Photo

F1 2010 What they Did Right, what needs Tweaking

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 18:47

OK. We 're all trudging through F12010 beta release.

Assuming they fix the bugs, let's concentrate on what could make it a better F1 game for 2011.

Handling: they need to tweak the braking on all aids off, there should be smoke on locked tyres. Initial grip with TC off is just wrong, F1 cars don't spin that easily.
AI and wet handling is just wrong, completely wrong. It's needs a re-work, my guess is the place to look is the modding community.

Tire Wear: not really evident, have yet to see graining, blistering, etc.

Interview, agent: meh. Adds nothing.

Podium win: should show the actual podium? Parc ferme?

Helmets: custom graphics import for consoles.

Crash physics: crashes have been scaled down. This is an F1 requirement. The GP series got around this, but this was a huge fun aspect of GPL.

Mirrors/view: I'm not sure how to describe the problem, but the in-car view could be better.

Sector times: green/purple/yellow track icon! Keep splits on screen!

F-ducts: why isn't this part of the game for some cars?

Color palette: CM somehow thinks the pseudo-sepia color palette is cool. It's not.
Same for wide-screen menu screens -what's the point? This is all carried over from GRID.

Random occurrences, crashes, mistakes, too rare. This is missing from most games at the hardest level. Perfect AI is frustrating.

AI behavior-it's not bad, but I would allow the game to tolerate more wheel-banging without penalties, but also include more damage.

Engineer: they should suggest faster settings to try.

There should be a way to just come in and quit a race.

Starts: the best starts are in F1 CE, you do the full warmup lap and try to put heat in the tires. Starts are too easy in the game.

Pits: in F1 CE, pit stops are essentially a mini-game, where button matching determines the length of the stop. At the very least, you should be responsible for hitting your stop mark, and when to exit.

Career: after a great season, you should skip to the option of the best teams.

Advertisement

#2 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 19:00

Not a bad list.

Couple I'd add:

* Better feedback (visual/audio) on any form of tyre slippage (front and/or rear)
* Debug interface for controller/wheel setup (0-100% brake/throttle)
* Full list of laptimes/sector times for each outing in practice/qual/race.

Nice to haves:
* Replay system that allows you to switch between cars.
* Ditch or reduce the amount of traction settings, etc and reduce the power of the cars into staggered groups.
* Bring different/more distinguishable handling characteristics into the cars.

#3 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 19:05

would be cool todo a career where you start in gp3/f2 then onto gp2 then f1 :)

#4 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 19:16

Tire Wear: not really evident, have yet to see graining, blistering, etc.

Well it's not really evident in real life either :p

Random occurrences, crashes, mistakes, too rare. This is missing from most games at the hardest level. Perfect AI is frustrating.

AI behavior-it's not bad, but I would allow the game to tolerate more wheel-banging without penalties, but also include more damage.

From what I've played of the game (don't have it myself), I agree. I hated getting penalised for another car whacking me into Alonso - much as I enjoyed it.  ;)

#5 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 19:34

would be cool todo a career where you start in gp3/f2 then onto gp2 then f1 :)

Karting>GP2>F1

:up:

#6 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 23:02

Not much point adding the f duct for next year! But some good ideas.

#7 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 23:17

Just in terms of driving my car.

Agree on the braking. I actually have to try to lock up.
Force Feedback adds pretty much nothing for me. Aside from feeling the bumps, it gives no warning whatsoever that I am about to run out of grip.

The other well known bugs are far more important however.

#8 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 23:22

Not much point adding the f duct for next year! But some good ideas.

Codies did say that they couldn't include a f-duct function, but the cars that had it at the time of completing the car models (McLaren and Sauber) do have a better topspeed as they have f-ducts, it's just automatic and less pronounced.

#9 Augurk

Augurk

• 5,513 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:57

The color palette is imo (one of) the best I've ever seen in an F1 game. It feels much more raw/realistic than the bombarding plastic bright and hard colours palette in most games. And I don't think it's semi-sepia or whatever. It's just a bit less saturated.

#10 rm111

rm111

• 406 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:16

* Better feedback (visual/audio) on any form of tyre slippage (front and/or rear)

:up: A must!

#11 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,429 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:56

Pros:

First laps are great, you can't just sail up 10/12 positions from the back like in other sims.

The engineer is good, he is bugged unfortunately but I like the concept.

