Photo

Robin Frijns

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:40

After his highly controversial World Series by Renault championship victory in Barcelona, Robin Frijns is now back-to-back champion of the European Formula BMW, the Formula Renault 2.0 and the World Series by Renault. An incredible feat, especially if you consider that he's just 21 years old. What makes it perhaps even more remarkable is that he's one of the very few rising stars that doesn't have a rich daddy or a big sponsor behind him, nor is part of a F1 team's young drivers development programme. I think he's from a very special breed and he also has the will to win at all costs, just like some greats from the past. Although some might disagree with me on whether that's a trait or a nasty habit, I think no one disagrees with the fact that he's fast. What does the future hold for him? Discuss!

Advertisement

#2 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:55

After his highly controversial World Series by Renault championship victory in Barcelona, Robin Frijns is now back-to-back champion of the European Formula BMW, the Formula Renault 2.0 and the World Series by Renault. An incredible feat, especially if you consider that he's just 21 years old. What makes it perhaps even more remarkable is that he's one of the very few rising stars that doesn't have a rich daddy or a big sponsor behind him, nor is part of a F1 team's young drivers development programme. I think he's from a very special breed and he also has the will to win at all costs, just like some greats from the past. Although some might disagree with me on whether that's a trait or a nasty habit, I think no one disagrees with the fact that he's fast. What does the future hold for him? Discuss!

well, that sticker is not by accident on his car:
Posted Image
but I agree on the rest. looks like a great prospect, hopefully testing with red bull and sauber (?) at the YDT can open doors for him in the future, would be good fun if he were more impressive than Gutierrez :)

#3 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,332 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:55

Looks like we finally have a great Dutch talent on our hands again. Hopefully he'll be in F1 in the near future, though it's gonna be hard for him without substantial backing.

Albers, Doornbos, Van der Garde. We've had our fair share of rubbish Dutch drivers. But with Frijns and the younger Nyck de Vries, the future is looking good. :)

#4 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 14:59

Looks like he punted off Bianchi to win the 3.5 title. He's not going to come into F1 with a clean reputation if he does. Especially as Jules is already reasonably connected to Formula One establishments (Ferrari, Force India)

#5 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:00

well, that sticker is not by accident on his car:
Posted Image
but I agree on the rest. looks like a great prospect, hopefully testing with red bull and sauber (?) at the YDT can open doors for him in the future, would be good fun if he were more impressive than Gutierrez :)

True, but he's stated a couple of times that he simply can't afford to pay for an F1 seat. Motorsports is expensive and most guys have a middle-class background, but I was more hinting at the types like Nelsinho Piquet, Bruno Senna and the like. Combination of very rich families and big sponsors.

Edited by ElJefe, 21 October 2012 - 16:09.

#6 the9th

the9th

• 1,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:13

Fan support is important. As long as people talk about him in places like this, he has a fighting chance.

#7 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:13

Schumiesque

#8 the9th

the9th

• 1,582 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:17

Schumiesque

Are you saying he'll end up at Mercedes? Might happen, next year. ;) DTM. New Albers. :D
Wouldn't be too bad. It might help open a few doors.

#9 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:20

I don't watch junior series, but if he indeed punted Bianchi off then the last word surely is not said yet...?

#10 turssi

turssi

• 3,368 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:25

Looks like he punted off Bianchi to win the 3.5 title. He's not going to come into F1 with a clean reputation if he does. Especially as Jules is already reasonably connected to Formula One establishments (Ferrari, Force India)

Definitely F1 material then! ;-)

#11 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:26

I don't think DTM would be the right move. I'd rather have him in an open-wheel series and besides, I don't think that F1 teams hold DTM in such high regard anymore. GP2 is not really an option if you ask me, because that series is slowly beginning to fall in the same trap in which Formula 3000 once fell. Too much paydrivers and the cars aren't really an improvement over a WSR car. Maybe IndyCar in combination with some F1 testing? Racing in F1 next year is unrealistic I think, but he'll get there eventually.

