Armstrong Siddeley Typhoon Drophead Coupe information

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MarkWill

MarkWill

• 489 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 00:18

Hi,

My father just told me that he used to own an Armstrong Siddeley Typhoon Drophead Coupe. I looked on the net but I couldnt find any good pictures of one. He recalls that the headlight nacelles were separwte from the fenders (ie not integrated). Any pictures and info would be appreciated.

Mark

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:51

I'm no A-S expert, but always thought the Typhoon was the fixed-head version of the Hurricane. Pictures of the latter can easily be found using 'google images', and I would think a bit more searching would find the fh version. But first you need to establish whether your father's car was a drop-head (Hurricane) of fixed-head (Typhoon)

#3 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:04

David is right and that A-S owners Club site has this photo of a Typhoon
Posted Image

and this Hurricane.
Posted Image

#4 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:07

I'm no A-S expert, but always thought the Typhoon was the fixed-head version of the Hurricane. Pictures of the latter can easily be found using 'google images', and I would think a bit more searching would find the fh version. But first you need to establish whether your father's car was a drop-head (Hurricane) of fixed-head (Typhoon)

A-S also built a pick up truck on the Hurricane chassis. A super vehicle, way ahead of the, then, current thinking.

#5 RCH

RCH

• 1,139 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:49

A-S also built a pick up truck on the Hurricane chassis. A super vehicle, way ahead of the, then, current thinking.

Supposedly for the Australian market, don't know what the Aussies thought of it?

#6 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:25

Well they sold a lot of them down here. Just the thing when the wool cheque came in.

Posted Image

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:33

That'd be a beaut ute, I presume :D

#8 Simon Thomas

Simon Thomas

• 126 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:39

Supposedly for the Australian market, don't know what the Aussies thought of it?

We have one of these "utilities" in Northern Ireland, english registered, cream and maroon coloured, just a super looking vehicle.
Simon Thomas

#9 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:25

Looking at the shape of the screen and roof, I suspect that the ute was based on the Lancaster and Whitley models, which, with both being 4 door models, would have the advantage of shorter front doors, making them eminently suitable for the ute version.
Roger Lund

#10 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 14:42

Looking at the shape of the screen and roof, I suspect that the ute was based on the Lancaster and Whitley models, which, with both being 4 door models, would have the advantage of shorter front doors, making them eminently suitable for the ute version.
Roger Lund

What differences were there in the underpinnings Roger?

#11 mikeC

mikeC

• 1,058 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 16:54

I have a one-owner from new Hurrican, still in original paint, low miles...

Posted Image

:p

#12 RCH

RCH

• 1,139 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 18:46

Roger Lund

Comparing the photos the "Ute" appears to have the same size doors as the Hurricane. I used to pass one practically every day on my way to school and I always reckoned it would not be much use as a pick-up because the load bed was so short.

#13 mikeC

mikeC

• 1,058 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 19:02

I seem to recall that there were two version of the Australian ute - with either two seater or close-coupled four seater cabs. The two seater shown here has shorter doors than the four:
http://www.armstrong...ilitycoupe.html

#14 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 22:27

I thought I would google it, so, and I know it is Wikipedia;
http://en.wikipedia....eley_Whitley_18

see also 3rd post from John of Staffs. Whitley derived.
http://www.imcdb.org...ports-1950.html

see also ASOC site under models
http://www.siddeley....fo_16_18hp.html
RL

Edited by bradbury west, 25 October 2011 - 22:36.

#15 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:15

A few American based utes used the convertible chassis because if the extra bracing in the chassis. I wonder if Armstrong Siddeley did the same thing?

If a farmer bought an Armstrong Siddeley Whitley it would have cost him a heck of a lot more to run than a ute. You can claim the running costs of a ute against the farm at tax time. You can't do that with a saloon. That was the main reason they sold well at the time.

When you are sitting in the front seat looking out the windscreen would there be much difference? :lol:

#16 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:41

A few American based utes used the convertible chassis because if the extra bracing in the chassis. I wonder if Armstrong Siddeley did the same thing?

Didn't need to as it wasn't in any way unitary construction. Low volume cars of that time had a proper chassis which was the same, no matter what the coachbuilder put on it.

#17 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,768 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:53

www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARMSTRONG-SIDDELEY-Station-Coupe-Ute-circa-1950

#18 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,051 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:20

How can that be a 5-6 seater - unless you have some on the back, outside, which wouldn't be legal in UK.

#19 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 13:13

Allan Lupton, on 04 Aug 2014 - 14:20, said:

How can that be a 5-6 seater - unless you have some on the back, outside, which wouldn't be legal in UK.

Bench front seat and 3 across the back