I like the set-up menus although the ability not to share them on PC is ridiculous.

The weather - general graphics are good.

Cons (excluding AI and obvious bugs):

Slipsteaming almost non-existant for player cars.

Menu system for PC feels very lazily ported across from the 360 version. You should be able to use the mouse!

Use real world units for braking distances. 200m, 100m and 50m boards should not be equal distances apart! Brakes should visibly lock up and give more force feedback.

General force feedback needs to better as stated above.

Use real world fuel management. Instead of starting the race with "30 laps" of fuel you should start with, say, 200kg and be able to increase/decrease fuel usage per lap as you see fit (with your engineer telling you if you have a surplus/deficit).

You should be able to copy your teammates setup!

Telemetery of your laps in terms of throttle position, traction, speed, time loss, braking etc and preferably be able to compare to your AI teammate (although AI would need to be massively improved for this to be useful).

Online "custom game" lobby interface is archaic (sp). Need information on what games are in progress, pings, latency, users average finishing position, users locations etc etc. Also 24 player races (although I think they've said this is coming for F1 2011).

Tyre temperatures should be more dynamic. So they shouldn't be green when you're sitting on the grid or driving out of the pits!

I'll get on to AI later... which IMO is the main thing really holding the game back.

Edited by SpeedRacer`, 13 October 2010 - 10:58.

#12 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 17:26

The color palette is imo (one of) the best I've ever seen in an F1 game. It feels much more raw/realistic than the bombarding plastic bright and hard colours palette in most games. And I don't think it's semi-sepia or whatever. It's just a bit less saturated.

They made it look like video, but real F1 colors are mostly day-glo.

Edited by Villes Gilleneuve, 13 October 2010 - 17:27.

#13 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 17:30

Slipsteaming almost non-existant for player cars.

I've noticed this and tried to test it: there is no slipstreaming in this game, zero. If you go right up on the gearbox, the AI just brakes earlier.

Anthony Davidson consulted on this, you know.

#14 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:34

Gap times, gap times, gap times. 15 laps from the end should i ease off or speed up, i have no idea because i only know if the cars around me are faster or slower than me.

An engineer who actually tells me whether it's going to rain in the next few laps or whether my times indicate that that it would be better to pit for slicks would be nice too.

Everything else (other than the bugs) i'm pretty much satisfied with.

Edited by Doughnut King, 13 October 2010 - 19:34.

#15 Jay101

Jay101

• 649 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 19:38

I've noticed this and tried to test it: there is no slipstreaming in this game, zero. If you go right up on the gearbox, the AI just brakes earlier.

Anthony Davidson consulted on this, you know.

I've found there's a small improvement on top speed on a long straight if slipstreaming. I managed to get right up the arse of a Force India in my Lotus (highly loaded with a lot of wing) on two occasions on the long straight of China and managed just an extra 4 mph before the braking point and without hitting the rev limiter. Would of expected much more than 4mph though considering how close I was to him all the way along the straight.

#16 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:42

The F-duct is already in the game!

#17 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 14:26

Wouldnt change a lot.

- Copy F1 CE pit stop mini game, but leave the option to have auto pit limiter. I CBA with finding the line and breaking down myself.
- Promotion of reserve driver/relegation of 2nd driver as per F1CE
- Actually have some people retiring from a race, for once. There are NO mechanical failures in this game I have seen.
- the lap times, split times and gaps information is so incredibly crap it is unbelievable. Its really shocking.
- Rain makes no difference
- Lose invalidated next lap in time trial mode

All in all, I think Codemasters have done a lame job with the licence. The game is fun but even bugs aside its missing so much that could easily have been included.

#18 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 19:13

- Rain makes no difference

Huh? I spin if I go near a curb in the rain where as the same curb in the dry is no problem??

#19 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 20:00

The F-duct is already in the game!

No, it isn't.

Advertisement

#20 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 20:02

Huh? I spin if I go near a curb in the rain where as the same curb in the dry is no problem??

Varies from track to track, but many tracks you can go on the grass with as much grip as tarmac.

The cars have unrealistic lap times and grip in wet.

#21 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:23

But it does definitely make a difference, try going out on slicks............

#22 Ninjastar

Ninjastar

• 92 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:55

Not much to say but just add 1 point.

Wind noise. I think it adds to the immersion of high speed.

#23 slideways

slideways

• 3,395 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:58

No, it isn't.

