Photo

Which Grands Prix were 1955 World Championship events?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:29

I was wondering which 1955 Grands Prix were originally scheduled as World Championship events, since, after the Le Mans tragedy, as many as 4 GPs were cancelled.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 17:57

My understanding is that the French, German, Swiss and Spanish GPs were cancelled, along with the Reims 12 Hours.

#3 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 18:12

My understanding is that the French, German, Swiss and Spanish GPs were cancelled, along with the Reims 12 Hours.

Thanks. That's what I found, as well. But I wonder whether those 4 Grands Prix were all part of the World Championship.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 18:38

Thanks. That's what I found, as well. But I wonder whether those 4 Grands Prix were all part of the World Championship.

As they all held Grande Épreuve status I think it's safe to assume they were. ;)

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 22:03

As they all held Grande Épreuve status I think it's safe to assume they were.;)

All four races had been World Championship rounds the previous year which confirms their Grande Épreuve status

#6 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:22

The French GP was scheduled for July 3, the German GP July 31, the Swiss GP August 21, and the Spanish GP October 23.

#7 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:53

Thanks, all, for the replies.

I gather that the Grandes Épreuves were indeed the planned World Championship-status races for 1955. But I would very much like to see some sort of confirmation of this, in the form of a published calendar or whatever.

#8 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:07

Clearly there's some doubt in your mind - can you tell us what's bothering you? Every publication I have seen describing that season says those four Grands Prix were cancelled. I can't think of a fifth cancellation, can you?

The Swiss GP never reappeared as the Swiss banned motor racing after Le Mans. There was certainly pressure from residents near the Bremgarten to introduce a ban but it could only remain an idea until Le Mans provided an excuse to introduce the legislation.

I'm not sure about the Spanish race, presumably it didn't reappear because of financial reasons. That being the case, it is feasible that they were planning to cancel the 1955 race anyway and the Le Mans accident gave them an excuse - but I have never seen that mooted in print.

#9 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 13:21

Clearly there's some doubt in your mind - can you tell us what's bothering you?

My guess is this is a possible subject for another of the thread starters 'what if' histories.

#10 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 13:45

There is an article in Autosport 3rd December 1954 looking forward to the new season it lists the world championship races as: Argentina, Belgium, Holland, Monaco, Germany, Great Britain, France, Italy, Spain. No mention of Switzerland but this may have been an error.

It reported cancellation of the Swiss GP on 24th June, the German GP on 8 July and the Spanish race on 19 August. The French Government announced a ban on all motor sport immediately after Le Mans but the Grand Prix was originally expected to be rescheduled for 21st August or 4th September and later 25th September.

#11 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 15:08

Clearly there's some doubt in your mind - can you tell us what's bothering you? Every publication I have seen describing that season says those four Grands Prix were cancelled. I can't think of a fifth cancellation, can you?

The Swiss GP never reappeared as the Swiss banned motor racing after Le Mans. There was certainly pressure from residents near the Bremgarten to introduce a ban but it could only remain an idea until Le Mans provided an excuse to introduce the legislation.

I'm not sure about the Spanish race, presumably it didn't reappear because of financial reasons. That being the case, it is feasible that they were planning to cancel the 1955 race anyway and the Le Mans accident gave them an excuse - but I have never seen that mooted in print.

From what I have gathered Bremgarten had already been indicted over its safety record in 1954 and the cancellation of the '55 race was simply made easier due to the Le Mans tragedy but apparently a ban on circuit racing in Switzerland was not finally imposed until 1957.

#12 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 15:26

Every publication I have seen describing that season says those four Grands Prix were cancelled.

That's what I've seen stated numerous times as well. And I'm fully satisfied that those 4 GPs were the only ones that were cancelled. I'm just curious whether all 4 were actually part of the pre-Le Mans tragedy World Championship schedule. I'd like to see that confirmed...

There is an article in Autosport 3rd December 1954 looking forward to the new season it lists the world championship races as: Argentina, Belgium, Holland, Monaco, Germany, Great Britain, France, Italy, Spain. No mention of Switzerland but this may have been an error.