Edited by ElJefe, 21 October 2012 - 15:28.

#12 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:27

Looks like we finally have a great Dutch talent on our hands again. Hopefully he'll be in F1 in the near future, though it's gonna be hard for him without substantial backing.

Albers, Doornbos, Van der Garde. We've had our fair share of rubbish Dutch drivers. But with Frijns and the younger Nyck de Vries, the future is looking good. :)

Frijns looks good but De Vries could be the real deal IMO, 5th in the F-Renault eurocup in his first year in cars is mighty impressive, still a long way to go but one to watch out for.

#13 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:37

I don't think DTM would be the right move. I'd rather have him in an open-wheel series and besides, I don't think that F1 teams hold DTM in such high regard anymore. GP2 is not really an option if you ask me, because that series is slowly beginning to fall in the same trap in which Formula 3000 once fell. Too much paydrivers and the cars aren't really an improvement over a WSR car. Maybe IndyCar in combination with some F1 testing? Racing in F1 next year is unrealistic I think, but he'll get there eventually.

Indycar with F1 testing is perhaps the most unrealistic option there.

I think you're underestimating GP2 and DTM a bit there. For example, if Mercedes snap him up and he wins the title like Di Resta then a seat at Force India could await. If Audi are serious about getting into F1 in 2015/16, then if he wins a DTM title with Audi, they could consider him. The GP2 grid is stronger than WSR and will continue to be, as rookies like Calado and Nasr hopefully improve and the likes of Evans and Abt enter the series. GP2 would be a massive test of Frijns' potential.

#14 EightGear

EightGear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:38

Here is the accident with Bianchi.

https://www.youtube....player_embedded

#15 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,346 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:44

I think I'm willing to give Frijns the benefit of the doubt in the sense that it looked like a move made out of panic rather than premeditation. Schumi rather than Senna-esque.

Edited by Disgrace, 21 October 2012 - 15:45.

#16 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:44

Frijns looks good but De Vries could be the real deal IMO, 5th in the F-Renault eurocup in his first year in cars is mighty impressive, still a long way to go but one to watch out for.

In the four races Lewis Hamilton contested in his first Eurocup season (2002) he was 2nd in points, Vettel was 2nd in German FBMW... etc etc. Way too early to suggest that a driver that finished 5th in the Eurocup is the real deal. In fact I don't even know if Frijns is. Or da Costa for that matter. Bianchi I gave up hope on last year already - Ferrari picked the right horse back in 2009 but he stalled real quick in development after that.

Aside from the 2009 North European 2.0 series, da Costa has won nothing yet. Sure there are a lot of F1-bound drivers out there, but frankly I don't even see where the Hülkenberg's and Di Resta's are right now (i.e. the clear title-winners).

#17 ayali

ayali

• 729 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:49

Not a big deal this incident, bit of clumsy driving
Just a racing incident, nothing premeditated there

Nice bit of karma for Bianchi though, he has been involved in more than his share of incidents throughout his career so far.

#18 aray

aray

• 5,821 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 15:56

True, but he's stated a couple of times that he simply can't afford to pay for an F1 seat. Motorsports is expensive and most guys have a middleclass background, but I was more hinting at the types like Nelsinho Piquet, Bruno Senna and the like. Combination of very rich families and big sponsors.

:rotfl:
only those from middle-class background made it to feeder seires like GP2/Fr3.5 who had backing from sponsors/team from carting days due to their talent...most are from rich to very rich families who can pay from their pocket or have corporate connections....

#19 Kyo

Kyo

• 1,313 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:04

a desperate move that paid of! :p

Advertisement

#20 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:09

Thanks.

It actually looked like his main priority was defending from the guy behind, but in doing so, found himself right there with Bianchi and at that point, you've gotta commit to it. Not a great move, but hardly the vindictive lunge I was expecting going by some people's comments.

