Photo

Reg Thompson. Does anyone know about him?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:34

In the late 1950s and up to at least 1965, Jack Brabham was represented in Australia by Reg Thompson, who was described in some references as his manager. I believe he may have been employed by Esso.

Reg was a fixture at Australian race meeting at which Brahbam competed and often used his FC Holden station wagon as tow car for Brabham's racing cars.

Does anyone know anything about Thompson? Is he still alive? What was his background and (apart from the Esso connection) how did he becaome involved with Brabham?

All assistance appreciated

Rob Saward

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:53

Grahame Ward, who spends some time with Jack and was hanging around back in the sixties, might know...

Max Stahl also, he used to enter under the 'Ecurie Vitesse' banner Jack sometimes used here. That was the one they used, wasn't it?

Edited by Ray Bell, 19 October 2011 - 13:56.

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 13:52

As Doug Nye co-wrote Sir Jack's autobiography he might know something.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 00:48

Enquiries lodged with Max Stahl have elicited a definite maybe response... "I remember the name, but not the detail..."

However, Max has passed this on to Grahame Ward who will ask Jack himself in a few days.

#5 austmcreg

austmcreg

• 316 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:53

Enquiries lodged with Max Stahl have elicited a definite maybe response... "I remember the name, but not the detail..."

However, Max has passed this on to Grahame Ward who will ask Jack himself in a few days.

Thanks Ray

Rob Saward

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,227 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:26

Rob, Grahame has visited Jack, in fact he's spent most of the weekend with him...

Reg Thompson was with Esso (capacity unknown) and he did 'look after some of Jack's interests' in Australia. There has been mention that he often towed Jack's cars around. Reg died just a few years ago, apparently.

It might well pay for you to e.mail me, Rob, so I can put you directly in touch with Grahame for further information from which he believes you might benefit.