Photo

#89 celebrity Metro Turbo drivers ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:46

Looking through my 1989 snaps I came across a couple of pics of the #89 'Celebrity' MG Metro Turbo that was run in the Esso Metro Challenge.

Posted Image

Above from 15th April '89 is what looks like Jerry Mahoney at Oulton Park can anyone with an entry list or race report confirm ?

Posted Image

Not sure who was driving the #89 at Silverstone on the 1st of May '89 either, the name Tony Pond springs to mind but I might be confusing this with another event where IIRC his car experienced a massive flame out causing instant retirement early in a race.

Any qualifying or race results for the #89 at either of these events would be a bonus :smoking:

Relevant answers maybe used and credited in a forth coming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your replies.

Edit date of the Oulton Park meeting corrected.

Edited by arttidesco, 24 March 2012 - 12:30.

Advertisement

#2 Gatmo

Gatmo

• 270 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:05

I'm pretty sure that John Handley, John Rhodes and Barrie Williams all drove the No89 car at various times.

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:15

I've looked at the race reports in MN and Autosport. Jerry Mahony definitely drove the celebrity car at Oulton on 15th (not 5th) April. According to MN:

Jerry Mahony, out in the celebrity car, was right on the pace but retired on lap 4 after a collision with Malcolm Bell at Old Hall.

Unfortunately there's no mention in either mag of the driver of the celebrity car at Silverstone on 1st May.

#4 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:29

I've looked at the race reports in MN and Autosport. Jerry Mahony definitely drove the celebrity car at Oulton on 15th (not 5th) April. According to MN:

Unfortunately there's no mention in either mag of the driver of the celebrity car at Silverstone on 1st May.

Thanks Gatmo and Tim :up:

My typo on the 15th :blush:

#5 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 13:11

Wouldn't believe the idiot that penned that report :blush:

PAR

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 13:46

:eek:

Sorry Phil - I never looked to see who wrote it (until now). :blush:

Tis definitely a gem of pellucid prose.  ;)

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 14:31

Tis definitely a gem of pellucid prose. ;)

Not a word that featured very often in PAR's Oulton reports, IIRC :well:

#8 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 14:37

:eek:

Sorry Phil - I never looked to see who wrote it (until now). :blush:

Tis definitely a gem of pellucid prose. ;)

Maybe you could that copy aside for my future delectation Tim ? :cool:

#9 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:11

Not a word that featured very often in PAR's Oulton reports, IIRC :well:

My reports always looked better after Arron had rewritten 95% of the prose :rotfl:

PAR

#10 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:40

Just received an email from my old pal Robin Bradford;

". . . as I am still insufficiently educated to post myself! Still have my commentary master packs from those days, when I was Austin Rover PR . . . celeb on May 1, 1989 (my 38th birthday, by chance) was the late, great Will Hoy . . . Q5, dnf (not sure why - memory doesn't work that well) . . ."

#11 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 17:42

Maybe you could that copy aside for my future delectation Tim ? :cool:

Check your emails, Ralph.

I've just reread the Silverstone report and spotted a mention of Will Hoy. He doesn't feature in Phil's Oulton report or in Autosport's seasonal survey of the Metro Turbo championship, so I'm thinking he probably drove the celebrity car in the Silverstone race.

Edit: beaten (and confirmed) by Twinny and Robin

Edited by Tim Murray, 24 March 2012 - 17:43.

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 18:38

Thanks to Tim I have read the aforementioned pellucid report from Oulton :up:

They say good editors are worth their weight in gold Phil  ;)

Please thank Robin for remembering the late Will Hoy Stuart, and thank you for passing on his message :-)

Tim check your e-mail in box :smoking:

Wishing you all a pellucid evening I'll post a link here to the blog when it gets posted in a couple of weeks :cool:

#13 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 19:36

At the risk of dispersing the pellucidity of theis thread, what is going on with the rear suspension in the first shot in post #1? Why is the wheel so far up in teh wheel arch? Did these cars have a really stiff rear anti-roll bar or something? Or is to do with hydralasticity?

#14 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 21:01

At the risk of dispersing the pellucidity of theis thread, what is going on with the rear suspension in the first shot in post #1? Why is the wheel so far up in teh wheel arch? Did these cars have a really stiff rear anti-roll bar or something? Or is to do with hydralasticity?

Posted Image

I suspect there was a spec stiff suspension kit for the series as they all lifted wheels :smoking:

#15 JockinSA

JockinSA

• 127 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:14

Posted Image

I suspect there was a spec stiff suspension kit for the series as they all lifted wheels :smoking:

It was not so much that they had a "stiff" kit, but the way the cones were set up. All of the interconnect system was removed so that each cone became a seperate spring unit in its own right. They also had a retrofit for rear shocks as the standard car did not have the facility for this. The other trick was to limit the amount of droop that was allowed to the wheels so that you could get them to pick up. If my memory serves right, I used to set the rear pressures on my cars at an equivalent of something like a 500 or 600 pound spring. Lots of playing on the front end and back end for wheel geometry as well. Main thing with them was commitment to getting on the power as soon as possible in corners and getting the power down. It was interesting to look at how The homologation papers described parts on the Metro, so that the little bu...... could be built as a Gp A racer. Ended up that there were some quite trick bits went into them.

#16 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:26

It was not so much that they had a "stiff" kit, but the way the cones were set up. All of the interconnect system was removed so that each cone became a seperate spring unit in its own right. They also had a retrofit for rear shocks as the standard car did not have the facility for this. The other trick was to limit the amount of droop that was allowed to the wheels so that you could get them to pick up. If my memory serves right, I used to set the rear pressures on my cars at an equivalent of something like a 500 or 600 pound spring. Lots of playing on the front end and back end for wheel geometry as well. Main thing with them was commitment to getting on the power as soon as possible in corners and getting the power down. It was interesting to look at how The homologation papers described parts on the Metro, so that the little bu...... could be built as a Gp A racer. Ended up that there were some quite trick bits went into them.

Thanks for your insight into how the Metro suspension was set up JockinSA :up:

#17 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,397 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 16:21

Pellucidity! Whatever next - we can't allow such words, they smack of elitism, of a decent education, we can't have that.

#18 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 22:35

Pellucidity! Whatever next - we can't allow such words, they smack of elitism, of a decent education, we can't have that.

An erudite observation if ever there was one, are you a UOL graduate perchance ?

#19 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 23:21

Belated thanks to everyone who's pellucid observations above finally made it into today's blog :up:

Advertisement

#20 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:39

I wonder, can one pellucidate? My dictionary had pellucidity but not pellucidate