#21 ElJefe

ElJefe

• 472 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:10

:rotfl:
only those from middle-class background made it to feeder seires like GP2/Fr3.5 who had backing from sponsors/team from carting days due to their talent...most are from rich to very rich families who can pay from their pocket or have corporate connections....

Schumacher and Hamilton aren't exactly from a very wealthy background, just to name a few.

#22 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:24

"a few"

#23 Pits

Pits

• 1,060 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 16:51

Would love to see Frijns get an F1 drive. The way he's been driving for the last three years can't be ignored.

#24 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 17:01

Would love to see Frijns get an F1 drive. The way he's been driving for the last three years can't be ignored.

Well he's certainly been getting into the spirit of things.

#25 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 17:01

Schumacher and Hamilton aren't exactly from a very wealthy background, just to name a few.

They both had Mercedes backing, in slightly different forms with Lewis also being supported by Mclaren but the point stands, Hamilton wouldn't have got anywhere near F1 if it wasn't for Merc/Mclarens money.

#26 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 17:59

Well, taking out the championship rival i.e. not giving the guy enough space in the final race of the season has a quite serious prejudice to it, Jerezgate Schumacher/Villeneuve. Since it's a very serious nature of incident in that sense I'd be very surprised if Bianchi's team decided not to appeal all the way up to get Frijns disqualified. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see this one decided in the courts.

#27 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:06

Well, taking out the championship rival i.e. not giving the guy enough space in the final race of the season has a quite serious prejudice to it, Jerezgate Schumacher/Villeneuve. Since it's a very serious nature of incident in that sense I'd be very surprised if Bianchi's team decided not to appeal all the way up to get Frijns disqualified. I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see this one decided in the courts.

He was under investigation during the race so I asume the stewards looked it it during/after the race. No action was taken as far as I know so good luck fighting that in court...

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:07

It was a sloppy move but I don't see it as malicious. I'd punish him though. Either for the crazily desperate move on Bianchi or the savagely defensive move on the guy behind.

#29 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:12

Interestingly enough Damon Hill - who has some knowledge about this kind of situation ;) - says that it was just a "racing incident" and that Bianchi should have left Robin some space according to http://www.limburger.../121029484/1321

#30 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:17

Interestingly enough Damon Hill - who has some knowledge about this kind of situation ;) - says that it was just a "racing incident" and that Bianchi should have left Robin some space according to http://www.limburger.../121029484/1321

Dutch website, not like they're going to have much bias ;) I don't think he wanted to take Jules out but he knew he had nothing to lose, if Magnussen got by the title was gone so he had to do it. Still feel slightly disappointed that it had to finish that way but i'm sure 95% of drivers would of done what Robin did, and i'm damn sure many would of just turned in on Bianchi after his turn one lunge.

Edited by olliek88, 21 October 2012 - 18:18.

#31 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:20

Dutch website, not like they're going to have much bias ;)

Of course. We may however assume that Damon is quoted correctly.

#32 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 18:44

He looks like the next big thing. Hopefully he gets a FP1 drive for someone next year.

Going to DTM or Indycar would be career suicide. If he can't get an F1 role for next year he is better off doing another year of WSR.

Edited by BigCHrome, 21 October 2012 - 18:50.

#33 ThePum

ThePum

• 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 00:31

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Amazing!

#34 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:18

And now Mercedes has kicked the battler Schumacher out after only 3 years due to his lack of sponsorship  ;)

#35 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:20

Congratulations on winning the 2012 F3.5R championship, Frijns, even if it was controversial. :clap:

Nonetheless, I'm happy he is champion. IMO he's far more promising than either Bird or Bianchi, mainly because the latter two have already lots of experience in junior formula leagues, are also older yet still haven't accomplished as much as he has - in 3 years!

Hope to see you on the grid next year, Robin! :wave:

#36 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:28

Second championship this year decided by cheating. Why doesn't the FIA do something properly and penalize these bastards properly? DQ from championship and year long ban. Won't happen again.

