Barcelona Test 18th - 21st

• Please log in to reply
2001 replies to this topic

#1 Scorf

Scorf

• 216 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 20:34

So, this is when it gets serious....

A good car here is a good car anywhere / everywhere...??

Will this be the test where conclusions can finally be drawn....or just another chance for debate over meaningless times..???

Gentlemen...start your engines....

:up:

Advertisement

#2 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 20:37

Drivers schedule (only confirmed by teams):

http://www.circuitca...ver_Line_UP.pdf

#3 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 20:37

Ahem, ladies too. :p

I'm flying out on Thursday to watch the full 4 days. :clap:

#4 Scorf

Scorf

• 216 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 20:42

My humble apologies... :blush:

Enjoy!

#5 BiH

BiH

• 2,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 20:45

hopefully we still get live timing from williams

agree barcelona is the biggest indication of pecking order for season

#6 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:26

I expect red bull to give a clearer indication of their pace here. Remeber last year when webber had a morning run that demolished everyone?

#7 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:29

Remeber last year when webber had a morning run that demolished everyone?

That didn't happen though? I remember Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari all producing really similar long pace. "demolished everyone" is just rewriting history.

#8 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:31

Well I know this much, I need to see something, anything, comforting from macca at this test!

#9 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:36

My humble apologies... :blush:

Enjoy!

No problem.

I cant wait. I'm meeting up with loads of people who I have never met before but I know them via the internet. Crazy as I'm travelling alone. :stoned:

#10 BigWicks

BigWicks

• 750 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:41

lets remember what people were saying after the barcelona test last year

The feeling about Red Bull is that the car is a little heavy on its tyres, as last season, which might not help it in races, despite looking like a pretty quick car.

As expected it looks like the closest season for many years with four teams fighting for the overall victory and several others only a few tenths of a second behind. The rule changes outlawing refuelling seem to have brought the field closer together, if anything, and McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes can all expect to fight for victory in the early part of the season. With those four teams stuffed with superstar drivers with a point to prove, including four world champions it should be a vintage season of F1

so what the "experts" say after this test is not the be all and end all :)

#11 Owen

Owen

• 13,183 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:43

The feeling persists though that when the time comes for Red Bull to see what the thing will do over a single lap on a low fuel run, it will lead to a collective intake of breath in the F1 paddock.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

#12 timmy bolt

timmy bolt

• 1,575 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:53

lets remember what people were saying after the barcelona test last year

so what the "experts" say after this test is not the be all and end all :)

They weren't actually too far out though. Remove the EBD and the rediculous quali Q3 times it achieved and on many tracks either the ferrari or mclaren were able to sit behind the RB's after the start. The RB car was certainly the fastest, but not by the huge margins suggested by the results from Quali (and in turn the races).

Edit - so unles we get another game changer like that, it might be worth listening to them for there general feelings.

Edited by timmy bolt, 13 February 2011 - 21:54.

#13 OO7

OO7

• 23,470 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:54

From James Allen:

The feeling persists though that when the time comes for Red Bull to see what the thing will do over a single lap on a low fuel run, it will lead to a collective intake of breath in the F1 paddock.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

I have the same feeling unfortunately Owen.

#14 Owen

Owen

• 13,183 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 21:56

From James Allen:

Right now, it's looking ominous isn't it? This McLaren needs to be one hell of a car!
:(

#15 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,439 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 22:01

I'm not going to make any inferences from this data, but here at the best times set (to the nearest tenth) by each team during the winter test at Barcelona last year:
mclaren 120.5
red bull 120.5
ferrari 120.5
force india 120.6
williams 120.6
mercedes 120.8
sauber 120.9
toro rosso 121.4
renault 122.5
lotus 125.0
virgin 125.9

And these are their best qualifying times for the Barcelona race in 2010:
red bull 120.0
mclaren 120.8
ferrari 120.9
mercedes 121.3
renault 121.4
sauber 121.7
force india 122.0
williams 122.1
toro rosso 122.2
lotus 124.7
virgin 125.5

Edited by Nustang70, 13 February 2011 - 22:23.

#16 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 23:16

That didn't happen though? I remember Red Bull, McLaren and Ferrari all producing really similar long pace. "demolished everyone" is just rewriting history.

You're right, also in the early parts of the season RBR were only better in qualifying. Their race pace was not any better than McLaren's.

#17 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 23:21

You're right, also in the early parts of the season RBR were only better in qualifying. Their race pace was not any better than McLaren's.

To be honest, there weren't that many races where they were dominant under race conditions. Quali yes, races no. They never did a quali run throughout winter testing last year, however it was still obvious that they had a good car.

