* * * * * 3 votes

The modern Bathurst 12 hour

• Please log in to reply
1431 replies to this topic

#1401 ArrowsLivery

ArrowsLivery

• 2,831 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:32

Incredible stint by Marciello at the end there. 

Advertisement

#1402 PaulC2K

PaulC2K

• 339 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:33

First a great Daytona, now this. 2019 is starting pretty well if you ask me.

Sure.... but we've peaked. In racing... as humans. Just like at Skyline, it can only go downhill from here  :p 

I havent seen anything official about the post race stuff, but the official site's post on the result, makes absolutely zero mention of any post-race investigation, and it refers to the incident as 'giving the BMW a love tap off the road' 

https://www.bathurst...nt-to-the-flag/

Its quite the omission if they're reviewing it and could potentially be moved down to 6th, and they dont even bother suggesting theres any uncertainty hanging over the actual winner.

#1403 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,109 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:06

Uncertainty gone. Stewards decided NFA on the incident, 912 is the winner.

https://www.supercar.../?sf207145038=1

#1404 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,689 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:45

Uncertainty gone. Stewards decided NFA on the incident, 912 is the winner.

https://www.supercar.../?sf207145038=1

What a legendary win! 

Proper hero or zero moment.

Kudos to Earl Bamber too, he's a serial winner - including as a team owner. 

https://twitter.com/...3569723393?s=20

#1405 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,109 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:53

^ That move was a proper Ricciardo "lick the stamp and send it" type of moment.  :lol:

Incredible stint by Marciello at the end there. 

Yeah, hanging on for dear life on tires at the end of their usable window. Crazy to think he still managed to defend hard enough for P3.

#1406 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,689 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:13

I actually prefer the 12 hour to the 1000. More interesting cars, great mix of local and international heroes. Amateur drivers and slower cars to mix thing up and create variables.

#1407 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 943 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:58

Uhh.. nap too long. But what a finish! Need to check some highlights later on, but very glad for the #912 crew and EBM team.  :up:

#1408 thegamer23

thegamer23

• 7,382 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:26

Just caught up with the final part of the race.

WHAT A RACE

That pass by the 912 was insane

Reminded me of Zanardi's pass at Laguna Seca

Edited by thegamer23, 03 February 2019 - 10:27.

#1409 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 26,928 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:17

I fell asleep....don’t ask me how.. but.
Where did the 19 finish.. if at all ?
Jp

#1410 PiperPa42

PiperPa42

• 4,935 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:25

Great ending to the race. Managed to watch the first few hours and the last 15 minutes.

#1411 Jeeves

Jeeves

• 943 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 11:35

I fell asleep....don’t ask me how.. but.
Where did the 19 finish.. if at all ?
Jp

13th overall.

Results: http://www.dailyspor...Hour-Result.pdf

#1412 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:31

I felt 912's move was a bit harsh, he was never alongside, just bumped the BMW out the way.

However, when you consider some of Tomcyzks and especially the rather pathetic Farfus driving from earlier when the race was in its earlier stages I think justice was done, they were the only team really being that cynical in their defence and were warned, so fair do's.

The oddest thing is Soucek in the Bentley, surely a sack-able offence if he hit the wrong switch twice!!

And the stupid weaving from drivers on the pace car lap, especially the GTR who just didn't come in!  Do that elsewhere and you would be heavily reprimanded!

How much green flag time too, race could do with another 15 or so slower cars, get rid of the Mustang things, have a decent field of GT4 and then you would have even more action. That would be my only critique, not enough traffic as you get on other endurance races on long circuits.

#1413 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 31,659 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 13:24

I actually prefer the 12 hour to the 1000. More interesting cars, great mix of local and international heroes. Amateur drivers and slower cars to mix thing up and create variables.

Nah. Has is charms but 12 hrs too long, 6 hrs is perfect.

#1414 ANF

ANF

• 8,490 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 13:25

The oddest thing is Soucek in the Bentley, surely a sack-able offence if he hit the wrong switch twice!!

