Photo

Exhaust over-run ban discussion (merged)

• Please log in to reply
3514 replies to this topic

#1 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:32

EDIT: Confirmed. Full story here: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/91475

Just heard something about no blowing of exhaust gasses in qualy. Not sure what that was about. But either way I think McLaren are in for a better qualifying performance this weekend.

Here's the tweet:
"@TheRealSimonB Qualifying will be interesting this weekend!...No blowing of exhaust gasses. #F1"

He is supposedly the Team Leader/Production engineer for McLaren F1.

I think this could mean a stop to the ******** ignition in qualifying which has made the diffusers much more efficient off throttle. The could be an attempt to mix up qualifying and race performance, as well as keep the engines on an equal platform as it has been speculated the Renault engine is particularly good at this feature. Something to keep an eye on anyway.

Edited by OwenC93, 17 May 2011 - 16:15.

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:34

Just heard something about no blowing of exhaust gasses in qualy. Not sure what that was about. But either way I think we are in for a better qualifying performance this weekend.

Heard what where?

#3 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:49

Heard what where?

It was on twitter and the idea seems impossible to police. So don't get your hopes up lol.

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:01

It was on twitter and the idea seems impossible to police. So don't get your hopes up lol.

I havent got a clue what you are talking about so how can I get my hopes up?

#5 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 08:14

Just heard something about no blowing of exhaust gasses in qualy. Not sure what that was about. But either way I think we are in for a better qualifying performance this weekend.

Posted Image

#6 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:26

explain yourself or just copy/paste so we can work it out ourselves haha 'i heard something on twitter' sounds like a crap book.

#7 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:45

Heard what where?

It may be a joke too. Or expressing something what he [the engineer] can't explain/reveal, because it's confidental information.

The source is a McLaren production engineer. I won't specify the name, because he'll end up as Andy on Twitter.

Edited by hunnylander, 17 May 2011 - 11:45.

#8 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:50

It may be a joke too. Or expressing something what he [the engineer] can't explain/reveal, because it's confidental information.

The source is a McLaren production engineer. I won't specify the name, because he'll end up as Andy on Twitter.

Provide a link to the posting, or paste what was said here so that the rest of us can see it.

#9 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:00

Provide a link to the posting, or paste what was said here so that the rest of us can see it.

Qualifying will be interesting this weekend!...No blowing of exhaust gasses. #F1

For questions seeking explanation on the above he gave short averting answers which don't reveal how he meant 'no blowing'. That's all!

Edited by hunnylander, 17 May 2011 - 12:00.

#10 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:13

Qualifying will be interesting this weekend!...No blowing of exhaust gasses. #F1

For questions seeking explanation on the above he gave short averting answers which don't reveal how he meant 'no blowing'. That's all!

What's the tweeters name?

#11 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:16

Just read some more. Apparently no teams will be allowed to blow exhaust gases. I wonder if the FIA have changed the rules because it means using more fuel, not exactly green...who knows, v interesting though.

#12 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:20

Just read some more. Apparently no teams will be allowed to blow exhaust gases. I wonder if the FIA have changed the rules because it means using more fuel, not exactly green...who knows, v interesting though.

That would be a pretty major change for all teams, not exactly in line with costs savings.

#13 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:20

Mclaren engineer announced on twitter @Realsimonb that there will be no blowing off exhaust gases allowed off throttle this weekend. Thoughts?

#14 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:21

That would be a pretty major change for all teams, not exactly in line with costs savings.

What? To switch back to old engine mapping?

Also, it's not about cost saving, it's about environmental credentials. Burning more fuel = bad in the eyes of many.

#15 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:21

Explanation?

#16 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:22

Mclaren engineer announced on twitter @Realsimonb that there will be no blowing off exhaust gases allowed off throttle this weekend. Thoughts?

Very doubtful. I don't see how this will happen.

#17 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:23

Also, it's not about cost saving, it's about environmental credentials. Burning more fuel = bad in the eyes of many.

