Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:20

He has had his second chance.

Will he stay in F1 and Lotus?

Advertisement

#2 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:28

No doubt 'Total' will make sure he stays.

Imo he is a danger on track and I'd sign Kamui up ASAP!

#3 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,792 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:31

I honestly have no idea, he was actually shading Kimi early then ... I dunno, he lost the plot. I don't really see anyone to replace him tbh.

#4 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:33

There are a couple of drivers who haven't been confirmed that the media and others seem to just take for granted one is Grosjean and the other is Dull Resta. Indeed due to the connections with Total I think Grosjean will be confirmed but I wouldn't be surprised to see something like Sutil/Algeursauri at Force India. Maybe both will be kept on though maybe neither I don't really know to be honest but thats the hunch I have.

#5 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:55

I'm not sure if Total would want to maintain a relationship with Groggy after the season he has had. His incidents have shaded his points scores and this is bad PR for TOTAL. They sponsor Vettel as it is so I think they might turn their attention to some other potentially good drivers... who knows??!!

#6 SUPRAF1

SUPRAF1

• 400 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:07

I missed the starting half of the race and only saw him listed as "OUT". What happened this time? :p

#7 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:16

I missed the starting half of the race and only saw him listed as "OUT". What happened this time? :p

Touched a white line, lost it (as you do), and smashed into the barrier.

#8 LHKEAT

LHKEAT

• 25 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:17

I won't be shock if he replace by new GP2 champion or others like kamui, buemi, Jamie. i believe Total will switch attention from him (a crash expert) to Charles Pic, a surviving rookie from france which no many rookie been highlighted in backmarker team and get 2nd year full drive seat after 1st rookie year) in Caterham 2013 to extend their partnership after Renault & Caterham Joint Venture together for future Sport road car. And Caterham No.1 boss being replace by Renault sport f1 top management strong man, Cyril. Total will come along with Renault way.

#9 TheF1BOB

TheF1BOB

• 441 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:17

He should be banned from Motorsport indefinitely.

#10 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:19

Hes woeful, hes had two chances and blown them both, he is quick by himsf, but his race craft is not up to Formula 1 standards.

#11 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 1,201 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:27

The team gave Petrov and Piquet another chance, I really can't see them sacking Grosjean!

#12 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:27

He frustrates me to no end, because he looks to have the goods quite often - a genuine talent and then does some mind-numbingly stupid things
I tend to think hes got to come good, but then F1 isnt a nursery is it?

#13 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 502 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:08

No doubt 'Total' will make sure he stays.

How many cars did he total this season? Four in Belgium alone, wasn't it?

#14 mich

mich

• 109 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:09

I'm not sure if Total would want to maintain a relationship with Groggy after the season he has had. His incidents have shaded his points scores and this is bad PR for TOTAL. They sponsor Vettel as it is so I think they might turn their attention to some other potentially good drivers... who knows??!!

How many cars did he total this season? Four in Belgium alone, wasn't it?

total as a verb :rotfl:
Anyway I agree this is bad PR for TOTAL. Not only him but there are many French talent deserving to support.
I think Lotus should contract Kobayashi because his "totaling" is less than the other younger's talent.
Additionally if my memory serves me correctly, Grosjean's chief engineer is Japanese isn't he? It will be good combination.

#15 mprtc

mprtc

• 249 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:10

time for him to pack up his bags

#16 ScuderiaSV1

ScuderiaSV1

• 158 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:42

If his team principle wasn't his manager.. I don't think he would have any chance for a seat at Lotus in 2013

#17 bsrf1

bsrf1

• 91 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:05

Looks like he has not learned from his mistakes even after penalized with race ban. He should watch his team mate videos to know how to avoid contact and at the same time doing hardest racing possible. He is a great talent, hope he would correct himself and given another chance

#18 tremolo

tremolo

• 87 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:06

Posted Image

#19 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:12

Hopefully he has a much better 2013 season. I think he's got it in him to impress on a consistent basis. This year was plagued not only by mistakes but also by a lot of bad luck that made things seem a lot worse.

He's a quality driver and not one that I'd like to see out of F1 because of this one difficult season.