That's very odd indeed considering that Soucek has done three full Blancpain GT seasons in the Bentley. I wonder if it could be a case of very poor cockpit design (like, "This switch here is the one that used to say GO, but from now on it says STOP!")

#1415 DS27

DS27

• 3,247 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 14:49

Yeah, hanging on for dear life on tires at the end of their usable window. Crazy to think he still managed to defend hard enough for P3.

All the more remarkable for the fact he was defending from SVG.

Great race, but gutted the Aston didn't take the win.

#1416 Victor_RO

Victor_RO
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,109 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 15:30

All the more remarkable for the fact he was defending from SVG.

Albeit an ailing Giz that collapsed with heat exhaustion when he got out of the car at the end of the race.

#1417 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 8,005 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 15:33

It's not exactly often you see a Norwegian on top in a tarmac-circuit race! Will live for years on this one :)

#1418 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,376 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 21:57

Brilliant race, ebbed and flowed with different manufactures and their varied strategies over the whole 12 hrs, and run at a picturesque iconic venue. This race should be compulsory viewing for all Liberty Media employees, although they would probably hate the general public being reminded of what a proper motor race is like as it makes their "show" seem pretty weak by comparison.

#1419 Lotus72b

Lotus72b

• 955 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 23:17

I can't believe I feel asleep with 30 minutes left. I so darn disappointed to miss the exciting finish. I know it will be replay, but want to the finish live. Darn it!!!!! :cry:

Advertisement

#1420 RacingGreen

RacingGreen

• 2,376 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:26

I can't believe I feel asleep with 30 minutes left. I so darn disappointed to miss the exciting finish. I know it will be replay, but want to the finish live. Darn it!!!!! :cry:

You missed a great finish but don't worry too much some of us will be doing it all again on the 28-30 March for round 2 of the Intercontinental GT Challenge, only next time we get to watch the guys at the brilliant Laguna Seca Raceway. Then it's off to Spa, Suzuka, and Kyalami. It's a little calendar maybe but it still covers five continents.

Unfortunately there is no published entry list for the Laguna Seca 8hr yet on the website - https://www.intercon...116/laguna-seca - but I'm sure someone will start a thread nearer the time when more information is published. 

#1421 BCM

BCM

• 1,589 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:27

It's actually closer to what the 1000 was originally. Supercars have tried to claim the event for themselves, but as a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s it was an event for all kinds of cars. That was the beauty of it. The 12hr is much closer in spirit to the original 1000.

I've never liked the Supercar series. 

#1422 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 6,340 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:37

I'll admit that the 12hr is fast becoming my preferred Bathurst event as well, even if it is over twice as long.

#1423 Peat

Peat

• 3,947 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:33

Dyo-C0u-OUc-AAZee0.jpg

This is the Bentley steering wheel (unverified, but is going around Twitter). 

Sometimes engineers need to leave certain tasks to product/industrial designers to actually think these things through. 

Why even have the kill switch on the wheel?? Have it on the dash/steering column at an arms length. 

Edited by Peat, 05 February 2019 - 12:14.

#1424 paulstevens56

paulstevens56

• 91 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:00

The thing is, the others drivers managed fine, it was only Soucek that messed up, twice, he is the only person to blame here.

The wheel would get made elsewhere, and delivered to Cosworth, tested and ready to install, it would have been designed like this by MSport with the consultation of the drivers!!  

What would you do if you were a team boss?

#1425 Peat

Peat

• 3,947 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:08

I would be having words with the drawing office manager for not having captured this in an early FMEA. Don't have a button - that makes the machine you've designed to go fast, stop dead in it's tracks - right next to one (and the same colour) as one you'll use 2-6 times per stint?

Throw Soucek under the bus if you wish, but that's like saying "But the other 2 made it over the slippery log bridge above the crocodile pit just fine!".

#1426 ANF

ANF

• 8,490 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:12

Dyo-C0u-OUc-AAZee0.jpg

Sometimes engineers need to leave certain tasks to product/industrial designers to actually think these things through. 

Why even have the kill switch on the wheel?? Have it on the dash at an arms length.

