Photo

Questions?????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Statesidefan

Statesidefan

• 364 posts

Posted 11 August 1999 - 08:58

I'm fairly new at this. I have some BB questions for you guys. And a Tech question.

1) How do you get those quotes and the edited by.... to appear at the bottom of your post? I have an Andretti quote I want to use all of the time.
2) How do you get the sad/smiling faces to appear in your messages?

3)In the early 90's I used to see contrails coming off the wings of the cars. Look at Senna/Mansell at Barcelona. Why dont we see this anymore?

4)Was the ride height of the cars raised after Senna's accident, hence no flying sparks?
Thanks...Jeff

------------------
"The strategy of a Formula One race is very simple. It's flat out from the minute the flag drops." Mario Andretti 1976

Advertisement

#2 Statesidefan

Statesidefan

• 364 posts

Posted 11 August 1999 - 08:59

Forget #1....I figured it out!!!!!

#3 Pit Babe

Pit Babe
  • Paddock Club Host emerita

• 7,725 posts

Posted 11 August 1999 - 09:45

"Faces in the message" is explained in the FAQs - I believe it's inquiry 2.

As for the ride height: I saw something about this someplace.

PB goes hunting online...

Ah, here it is. The absence of sparks appears to be the result of a two-fold rule change. First, from the 1994 German GP forward, the minimum height was raised 10mm by making the installation of the underbody wooden plank mandatory. (The previous standard was 6cm, instituted in 1981.) Then, beginning in 1995, a 50mm stepped bottom was made mandatory in addition to the plank.

------------------
PB ;-)

Always opinionated. Not always right.

P.S. My source is A.J. Samuels's "The History of Ground Effects," which can be found on gtf1.com

[This message has been edited by Pit Babe (edited 08-11-1999).]

#4 tak

tak

• 354 posts

Posted 11 August 1999 - 10:08

After the FIA threatened to raise ride heights by adding a "plank", most teams switched from titanium bottoming plates to plastic bottoming plates. The cars still bottomed just as hard--they just didn't throw the shower of sparks!

#5 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

• 2,812 posts

Posted 11 August 1999 - 10:15

Yet last year in Argentina, Schumacher's Ferrari was trowing up a huge amount of sparks.
Anyone know why that happened ?

#6 narhuit

narhuit

• 223 posts

Posted 13 August 1999 - 16:46

3) I assume you are talking about the vortices we could see at each end of the rear wing, and that were trailing it?
They appear on particular atmospherical conditions only: the air must be nearly saturated with damp (BTW, vortices are sometimes visible behind and just above plane wings too). The vortex was always there, but it was visible only if the abrupt depression caused by the wing made the dampness condense into fog, which just "renders" the vortex.
We see them much less often now, because the wings are much more efficient: they produce less vortices (a vortex is useless for a wing; it brings no downforce, and represents pure drag!).

[edit: plane example + grammar]

[This message has been edited by narhuit (edited 08-13-1999).]

#7 Statesidefan

Statesidefan

• 364 posts

Posted 15 August 1999 - 00:50

Thanks!

------------------
"The strategy of a Formula One race is very simple. It's flat out from the minute the flag drops." Mario Andretti 1976