Yes it is.

Codemasters gave top speed boosts to the teams that had fducts in the early season.

#24 SRi130Brett

SRi130Brett

• 341 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:31

I notice no difference mate!! I spin if I touch an apex in the dry or the wet LOL!!!

Really is shocking some aspects of this game, at Singapore half the kerbs cant be touched even in the dry.

Edited by SRi130Brett, 15 October 2010 - 10:31.

#25 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 15:30

Yes it is.

Codemasters gave top speed boosts to the teams that had fducts in the early season.

No, it isn't.

I don't think you understand what an F-duct is. It is controlled by the driver to stall the rear wing on straights, then blocked in corners to restore downforce.

This is not the same as just speeding a car up.

#26 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 15:33

But it does definitely make a difference, try going out on slicks............

Yes, but then when on wets in a deluge, the speeds are almost as fast as dry.

I actually did an awesome race where it rained on the last lap. I could not pit, I had to get the car to the finish on slicks in a light rain.

Those physics were spot-on, but the full wet physics just need work.

#27 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 15:37

One thing I should have added: they need to tweak the graphic engine on the PS3 to use the unique rendering power of the Sony chips.

As it stands, the graphics suffer on the PS3, while in F1CE, the graphics blow away anything on any PC. Always 60fps.

#28 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 15:54

One thing I should have added: they need to tweak the graphic engine on the PS3 to use the unique rendering power of the Sony chips.

As it stands, the graphics suffer on the PS3, while in F1CE, the graphics blow away anything on any PC. Always 60fps.

Apparently the equipment Codemasters use to make their games is more suited to Xbox, I think due to certain chips being more compatible (ATI for Xbox and Nvidia for PS£) etc. but I agree there's untapped potential in the PS3 version... it looks great, but I get framerate lag on a couple of tracks, mainly Monaco which I get quite a lot through the second part of the swimming pool... It's not particularly annoying but can cause me to not attack the corner as much.

#29 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 16:54

They made it look like video, but real F1 colors are mostly day-glo.

Reality vs Perception. Always a tricky one in Video games.

But Villes, you are correct. The world is a much more saturated place than people "imagine" it to be.

Go out on a sunny day and look at the grass, around here, after months of rain, it is SERIOUSLY green, not a little bit, but very. Same goes with the sky. There are days I look up and it is so blue, I think that if I put it in a game no one would believe it.

I remember during the GP4 build there was a lot of back and forth with reguard to the grass. Some wanted it to be faded like they see on TV, others wanted it to look like it does when you are stood in a medow on a Sunny day. The two are not the same thing. Luckily for us, Crammond had the last word, and he wanted his grass Green. Very :)

Oddly enough though, I think back to every F1 race I have seen, live and on TV. And I can never recall it having an orange tint. So not sure why they introduced that. Its not seen on TV or reality except maybe under certinan cloud conditions and of course sunrise/set.

#30 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 20:11

Apparently the equipment Codemasters use to make their games is more suited to Xbox, I think due to certain chips being more compatible (ATI for Xbox and Nvidia for PS£) etc. but I agree there's untapped potential in the PS3 version... it looks great, but I get framerate lag on a couple of tracks, mainly Monaco which I get quite a lot through the second part of the swimming pool... It's not particularly annoying but can cause me to not attack the corner as much.

Monaco, Bahrain, Hockenheim are pretty bad. It has nothing to do with object rendering, something to do with corrupt object files.

If you look at GT5, nothing like that exists on a PC, for less than the cost of a typical mediocre PC graphics card.

Xbox and PC are essentially the same thing. PS3 can emulate those formats, but it's just an emulation.

#31 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 20:12

Reality vs Perception. Always a tricky one in Video games.

But Villes, you are correct. The world is a much more saturated place than people "imagine" it to be.

It's always the first thing people say to me when they see an F1 race for the first time: they had no idea the real colors are so gaudy.

#32 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:35

Monaco, Bahrain, Hockenheim are pretty bad. It has nothing to do with object rendering, something to do with corrupt object files.

If you look at GT5, nothing like that exists on a PC, for less than the cost of a typical mediocre PC graphics card.

Xbox and PC are essentially the same thing. PS3 can emulate those formats, but it's just an emulation.

My $300NZ (GTX460) graphics card make a PS3 weep in embarrassment, it alone has more processing power than an entire PS3.

