1935 MG Kayne ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:27

Posted Image

I wonder if anyone can help me with any information on Mike Painters MG Kayne ?

So far I have according to the Loton Park Program 1935 850 cc supercharged vs HPI 1934 940 cc.

I have seen elsewhere on the net the the car is part PB (the chassis ?) and part J2 the (front body work ?)

Might this be a post vintage build in the same way Chris Williams Bentley Napier and Bentley Packard ?

Posted Image

Last year I came across a more recent MGB V8 Special also called an MG Kayne Special.

paulg over at the MGCC Forum thinks that Colin Cooper maybe associated with the later special.

Are the two Kaynes in anyway connected through same Colin Cooper who is mentioned in connection with the K1 Killeen in 1984 on this link but seems to have no other net presence ?

Relevant answers may be credited and used in a forthcoming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

Edited by arttidesco, 08 February 2012 - 01:34.

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:37

The first car looks like something Colvin Gunn would have been involved with.
The second one looks like something Jack the Ripper was involved with... :eek:

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:57

I saw a hangar full of the marginally more aesthetically challenging MGB V8 based Kaynes at Brooklands, when I was there for the WB tribute day, they seem to be very well built and obviously have a following, thanks for the Colvin Gunn lead David :up:

#4 Repco22

Repco22

• 975 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:12

Posted Image

I wonder if anyone can help me with any information on Mike Painters MG Kayne ?

So far I have according to the Loton Park Program 1935 850 cc supercharged vs HPI 1934 940 cc.

I have seen elsewhere on the net the the car is part PB (the chassis ?) and part J2 the (front body work ?)

Might this be a post vintage build in the same way Chris Williams Bentley Napier and Bentley Packard ?

Posted Image

Last year I came across a more recent MGB V8 Special also called an MG Kayne Special.

paulg over at the MGCC Forum thinks that Colin Cooper maybe associated with the later special.

Are the two Kaynes in anyway connected through same Colin Cooper who is mentioned in connection with the K1 Killeen in 1984 on this link but seems to have no other net presence ?

Relevant answers may be credited and used in a forthcoming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

Hi Arttidesco. I can't help with your query but enjoyed the link to the K1 Killeen. So that its competition results in Western Australia don't reflect badly on it, I thought I should point out that the 'races' referred to at Northam and Narrogin were not races but regularity events. Round the Houses racing was banned in WA after 1965. The Killeen is a very nice little car in which I enjoyed a quick lap of a Perth city block when Robert Holmes a Court owned it.

#5 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:43

I can get confused by half-remembered facts, but I think there was a special which had a similar name becaues it was made from parts of a KA and an NE. That would have been a six-cylinder of 1286cc or so.
This one is described as a J2/PB and as the PB motor was 939cc that accounts for the 940 you found.
J2 (and PA) were 847 cc of course. From the photo it is not possible to say what is J2 apart from the radiator, but I'd guess the chassis. The front brakes may be PB apart from the hydraulic operation. A J2 could just be 1934, but not 1935.

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:37

Thanks for your comments Repco22, they encouraged me to re read the Killeen link and picked up that Tom Killeen was curious to find out from Colin Copper about his Kayne Specials. The author of the link also did not know what they were.

Does anyone know who the author of the Killeen articles 'Rob Allan' is or better still how I might be able to get in touch with him ?

Posted Image

@Allan thanks for your comments, I thought the chassis might be the longer PB when I saw 1935 in the VSCC programme and then the shorter J2 when I saw 1934 on the HPI register :drunk:

Edited by arttidesco, 08 February 2012 - 11:38.

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 16:33

@Allan thanks for your comments, I thought the chassis might be the longer PB when I saw 1935 in the VSCC programme and then the shorter J2 when I saw 1934 on the HPI register :drunk:

I have a 1ΒΌ" difference in wheelbase between J and P types which I wouldn't expect to be noticeable. But I'm no expert.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 19:11

Does anyone know who the author of the Killeen articles 'Rob Allan' is or better still how I might be able to get in touch with him ?

Check out this page, Ralph - there's a phone number and email link. I'm certain it has to be the same Rob/Bob Allan:

http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/Mercia/

#9 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 23:31

Thanks Tim, I'll see if Bob can help :up:

#10 JMH

JMH

• 62 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 21:14

The car is built on a J2 chassis (J4326) & Mike has I think owned it since about 1990. It has a P type engine.

JH

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 00:54

The car is built on a J2 chassis (J4326) & Mike has I think owned it since about 1990. It has a P type engine.

JH

Thanks JMH glad to have some insight into the chassis / engine combination :wave:

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:49

Apologies for over due thanks to Repco22, Allan, Tim and JMH their invaluable help tracing Colin Cooper.

With some help from, Rob Allan, current Killeen K1 owner Peter Croft in New Zealand I managed to track Colin down and he kindly gave me an interview and let me scan some of his photographs.

So far I have posted blogs about :-

Colin Cooper

Kayne Special I

and[url="http://"%20<a%20href="http://www.psychoontyres.co.uk/mgcc-spee...on-kayne-special-ii/""%20target="_blank">http://www.psychoont...e.....ecial-ii/"</a>"] Kayne Special II [/url]

Next Tuesday I'll be posting a blog on Kayne Special III and on the Killeen K1 the following Tuesday.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed and facilitated some of the most enjoyable blogs I have worked on to date.

Cheers

Ralph

Ralph Colmar aka Art Tidesco

#13 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:45

Do I remember correctly that Tom Killeen ran his brain child (monocoque?) in the British Empire Trophy?

#14 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 00:43

Still not completed my search on the Killeen but according to racingsports cars.com Jack Newton failed to qualify for the British Empire Trophy in 1955. If any one has any further information to share on the Killeen K1 I'd be happy to hear it :up:

I am already in touch with Rob Allan who posted this overview in the K1.

#15 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:12

Still not completed my search on the Killeen but according to racingsports cars.com Jack Newton failed to qualify for the British Empire Trophy in 1955. If any one has any further information to share on the Killeen K1 I'd be happy to hear it :up:

I am already in touch with Rob Allan who posted this overview in the K1.

I found that, but somewhere at the back of my mind is a memory of seeing Tom Killeen himself racing and I can;t quite catch it :|

#16 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:26

The car lives in New Zealand and its owner always comes to VSCC prescott ( in fact he E mailed me yesterday confirming it)

#17 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:04

I found that, but somewhere at the back of my mind is a memory of seeing Tom Killeen himself racing and I can;t quite catch it :|

I am not aware that Tom raced the K1, which I understand he built for his friend EJ Newton, himself, or indeed that Tom raced any other car, but I'd be grateful if corrected on either of those points.

#18 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:07

The car lives in New Zealand and its owner always comes to VSCC prescott ( in fact he E mailed me yesterday confirming it)

It would be an honour to meet Peter and thank him for kindly putting me in touch with Colin :wave:

#19 Painterman

Painterman

• 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:48

Hello All. I know this is a very old thread but I was wondering if you could help me. Mike Painter is my dad and Colin Chapman contacted him through a letter but the phone number he supplied unfortunately does not work and my dad would like to talk to him. Any information would be appreciated.