* * * * * 3 votes

The modern Bathurst 12 hour

• Please log in to reply
1430 replies to this topic

#1051 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,634 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 23:42

Lead from the front. If the 'top' race series in the world doesn't take yellow flags seriously, why would anyone else? Motorsport really needs a culture change in this area. 

No. I agree with Neil Crompton. Yellows are go faster flags.

And as for F1, they have not learnt and another will be killed ignoring flags.

Advertisement

#1052 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,634 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 23:54

The big problem with ignoring yellow flags these days is partly because of the overuse of the safety car over the last couple of decades. It’s almost gotten to the point that a bird only has to crap on the track and they bring the safety car out. This means that when drivers see a yellow flag with no safety car board they simply assume that it can’t be too serious or the safety car would have been deployed.

It’s essentially now a vicious cycle in Motorsport. Drivers don’t slow down for yellows because even minor issues bring out the safety car. Therefore, officials now have to keep bringing the safety car out over the littlest problem because the drivers won’t slow down for local yellows as they don’t take them seriously anymore. This then means that the moment the officials are too slow to the bring the safety car out for a genuine track blockage... some idiot is going the just drive straight into the wreak on the road as they were ignoring the yellows!

As others have said, the whole culture has to change. The drivers need to respect yellows, and the officials have to bring respect for yellow flags back by not removing the significance of them by overusing the safety car.

The joke is that at State level events ignoring yellows is a serious deal. But the so called Pros simply ignore them.

And as for Safety Car,,,,,, they are used to bunch up the field again and are way overused.

Yesterday a wheel fell off immediatly after a restart, all the cars were the otherside of the track,, but they pulled a safety car which then took maybe 10 minutes,,, so everyone could catch up,  refuel etc.

As for wheels,, well how many fell off? I saw a few and watched maybe 4 hours. Centre lock wheels are in reality dangerous and mechanically inept as well. Look at the back of any centre lock wheel and you can see 'chattering' marks. And very often gouges on the pins area as well. And that for wheels reputedly done up properly, something that frequently does not happen in these quick wheel changes.

#1053 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:57

I was standing 100m or so down-track when this happened. Like those around me, I did not rush to the site, but when the race was declared wandered back to my car past the site.  Still no crowd of rubber-neckers, which I was a little surprised at, so much for the trope of certain people only going to the car races to see the/a crash.

We, and the drivers especially, can be thankful they were both left hookers, the impact was passenger side to passenger side.  I haven't looked for an image of the Merc, but it was a real mess from the front wheel back - maybe survivable in RHD but I would not put my hand up to verify it.  Looked like the Audi took the impact on the rear wheel.

I agree with the sentiments above.  If the yellow was out, Martin should be disciplined - this was a potentially fatal accident.  If the flag was not out, the flaggie concerned, and/or the OIC flag post (whatever that is called these days), likewise.  Yellows are supposed to mean something, and need to be shown smartly when needed and acted upon by drivers.

#1054 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 2,721 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:58

I find it hard to believe that there were no yellow flags waving for the first accident. Not because it would be unbelievably sloppy by the marshalls, but because several other cars avoided the accident before the second hit.

That corner is blind and fast, and the racing line always puts you to the right near the wall (exactly where the first car had crashed). There must have been a flag warning the others to slow down, otherwise none of them would have been able to hold to the left had they gone in there at racing speed.

One of the cars before the Merc just barely missed the stricken Audi. I think there must have been some type of a mistake with the marshals or something, but you guys need to keep in mind this is a very steep track with countless blind corners. It's not the usual Tilkedrom with miles of runoff area. 

#1055 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,424 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:06

One of the cars before the Merc just barely missed the stricken Audi. I think there must have been some type of a mistake with the marshals or something, but you guys need to keep in mind this is a very steep track with countless blind corners. It's not the usual Tilkedrom with miles of runoff area.

But that’s exactly my point. Any car entering that area at full race speed should not have been able to avoid the accident at all. It was right on the racing line around a blind corner. Several cars went through on the left hand side, including the car you mentioned that just scraped by. They must have had some warning or they wouldn’t have been able to pull so tight to the left side of the track had they been at full speed.

Edited by Jazza, 05 February 2018 - 04:08.