I get well over 60fps @1920x1200 with 8XQCSAA.

When you look at actual game-play footage from GT5, it's not so flash really. (show me otherwise)

The PS5 graphics processor is kinda mediocre by average PC standards IMO.

ps: At Montreal in the wet, doing a good lap I could get it in 126.949 on inters and in the dry on a scruffy lap, 119.547 ;)

Edited by klyster, 16 October 2010 - 09:17.

#33 lwd

lwd

• 219 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:01

Personally I think Codemasters have done a great job on this. Sure it's not perfect yet, but it's far and away the best f1 game to be seen on a console, and I think on PC as well. It needs some tweaking for sure, but with a wheel it's great.

To the people who say an f1 car doesn't spin that easily with the TC turned off - Really? Have you ever driven an f1 car? I haven't either. But I remember seeing one of the Top Gear guys having a go with a Renault F1. He span ALOT. We're just used to seeing the best professional racing drivers in the world drive these things.

#34 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,429 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:40

Personally I think Codemasters have done a great job on this. Sure it's not perfect yet, but it's far and away the best f1 game to be seen on a console, and I think on PC as well. It needs some tweaking for sure, but with a wheel it's great.

To the people who say an f1 car doesn't spin that easily with the TC turned off - Really? Have you ever driven an f1 car? I haven't either. But I remember seeing one of the Top Gear guys having a go with a Renault F1. He span ALOT. We're just used to seeing the best professional racing drivers in the world drive these things.

Only because he drove so slowly he had no temps in the tyres! Then it is like driving on ice.

#35 notguilty56

notguilty56

• 1,759 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:34

It's always the first thing people say to me when they see an F1 race for the first time: they had no idea the real colors are so gaudy.

It's true. I remember, back in 1991, when I saw a Marlboro-McLaren in Montmeló for the first time. Didn't know they were glow red.

#36 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,935 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 15:27

Well, I guess it depends on the weather, wouldn't it? I mean, I just look outside today to see everything (even the bright yellow sign that signals road workers ahead) pretty much greyish and de-saturated. An "orange" Ferrari of today would almost look like old Corso Rosso (?) on my street.

Now, why they chose to show only cloudy skies (even when the ingame weather says Sunny!) I don't know, but it's obviously something to do with the Lighting and not the Textures.

#37 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:10

Fundamentally they've got the driving right and I hope they stick with the driving model they have with just some fine tweaking to be done.

Multiplayer is also a lot of fun and from what I've heard further developments will be made in 2011. One of these has to be being able to tell the status of current races instead of having to play lotto just to find a race that's not already going.

I think putting more effort into making career mode more in depth and rewarding should be at the top of the list for changes for 2011.

#38 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 18:16

My $300NZ (GTX460) graphics card make a PS3 weep in embarrassment, it alone has more processing power than an entire PS3.

I get well over 60fps @1920x1200 with 8XQCSAA.

This is typical PC talk..graphics quality is not just resolution and anti-aliasing, it's environmental light shading, radiocity and surface rendering.

There is not point in PS3 high resolution when the max output is 1080p. There are light shaders specific for the PS3 chips that are only used by a handful of games.

Sorry, but nothing on any PC matches GT5. No one will used advanced light shaders and surface renders on a PC platform because most people don't have the cards to support it. Same with true 5.1 sound.

#39 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 18:23

Fundamentally they've got the driving right and I hope they stick with the driving model they have with just some fine tweaking to be done.

Multiplayer is also a lot of fun and from what I've heard further developments will be made in 2011. One of these has to be being able to tell the status of current races instead of having to play lotto just to find a race that's not already going.

I think putting more effort into making career mode more in depth and rewarding should be at the top of the list for changes for 2011.

The one thing that is missing from a modern F1 game is the power of the internet to interweave with real F1 data.

i.e. what if you had the option to match weather to the real race? or the same starting grid as a real race?

There should be car model and color updates when you sign on.

Another potentially cool idea: watch a real F1 race rendered through the F12010 game, and be able to sit in any car at any time. The location data is all there to do this.

Or may favorite idea: you were there: re-construct a real incident in F1 and put you in either car, see what you would do:i.e. Vettel-Webber, Schumacher-Barichello at Hungary, Hamilton-Webber at Singapore, etc.