The picture is from this video, at 2:33

#1427 ANF

ANF

• 8,490 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:23

In this 2017 picture (British GT) the STOP button was a WASH button: https://www.gt-repor...110004-copy.jpg

WIPE–WASH–DRINK sounds a lot better than WIPE–STOP–DRINK.

#1428 potmotr

potmotr

• 10,689 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:50

In this 2017 picture (British GT) the STOP button was a WASH button: https://www.gt-repor...110004-copy.jpg

Perhaps it was changed because the car was accidentally washed.  :confused:

#1429 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 13,264 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:52

Great race, can't beleive all the furore about Cambell's perfectly legitimate passes. As always, the attention should be on those moving in the breaking zone, weaving, blocking and closing doors... they all see Verstappen do it. And I think bad design should be to blame at Bentley, not Soucek. The fact he was the only driver to make the mistake is not the issue here. It's the fact it was so easily done. As others have said 2019 is off to a flyer in the motorsports world, including a pretty good Monte Rally and I have to say new Gen FE... Step forward F1 to underwhelm us with its pantomime...  :cool:

#1430 DS27

DS27

• 3,247 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 20:07

Dyo-C0u-OUc-AAZee0.jpg

Why even have the kill switch on the wheel?? Have it on the dash/steering column at an arms length. 

I just don't get this situation at all - why would you risk it, especially if true that the button changed purpose since the previous year. Okay the driver was at fault by the sounds of it, but life is all about reducing human error wherever possible.

Why not build some 'safety' element in, like it has to be pressed twice within one second to activate. Hell, put a little flip up cover over it, like we have on EPO (Emergency Power Off) buttons in critical environments like Data Centre's.  

Or Bentley can go to Amazon and buy these.

20171228145132_45494.jpg

Edited by DS27, 05 February 2019 - 20:11.

#1431 ANF

ANF

• 8,490 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 20:59

I can see why WIPE and FLASH and RADIO and DRINK should be in a column of buttons that can be easily reached without taking a hand off the steering wheel. But why STOP?

And I wonder if the right thumb can hit the STOP button by accident as it's pushing PIT or WIPE...

#1432 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 759 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 00:49

Next year’s edition of the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour will revert to a three day event after expanding to four days in 2019. Organisers have also confirmed the date for the race, with its traditional weekend of January 31 to February 2 to be retained.

The Mount Panorama event will again act as the opening round of the Intercontinental GT Challenge, with a new deal confirming its place in that competition until 2021.A new initiative for 2019 was the inclusion of the Town to Track parade during the leadup to the event, which saw a number of cars driven from pit lane into the heart of the town. That too is set to return in an expanded capacity for 2020.

“Plans are already well underway for the 2020 Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour and we are pleased to once again lock in the event’s position at the beginning of the Australian motorsport calendar,” said event director Kurt Sakzewski.

“There will be three days of on-track activity which will be preceded by the return of ‘Town to Track’ which proved hugely popular this year.“We are already working with the Bathurst Regional Council to expand on the concept for next year and make it bigger and better than ever.“Our relationship with the SRO Motorsports Group has been ongoing for some time and it was natural to extend and grow that partnership.“The growth of the Intercontinental GT Challenge, presented by Pirelli, has been exciting and Bathurst has been part of it since the beginning.“Manufacturers see the value in participating in such a global series and continue to do so.

“Next year we are expecting to see new or upgraded models from McLaren, Porsche, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin at Bathurst for the first time, plus the potential of other brands yet to tackle Australia’s international endurance race making their debut.”

Bathurst Mayor, Cr Graeme Hanger, was equally enthusiastic about next year’s event.

“The reputation of this event continues to grow and the Liqui-Moly 12 Hour has established itself as a must-do event for many of the world’s major motorsport brands,” he said.

“We are ready to welcome them to both the mount as they take on the iconic circuit and into the heart of the city with the return of the Town to Track event.”

Track action for the 2020 Bathurst 12 Hour will run from January 31 – February 2, with the Town to Track parade set to take place on January 30. :clap: