Photo

TV / 3G /wifi reception at silverstone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ultrapro

ultrapro

• 255 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 18:16

Does anyone know what sort of data reception is available at Silverstone? We went for the first time last year armed with a laptop and freeview tv card hoping to be able to pick up bbc's coverage but found we were unable to pick anything up. Is it so remote that it's a blackspot. Would analogue TV be any better? I don't think we were able to get any 3G reception either. Has anyone had any success with data connections through their phones for live timing?

Advertisement

#2 Whoosh

Whoosh

• 12 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 19:07

Does anyone know what sort of data reception is available at Silverstone? We went for the first time last year armed with a laptop and freeview tv card hoping to be able to pick up bbc's coverage but found we were unable to pick anything up. Is it so remote that it's a blackspot. Would analogue TV be any better? I don't think we were able to get any 3G reception either. Has anyone had any success with data connections through their phones for live timing?

No 3G ): So my cunning plan of buying a new iphone for work has backfired. Tell me it isnt so. I thought with all of the Vodafone sponsorship going on that there would be some kind of micro 3G cell...

#3 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 19:11

I've never had a problem receiving data through a 3G connection via Vodafone.

#4 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 12:23

Is there a charging point for your phones over the weekend? I know at festivals the networks sometimes have places you can charge up, kind of makes sense with vodafone sponsoring mclaren...

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,726 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 15:38

Is there a charging point for your phones over the weekend? I know at festivals the networks sometimes have places you can charge up, kind of makes sense with vodafone sponsoring mclaren...

None that I know of.

#6 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 21:18

See, that's what any forward thinking mobile telecommunications company would offer on their various stands dotted around the circuit. But not Vodafone, oh no.

#7 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 21:19

Not sure. If you have your car over the weekend, then buy a cheap in car charger from a well know auction site. My iPhone one cost £2. Works fine

I'm with o2 and had get full 3G coverage. So I'd imagine it would be the same for all networks.

#8 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 20:15

See, that's what any forward thinking mobile telecommunications company would offer on their various stands dotted around the circuit. But not Vodafone, oh no.

there used to be when orange sponsered arrows years ago and it was free, but i know in this day and age you would think that someting would be available

#9 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:19

WiFi is absolutely rubbish at Silverstone. :mad: It means that I can't actually upload any pictures I take straight away unless I am in in the (old) Press Office which is closed at most events. Mobile phone signal can be a problem on race day because of the number of frequencies in use but I've never had a major problem with it.