Advertisement

#40 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 18:30

They are already committing to fixing the wet handling physics: the problem is that it's good on some tracks, but not others. On some tracks, the wet is ice, and wet tyres don't help. Also, wet races are deluges, they overdid it.

As for TC off, the problem is the modulation through the controller, it's too binary.

As for the real world, you can see many in-car videos with telemetry that show the drivers stabbing the throttle out of a slow corner, without spinning.

Some of the curbs are greasy, you can spin in the first chicane at Monza by just driving over the curb with the throttle off -that doesn't make sense.

#41 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 18:35

They are already committing to fixing the wet handling physics: the problem is that it's good on some tracks, but not others. On some tracks, the wet is ice, and wet tyres don't help. Also, wet races are deluges, they overdid it.

As for TC off, the problem is the modulation through the controller, it's too binary.

As for the real world, you can see many in-car videos with telemetry that show the drivers stabbing the throttle out of a slow corner, without spinning.

Some of the curbs are greasy, you can spin in the first chicane at Monza by just driving over the curb with the throttle off -that doesn't make sense.

You can see the good intentions in what they are trying to do, especially with the wet weather and kerbs wet-and-dry... they've made them difficult to attack as to stop people from overusing them. In the real world, the kerbs are there to be attacked, but not so much they damage the car... with the wet physics, they probably underestimated people's determination probably, thinking that if they made staying on the track in heavy rain TOO difficult, then some players might get bored... like you say some tracks they've got the balance right, some need tweaking.

I find the Monza kerbs annoying too, but I understand the intention of making them difficult to attack...

#42 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,429 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 19:33

This is typical PC talk..graphics quality is not just resolution and anti-aliasing, it's environmental light shading, radiocity and surface rendering.

There is not point in PS3 high resolution when the max output is 1080p. There are light shaders specific for the PS3 chips that are only used by a handful of games.

Sorry, but nothing on any PC matches GT5. No one will used advanced light shaders and surface renders on a PC platform because most people don't have the cards to support it. Same with true 5.1 sound.

Not sure if you're just talking about racing games, but Crysis is far, far superior to anything on any console for graphics.

You're saying that a console released in 2006 can produce anything better than the PC today? Really?

You can see the good intentions in what they are trying to do, especially with the wet weather and kerbs wet-and-dry... they've made them difficult to attack as to stop people from overusing them. In the real world, the kerbs are there to be attacked, but not so much they damage the car... with the wet physics, they probably underestimated people's determination probably, thinking that if they made staying on the track in heavy rain TOO difficult, then some players might get bored... like you say some tracks they've got the balance right, some need tweaking.

I find the Monza kerbs annoying too, but I understand the intention of making them difficult to attack...

The biggest problem with Monza is the braking distances are totally wrong (or rather, the decision not to use real world units on the marker boards)

#43 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 20:09

Not sure if you're just talking about racing games, but Crysis is far, far superior to anything on any console for graphics.

You're saying that a console released in 2006 can produce anything better than the PC today? Really?

The biggest problem with Monza is the braking distances are totally wrong (or rather, the decision not to use real world units on the marker boards)

Yeah I noticed that too, but I've been braking at the '200m' board and that's my set distance now, so it's not really affecting me... I have thought that the brakes aren't as strong as in real life though, as when I watch an onboard video my braking distances seem longer, and if i try what the real guys do I have no chance of making the corner? I suppose it teaches you to find your own braking points and work at the consistency, but I'd love to be able to try a Lewis Hamilton banzai braking move like Monza 2007, or Kobayashi at Suzuka two weeks ago... you can brake later than the AI on lots of corners, but I want to do one of those 'impossible' moves!!!

#44 klyster

klyster

• 5,738 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 20:25

:stoned: dream on buddy. GT5 isn't even out yet, and the in game shots aren't anything like the prerendered scenes everyone has been spooging over.

PC games can turn things on and of at whim to adjust to whichever card a person has and the level of support required, dx9, dx10, dx11 etc. Most motherboards (even the cheap ones) support 7.1 these days.

My maximum output isn't much more really (1920x1200) but not having jaggies everywhere really make for nicer gaming, if the PS3 is so **** hot, some decent AA shouldn't be too big an ask eh?

PS3 in nice, but it's a kids toy compared to modern graphics cards (which are big kid toys), and you should know this.

Edited by klyster, 18 October 2010 - 20:32.

