything extra to secure it to the floor.

Fwiw, I use the G25 and love it but I wish I could transplant the design of the Saitek pedals to the Logitech.
Also fwiw, a lot is spoken about 'feel' with wheels and whilst I would acknowledge there is a slight difference, I am no faster with the £200 wheel than I am with the £50 one.

#18 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 16:49

IMHO, there is no point in buying G25 when you can get the Driving Force GT. The FFB tech on the GT is much closer to that of G27, then G25. It is a really solid and good wheel, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it if you dont want to pay the extra for the G27.

#19 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 14:04

I use the Driving Force GT with F1 2010 on my PS3 and its awesome!

Advertisement

#20 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 14:08

Especially the pedals? The reason I`m asking... :rolleyes: I had a G25 a few months ago. The pedals were poorly designed and after 5 months completely broken.

How on earth did you manage that!? :eek:

Never heard anyone before with G25 pedal issues... they're rock solid.

There's no way the pedals of the Driving Force GT are going to be any sort of improvement over it.

Edited by Lights, 05 October 2010 - 14:10.

#21 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 14:14

Hi guys,

There's just no way you actually want to drive without pedals.

I have wooden floors as well, so I simply have the undersite carpet grip system 'tucked in'. You don't have to notice it's there. The only thing with wooden floors is, you need to make sure it can't slide away. A wall makes sense but then those nuggets at Logitech decided to put the pedals cable right at the back so you can't simply put it against a wall as the cable might get damaged.

#22 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 13:58

There's just no way you actually want to drive without pedals.

I have wooden floors as well, so I simply have the undersite carpet grip system 'tucked in'. You don't have to notice it's there. The only thing with wooden floors is, you need to make sure it can't slide away. A wall makes sense but then those nuggets at Logitech decided to put the pedals cable right at the back so you can't simply put it against a wall as the cable might get damaged.

Thanks mate.

I've bought the GT. And a cheap B&Q door mat and placed the pedals on the mat, on the wooden floor. Doesn't move an inch. Perfect.

I'm driving with 30% FF and 30% weight, and no environmental effects - which I think are awful!

Anything stronger than 30% and the low table I have mounted the wheel to starts moving!!!

If definately gone a bit Jenson Button in my driving style with this wheel, totally unplanned! I'm getting handy at turning in to a 'guessed' angle and unwinding the wheel on exit, as opposed to lots of sawing at the wheel - which is what I am like with a controller. And a go Kart. Interesting.

I'd say the wheel is about a second a lap quicker, and a lot of that is actually improved braking and power delivery (related to the new driving style) rather than accuracy of lines.

Anyone know how I can reduce the lock to lock of the steering wheel? As in which specific bit of the advanced settings it is?

Cheers.

#23 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,690 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 16:27

I am looking intoa gaming set up and TBh i can't fathom how you guys use this thing? Do you have a random table set up in your living room? Seems a serious PITA to me, wouldn't something like this do a way better job? http://simhobby.com/...products_id=114

#24 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 16:45

I use it attached to my PC's desk in the attic, not for a console in the living room...

#25 baddog

baddog

• 29,694 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 23:40

I am looking intoa gaming set up and TBh i can't fathom how you guys use this thing? Do you have a random table set up in your living room? Seems a serious PITA to me, wouldn't something like this do a way better job? http://simhobby.com/...products_id=114

Full setup seats and frames are nice but not when I have to put it away in a small cupboard when done.. the whole thing has to fit in a sports holdall for me.

Ill post a pic of my temporary 'setup' but only if you promise not to laugh

#26 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,690 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 16:47

I wont laugh so long as it works, thats all i am worried about.

#27 AlabamaTommy

AlabamaTommy

• 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 15:10

I'm fast with F1 2010 PC, but slow in simbin games for example, and it seems to me that the culprit is the pedals.

#28 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 16:56

IMHO, there is no point in buying G25 when you can get the Driving Force GT.

Uhm, I don't agree. I have a Logitech Momo Racing and I'm thinking about getting the G25 second hand only for the pedals (MOMO has same pedals as the DFGT if I'm not mistaken).
In iracing, I have big problems with the brakes and that's because these pedals don't have alot of travel distance. So you can't brake precisely. I'm always losing out to the faster cars under braking.

Do not underestimate the importance of a good pedal set.

#29 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 18:13

Uhm, I don't agree. I have a Logitech Momo Racing and I'm thinking about getting the G25 second hand only for the pedals (MOMO has same pedals as the DFGT if I'm not mistaken).
In iracing, I have big problems with the brakes and that's because these pedals don't have alot of travel distance. So you can't brake precisely. I'm always losing out to the faster cars under braking.

Do not underestimate the importance of a good pedal set.

A3, have you messed with the brake curve factor in iRacing? When I had Logitech MOMO I had brake curve set to 3.00

This helped me greatly with the problem you describe above.

#30 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 18:42

Actually I did this morning and in the Star Mazda I immediately improved my PB with a full second. Going to further tweak it tomorrow.

I think it was at 1.2 for some reason (i probably did that myself) and now it's at 1.9 using the measuring utility thingy. I'll try 3.0, thanks!

#31 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 19:07

No worries mate.

#32 Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park

• 22,897 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:48

I used two Logitech wheels - the first one was pretty cheap, with a non robust 180 degree low power feedback mechanism, designed for perhaps GT3. Then I got the Pro one, for I think GT4. Its gear change wing buttons failed, and then side press buttons failed. Hmm ... the manual change did not fail though. Eventually I got as fast, almost, with the lever change (by typically entering corners with a higher gear than previously). I haven't bought GT5 yet but I may get the new wheel. Evidently with the new Pro wheel, you can change the setups while you race. I would love that, as sometimes with GT4 I'd find the setup was wrong, and sometimes a race was completely screwed when the tyres started to go off even a bit. I doubt the older pro wheel - without that orange round control on the lower right of the wheel hub- would handle the ability to change setups mid event.

