• 1,155 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:08

Yes 2013 Red Bull..

#3 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 8,963 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:08

I'll believe it when it's officially confirmed.

#4 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:14

Why would Kimi want to return to a team that are in such trouble ? He doesn't strike me as the type.

#5 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 25,149 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:16

I suspect he's there because Coughlan is there, likewise Schumacher is only at Mercedes because Brawn is there and Trulli at Lotus due to Gascoyne.

#6 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:18

Kimi has a knack of going to teams who I like the least ...

#7 harrows

harrows

• 980 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:22

I hope it's not true because he can't do much in a contemporary williams. But maybe he wants to get familiar with f1 again in anticipation of a bigger move in 2013...

#8 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 909 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:23

6 world champions on the grid next year? Why not?

#9 BRK

BRK

• 5,017 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:23

Interesting. I said this on the live forum, but I think it would be good to have Raikkonen back and driving a Williams-Renault. Williams have got nothing to lose, though I'm not sure if it's a good move from KR's POV.

Also, 6 world champs on the grid would be something.

#10 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 6,940 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:24

Why would Kimi want to return to a team that are in such trouble ? He doesn't strike me as the type.

What trouble? No trouble. They just suck.

#11 OSX

OSX

• 4,873 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:26

Is a separate topic really needed at this point...?

#12 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:27

IMO :smoking:

Kimi to Williams in Rubens place.

Rubens to Lotus Caterham in Jarnos spot.

#13 TheNewStig

TheNewStig

• 557 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:28

F1 with Kimi is much more exiting.
Even if he is in a average Wiliams it will be good to see him back.
But there has also been rumours before with Renault,Red Bull,Toyota,Ferrari McLaren,Red Bull again,Renault Again,Honda,McLaren again,Mercedes,Brawn and so on.....

#14 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 25,149 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:28

Rubens to Lotus Caterham in Jarnos spot.

Trulli has already been confirmed for 2012.

Edited by Disgrace, 23 September 2011 - 16:28.

#15 thuGG

thuGG

• 2,177 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:29

Please let it be true.

#16 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:29

German ams is thinking thats only a Williams trick......and its Sutil which is in negotiations......

#17 teejay

teejay

• 6,074 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:30

Who in Lotus was high enough to resign Jarno

#18 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:31

According to James Allen.

http://www.jamesalle...-with-williams/

Thoughts?

Good news. Kimi in form is a treat.

#19 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:32

Maybe he's thinking he can get Williams to build the car/team around him?

Would be nice to see KImi back in the sport but I hope he'll be the exciting Kimi we had in the early 00s and not the apathetic driver he became at Ferrari.

Having Kimi alongside Rubens would be nice pairing, but I doubt that's going to happen with all the money Maldonado is bringing to the team.

Advertisement

#20 spinster

spinster

• 618 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:33

German ams is thinking thats only a Williams trick......and its Sutil which is in negotiations......

James Allen is very good in these things...He's credible and I do believe that it's a done deal

#21 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:35

James Allen is very good in these things...He's credible and I do believe that it's a done deal

Yep. He's pretty poor at analysis, but his sources are credible and he wouldn't put this out there unless he had more than one pointing in the same direction.

#22 teejay

teejay

• 6,074 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:36

A German publication pushing a German driver.. crazy

#23 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,116 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:36

Merge it please. Don't want to jump all over the place.

#24 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:38

Good news. Kimi in form is a treat.

Yes. But going to Williams is the biggest mistake he is going to make in his career. It is going to end in tears. We'd be better served by the memories of his exploits from 2001-2009, rather than him dicing with Heikki and Jarno in the lower midfield. If he really wants to come to F1 better he try his luck in 2013 with McLaren or Renault or Red Bull.

#25 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:38

Kimi is extremely hard-headed about these things, which is how he ended up with a massive paypacket from Ferrari, twice, and why he refused to stay in Formula 1 with McLaren.

He'll be going there because of Coughlan, Somerville the car they can probably produce and Renault and Raikkonen will have been asking some serious questions about what they'll produce. Williams need to pull something out of the bag to survive. I would imagine it would only be a year's deal because he wants to see what the produce.

#26 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:42

What is this super ability of Coughlan and Sommerville that seems to have tickled Kimi pink that he wants to throw in his lot with Williams?

#27 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:46

Im sure it will be soon.

I hope this doesnt end like last year when someone at Renault talked too much and Kimi dropped.
But didnt someone said earlier today that Kimi's manager had told that there were no negotiations?