#45 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 21:44

Or may favorite idea: you were there: re-construct a real incident in F1 and put you in either car, see what you would do:i.e. Vettel-Webber, Schumacher-Barichello at Hungary, Hamilton-Webber at Singapore, etc.

I actually just bought NBA2K11 and a component of it is Michael Jordan's ten best games, allowing you to take part in them. I think it's a great idea to recreate playable situations, such as say the last 10 laps of the 2005 European GP trying to nurse home Kimi's car to victory without blowing the tyre, or Brazil 2008 trying to finish 5th with Hamilton in the dying laps, Spa 2008, etc.

#46 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 21:53

I actually just bought NBA2K11 and a component of it is Michael Jordan's ten best games, allowing you to take part in them. I think it's a great idea to recreate playable situations, such as say the last 10 laps of the 2005 European GP trying to nurse home Kimi's car to victory without blowing the tyre, or Brazil 2008 trying to finish 5th with Hamilton in the dying laps, Spa 2008, etc.

They used to do that on the old Nintendo 64 F1 games, give you scenarios from the real seasons past (1997 and 1998) and you had to match or beat what happened in real life!!

If codies can implement a good mechanical failure system for next year's game that would be a good extra feature, like trying to do Hamilton's stint in Japan with only 4th gear and above, or getting the car home with not much fuel, like Massa in Spain 2009.

#47 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 22:09

things i dont see in the Codemasters Fix list.

1.a major increase in A1 strength.its just ridiculous at the moment.people are winning races with Lotus/Virgin on Legend difficulty settings.You're miles faster than your teammate every session.

2.A1 should be going faster through the quicker corners.at the moment u can overtake Alonso in a Virgin midcorner.

3.the braking physics itself are utterly unrealistic.Neither the visual or the feedback give u any indication when you are running out of grip at a corner.

4.The race engineer needs to sober up..he needs to stop telling me the wrong sectors every time theres an accident or im slow through one.he also needs to stop telling me to copy my teammates setup when thats not even an option and why would i do that anyway when hes no way near my pace.

5.There really isnt any oversteer/rear sliding into corners(this may just be subjective but ive pretty much tried everything).u can try the most extreme oversteer setups with the TC off...either u dont have any oversteer or you simply spin every time.theres nothing in between.

6.Chandok needs to stop doing fastest laps.its hilarious.the slower teams would be doing their usual times and then all of a sudden one driver(or more) will simply rocket off posting times that are seconds faster than the RBs.

7.i need to see a map showing the traffic before i go out on track in practice/quali

8.The invalidated laps need adjustment to say the least.either punish me when im actually cutting a corner or introduce an option by which u can turn this penalty off.

In its current form the game is probably good fun if you play one weekend or one short 3,4 lap wet race but the season mode is the real thing in f1 games and the current A1 renders it useless

Edited by grunge, 18 October 2010 - 22:38.

#48 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 15:49

Great idea. The hamilton one would be interesting as youd be relying on the AI going backwards. How about the ones where we know the easier solution, like Spa 98, Adelaide 94 would be popular :cool:

#49 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 17:37

things i dont see in the Codemasters Fix list.

bitch about bugs in the other thread.

#50 Villes Gilleneuve

Villes Gilleneuve

• 2,248 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 17:46

:stoned: dream on buddy. GT5 isn't even out yet, and the in game shots aren't anything like the prerendered scenes everyone has been spooging over.

PC games can turn things on and of at whim to adjust to whichever card a person has and the level of support required, dx9, dx10, dx11 etc. Most motherboards (even the cheap ones) support 7.1 these days.

My maximum output isn't much more really (1920x1200) but not having jaggies everywhere really make for nicer gaming, if the PS3 is so **** hot, some decent AA shouldn't be too big an ask eh?

PS3 in nice, but it's a kids toy compared to modern graphics cards (which are big kid toys), and you should know this.

You should know that you can't just "turn on at whim" graphics characteristics if they weren't in the original programming. Few PC games are modeled at the level of top cards, it would be pointless for the developers.

I have mega bucks computer cards -they boost AA and resolution, buy the basic light shading and rendering don't get any better.

GT5 has been delayed because of frame rate issues -Codemasters just went ahead and released a game with crap frame rates.

As for the game shots -they aren't the final game, and Youtube videos of TVs really don't tell us anything.

Edited by Villes Gilleneuve, 20 October 2010 - 17:49.