... which it appears that you do, Roger — thanks!

So the 1955 World Championship Calendar was likely, originally:

Argentina
Belgium
Netherlands
Monaco
Indianapolis
Germany
Great Britain
France
Switzerland
Italy
Spain

My guess is this is a possible subject for another of the thread starters 'what if' histories.

It has indeed to do with my Senna versus Schumacher concept. I'm actually working on a different approach revolving around several what-ifs, together with a co-author who's likely to be well known around these parts. More on that later on te site below.

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,703 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 16:47

I've had a quick look at the Motor Sport DVD but it's not easy to search. In his Continental Notes in the August !955 edition DSJ discusses the cancellations. He mentions the difficult situation in Switzerland with the Berne authorities wanting to cancel the race and the Swiss automobile club having a document confirming their right to close the roads for a single race meeting per year etc. He includes the following " ... the Swiss authorities have cancelled their meeting in sympathy with the French ..." The key point is that he says "cancelled" which definitely suggests the GP was scheduled for 1955. And if it was scheduled it would have been a Championship qualifier.

So, I think your list is correct.

Incidentally, in addition to the German GP the Nurburgring 1000km race was also cancelled, according to Cyril Posthumus in his book on the World Sports Car Championship.

#14 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 18:42

Excellent, D-Type. Thanks!

#15 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:01

I stumbled upon this old thread, and thought I'd try to figure out the dates of the cancelled races. This is what I came up with:

• Argentina: Sunday 16 January
  • Monaco: Sunday 22 May
  • Indianapolis 500: Monday 30 May
  • Belgium: Sunday 5 June
  • Netherlands: Sunday 19 June
  • France: Sunday 3 July (cancelled)
  • Great Britain: Saturday 16 July
  • Germany: Sunday 7 August (cancelled)
  • Switzerland: Sunday 21 August (cancelled)
  • Italy: Sunday 11 September
  • Spain: Sunday 23 October (cancelled)

Does this seem right? Any evidence as to these dates?

#16 mistakenplane

mistakenplane

• 46 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:19

A little bit of diggning, mostly in Motor Sport's archive and on the web suggests:

Argentine Grand Prix (Buenos Aires) – January 16

European Grand Prix (Monaco) – May 22

Indianapolis 500 – May 30

Belgian Grand Prix (Spa) – June 5

Holland (Zandvoort)  – June 19

France (Reims) – July 3 / September 25

British Grand Prix (Aintree) – July 16

Germany (Nurburgring) – July 31

Switzerland (Bremgarten) – August 21

Italy (Monza) – September 11

Spain (Pedralbes) – October 23

France (second date) & Spain - https://www.motorspo.../matters-moment

On German and Swiss perhaps being financial as well as Le Mans-related - https://www.motorspo...ntinental-notes

German date - https://forums.autos...were-cancelled/

#17 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 11:15

Thanks, mistakenplane!

#18 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:09

Wasn't Gibraltar also planned for May?

#19 Ardmore

Ardmore

• 114 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:51

Mistakenplane's list is confirmed in this piece from the 22 April 1955 edition of The Autocar

IMG-9287-2.jpg

Advertisement

#20 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,180 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 14:48

Wasn't Gibraltar also planned for May?

No, not May. &th of Triptember.

#21 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 17:10

After suffering sunstroke, and boredom at  Aintree in 1955 I rather wished that it had been cancelled!. :lol:.

#22 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 14:44

Hold on there, sir!  That is not the correct narrative.  F1 was wonderful in the past and is only boring today.   No boring Mercedes 1-2s in those days.  Maybe the odd 1-2-3 and everyone else lapped, but who cares, taste the Castrol R!

At least i now know about Mike Sparken....

#23 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,054 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 17:01

After suffering sunstroke, and boredom at  Aintree in 1955 I rather wished that it had been cancelled!. :lol:.

You should have gone in 1961 instead.