#1056 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,418 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:15

The big problem on this part of the track is the concrete wall on the drivers left.
When I started racing at Bathurst in the early 90s there was a tyre wall on the left and a reasonable grass verge, when they built the concrete wall they built it in front of the old tyre wall. (it's still there)
The concrete wall is much higher and it's the thing that makes that part of the track blind and dangerous. It was much safer when you could see.
Also a left hand drive car is at a distinct disadvantage for vision because of this.

About flags, a while back I did hear a whisper that the FIA wanted the race director to be responsible for ordering the flags to be waved. That the flag marshal had to radio race control for approval to wave the yellow flag. I don't know if this stupidity was ever adopted but it was what the FIA wanted to implement at Bathurst a few years back.
Oh, they also wanted to get rid of double yellows!

#1057 WOT

WOT

• 463 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:36

The big problem on this part of the track is the concrete wall on the drivers left.
When I started racing at Bathurst in the early 90s there was a tyre wall on the left and a reasonable grass verge, when they built the concrete wall they built it in front of the old tyre wall. (it's still there)
The concrete wall is much higher and it's the thing that makes that part of the track blind and dangerous. It was much safer when you could see.
Also a left hand drive car is at a distinct disadvantage for vision because of this.

About flags, a while back I did hear a whisper that the FIA wanted the race director to be responsible for ordering the flags to be waved. That the flag marshal had to radio race control for approval to wave the yellow flag. I don't know if this stupidity was ever adopted but it was what the FIA wanted to implement at Bathurst a few years back.
Oh, they also wanted to get rid of double yellows!

I'm having real trouble even contemplating that....

#1058 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,418 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:43

Having worked with some of the race controllers I feel that ego is more important than safety.

#1059 WOT

WOT

• 463 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:39

Having worked with some of the race controllers I feel that ego is more important than safety.

Well that needs to be fixed.....

Advertisement

#1060 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:43

Even when the video shows that was not in fact the case?

Let me speculate, based on racing at that track, and spectating adjacent to the site of the accident.

If that screenshot does show a yellow flag, there must have been a yellow flag at the next (down-track) flag post because (as far as anybody knows at this time) there was no incident between the two flag posts. If it was a yellow, there certainly was no green at the next post, it was, or was about to, display a yellow for the big shunt. This next flag post is the one that can be seen in the distance in the video of the accident looking up-track.

While this video shows the flags only late in the sequence, it is possible that the yellow was displayed earlier than it appears in that video.  Circumstantial evidence supporting this comes from the avoidance by two cars prior to the Merc arriving.

#1061 ANF

ANF

• 7,732 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 13:32

Once the flag is waved it's clearly visible, isn't it?

bcrop1.gif

Edited by ANF, 05 February 2018 - 13:34.

#1062 Jager

Jager

• 385 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 15:20

One of the cars before the Merc just barely missed the stricken Audi. 

That was one of the Marc Cars Mazda 3's. In qualifying they were about 8 seconds a lap slower than the Class A cars like the Merc, so were possibly slower through that corner and therefore able to respond to the situation more quickly.

#1063 WOT

WOT

• 463 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 16:30

Once the flag is waved it's clearly visible, isn't it?

bcrop1.gif

That could be the second yellow, just being dragged out and waved. But I think it still needs to be investigated.

#1064 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,514 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 21:24

This has been coming for some time, the FIAs general lax policing of yellows and the increasingly fast cars at bathurst was going to end in tears, many have predicted it for some time.

For the non locals, this part of the track is where you can really make up time if you hook it up, as you get braver and braver. The cars are a touch loose through there to carry the speed they need to be competitive, it's arguably the hairiest section of race track anywhere in the world.

Jean todt should skip a geneva hors derv function or two and start ensuing the yellow issue is policed.

Bathurst also needs to put in a more alarming system through the Reid, sulman and mcphillamy park left handlers, like a fence mounted lighting system for example. Mark Porter died in that same spot in the same circumstances and tbh I thought we were about to see it again yesterday, that was spooky.

#1065 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 22:14

I saw a high definition video of that clip, which showed that the waved flag happened 16 seconds (I think) after the Marc and Audi went past the flag post after their contact. That should have been the trigger for the yellow to come out, 16 seconds is an eternity for an experienced/trained flaggie to get the yellow out. Maybe it was out, just not visible down track (up track visibility is what matters), who knows, but that was a fatal accident in the making and the fact that nobody died does not mean that a proper post mortem of the incident should not occur.  Either Martin or the flaggie/his boss in the post should be disciplined if the evidence warrants it. The flaggies do a magnificent job, they hold lives in their hands.  Lessons need to be learned from this, cheap learning given what might have been the cost.

#1066 f1paul

f1paul

• 6,352 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 09:03

The 2019 Bathurst 12 Hour will become a 4 day event.  :D  http://www.supercars...pands-for-2019/

The three-day February 1-3 date is now accompanied by running on the Thursday, January 31, which will host additional 12 Hour practice.

A fourth support category will also be added to the event’s program.

Tickets for the 2019 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour, marking the start of the Australian motorsport season on January 31-February 3, are now on sale.

Early-bird pricing for general admission access, grandstands and camping is available until June 27.

Four-day general admission tickets start at $60 for adults, grandstand seats on the pit straight at $70 and campsites at Reid & Sulman and McPhillamy Parks from $90.

The more racing at Bathurst, the better! 

#1067 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 08:02

Tony Walls’ Objective Racing will again enter its McLaren 650S GT3 in the 2019 edition of the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

Next year’s running of the once-around-the-clock race at Mount Panorama will be the team’s fourth after debuting in 2016.

#1068 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:40

The Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour could be set to welcome new marques to the GT3 field next year with organisers engaged in talks that may bring the Honda NSX GT3 to the event.  

Preparations for next year’s Mount Panorama GT classic (January 31-February 3) are well underway with another bumper grid expected for the opening round of the Intercontinental GT Challenge.

Australia will once again kick off the season which will expand to five events with South Africa’s Kyalami 9 Hours joining the Laguna Seca California 8 Hours, Spa 24 Hours and Suzuka 10 Hours. 

Interest in the Bathurst 12 Hour continues to grow with the event management expecting as many as two new manufacturers on the GT3 grid as part of an influx of new international entrants.

Event director Kurt Sakzewski says there is a chance that Honda will be among those newcomers represented with an example of the NSX GT3. 

The Japanese brand’s original NSX finished third in the 1993 Bathurst 12 Hour in the hands Ian Palmer, brother Ross Palmer and former MotoGP/500cc World Champion Wayne Gardner.

“We are not quite ready to announce anything at the moment, but I think it is fair to say that we’ve got increased interest with the international teams, which is great to see,” Sakzewski told Speedcafe.com.

“We’re very optimistic that we’ll have probably a couple of brands competing next year that we didn’t have in 2018 and this is all talking Class A. 

“We expect those brands to be announced in sort of the coming weeks which is great.

“There’s every possibility that (a Honda could be on the grid), we’re talking to a number of teams that run the brands that we haven’t had before. 

“We’re certainly looking to grow that and Honda is one of those on the list. 

“We’d love to see a Honda or Acura NSX at next year’s 12 Hour, especially given I guess the history that the NSX has had, competing in the 12 Hour back in the original days.”

Asia could also enjoy increased representation with the event striking a chord with teams in the growing GT racing market in the region.

“As well as our usual competitors that join us from Europe and North America, we’re also noticing this year that we’ve got increased interest out of the Asian region, I guess off the back of the strengths of GT racing in Asia there now,” Sakzewski added. 

“There’s a few Australian drivers who’ve been competing over there as well, so they’re spreading the word, so that’s great to see.

“We’re spreading out our reach, not just in terms of the number of cars, but the number of brands and also the regions in which those entries are coming from.

“We’re pretty confident we’ll have another big field for next year, and optimistic that it’ll be a decent increase in international competitors as the prestige of the Intercontinental GT Challenge actually grows.”

While a new wave of entrants are expected, stalwarts such as M-Sport are likely to return with its new Bentley Continental GT3s, which debuted this year.

#1069 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 00:56

Triple Eight Supercars stars Craig Lowndes, Jamie Whincup and Shane van Gisbergen will unite for the 2019 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.
The trio will share a Scott Taylor Motorsport Mercedes-AMG GT3, which will be run in the February event in conjunction with Triple Eight.Vodafone, Triple Eight’s Supercars sponsor from 2007-12, is backing the high-profile entry, looking to add to the four Bathurst 1000 wins the partnership enjoyed.
All three drivers are former winners of the 12 Hour – Lowndes achieving success in Ferraris in 2014 and ’17; the latter result alongside Whincup in a Triple Eight-supported effort.
Van Gisbergen won the race in 2016 aboard a Tekno Autosports McLaren and is the most experienced of the three in GT3 cars, having raced in Europe and the United States.

A90-I8855-900x600.jpg

#1070 paulb

paulb

• 5,853 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 00:58

^That is a super-strong driver lineup.

#1071 Peat

Peat

• 3,715 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:45

Strong team, strong drivers AND a blue riband sponsor. 

B12hr has arrived!

#1072 wonk123

wonk123

• 1,633 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:49

A 1.59 at Challenge Bathurst

https://www.supercar...2-hour-testing/

#1073 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 00:28

Bentley Motorsport will return to the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour after confirming an expanded Intercontinental GT Challenge and Blancpain Endurance Series 2019 program.

The British marque is expected to once again field two factory entries at the Mount Panorama classic held from January 31 – February 3.

This year will see Bentley Team M-Sport race two of its new specification Continental GT3s which made their full racing debut this season.

It will also return to Bathurst with the same driver line-up of Vincent Abril, Jules Gounon, Steven Kane, Jordan Pepper, Andy Soucek and Maxime Soulet.

Bentley’s season will begin with the trip to Bathurst before undertaking an assault on the Blancpain Endurance Series and the remaining rounds of the Intercontinental GT Challenge, which will include a four car Pro class entry at the 24 Hours of Spa in July.

“The Intercontinental GT Challenge allows us to extend our programme outside of Europe, which is vital to reflect the global presence of our brand,” said Bentley’s Director of Motorsport, Brian Gush.

“I’m pleased that we’ve retained all of our six works team drivers for 2019, and we will run at least one car at the 24 Hours of Spa with the top drivers promoted from our global customer team program.

“Once these are confirmed, we will look at our options for the fourth car. The most important thing for us as a brand is that we have four driver teams capable of winning the race.

“As in previous years, Bentley Team M-Sport drivers will be available to our customer teams in 2019. So far, they have supported our teams racing in Super GT, Pirelli World Challenge, the British GT Championship, GT Masters and the Blancpain GT Series Asia, sharing valuable experience and knowledge.”

Bentley is yet to taste success at the Bathurst 12 Hour having come close in 2016 and 2017 where it finished third. Speedcafe.com understands that this year’s event is likely to feature its largest ever GT3 line-up with new manufacturers set to feature.

Bentley-1200x750.jpgimg photo hosting

#1074 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:03

M Motorsport has entered three KTM X-Bows in the GT4 class of the 2019 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

The trio of cars is spearheaded by the Equity-One entry of former Australian Formula 3 champion and overseas LMP3 racer James Winslow, gentleman driver Dean Koutsoumidis, and Jake Parsons, who has this year raced predominantly in Japanese Formula 3.

The Vantage Freight entry is comprised of four drivers who were all part of the M Motorsport line-up for this year’s Bathurst 12 Hour, namely David Crampton, Trent Harrison, Caitlin Wood, and Tim Macrow.

In the team’s third car is M Motorsport team owner Justin McMillan, Glen Wood, and Dean Lillie, with a fourth driver yet to be announced.

The X-Bow fleet is the largest to take on the Bathurst 12 Hour, and comes after McMillan and Koutsoumidis also competed in one of the vehicles in the back end of this year’s Blancpain GT Series Asia.

“We’re looking forward to running three cars, it’s exciting,” said McMillan.

“We’ve had to re-look at the way we’re doing things. We had a look at running four cars, but in the end we chose to concentrate on the three.“We’re going to have some representation from Reiter Engineering (KTM X-Bow constructor) there to help us, and Dean’s car is the latest, current-spec car and the one we ran in Blancpain Asia this year.

IMG-8106-1200x800.jpg

#1075 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 00:31

Supercars team-mates Tim Slade and Nick Percat will combine with GT ace Nick Foster in a HubAuto Corsa Ferrari for next year’s Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

The trio will pilot an all Pro Ferrari 488 GT3 entry for the top Asian GT outfit which is making its maiden tilt at the Mount Panorama GT classic from January 31 to February 3.

Based in Taiwan, this season marked HubAuto’s first as a Ferrari customer outfit.

The team won two races this year and finished fifth in the Blancpain GT Asia team standings.

Brad Jones Racing Supercars driver Slade and Foster are familiar faces at HubAuto having raced with the team in Blancpain GT Series Asia.

Slade combined with team owner Morris Chen while Foster partnered with Leo Ye and Kiwi Jono Lester to score two race wins.

The South Australian is set to make his sixth Bathurst 12 Hour start with his best result a second place driving for Erebus Motorsport in 2012.

“I’ve been racing in Asia with HubAuto and it’s exciting to continue that relationship,” said Slade.

“It’s very exciting to be in a full Pro car which I’ve not done at Bathurst before. The Ferrari obviously has a lot of potential there.
“HubAuto are a really good team and I’ve loved racing with them this year.

“I have to say thanks to (Nick) Foster for putting my name in the hat to drive with the team owner, Morris, in the Pro-Am car in the Blancpain series.

“They’re a good bunch of people, and they are lacking nothing in terms of equipment or ability to do the job.”

Hub-Ferrari.jpg

#1076 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:51

Jaxon Evans will join David Calvert-Jones and Kevin Estre in the Competition Motorsports Porsche for the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

Evans is now tied to Porsche having won its Junior Programme Shootout last month, and will make his second Bathurst 12 Hour start in the Competition 911 GT3 R.

“I can’t wait to get back to one of the most iconic circuits in the world, alongside the other drivers in the Ice Break Extra Shot flown by Virgin Porsche,” said the 22-year-old New Zealander.

“This will be my first official race as a ‘Porsche Junior’.

“The team has produced some amazing results in previous years and the Porsche GT3R seems to suit the layout. This will be something we will look to replicate.

“A massive thank you to both CJ (Calvert-Jones) and Porsche Motorsport for the opportunity.”

Porsche factory driver Estre finished fifth outright in this year’s Bathurst 12 Hour with Craft-Bamboo Racing, and has since won his class in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a 911 RSR.

“I’m very happy to join Competition Motorsports for the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour,” said the 30-year-old Frenchman.

“David and his team are always competitive and have finished on the overall podium as well as great class results.

“I really love the Bathurst track, it’s one of the last circuits in the world which gives such an adrenaline rush every lap you drive.

“The disparity of cars and drivers – plus the fact that there are no run-off areas on the Mountain – makes it a huge challenge in the traffic. I can’t wait for February.”

While rule changes and Matt Campbell’s move to a factory-backed Porsche has forced a revamp of Competition’s driving crew, Calvert-Jones is confident in the talent within the team.

“Hard not to get excited about this new driver line up,” he said.

“We have a great experienced lead driver with Kevin Estre and then there’s newly minted Porsche Junior Jaxon Evans.

“Having Jaxon joining us is somewhat reminiscent of having Matt Campbell in the team when we won the Pro-Am category in his first race as a Porsche junior.

“After a couple of years of going tantalisingly close, I really want to give this a good crack and I think the Ice Break Extra Shot flown by Virgin Australia team can deliver.”

Competition Motorsports finished fourth outright this year and second outright the year prior.

The 2019 Bathurst 12 Hour takes place on January 31-February 3.

#1077 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:35

https://www.speedcaf...019-entry-list/

#1078 Peat

Peat

• 3,715 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 11:37

Hell of an entry. 

#1079 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 00:56

Former Champ Car champion and Gold Coast Indy 300 winner Paul Tracy will return to Australia to compete in this year’s Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

Tracy will replace fellow North American Boris Said in a MARC Car which he will share with 2014 Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 winner Paul Morris and car owner Keith Kassulke.

Said, who drove for Paul Morris Motorsport in the 2008 Supercars enduros and as an international co-driver on the Gold Coast in 2011 and 2012, was injured while training on his dirt bike with his son last week.

Tracy began the transition to retirement late last decade and has made a name for himself since 2014 as an IndyCar television commentator with NBC Sports in the United States.He works in that role alongside Australian Leigh Diffey, who played a part in the Canadian hard man’s Bathurst drive.

nup-168403-0093-1200x800.jpg

Advertisement

#1080 teejay

teejay

• 5,531 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:13

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss!

Saw his social media feed where he has been smashing himself in the gym - not a lot of time to get "race fit" but good luck to him... hopefully leads to a last run at Indy.

#1081 maximilian

maximilian

• 3,604 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:17

last run at Indy.

If by that you mean finishing last, then yeah, maybe!  :lol:

Seriously tho, best of luck to him.  Pretty steep task to climb back into a cockpit after a while... and that a 12-hour race, too.

#1082 paulb

paulb

• 5,853 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:33

If by that you mean finishing last, then yeah, maybe! :lol:

Seriously tho, best of luck to him. Pretty steep task to climb back into a cockpit after a while... and that a 12-hour race, too.

He drove a Trans Am race last year.

#1083 paulb

paulb

• 5,853 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 18:10

Nielsen, Buurman Confirmed in Mercedes GT3 for Bathurst 12H, https://sportscar365...r-bathurst-12h/

#1084 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,432 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 21:58

Yeah baby !!!
More Christina !!
All of a sudden ..She’s like the ALO of female racers.

Jp

#1085 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,514 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:20

Let's hope driving standards improve after last years debacle, there were several poor moves that were outright dangerous.

#1086 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:43

Agree!

Speaking of which (maybe?), was there ever any resolution to the question of who was responsible for the shunt that stopped the race - the driver who ignored a yellow, or the flaggies post which packed up just a little early?  I know which the videos suggested, but hopefully there was some sort of official follow-up, maybe a stewards enquiry?

#1087 PaulC2K

PaulC2K

• 339 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 15:32

While questions are being asked...
I read a while back that there was talk of the Supercars series moving to a summer series (Aussie summer) and I was curious as to whether or not anything had been mentioned regarding how the 12h race would fit in with this switch?
I dont really want to get into the discussion of the merits of such a move, as that'd be better done in their thread, but whether such a change would cause issues/complications for this race in particular. Would they move the race to later in the year, or just have the mid-season break cover the 12h race (which a lot of the drivers & engineers etc would be at, so not quite a break).

Im somewhat surprised that theres only 1 McLaren in this years field, considering its been very competitive around there in recent years, im guessing thats more to do with the 720 still being in development and/or simply not being available to customers yet? It looked pretty impressive around Abu Dhabi (BoP probably in its favour, however) and would have been interesting having it here too, even if its just the development team (sans-SVG) again.

FWIW, Im disappointed that the 888 lot are running the Mercedes GT3. It was an absolute dog last year, though most of the field were basically shoved into a 2nd tier thanks to the BoP applied to the Ferrari. Lowndes was basically able to come out of the pits, set lap after lap faster than 3/4 of the GT3's managed at any point in the race, and still go 2 laps further on fuel than anyone else. Balanced my arse. 

#1088 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,647 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 13:11

The Earl Bamber Porsches look amazing, shame they haven't got any Kiwi drivers..

#1089 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,514 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:23

The Ferrari dominance was the year before no?

And summer for v8s may be an issue for this race but seriously it cant happen. How the helk they gonna drive these cars at 45 degrees or whatever? Itd be 70 degrees in the car.

#1090 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:23

https://www.speedcaf...t-12hr-line-up/

#1091 PaulC2K

PaulC2K

• 339 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 14:22

The Ferrari dominance was the year before no?

And summer for v8s may be an issue for this race but seriously it cant happen. How the helk they gonna drive these cars at 45 degrees or whatever? Itd be 70 degrees in the car.

Jeeze, you're right. I had to look the result up, and i have absolutely zero recollection of the race  :rotfl: 
I follow SVG, so i looked what he was driving, and he's in a McLaren along with Lowndes & Ledogar. Still absolutely zero recollection, i'd have have swore on peoples lives that never happened  :well: They were a DNF so i probably sulked and erased all memory of it ever happening!!
The only bit about the info on wikipedia that sounds vaguely familiar is the race ending short. Yet the fact that Lowndes was 1sec faster than absolutely everyone from beginning to end of a stint and Engel throwing a temper tantrum cos SVG was pressing so hard in a uncompetitive car, is fresh in my mind like it happened last week. 

Anyway, as for the V8s, my understanding was that they want to do this and run more night/evening races, like Sydney was, and Perth/Barbagallo will be this season where its under floodlights.
They're trying to compete with other weekend sports, and typical family lives, and where most sports you'd go 1h beforehand, and leave 2hrs or so later, motorsport kinda wants your whole day and they feel like they're losing folks due to compromises. Shopping, kids events (sports practice etc), other professional events etc, and if they made it an evening event where people turned up at say 6pm for an 8pm race, theres less conflict with routine activities. Doing it over winter, at night, doesnt make things too appealing either. However in the summer it'd be much nicer weather.

But i suppose the point you make is still a bigger issue because i doubt the plan is to make most races evening races, and those temps would be horrible.

#1092 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,647 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 19:11

Triple 8 lads look good in their kit:

https://www.supercar.../?sf206199090=1

#1093 A3

A3

• 28,343 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:54

Love the track, printed it in 3D:

afeRckN.jpg?1

#1094 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 9,634 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 00:02

Bathurst 12 hour coming up soon and todays SpeedCafe has the introduction of a yellow light in every car so they do not run into someone elses crash. As happened last year that a car drove straight into a crashed car,,10-15 sec after it happened meaning at least two flag points.

Is this nanny stuff required? Or simply ping every driver and their teams  for ignoring yellow flags, especially waved ones. 

I am for pinging drivers and teams as yellows these days mean go faster and catch the field. And the bigger salary  means ignore yellows more!!

I am generally not one for 'safety cars' but they sometimes have their place. Especially after this one. As the track was near blocked and with injured drivers.

And has anyone noticed safety cars for pros and for the amatuers in supports the race continues normally  with a broken car on the track edge under yellows for the section.

The race this year has 42 entries with some heavy hitters at the front down to some fairly slow cars as per usual.

Should be a good event, but like Stupidcars will be spoilt by safety cars every 15 min!

#1095 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:19

Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour organisers have confirmed that this year’s race will again be telecast in full in Australia by the Seven Network.

In a deal which represents a continuation of past arrangements, Seven’s coverage will commence with Saturday afternoon’s Pirelli Top 10 Shootout at 1600 local time/AEDT on 7mate.

The race will be live on the same channel all day on Sunday from 0530 AEDT.

Mark Beretta will again host the telecasts, while the commentary line-up of John Hindhaugh, Richard Craill and Johnny Palmer is also the same as in 2018.

In pit lane, Beretta will be joined by Seven’s Alex Hart, Supercars’ Chad Neylon, and Shea Adam, while Briony Ingerson is a new addition as a colour reporter.

The telecast will also be streamed on 7plus in Australia and via the event’s website for overseas markets, while Radio Le Mans will provide live audio commentary of each 12 Hour session.

The 2019 Bathurst 12 Hour takes place from January 31-February 3.

#1096 Peat

Peat

• 3,715 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:14

First off, yellow lights on the dash are not new. They are used to great effect in other series. 

WIth regards to Bathurst, I think they marry perfectly. Referencing the incident of last year's B12 - There were yellow flags being waved, yes. But that section of Skyline of several blind left handers requires all of your attention. I'd proffer that the marshals posts are not in the drivers eye line while they are looking to the next apex. A bright yellow light in their face would surely be more effective. 

#1097 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 1,388 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 09:42

First off, yellow lights on the dash are not new. They are used to great effect in other series. 

WIth regards to Bathurst, I think they marry perfectly. Referencing the incident of last year's B12 - There were yellow flags being waved, yes. But that section of Skyline of several blind left handers requires all of your attention. I'd proffer that the marshals posts are not in the drivers eye line while they are looking to the next apex. A bright yellow light in their face would surely be more effective.

None so blind as they who do not want to see ...

This still needs an alert and competent flaggies post to initiate the yellow, and an alert and responsible driver to respond to the yellow. Recent history may not support those assumptions.

No, the yellow flags only (seemed to) appear after Martin was past the post, 16 seconds after the initial incident involving the Marc and the Audi.  I have not seen any evidence to challenge that - happy to be corrected though.  There are numerous instances of bad/dangerous driving under yellow flag conditions.

#1098 Peat

Peat

• 3,715 posts

Posted 23 January 2019 - 19:30

I don't remember it well enough, but I do recall some furor over it. So, yeah, even if there are yellow lights, it's going to require someone on the ground to have pressed the button.

#1099 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 726 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:55

Lamborghini team Trofeo Motorsport has made a late change to its driver line-up for next week’s Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour.

Ryan Millier has joined former Formula 1 driver Ivan Capelli, long-time Supercars co-driver Dean Canto, and team owner Jim Manolios for the last four years.

The #29 Lamborghini Huracan finished 10th outright and third in Class A Am in 2017, and eighth outright and fourth in Class A Pro-Am in 2018.Millier, however, has now been sidelined from driving duties with an eye to new regulations around driver rankings, and will be replaced in the car by Ben Porter.

Trofeo-MS-B12-H-Trofeo29-KM-040218-med2-

Advertisement

#1100 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,432 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 22:40

Your free streaming weekend schedule
https://www.bathurst...om.au/schedule/

That right .. free legal stream for all sessions from the LiquiMoly 12 hr website.

God love ‘em.
Jp