Ferrari F2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16613 replies to this topic

#4451 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:19

Sky F1 News

Ferrari tell Sky Sports News that they are still confident their new car can deliver and deny that Fernando's table-topping time this morning was set on 'a glory run'

So, in other words: It was a glory run.

Advertisement

#4452 Massa

Massa

• 7,481 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:25

Yeah, glory runs with a set of tyre who had already ten laps.

#4453 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:25

I don't believe so. I think it's just the natural progression of the programme. Surely they were & are working hard in the paddock & Maranello to work with set ups.

#4454 NJB13

NJB13

• 157 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:26

If it was then it show how little we know about doing a glory run - first thing in the morning, cold track, no rubber and that's when we choose to do a glory run? We seriously need to go get some "GR" pointers from Williams

#4455 Flamini

Flamini

• 982 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:26

Anyway it looks better than yesterday. Probably Ferrari are not 2 seconds behind Lotus, RB and McLaren :p

#4456 HPT

HPT

• 1,546 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:27

Ok, mind-reader.

#4457 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:27

Yes it was. Maximum performance fuel mix, new set of softs, ride height lowered and most of all fuel for approximately 10 laps.

I have this info on good authority, Pat Fry popped in for a visit during my day dream.

#4458 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:29

I am confident about 2012. And i think that Ferrari should show their true potential starting in australia and not before that.

#4459 medeni73

medeni73

• 505 posts

I think the team shouldnt try to explain anything to anyone (not to the press nor to the public), they should concentrate on their program and let others guessing whats going on...

Advertisement

#4460 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Anyway it looks better than yesterday. Probably Ferrari are not 2 seconds behind Lotus, RB and McLaren :p

Lotus? Do people seriously believe that they are as quick as Ferrari or Red Bull or McLaren?

#4461 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,649 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:30

If it was then it show how little we know about doing a glory run - first thing in the morning, cold track, no rubber and that's when we choose to do a glory run? We seriously need to go get some "GR" pointers from Williams

No rubber? It has not fell a single drop of water since many days.
Plus all the good times in Jerez are being driven when it's cold, because of the engines and because of the abrasive nature of the tarmac

#4462 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:34

I think the team shouldnt try to explain anything to anyone (not to the press nor to the public), they should concentrate on their program and let others guessing whats going on...

:wave: :up: :up:

#4463 OBELIKS

OBELIKS

• 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35

Ah, not only new set of softs, it was super super softs, made only for Ferrari. Just look at the times, after a couple of laps tires were gone. :rolleyes:
Some people must really be afraid of F2012.

#4464 muelte

muelte

• 779 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:35

I was yesterday at Jerez, and could watch what could be a B-Spec of F2012, called codename 'F210' as can be seen on the 'roll hoop'

Posted Image

Just a bit of humour :)

My impressions from yesterday on track: Ferrari handling looked different on almost every run they did, most of times it looked a bit sluggish, but on other stints it looked well planted.

Cars that looked better were the Lotus, followed by Toro Rosso & RedBull. McLaren didn't look so great, similar to Ferrari, maybe a bit better but also with different behaviours...

Best regards!

Edited by muelte, 10 February 2012 - 10:37.

#4465 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:40

I was yesterday at Jerez, and could watch what could be a B-Spec of F2012, called codename 'F210' as can be seen on the 'roll hoop'

Posted Image

Just a bit of humour :)

My impressions from yesterday on track: Ferrari handling looked different on almost every run they did, most of times it looked a bit sluggish, but on other stints it looked well planted.

Cars that looked better were the Lotus, followed by Toro Rosso & RedBull. McLaren didn't look so great, similar to Ferrari, maybe a bit better but also with different behaviours...

Best regards!

This is what I don't get. According to some observers McLaren handles like it is on rails as with Red Bull...

I will wait for a driver (like Heidfeld last year) to put things into perspective.

#4466 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,654 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:42

gotta love this thread, if they do slow times its because the car sucks, if they do a fast time its because they did a glory run, :drunk:

cant win here

each day that passes they seem to get better, that is all i can ask for right now

#4467 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:45

gotta love this thread, if they do slow times its because the car sucks, if they do a fast time its because they did a glory run, :drunk:

cant win here

each day that passes they seem to get better, that is all i can ask for right now

Yep. We have a hydraulic problem, and we're lying about good reliability. RB have electrical problem, and things like that just happen. It's funny. Yes we're getting better every day. :up:

#4468 muelte

muelte

• 779 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:45

This is what I don't get. According to some observers McLaren handles like it is on rails as with Red Bull...

I will wait for a driver (like Heidfeld last year) to put things into perspective.

Well, it didn't look bad, in fact it looked a bit better than Ferrari, but I saw Lewis locking tyres more times than all the other drivers together, and didn't look very good on the chicane... Of course, it means nothing as we are talking of tests, so different setups & everything else applies.

Regards!

Edited by muelte, 10 February 2012 - 10:47.

#4469 freya

freya

• 1,585 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:48

Times don't matter, slow or fast. 6 weeks to go!