Advertisement

#20 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:15

Hopefully he has a much better 2013 season. I think he's got it in him to impress on a consistent basis. This year was plagued not only by mistakes but also by a lot of bad luck that made things seem a lot worse.

He's a quality driver and not one that I'd like to see out of F1 because of this one difficult season.

Basically beat me to it.

I don't even think I'd call his season 'difficult'... I'd say... mixed. He was on the podium 3 times!

#21 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:19

That gif is more than a little creepy.

#22 iiMac

iiMac

• 19 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:35

... Grosjean's chief engineer is Japanese isn't he? It will be good combination.

yes, Ayao Komatsu

#23 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:38

He's an extremely talented driver so I'd hate to see him out of F1, I hope he gets another year in Lotus to prove himself.

#24 nectar

nectar

• 97 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:55

The team gave Petrov and Piquet another chance, I really can't see them sacking Grosjean!

Not if they are building a championship winning team, and i assume that's what it's all about, with Burn and possibly other sponsors onboard?

Just vision Lotus's driver line-up for next year - Raikkonen (WDC), and Grojean (a ticking bomb, conditionally fast but you never know when or how he'll do some damage which you didn't expect). It's like a dark cloud hovering over your head, keeping you worrying.
A steady hand he sure is not, and now we also know he cannot drive wet for all those spin in Brazil & in Silverstone qualifying & Malaysia rain..

Lotus said their intention is to nurture him as a long term successful winning driver, I say sometimes you have to wait, and see; sometimes you need to know when to let go instead of dragging along until fate hit you hard.

Even if Lotus is obliged to keep him, they should also be aware that Grojean's image is already hurting their team value even before 2013 season starts.

#25 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:56

i am curios actually. he crashed a lot, but boulier is his manager... on the other hand, it is Lopez who pays al the bills.

#26 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:06

He's certainly got it in him to compress on a regular basis.

#27 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:06

If they need a paydriver, go for Maldonado. He's got bigger cash, seems to have matured a bit and is at least as fast as Grosjean.

#28 Oho

Oho

• 11,838 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:34

He's an extremely talented driver so I'd hate to see him out of F1, I hope he gets another year in Lotus to prove himself.

Is he? Little doubt Grosjean is at least fast if not very fast driver but that is just one facet of talent.

#29 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,954 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:51

Posted Image

Now that - is frickin eerie :lol:

Was this from yesterday after his crash in the race?

Edited by Desdirodeabike, 26 November 2012 - 07:54.

#30 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:02

Posted Image

Lol EB looks ready to stab Grosjean from the back.

#31 motorhead

motorhead

• 1,564 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:09

It would be nice to see how the investment in Gro really paid off. He brought the money but destroyed a lot of cars + WCC points...

#32 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:10

Posted Image

LMAO :love: :rotfl:

#33 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:12

Posted Image

That is just brilliant camera work. :lol:

#34 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:45

Posted Image

When was this shot?

#35 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:47

Lol EB looks ready to stab Grosjean from the back.

LOL that's GOLD!!!

:rotfl: :lol:

#36 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:52

I'm really gutted it's gone this way. He's shown he has the pace but he's also shown he doesn't have the brains really and it's only got worse and worse.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing from being under pressure, drivers tend to be easier to calm down than speed up so it's better to be Grosjean, than say Senna who is reliable but slow. He would have a lot more potential. He really needs to start extracting it though because you don't get many second chances in F1, most drivers never get a 2nd chance at all and he already squandered his. What I'm worried about is he always had a little bit of a wild rush in him even in his feeder series successes so I'm not sure it'll ever go away. It's at an all time low though so something must be wrong in his psych.

As a fan I hope he stays but I could understand if they boot him out. Too many points lost.

#37 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:07

That is just brilliant camera work. :lol:

That camera work so deserved a BAFTA.

#38 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:09

To be honest I wouldn't be too shocked if Lopez would ditch him. He is businessman, and if we are honest, he even signed Raikkonen without Boullier knowing that. If he will think Grosjean cost him too much money (and he might, coz they ended 4th, and could finish 2-3, also he binned a shitload of cars [and money with that]).

