Photo

Fabbri Ferrari F1 collection

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Lethbridge

Tony Lethbridge

• 143 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 14:12

Does anyone know of a source for the Fabbri Ixo Ferrari collection? These are 1.43 scale models from the IXO La Storia range which I understand were available with magazines on the continent. Several of the models are not yet available in the La Storia collection while others, such as Fangio's 1949 Team Equipo Argentino 166 and Ascari's similar ThinWall Special, do not feature in the LS list. So far I have managed to purchase three models via e-bay, but have been unable to track down an outlet or dealer who can supply me direct. Any information would be much appreciated.

Advertisement

#2 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 17:47

Hi,
Fabbri sells basically in Italy, normally if you puchase it in a quioske there it comes with a small booklet with some description of the history of the car. The same as with me I bought a few of them on Ebay.
This site has a listing of what they produced:
http://cp43.over-blo...rie-437863.html
This is the italian version of the spanish Altaya; the french Atlas or Altaya, or the italian Hacette.
I hope this helps...

#3 Tony Lethbridge

Tony Lethbridge

• 143 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 15:45

Thanks Antonio, this is useful. There are several models in the series which I would like to add to my Ferrari collection. I guess I must keep on searching the various e-bay threads.

Cheers

Tony

#4 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 23:04

Tony, I bought one of these La Storia models. Surtees' German G.P. winner from 1963. It is positively HUGE alongside the Brumm equivalent and the Spark models I have from that era.

#5 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 13:14

Tony, I bought one of these La Storia models. Surtees' German G.P. winner from 1963. It is positively HUGE alongside the Brumm equivalent and the Spark models I have from that era.

Would that be anything to do with the question asked earlier in a related thread about the metric equivalent to 1:43rd? :rotfl:

#6 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 14:54

Could be, Mal, could be.

Anyway, here is the comparison:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know the 1963 car was a space framer while IIRC the 1964 was a semimonocoqye, but look at the tyre sizes...

Posted Image

#7 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 14:54

Could be, Mal, could be.

Anyway, here is the comparison:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know the 1963 car was a space framer while IIRC the 1964 was a semi monocoque, but look at the tyre sizes...

Posted Image

Edited by Barry Boor, 08 June 2011 - 14:55.

#8 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,508 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 18:52

Wasn't 1964 the year Dunlop produced 13in tyres?

However, I also thought that the 1963 German Grand Prix was the first time Ferrari used bolt-on wheels.

#9 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 19:08

As opposed to bolt-on wanderers?

#10 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 21:40

Hi Barry
I also have some Ferrari F1 (1950-2000) and if you compare the 156 Aero with the 156 then the difference is not as big, see picture:

Posted Image

On the left is the 156 (Brumm), in the center is the 156 Aero (Ixo SF 03 "La Storia") and on the right is the 158 (Brumm). The 158 had auminiuml panels with double wall riveted to a tubular steel structure .

I hope this helps
Regards
AN

Edited by Tonecas, 08 June 2011 - 21:44.

#11 Tony Lethbridge

Tony Lethbridge

• 143 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:55

Barry and Mal. My apologies for taking so long to join this debate but I have been away for a few weeks. I agree that there seem to be massive differences in scale between various manufacturers and in some cases models produced by the same manufacturer. The Brumm Ferrari type 375, 500, and 156 sharknose are all bigger that the IXO/Quartzo versions, while I totally agree that the IXO Surtees car is much larger than the Brumm cars of that era. The Brumm sharknose is, in my view, out of scale compared with their more recent 1.5 litre F1 cars. Then again my Models of Yesteryear ERAs ( all 24 of them) have to be kept in a separate case as they don't fit in with anything else, although I'm not sure what scale they are supposed to be.

As regards the Fabbri Ferrari collection I have now been lucky enough to pick up a few on ebay, namely Fangio 's 125 in Argentine colours of blue and yellow, and a similar Thinwall Special in BRG driven by Ascari in the 1949 International Trophy at Silverstone. I have also discovered a friendly French dealer from whom I am currently awaiting a further seven models including Merzario's 1973 car and the rare F1/86 of Stefan Johansson, all of which are priced at less than £15 each. Even with p&p they a great deal less than the cost of a current La Storia.

#12 man

man

• 1,526 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:34

Re Fabbri. I have the Johansson F1-86 model, a car that to my knowledge that was not done by any model maker accept tameo - so nice to have it. I find the way how Fabbri/IXO make their tyre/wheel rims a little strange. There is no inside sidewall to the tyre!

The 312 T3 made by hotwheels is absolutley tiny.

#13 cscm1

cscm1

• 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 15:03

Regarding the Fabbri models: the F1 collection consisted of 51 (!) models in the full series. These were only available in Italy.

The 'Ferrari Racing Collection' (sports cars) had 70 models in the full set.

I bought a full set of both these collections from a contact in Italy. Some are available still through Ebay sights. The quality is superior to Brumm and Quartzo and on a par with Mattel/Minichamps.

The Merzario 312B3 is a particular difficult one to find it seems. (Although I do have one).

Try sights on "Ebay.it" - the models from both collections are always appearing on it.

Edited by cscm1, 14 April 2015 - 15:04.

#14 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 19:33

The Ferrari Collection was also released in Australia from 2011 to 2014. They released 84 models, so this was probably a combination of the 'F1' collection and 'Racing' collections mentioned above.

There is a 71 page thread on the Biante Forum (Biante were once the main he  to 2014. Australian wholesaler for Spark, Minichamps and iXO) with loads of details :

http://forums.biante...rari-Collection

For missing models, try eBay Australia - www.eBay.com.au

#15 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 344 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 15:53

With apologies for resurrecting this thread, I have a question about the 126C2 from IXO/Fabbri/La Storia. I have the chance to buy one for a very low price, but I'm wondering if it's not best to wait, save a bit more and get a Brumm instead. How does the IXO compare with the Brumm hands-on? I'm mostly a book buyer but would like eventually to get a nice Villeneuve model for my shelves. Best wishes and thanks in advance.

#16 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 16:35

Brumms used to be the cheapest of them all. Are they not any more?

#17 guiporsche

guiporsche

• 344 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 17:38

I believe that second-hand, they are at least 20 to 40€ more expensive, depending on the model. There are plenty of these Ixo around (at least the casting) compared to the Brumms, given Altaya /Fabbri/RBA keep releasing them regularly in different liveries for Ferrari and F1 collections. I managed to find one under the 10€ from a local seller, shipping included, but I do not like to buy fluff when space is at a premium and there are good books to be had. Ten years ago I would have bought it immediately but as I get older, I'm getting pickier...

Hence my question. The Brumm clearly has better decals and seems to be more detailed and well-proportioned, but it's one thing to look at pictures and another to look at the real things.

Edited by guiporsche, 03 May 2019 - 17:40.

#18 Jager

Jager

• 443 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:56

Depending where you live, for a bit more money you can also get a Minichamps version of the 126 C2. I'd be inclined to go without a few pints or coffees and pay a bit extra to get the Minichamps version:

https://www.ebay.co....XkAAOSw6ttczF7n