#28 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:47

What is this super ability of Coughlan and Sommerville that seems to have tickled Kimi pink that he wants to throw in his lot with Williams?

"Throwing in his lot"?

He's setting the stage for a McLaren or RBR switch down the road.

#29 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:49

If this is the case then it would be safe to expect some reasonably large improvements from Williams over the coming years, Kimi definitely wouldn't do this in any other event.

Of course, he is also a human being and is quite capable of changing his mind. Perhaps WRC didn't go to plan, his NASCAR view didn't really appeal to him and neither did Le Mans... So he's going back. It is entirely possible he's just had a change of heart.

#30 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:50

"Throwing in his lot"?

Then why didn't he do it in 2010 when he had the chance with McLaren? And, not to forget, McLaren have both Jenson and Lewis. Can't see them going for Kimi ignoring these gentlemen. Red Bull are comfy with Vettel and maybe Webber will sign up for another 1-year or Daniel will be placed alongside Vettel. It's not as if the teams are falling over each other in a mad rush to sign Kimi. He had the chance in 2010 and he spurned it. And, this coming from a staunch Kimi fan.

#31 OSX

OSX

• 4,873 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:50

Ditto.

#32 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:51

"Throwing in his lot"?

Also didn't think about this!
If he did reasonably well, he may get a seat if Lewis leaves to RB, making a perfect fit for Button/the team. Mega pace driver paired with the slightly less pacey but very consistent one.. Not a far reach from what they've got now really

#33 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:51

Well, chances are he is still in connection with red bull.

Maybe Red bull wasnt ready to sign him just like that, after happened to michael...
so MAYBE, just MAYBE they made a deal with williams, kimi drives the car, shows if he still has the speed, if yes, he will be signed for 2013, replacing webber, if not, well then they took the right decision... not signing him directly for RBR.
In return Williams maybe gets red bull sponsorship, or they simply pay kimis salary, whatever.

Or kimi himself realized that no top team will sign him in 2013, so he goes to williams on his own terms ,so can prove that he still has what it takes.

#34 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:53

Trulli has already been confirmed for 2012.

I know, but something is brewing that might displease the italian journos.

#35 grunge

grunge

• 5,386 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:54

Coughlan wouldve been a key factor here..but one has to look at the greater picture...this realy is a year when Raikkonen will show the top teams he hasn't lost any speed and more importantly that the motivation is there.

2013 RB..here he comes..or Mclaren for that matter..anythings possible in a year's time

Edited by grunge, 23 September 2011 - 16:56.

#36 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 25,149 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:56

Au contraire, I suggest closing the old one. If he's confirmed, this is the new thread, if this turns out to be yet another rumour, close this one too and the fanboy bandwagon can start anew.

#37 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:58

Then why didn't he do it in 2010 when he had the chance with McLaren? And, not to forget, McLaren have both Jenson and Lewis. Can't see them going for Kimi ignoring these gentlemen. Red Bull are comfy with Vettel and maybe Webber will sign up for another 1-year or Daniel will be placed alongside Vettel. It's not as if the teams are falling over each other in a mad rush to sign Kimi. He had the chance in 2010 and he spurned it. And, this coming from a staunch Kimi fan.

We all know that in 2009/2010 ferrari had still a say when it came to him...
he probably would've lost his 2010 salary if he would've signed for a rival team, and no team was willing to compensate for that...

hence why he probably declined red bull AND mclaren.
He had the mclaren contract on the table, he just didnt sign it... as as he said "I will not sign a stupid contract"...
and yes, signing a 7million/year deal is incredibly stupid if that means he will lose the rumored 35-50millon dollars ferrari would've paid him for just making room for alonso.

#38 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 6,940 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 16:59

+1

#39 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Coughlan wouldve been a key factor here..but one has to look at the greater picture...this realy is a year when Raikkonen will show the top teams he hasn't lost any speed and more importantly that the motivation is there.

2013 RB..here he comes..or Mclaren for that matter..anythings possible in a year's time

I dunno, mate. I got a bad feeling that "if" he signs with Williams we're going to see the replay of Schumi-Mercedes saga all over again. I'd have understood if he had been talking with Renault, but Williams?

Advertisement

#40 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Because he wanted to Rally in 2010 and the terms of the McLaren contract didn't suit him or McLaren? Because he didn't know then how Rally would turn out in terms of finances and the long-term future of WRC (not looking great). Maybe he realized he made a mistake and now would probably even agree with you that he should have taken the McLaren seat?