It would require a redesign of the exhaust and quite likely need work on the rear aero as well.

#18 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:24

Strange that there's been no official confirmation yet. if true.

#19 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:26

Explanation?

Comes from comments by Team Leader - Production Engineer Mclaren Racing @RealsimonB on twitter.

It seems that he genuinely is a member of Mclaren production team and states that the ruling has come from Charlie Whiting. Details seem sketchy at the moment as I'm getting it from his tweets - he says it's yet to break in the press. Watch this space I guess.

Advertisement

#20 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Yes, if they suddenly disallow it, then all diffuser designed around the concept of EBD will lose tremendous amount of efficiency, me thinks.

#21 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

It would require a redesign of the exhaust and quite likely need work on the rear aero as well.

Which would be a nightmare considering most teams will rock up at Spain with heavily modified floors and exhausts to take advantage of the blown floor concept. On the Renault car for example it's a key part of the car's design.

#22 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:27

Will it affect Ferrari?

#23 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:28

Will it affect Ferrari?

what do you mean? do they have some sort of new part or something?

#24 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:29

It will effect every team with a EBD.

#25 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:29

Yes, if they suddenly disallow it, then all diffuser designed around the concept of EBD will lose tremendous amount of efficiency, me thinks.

It wouldn't be the first time thinks have changed mid-season. But we'll see what crops up in the next couple of days - most stories of significance break now on twitter first so maybe we shouldn't be so quick to discount it.

#26 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:30

If this is true, that is quite a drastic change surely (for everyone). :confused:

#27 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

This will put cars with FEE in good position. There is rumour for MGP doing FEE. But, even without it they didn't use EBD.

Edited by ivand911, 17 May 2011 - 12:31.

#28 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

It will effect every team with a EBD.

Yeah, remember how skittish the mclaren was when they bolted on the EBD in silverstone with no exhaust run off - whenever they came off throttle the rear end was lively to say the least!

#29 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Since no one else has mentioned itm, can I ask WHY?

#30 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:32

Since no one else has mentioned itm, can I ask WHY?

One possible reason is that it isn't very green...carrying 10% extra fuel so they can have better traction...

It does seem strange though to introduce the rule like this. I guess we'll find out in the next few days.

#31 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:32

The tweet seems to have been deleted? :confused:

#32 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:33

http://twitter.com/#!/search/Realsimonb

#33 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:34

what do you mean? do they have some sort of new part or something?

It means: Will it affect Ferrari?

#34 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:35

One possible reason is that it isn't very green...carrying 10% extra fuel so they can have better traction...

It does seem strange though to introduce the rule like this. I guess we'll find out in the next few days.

They are always keen on reducing cornering speeds. Anyone like to take a punt on who this may effect the worst? Renault maybe?

#35 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:37

The tweet seems to have been deleted? :confused:

Yes, I think so. It was joke maybe(for sure). To many cappuccinos can do that.

Edited by ivand911, 17 May 2011 - 12:37.

#36 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 8,803 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:38

It means: Will it affect Ferrari?

i mean, like how?

surely it will affect all the teams, but since you just said Ferrari, i was just asking if they have something different to the other teams.

thats all.

#37 Owen

Owen

• 13,178 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:38

Yes, I think so. It was joke maybe(for sure). To many cappuccinos can do that.

mmmm :well:

#38 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:40

IF this comes out to be true, then one reason may be that FIA has found some illegality. Like the TMD of Renault which eas banned midseason (although the reasoning then was strange to say the least).

#39 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:41

If this rumour is true and the reason is because that it isn't very 'green', can I politely point out that it would be the most sh!t reason ever?

Advertisement

#40 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:43

mmmm :well:

RealSimonB Simon B
@andydaniell I'm assuming it hasn't reached the press yet!
45 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Simon B
RealSimonB Simon B
@DarrelCooper44 Charlie whiting...
3 hours ago
Simon B
RealSimonB Simon B@
@andydaniell everyone!
3 hours ago

You can look at @andydaniell for other bits of the conversation - the exhaust gas mention was gone before I could copy the above.