I think I might squeeze the buttons and wings too hard. I have yachtsman's hard hands, and they seem to brake things at times. A bummer in fact ... the Pro wheels are not available in Australia at the moment. And while they cost $150 in the USA, their retail here was $300. Yet JB HiFi had a special for the game - GT5 - and the Pro Wheel for $170. But that finished quite some time ago ...

Edited by Melbourne Park, 24 February 2011 - 06:50.

#33 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:22

GT5 and F1 2010 are arcade games compared to iracing, Live for Speed and Netkar (Pro).

F1 2010 is nice, but it's certainly nothing special. And as I understood, GT5 is not all that great either.

So it depends on what you want. A casual gaming experience or a simulation that allows you to compete against others at a professional level (for as far a computer simulation will allow that).

I've picked up a used G25 and no other wheel I've owned can compare to it.

I iracing for example, my PB in the MX5 at Laguna Seca was 1:44.1 (after hundreds of laps), after 2 days with the G25 I've brought it down to 1:42.9. That's a big difference, only because of the wheel and pedals.

So you can buy a new DFGT, but I'd suggest too look for a second hand G25 which is 10 times better, fact.

Edited by A3, 24 February 2011 - 08:23.

#34 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:37

Logitech G27 has dropped in price a lot in last week or so. Available off Logitech Aus website for $344 from $500. Check your local supplier as it is a great wheel!

#35 100cc

100cc

• 3,178 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:40

Logitech G27 has dropped in price a lot in last week or so. Available off Logitech Aus website for $344 from $500. Check your local supplier as it is a great wheel!

Almost the same price as it is in Malaysia. I picked mine up a few weeks ago for ~335 AUD which is the standard price here.

Really good :up:. I upgraded from a Black Momo. The pedals took a day to get used to but they're definitely better.

I also don't get the design choice of having the cable out the back of the pedals. :rolleyes:

#36 MrFondue

MrFondue

• 375 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 18:18

A bit pricey...

Posted Image

but unmatched

#37 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:11

man i wanna a FREX setup.... :love:

#38 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 14:04

I own a DFGT. The wheel is very good, it should be enough for most people. When I was buying it (just after its release) it was the best value for money.
The pedals are OK. Nothing special, but they work fine. Sure, they could be better (especially the brake pedal) but you won't get anything better for that price.

I use(d) it mostly in LFS and Richard Burns Rally.

Uh, sorry for the archaeology. This topic was on the first page, so I didn't even look at last post's date. Well, maybe this post will help someone in the future :)

Edited by DrProzac, 02 July 2011 - 14:05.

#39 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 16:37

I own a DFGT. The wheel is very good, it should be enough for most people. When I was buying it (just after its release) it was the best value for money.
The pedals are OK. Nothing special, but they work fine. Sure, they could be better (especially the brake pedal) but you won't get anything better for that price.

I use(d) it mostly in LFS and Richard Burns Rally.

Uh, sorry for the archaeology. This topic was on the first page, so I didn't even look at last post's date. Well, maybe this post will help someone in the future :)

I have a DFGT too and think it's fantastic, paid £80 for it on it's 'relaunch' back in October last year and haven't looked back. I can't do driving games/sims with a gamepad now, it doesn't feel right!

My only gripe with the wheel is that it's a bit noisy, especially if you're playing a rally game (like DIRT 3) and there's a lot of extreme steering movements involved...

Advertisement

#40 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 15:56

Yeah, it is a bit noisy. But I don't mind. TBH I'm too focused on driving and listening to Robert Reid to notice ;)

It may be problematic for someone. Though I don't know if G25/27 are any better in this regard.

#41 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 16:45

I only have the G25 (used to own a crappy PC wheel ages ago, nothing to compare). When I look at the games prices it's really cheap although it's still an investment. The only issue is the space it takes, mostly because of the cables (I think i's improved with the G27).

I use it mostly for GT5. It's special.

#42 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:38

After 20 years I just gave in to temptation and orderd a wheel. Just to complete my madness, I made it a G27...

#43 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 14:46

Thanks mate.

I've bought the GT. And a cheap B&Q door mat and placed the pedals on the mat, on the wooden floor. Doesn't move an inch. Perfect.

How do you stop the mat from moving?

I had the same problem with the G25 pedal set on a laminate floor. It has rubber traction pads that are tiny and don't afford much grip at all. They get covered with dust too which makes them even less effective over time.

#44 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 15:22

Posted Image

;)

Edited by A3, 03 August 2011 - 15:23.

#45 Mary Popsins

Mary Popsins

• 729 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 17:13

Posted Image

;)

Thanks. Now I won't be a victim of the force-feedback anymore, lol.

#46 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 14:12

Mine turned up at lunch, and I time to do a handful of laps of Vandvoort in GPL. Definately need a few more laps to get used to it and bring my lap times down (and not spin!)

Edited by MrAerodynamicist, 04 August 2011 - 14:18.

#47 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 20:33

Vandvoort?;)

So, iRacing?

#48 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 22:57

Signed up a 3 month trial about an hour ago. so far I've managed to do some laps in the MX5 at Lime Rock (my 1m03s only seem to be 5s econds off the pace) (and a lot of spins in the Spec Racer!) Finding the web interface slightly confusing...

#49 A3

A3

• 32,100 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:33

Agreed, the website can be quite confusing in the beginning.

How did you set your wheel up? The latest Iracing build has a damping slider in the options screen, it's important how you've set up your windows settings.

#50 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,746 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 18:39

I'm hoping and guessing you mean Zandvoort, right? :lol: