Photo

John Rawley and Ken Miles' 500cc specials

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 16:44

I have read in an old R & T article about Ken Miles that he and John Rawley built half a dozen 500cc specials. Were these cars based on Emmeryson 500cc cars? The cars were not successful as the cars dropped out of races with chassis problems. They were nickel plated and the plating process caused brittleness to the steel. Can anybody tell me more about these cars, did Miles or Rawley race them thereselves?
What were the cars called, i,d be interested to know.
Paul

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:36

I have read in an old R & T article about Ken Miles that he and John Rawley built half a dozen 500cc specials. Were these cars based on Emmeryson 500cc cars? The cars were not successful as the cars dropped out of races with chassis problems. They were nickel plated and the plating process caused brittleness to the steel. Can anybody tell me more about these cars, did Miles or Rawley race them thereselves?
What were the cars called, i,d be interested to know.
Paul

Was that John Rowley? Which R & T was it?

Vince H.

#3 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:05

Hi Vince, the magazine in question is Road & Track october 1963. The article written by W. Lee Tomerlin spells John Rawley as i have just written it. Maybe its wrong.
I would like to know more about these cars.

#4 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:58

This is an odd one that I don't believe anyone has got to the bottom of. I have read several variations on the theme - perm any two from "Emeryson" "front-wheel drive" "half a dozen" and "unsuccessful"

I have no record of Miles or any variation of Rowley driving a 500 on this side of the Atlantic (Ken may have had a guest drive in California, but I don't believe this has been proven).

(blah, blah, blah, loads of theorising deleted) and bingo: Iota magazine, February 1951: "Paul Emery, having relinquished the production problems of his potent front-wheel drive design to John Rowley at Walsall, is concentrating on the development of the 500c .c. J .A.P . twin with which his prototype car was originally powered."
So, as I suspected, of course, Rowley (and presumably Ken Miles) built up the half-dozen or so Emeryson production models, mainly in 1951. It's a bit unfair to describe them as unsuccessful - Harold Daniell being rather handy around Brands Hatch, and Paul Emery wasn't too shabby either (though whether this was in a production chassis or a second works machine is unclear). I haven't heard of inherent reliability issues and generally haven't spotted a trend in the results (although I recall Paul Pycroft struggling).

The Emeryson was a decent piece of kit, but like most marques it was eventually overwhelmed by the Coopers. It was quite well reported (and one made it to the East Coast), but probably wasn't recognised outside the 500 movement in SoCal - hence the "Specials" reference by Ken in interviews.

A bit more at: http://www.500race.o...es/Emeryson.htm

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 14:52

Perhaps Peter Emery can throw some light on the topic.
Roger Lund

#6 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 17:35

From R&T, November 1954, in the article "Miles Away", written by his wife:

"He (Ken Miles) returned to Wolseley Motors where he was engaged for some time in toolmaking. However there seemed little chance for advancement, and when asked to join a friend in the production of race cars, the temptation was quite irresistible. The race car in question was a 500cc, originally designed by Paul Emery with front wheel drive and rubber cord suspension. The overall dry weight was 475 lbs. Ken loved every minute of this work, but it was very exacting since it was necessary for him to spend about 100 hours a week on the project in order to carry out their orders on schedule. After several months the long hours and lack of sleep took quite a heavy toll on his health, and he lost 14 pounds in weight besides getting very nervous and run down. Eventually he was forced to take a break, and about this time was offered a job with Gough Industries here in California......Ken left England just before Christmas 1951."

#7 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 20:16

HiRich and JB Miltonian, thanks for your help. Interesting stuff you have both dug up, i wonder if Ken Miles ever raced one of these Emeryson`s.

Hello Bradbury west, you gave me Peter Emery`s email address a while ago. I did contact him but he was unable to recall any connection between Miles and Rowley and the car.

Paul

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 21:18

I wonder if Ken Miles ever raced one of these Emerysons.

Not according to the Formula 1 Register's Fact Book on Formula 3 1947-52

#9 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 20:37

David,
Ok, thank you.