Well he will be definetly ditched if TOTAL will back off from supporting him. Then Lopez will be like ****in NO, ENOUGH BRO, JUST ENOUGH

#39 Konsta

Konsta

• 2,876 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:10

I'm really gutted it's gone this way. He's shown he has the pace but he's also shown he doesn't have the brains really and it's only got worse and worse.

Hopefully it's just a temporary thing from being under pressure, drivers tend to be easier to calm down than speed up so it's better to be Grosjean, than say Senna who is reliable but slow. He would have a lot more potential. He really needs to start extracting it though because you don't get many second chances in F1, most drivers never get a 2nd chance at all and he already squandered his. What I'm worried about is he always had a little bit of a wild rush in him even in his feeder series successes so I'm not sure it'll ever go away. It's at an all time low though so something must be wrong in his psych.

As a fan I hope he stays but I could understand if they boot him out. Too many points lost.

RG seems like a likeable chap and very fast one to boot. Speed is something that a driver either has or hasnĀ“t - that is not a problem for him. OTOH he seems to make similar mistakes all over again - I am not sure if spatial awareness can be learnt either. A bit sorry if he is sacked.

Advertisement

#40 wonderwall

wonderwall

• 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:10

I agree. He has displayed the worse race craft I have seen in living memory, and in a great car, just imagine him in a bad car. He deserves to be given the boot despite having a raw talent. Horrific season which cost Lotus second in the wcc. A brilliant car it was.

#41 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:14

Posted Image

Scaring.

#42 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:14

Great post. :up:

#43 Spillage

Spillage

• 10,306 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:15

I honestly have no idea, he was actually shading Kimi early then ... I dunno, he lost the plot. I don't really see anyone to replace him tbh.

Agree with this :up: Not sure if it was Raikkonen improving as his comeback season went on or Grosjean's inexperience catching up with him, but he definitely faded away after some very impressive drives, particularly in Canada and Valencia - the latter of which I still believe he would've won if his car hadn't let him down. Perhaps after Spa he just struggled under the increased scrutiny and pressure, but I've been impressed enough to want to see him be given another year. If he can tune out the accidents and silly mistakes he could be a seriously good racing driver

#44 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:16

Posted Image

More than anything I'd hate to be his engineer, especially when Kimi's side have barely had a repair job all season!

Edited by Snic, 26 November 2012 - 09:17.

#45 ZZei

ZZei

• 614 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:16

We're asking the same question already after spa. He hasnt exactly showed anybody why he should stay after that. Yes he had the upper hand on quali at the start of the season but people seem to make too much out of it. It's not like he has ran away from kimi. In fact, even in Valencia he almost took kimi out at the start, totally compromising raikkonens race.

#46 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:21

Posted Image

spooky

#47 Peat

Peat

• 8,865 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23

Sorry to say, i think he's had a fair crack at it.

I am continually surprised when reminded that RG scored a few podiums this year.

#48 derstatic

derstatic

• 714 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:34

Maldonado or Kobayashi seems like good options to replace Grosjean. Kovalainen, Petrov, Glock, Alguersuari are also very good drivers who finish races. Romain is quick no doubt but now he's had two chances in F1 and turned both of them into demolishon derbies. I know he's not super experienced in F1 cars but it's not like he's 20 years old coming in straight from F3. For a 26 year old with so much experience in big formula cars, GP2 champion, double GP2 Asia champion, Auto GP champion he's wrecking way too many cars. There are unemployed drivers out there who have proved they can be quick, and finish on a regular basis. Lotus have Kimi to fight for their championship and what they need is a reliable driver to collect as many WCC points as possible for them. Grosjean doesn't really fit that description.

#49 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:36

Sorry to say, i think he's had a fair crack at it.

I am continually surprised when reminded that RG scored a few podiums this year.

If he had been less prone to making mistake he would have won a race. He has had the qualifying speed and at time good race pace. IMO he is a potential race winner which is why I feel terribly sorry for him getting into trouble. It's a waste of talent.

Kobayashi is the right person to replace him.

Edited by F1ultimate, 26 November 2012 - 09:36.

#50 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:36

After this season I would be affraid to have Total lubricants (engine oil etc.) in my car unless I want it to go Boom! That's how good Crushjean was representing this brand in F1.

Love that video with Bulier :)