Photo

Guadeloupe GP, Puebla, Mexico?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 16:48

As posted on the main TNF Forum, does anyone have information on the organisation of this event, and the circuit used? For starters was it run in Puebla, Mexico, or Pueblo? And if so from what or where does the Guadeloupe GP name derive? Just stumbled across a reference yesterday and it has tweaked my curiosity...as these things sometimes do...

DCN

Advertisement

#2 Teapot

Teapot

• 337 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:21

As posted on the main TNF Forum, does anyone have information on the organisation of this event, and the circuit used? For starters was it run in Puebla, Mexico, or Pueblo? And if so from what or where does the Guadeloupe GP name derive? Just stumbled across a reference yesterday and it has tweaked my curiosity...as these things sometimes do...

DCN

The second of the newspaper snippets posted in the other thread says that the event was held as a fundraiser for the restoration (or construction?) of Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe Square in Mexico City.

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,903 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 13:41

Interesting. The Italian newspaper reports mention a road circuit and a 210km race of 60 laps. So a 3.5km circuit. I know the current Puebla track is recent, but there seems to have been a previous track on the site. When did that date from, I wonder?

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 14:46

Races were held on the Puebla military airfield from 1956, if not before, and a circuit of the same name was in use in the mid/late '60s