#41 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Coughlan and Sommerville have a firm track record of producing cars unlike Sam Michael, and the organisational structure seems more akin to that of Red Bull now than the hotch-potch structures Ferrari and McLaren have. Williams also have very good factory resources even given how far they've fallen. He'll also have had a long hard look at what Renault are giving them engine-wise and he's getting a straightforward, non-political team who will be giving him exactly what he wants.

It's a long-shot, but you only need to to look at what Kubica was managing at Renault with a good group of technical people.

Edited by cilurnum, 23 September 2011 - 17:00.

#42 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,226 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:02

Coughlan and Sommerville have a firm track record of producing cars unlike Sam Michael, and the organisational structure seems more akin to that of Red Bull now than the hotch-potch structures Ferrari and McLaren have. Williams also have very good factory resources even given how far they've fallen. He'll also have had a long hard look at what Renault are giving them engine-wise and he's getting a straightforward, non-political team who will be giving him exactly what he wants.

It's a long-shot, but you only need to to look at what Kubica was managing at Renault with a good group of technical people.

Coughlan? I didn't see him do anything special at McLaren other than send wifey over to the Xerox shop which cost Ronzo a 100 million.

Anyway, if Kimi feels that Williams is the team I hope to God it works out. But I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed.

#43 grunge

grunge

• 5,386 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:06

I dunno, mate. I got a bad feeling that "if" he signs with Williams we're going to see the replay of Schumi-Mercedes saga all over again. I'd have understood if he had been talking with Renault, but Williams?

Yah Williams is a big surprise but still look at it optimistically...its going to be this one year when a lot of Team principals would be looking at him closely...so chances of signing up with a big team again next year...

but yah on the whole this doesn't look preplanned at all...clearly after 09 ,things didnot turnout the way Raikkonen wanted them to.and now we'll have him driving a Williams in 2012.

Could u have possibly guessed it

#44 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:10

Coughlan? I didn't see him do anything special at McLaren other than send wifey over to the Xerox shop which cost Ronzo a 100 million.

I do wish people would read a bit.

http://www.grandprix...ref-coumik.html

At least he's produced cars where the buck stops with him, something severely lacking in Formula 1 these days and being around John Barnard will certainly help.

#45 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:19

If it's true, I hope that it will be the good old motivated Kimi.

Though I was far from being happy when he was leaving F1, somehow I'm not that keen on seeing him making a return. Especially after Schumacher's one. I'd like to see him in Le Mans in a prototype. But anyway good luck Kimi.

Who in Lotus was high enough to resign Jarno

Lol. You know, Trulli has those vineyards.. :lol:

#46 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:27

Pretty obviously this'll be for just one year. Maybe possible give Williams an option if they score X number of constructor points.

Kimi will get good practice to have great options for 2013. And Williams get a great driver+sponsorship.

They haven't had a confirmed great driver in years so they really don't know what their car is worth in terms of drivability. Some may say Rosberg but he is still unproven.

#47 FNG

FNG

• 5,386 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:40

Pretty obviously this'll be for just one year. Maybe possible give Williams an option if they score X number of constructor points.

Kimi will get good practice to have great options for 2013. And Williams get a great driver+sponsorship.

They haven't had a confirmed great driver in years so they really don't know what their car is worth in terms of drivability. Some may say Rosberg but he is still unproven.

Exactly. I would be gob smacked if it was anything more than a year, with an option for another on Kimi's part

#48 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 17:50

What if RBR had told him that if he can prove that he still has the pace and the motivation to succeed at the business end, one of the two RB9s would be his to drive?

Mannn!!! Can anything get more uber-cool than a Kimi-Seb Alliance at RBR???

:cool: :cool: :cool:

PS: With RBR becoming Renault's new official works team, it might well be an arrangement that Renault could have been keen on, especially given that Kimi driving for Williams will probably mean more publicity for their deal with Williams.

Edited by gillesthegenius, 23 September 2011 - 17:54.

#49 grunge

grunge

• 5,386 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 18:05

Williams can be improved next year with the Renault engine. It would be nice for the Kimi fans. Raikkonen doesn't have to be winning for his fans to enjoy him back.

I have enjoyed watching Alonso this year and he has only won once. Effort can be appreciated even if the trophies aren't there.

IF u dont get along with kimi fans ,then the coming months would be pretty difficult for u..cuz there will be hordes of us coming aboard when this becomes official. :wave:

#50 Verderer

Verderer

• 591 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 18:08

IF u dont get along with kimi fans ,then the coming months would be pretty difficult for u..cuz there will be hordes of us coming aboard when this becomes official. :wave:

Well, as a Kimi fan I would advice holding your horses just yet. It's far from confirmed.