#37 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 15,144 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:29

They're racing for the title. "Racing".
When Bianchi passes in T1 I didn't see Frijns attempt to take him off, infact he jinked left. Looked like a driver that was trying to be fair to me. 4 corners later he had a bloody reasonable go at retaking the position. Nothing crazy about it at all - its not like he tee-boned him into a corner he wasn't going to make. Obviously sloppy journalism/forumers are going to label it "schumi-esque" but really, that's the outcome of it being the last race of the season. Has this been the first race, and had exactly the same effect on the title, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

#38 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,946 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:08

Yes. Racing. Not preventing other drivers from racing by barging them off.

#39 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:12

He will be testing the Red Bull at the young driver test in Abu Dhabi

Advertisement

#40 GotYoubyTheBalls

GotYoubyTheBalls

• 301 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:13

De Vries doesnt seem to be the real deal IMO. He has the Anthony Hamilton hype associated with him. Mitch Evans seems like the next big thing. And Daniel Ricciardo in 2 years or so.

#41 lustigson

lustigson

• 5,911 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:31

Except that Frijns was 3rd in his first full season in cars, champion in his 2nd (BMW), 3rd (Renault 2.0) and 4th seasons (Renault 3.5).

#42 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:37

Except that Frijns was 3rd in his first full season in cars, champion in his 2nd (BMW), 3rd (Renault 2.0) and 4th seasons (Renault 3.5).

yeah, but de Vries already starred in a Tooned episode.  ;)

#43 ThePum

ThePum

• 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:51

Well deserved title for Frijns. Nice to see him test for 2 teams within 2 weeks in Abu. He'll Rock the Boat!

#44 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:17

Obviously sloppy journalism/forumers are going to label it "schumi-esque" but really, that's the outcome of it being the last race of the season. Has this been the first race, and had exactly the same effect on the title, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Mm. More Capirossi-esque than Schumi-esque. Not that there aren't plenty of people who'd rather have seen the 1998 250cc bike title handled to Rossi, Harada, anyone but Loris.

Maybe even Kenny Bräck on Jörg Müller (battle of the umlauts), if memory stretches. I think to be charitable to Frijns, he'd have pulled that move on Bianchi even if he were slightly behind in the championship, rather than slightly ahead. Agree with Ensign though, this'll be another asterisked championship.

Legal query: do the race stewards actually have the power to do anything other than disqualify Frijns from the race in question? Might points deductions still be on the agenda at the Formula Renault people's next meeting?

#45 Pits

Pits

• 1,060 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:24

Frijns is the champion, he did a hell of a job this season.
Some people should stop crying about the move on Bianchi, this stuff happens in racing and should been seen seperate from the title.
Let's just celebrate this new champion and let's hope he gets a fair chance at F1 one day. :clap:

#46 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:28

Good to see the old Verstappen fans back in force.

#47 ThePum

ThePum

• 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:59

And my God what is Bianchi a cry baby man... :down:

#48 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:40

I personally think that you shouldn't be able to win a championship in such a manner

#49 kosmic33

kosmic33

• 1,826 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 17:41

When Bianchi passes in T1 I didn't see Frijns attempt to take him off, infact he jinked left. Looked like a driver that was trying to be fair to me. 4 corners later he had a bloody reasonable go at retaking the position. Nothing crazy about it at all - its not like he tee-boned him into a corner he wasn't going to make. Obviously sloppy journalism/forumers are going to label it "schumi-esque" but really, that's the outcome of it being the last race of the season. Has this been the first race, and had exactly the same effect on the title, nobody would have batted an eyelid.

If he didn't t-bone him what did he do?

Ease him out of the way?

#50 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 18:29

If he didn't t-bone him what did he do?

Ease him out of the way?

He went for a gap that existed - A quote from frankly one of the best F1 drivers of all time.

It's not like Frijns deliberately wanted to take out Bianchi. Then why did he jink out of the way and give Jules the space he needed to pass in turn 1 to begin with.