#4470 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:48

That's the problem with the trackside observations: Nobody watches the cars all day and tells us about differences through the day. We know from Fry that the Ferrari is configured differently on nearly every run, and I'm sure the same goes for the other big teams. So if one observer says the car looks al over the place and the other says it looks on rails, this does not necessarily mean that either observer is full of ****, it may just means that they saw the car at different times and at different parts of the track.

#4471 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:50

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4472 maverick69

maverick69

• 5,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:52

That's the problem with the trackside observations: Nobody watches the cars all day and tells us about differences through the day. We know from Fry that the Ferrari is configured differently on nearly every run, and I'm sure the same goes for the other big teams. So if one observer says the car looks al over the place and the other says it looks on rails, this does not necessarily mean that either observer is full of ****, it may just means that they saw the car at different times and at different parts of the track.

It also depends on the driver. Hamilton, for example, is rather flamboyant. He always locks up a lot and likes to have the car on edge - even when he's driving a "good-un". Vettel is the opposite, like Button. Fred is somewhere in between etc. etc.

#4473 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,350 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:52

Soundbites from rent-a-quotes on how the car holds the track (when it is out almost every lap in a different config for data collection and calibration purposes) are irrelevant.

That would be like analysing my race sim driving when the wheel isn't even calibrated.

Everyone stay calm. When the team works methodically like this without searching for speed, it means they are confident. I really think we have a title winning 1-2 finish type car.

#4474 madrocker

madrocker

• 122 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:53

Guys, for what it is worth, Joseluisf1 reported that the Ferrari had handling/balance problems AND that a 'new' floor supposedly fixed these, quite a bit before testing while they were testing the car at the simulator.

Edited by madrocker, 10 February 2012 - 10:54.

#4475 Showty

Showty

• 1,636 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:53

It´s been an 1 hour in pits already, let´s see when Fernando comes out again.

#4476 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:58

It´s been an 1 hour in pits already, let´s see when Fernando comes out again.

10:55 Alonso pulled out of his pits and then ground to a halt :cry:

11:02 @InsideFerrari: We're working on the car to make some changes and fix some issues. It will take some more time before Fernando will be back on track.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 10 February 2012 - 11:04.

#4477 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:03

InsideFerrari Scuderia Ferrari
We're working on the car to make some changes and fix some issues. It will take some more time before Fernando will be back on track.

#4478 Showty

Showty

• 1,636 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:03

10:55 Alonso pulled out of his pits and then ground to a halt :cry:

http://twitter.com/insideferrari

We're working on the car to make some changes and fix some issues. It will take some more time before Fernando will be back on track.

#4479 OneAndOnly

OneAndOnly

• 742 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:12

Best regards!

If this bolded part is true then it is very interesting. Maybe Ferrari adopted testing philosophy from Macca via Pat Fry. Hamilton saying Ferrari will be fast also might give some credits to that. He knows how much/little of true pace their program can show. Maybe I'm wrong but...

Advertisement

#4480 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:33

Even if the time is still meaningless, thanks to Ferrari for putting it in. At least it seems to have staved off the trolls for today.

#4481 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:38

Even if the time is still meaningless, thanks to Ferrari for putting it in. At least it seems to have staved off the trolls for today.

Just wait till the end of the day when Alonso and Fry say there is plenty more work to do. They will start reading between the lines and trying to convince others that what was said in plain english wasn't really meant to be taken literally.

I agree. The time is meaningless and it was not impressive all things considered.

#4482 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 4,253 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:39

I think 1.18 ish lap times are nothing special here i am sure with low fuel load and soft tyres low 1.17s can easily be achieved.

#4483 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:44

:up:

#4484 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:48

Everyone stay calm. When the team works methodically like this without searching for speed, it means they are confident. I really think we have a title winning 1-2 finish type car.

Indeed. I'm not that sure about the 1-2, as it's too early stage to make any type of call, but if there was a fundamental problem with the car, we would have seen totally new car tested.
Some fast laps delivered, valuable data collected, move on to the next item on the list. It kinda reminds me of the software building process, from the ground up: start on a platform, test in isolation, develop, test, collect, compare, replace, test, into production.
This is a normal approach when you are breaking with your past.

P.S. I'm totally unconcerned about reliability. It has been more than solid in the last few years. Components don't change that much, so smaller steps are more easily identifiable.

Edited by kvarbanov, 10 February 2012 - 11:51.

#4485 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:57

Ferrari: A work in progress

And while Fry's words raised concerns with many a Ferrari fan, head of communications Luca Colajanni insists there is nothing to worry about as proven by Fernando Alonso's best lap time after the first two hours of Friday morning - a 1:18.877.

"We said yesterday we don't look at the stopwatch now because it's a work in progress and we don't look at the stopwatch now because we have done one second less than yesterday," he told Rachel Brookes on Sky Sports News. "Nothing has changed."

Asked whether fans should be "reassured" by Alonso's time, he added: "We believe there is a lot of potential in the car.

Pressed as to whether there was 'no cause for concern' in light of the 1:18.877, Colajanni said: "I am old enough to know that it means nothing to be the fastest person in the test. It doesn't give any points, any pole positions.

#4486 xtremespeedjunkie

xtremespeedjunkie

• 293 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:00

I am a Mclaren fan here but i could not resist saying something. Just had to clear my chest.

Ferrari is a top top team and people including Journos and armchair experts around here writing the obituary of the new car after a three days of testing was hilarious. Ferrari have taken a revolutionary approach to their new car and it will take them plenty of time to put all the pieces together. Alonso has produced a really quick lap on a 8 lap stint which is nice to see but there is still time in the car and i am sure Ferrari themselves have no idea exactly how much more pace they can extract out of the car. I am not saying Ferrari can turn out to be the car to beat this season but i am 100% sure they will be there and thereabouts this season taking the fight to Mclaren and Red-Bull. I mean f1 cars are such complex machines that they work only in such a small window. To find that window is not so easy and it takes a lot of effort, time and a proper plan. As a Mclaren fan i want MP4-27 to be the fastest machine out there by a second but how realistic is that. The neutral in me says we need the top three cars to be within a couple of tenths of each other so that we can see the battle go to the wire. Ferrari may be our fiercest rivals but i have a lot of respect for whaat they have given to formula-1. Mclaren and Ferrari are the legendary outfits of F1 and some diligence should be displayed before dismissing them or their car after three test days. we need both Ferrari and Mclaren to be competitive to dislodge Vettel off his perch.

#4487 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:02

I am a Mclaren fan here but i could not resist saying something. Just had to clear my chest.

Ferrari is a top top team and people including Journos and armchair experts around here writing the obituary of the new car after a three days of testing was hilarious. Ferrari have taken a revolutionary approach to their new car and it will take them plenty of time to put all the pieces together. Alonso has produced a really quick lap on a 8 lap stint which is nice to see but there is still time in the car and i am sure Ferrari themselves have no idea exactly how much more pace they can extract out of the car. I am not saying Ferrari can turn out to be the car to beat this season but i am 100% sure they will be there and thereabouts this season taking the fight to Mclaren and Red-Bull. I mean f1 cars are such complex machines that they work only in such a small window. To find that window is not so easy and it takes a lot of effort, time and a proper plan. As a Mclaren fan i want MP4-27 to be the fastest machine out there by a second but how realistic is that. The neutral in me says we need the top three cars to be within a couple of tenths of each other so that we can see the battle go to the wire. Ferrari may be our fiercest rivals but i have a lot of respect for whaat they have given to formula-1. Mclaren and Ferrari are the legendary outfits of F1 and some diligence should be displayed before dismissing them or their car after three test days. we need both Ferrari and Mclaren to be competitive to dislodge Vettel off his perch.

+1 :up:

#4488 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 1,738 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:05

IMHO the era of dominance car with many 1-2 in row is end. Last year RB did all the poles but made few 1-2. I expect another close championship as 2010, maybe with more teams able to win.

#4489 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:11

Ferrari: A work in progress

"Unlocked potential"?
:smoking:

Asked whether fans should be "reassured" by Alonso's time, he added: "We believe there is a lot of potential in the car.

"There is a lot of work to do. The concept is new, the car is brand new... so it needs a lot of fine-tuning. This session of four days is aimed at that work.

Ferrari won last year's Winter Cup and it got them nowhere,so if I was a SF fan I'd be happy they've changed the platform.
There are how many more days of testing left?
Exactly!

These threads have a tendency of producing fools come race1.

My job is done here,like I said Ferrari will be fine! [Grabbing popcorn anyway]

#4490 aray

aray

• 4,158 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:13

why used soft tyre today,after saying that they won't..?!...they really don't need to prove anything to anybody at this stage....

#4491 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:14

That was probably the point. All the media were reporting badly on Ferrari so they decided to to something against it.

#4492 Showty

Showty

• 1,636 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:16

why used soft tyre today,after saying that they won't..?!...they really don't need to prove anything to anybody at this stage....

Did they say that?

They said they won´t make low fuel runs, i don´t remember saying they won´t use softs.

#4493 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Alonso yesterday

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 10 February 2012 - 13:04.

#4494 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,079 posts

Where did they say they will use only the hard tyre? I must have missed that...

#4495 Showty

Showty

• 1,636 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:25

2h and a half fixing some issues, i guess it has to be something a bit serious.

Let´s hope for an after lunch session free of problems, hopefully Fernando can achieve something like 80 laps.

#4496 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,407 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:35

Going ahead and breaking this out for the afternoon. We all know they're going to come in. Thanks Maverick69

Posted Image

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Edited by CrucialXtreme, 10 February 2012 - 12:35.

#4497 tweiss

tweiss

• 447 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:37

:up: :up: :up:

#4498 medeni73

medeni73

• 505 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:38

Some drivers tried to use hard tires on such a cold track and went crashing... With such low temperatures you need good grip...

#4499 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 10,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:39

At least we can point to RBR's totally wasted day :p

Advertisement

#4500 Clatter

Clatter

• 35,882 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:47

2h and a half fixing some issues, i guess it has to be something a bit serious.

Let´s hope for an after lunch session free of problems, hopefully Fernando can achieve something like 80 laps.

Depends what you mean by serious. It could be a simple component, but getting to it might mean removing a lot of other stuff.