I'll give an assessment when I get back. However, if you look at my sig, it gives the link of the website which will be updated by myself and a few others who will be at the track.

#18 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:41

Nice lap by Button.

They probably won't be this fast this year though because of those tiny diffusers. Last year's pole was a 1:19.995

#19 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:45

From James Allen:

Me too :(

Advertisement

#20 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:46

Make sure you will share us your informations...

Enjoy :wave:

#21 BRK

BRK

• 5,197 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:51

Red Bull probably won't even bother with a proper low fuel quali run to amuse us mere mortals,though. Unless someone could wind up Vettel to go for it at some point,then Webber would follow suit and the rest of the teams could get in some early running for 2012..

#22 KiloWatt

KiloWatt

• 1,296 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:22

So, this is when it gets serious....

A good car here is a good car anywhere / everywhere...??

Will this be the test where conclusions can finally be drawn....or just another chance for debate over meaningless times..???

Gentlemen...start your engines....

:up:

Yes and no.

The teams will know approximately where they fit in the pecking order as they will know what fuel loads they are running. Unfortunately, we won't really know. Just as with any test day, the times are pretty much meaningless to us fans (note again, not to the teams as they know their program).

Except in rare cases, even the message conveyed in the press releases can't be trusted. Rather pay attention to the vibe of the press releases. Build yourself a cipher of words, such as:

"It was a satisfying/reasonable day": Means, "we are a bit concerned"
"The reliability is good": Means, "the car is very slow"
"We remain positive for the season ahead": Means "we've got some catching up to do"
"I am confident": Means "I am worried"
But..."I am very happy": Means "I like they way things are going"

Sentences containing positive emotion are a good sign, for example:
"We are very happy with the work we did today" - GOOD! :up:

As opposed to:
"We obtained some positive results with the work we did today". - BAD... :down:

In summary:
Sentences that convey positive emotion are a good sign. Sentences that are neutral/robotic/ambiguous are a bad sign. Sentences that contain bad emotion are not allowed.

That concludes my shortcourse on being a cynic. Pleasant evening, and drive safely.
:drunk: :wave:

Edited by KiloWatt, 14 February 2011 - 08:24.

#23 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 2,196 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:12

Hopefully we get some rain !

#24 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:46

Anyone know if we're going to see the Williams livery at this test?

#25 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,430 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:13

Anyone know if we're going to see the Williams livery at this test?

If their media lap at the last test has finally attracted a sponsor, then maybe :)

#26 lafitek

lafitek

• 328 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:37

Hopefully we get some rain !

based on that weather forecast...Rosberg will probably be testing on monday :rotfl: :rotfl:

#27 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:37

Friday sunny 16°
Saturday rain 16°
Sunday sunny 17°

#28 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:22

based on that weather forecast...Rosberg will probably be testing on monday :rotfl: :rotfl:

What's so funny? Since when it's disadvantage to test completely new inters or wets before season?

Unfortunately here prediction is all days will be dry. That's very bad news, because it would mean only 6 drivers drove any lap (about 5-6) on other tyres than slicks before beginning of the season :well:.

#29 plastik2k9

plastik2k9

• 509 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:31

What's so funny? Since when it's disadvantage to test completely new inters or wets before season?

Unfortunately here prediction is all days will be dry. That's very bad news, because it would mean only 6 drivers drove any lap (about 5-6) on other tyres than slicks before beginning of the season :well:.

Non-dry tyres are totally unpredictable at the best of times anyway, due to variable levels of wetness and grip. Basically everyone will be pretty much in the same boat (literally?) when it comes to wet conditions during the season regardless of who's tried the inters/wets so far. I reckon the teams would prefer plenty of dry weather, although a bit of rain wouldn't hurt I guess.

#30 Scorf

Scorf

• 216 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:31

If their media lap at the last test has finally attracted a sponsor, then maybe :)

Not sure you could call the first of an 8 lap stint "a media Lap"..!!..not even sure they were on the Super Soft so your comment doesn't really stack up..?? :confused:

Regarding sponsors, the team has a full Budget on board for 2011 according to various journo's,

I think the FW33 looks like it's got the legs of the Mercedes, maybe it will suprise a few people??

Although I will concede it looks a little fragile,

But then again, better to try to make a fast & fragile car reliable, than a slow & reliable car quick!!

Edited by Scorf, 15 February 2011 - 12:42.