Could all be nonsense of course! We'll see.

#41 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

How come such major change could be introduced ? Or perhaps, if this whole rumor is true - what's so bad about it ? Looks like the engineers are not allowed to be clever anymore, because some of the teams cannot afford it or it's not env. friendly ? Please, give me a break.
If team A decides that the risk of overheating the engine with aggressive maps is OK, go for it.
But I guess that's enough words for something found on Twitter, where anyone can be someone.

#42 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Woah sorry guys, I had to go to school and didn't realise it would blow up like this. Yes the tweet was from @RealSimonB , a McLaren employee.

Here's his latest:
"@andydaniell I'm assuming it hasn't reached the press yet!"

And it's for all teams, with the rule imposed by Charlie Whiting.

Now lets get practical with it, I'm not sure how they can police this and force engine maps that don't blow more gasses than they should, I assume he has made a deal with the engine manufacturers to at least stop it off throttle. You'd think it would be announced by now though.

#43 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:44

I don't understand why they'd be motivated to ban it, the fuel burn issue is known to a few people on a BB whore read the thread about Renault engine consumption. It's hardly *the* story affecting F1 in the early season.

Though if it is, bizarrely, true it won't be that big a deal. The cars/exhausts/etc will still work fine if they can't accelerate the exhaust off-throttle. They just won't make as much downforce.

But again, why would you legislate engine maps? Or has someone managed to turn it into a form of TC?

#44 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:44

This is big news if it has any basis.

#45 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:46

Woah sorry guys, I had to go to school and didn't realise it would blow up like this. Yes the tweet was from @RealSimonB , a McLaren employee.

Here's his latest:
"@andydaniell I'm assuming it hasn't reached the press yet!"

And it's for all teams, with the rule imposed by Charlie Whiting.

Now lets get practical with it, I'm not sure how they can police this and force engine maps that don't blow more gasses than they should, I assume he has made a deal with the engine manufacturers to at least stop it off throttle. You'd think it would be announced by now though.

Policing it is simple as everything goes via the ECU. I don't believe it would just be as simple as changing the engine mapping.

#46 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:46

This is big news if it has any basis.

Big IF, I'm starting to think!

#47 SpeedRacer`

SpeedRacer`

• 1,429 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:48

This has to be bollocks. What do you mean "no" exhaust gasses? They can't be stopped!! It's a fundamental concept of many car designs that the exhaust gasses are released further forward. To change the position of the exhaust would require a complete redesign, something which is barely feasible over the course of a season let alone 4 days!!

Perhaps something more realistic would be "no exhaust gasses when the drivers are off throttle" which they could presumably check via the engine maps and telemetry.

But such a regulation would be a disaster, remember this concept was tried in the late eighties and rejected because of inconsistent downforce levels.

#48 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:49

Policing it is simple as everything goes via the ECU. I don't believe it would just be as simple as changing the engine mapping.

Yes but there are plenty of arguments as to why an engine creates more gas than normal. I think they could probably stop the ******** ignition though.

#49 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

This has to be bollocks. What do you mean "no" exhaust gasses? They can't be stopped!! It's a fundamental concept of many car designs that the exhaust gasses are released further forward. To change the position of the exhaust would require a complete redesign, something which is barely feasible over the course of a season let alone 4 days!!

Perhaps something more realistic would be "no exhaust gasses when the drivers are off throttle" which they could presumably check via the engine maps and telemetry.

But such a regulation would be a disaster, remember this concept was tried in the late eighties and rejected because of inconsistent downforce levels.

This is exactly what was being implied.

#50 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

If it is because of "Green", I will be a bit miffed to be fair. Like who even knows outside of the few, that it does need 10% extra fuel?