#31 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 16:37

Non-dry tyres are totally unpredictable at the best of times anyway, due to variable levels of wetness and grip. Basically everyone will be pretty much in the same boat (literally?) when it comes to wet conditions during the season regardless of who's tried the inters/wets so far. I reckon the teams would prefer plenty of dry weather, although a bit of rain wouldn't hurt I guess.

I'm pretty sure teams would like to have 1 or 2 wet test days, because otherwise first wet qual/race will be a lottery with no data and set-ups for new tyres.

Edited by Mastah, 15 February 2011 - 16:38.

#32 ktsayshi

ktsayshi

• 1,094 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 16:40

Drivers schedule (only confirmed by teams):

http://www.circuitca...ver_Line_UP.pdf

Mercedes tweets that Schumacher gets Friday/Monday and Rosberg gets Saturday/Sunday.

Edited by ktsayshi, 16 February 2011 - 16:41.

#33 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 17:00

I'm pretty sure teams would like to have 1 or 2 wet test days, because otherwise first wet qual/race will be a lottery with no data and set-ups for new tyres.

Wet races are usually lotteries anyway. Not that I disagree that the teams would like to get some running on them of course...

#34 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 17:19

I can't wait for Barcelona. The test days there will be a sperm race to the top of the time sheets. Sand bagging will no longer be a legitimate excuse for ones favourite team's under performance. No time can be wasted in the pits switching exhaust systems. Teams and drivers will need to find out where the car stands so we should witness quite a few qualification and race simulations this weekend.

#35 freya

freya

• 1,585 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 17:26

I can't wait for Barcelona. The test days there will be a sperm race to the top of the time sheets. Sand bagging will no longer be a legitimate excuse for ones favourite team's under performance. No time can be wasted in the pits switching exhaust systems. Teams and drivers will need to find out where the car stands so we should witness quite a few qualification and race simulations this weekend.

IIRC barcelona was the last test in 2010. Thus I doubt very much that we see any meaningful times this week. I doubt that any team can resist to go all out in bahrain test though.

#36 prty

prty

• 8,504 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 19:29

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

I think that zone might be the uphill chicane everyone cuts, so let's see how that works out.

#37 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:19

I'm packed and ready to fly out to Barcelona tomorrow. I cant post until I get back (which will be Tuesday and I have no idea what time I will get home). Any requests of what you want me to look out for?

#38 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:23

I'm packed and ready to fly out to Barcelona tomorrow. I cant post until I get back (which will be Tuesday and I have no idea what time I will get home). Any requests of what you want me to look out for?

The stability of cars whilst braking.

#39 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:26

yep. Please look out for as many parties as you can go to. :) We all envy you. Have a good time. Maybe take some pictures if you have the opportunity.

Edited by Szoelloe, 16 February 2011 - 22:27.

Advertisement

#40 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,597 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:28

Who's the fastest :p

#41 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 32,277 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:34

Au contraire, I'd suggest the stability of cars under acceleration being a good indicator of the treatment of the rear Pirellis that could be the single biggest determinant of performance.

#42 gio66

gio66

• 1,431 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:36

Any requests of what you want me to look out for?

Please, bring my greetings to Bruno by his Italian supporter Giovanni (pron. Jo-van-nee).

Edited by gio66, 16 February 2011 - 22:40.

#43 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:48

That is one of the one things I will be looking out for.

#44 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:56

Mandzipop I am sooooooooooooo jealous of you!

Hope you have a great time, give my regards to Schumi ;)

#45 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:57

Please, bring my greetings to Bruno by his Italian supporter Giovanni (pron. Jo-van-nee).

If we get the paddock access then I promise I will. I think he'll be fine with us talking to him. He gave us a nice interview last year (check my sig to find it). It is not just a fun trip, it is a work trip too.

#46 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 22:59

Mandzipop I am sooooooooooooo jealous of you!

Hope you have a great time, give my regards to Schumi ;)

Will do, I'm going to have to start making a list.

Seb sig for Josie,
Hello to Bruno from Giovanni.
Regards to Schumi from longtimefan

#47 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 23:37

Will do, I'm going to have to start making a list.

Seb sig for Josie,
Hello to Bruno from Giovanni.
Regards to Schumi from longtimefan

Steal some tenths from the bulls, please :p

#48 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,146 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 00:09

I think that might be a bit too much out of our reach, unless we get some pics up close and personal with the RB7 that Ferrari haven't got (which I doubt).

#49 r4mses

r4mses

• 2,373 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 00:14

...and hand them to Mercedes so we get 4 teams on the same level and MSC fighting for wins :D

#50 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,418 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 00:16

See how early each car gets on the power, best corners for this are turns three, four and nine (the quick right before the backstraight). Usually a good indicator :)