Photo

Will Mercedes be Hamilton's last team or will he possibly even return to McLaren?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Mercedes be Hamilton's last team or will he possibly even return to McLaren? (234 member(s) have cast votes)

What will Lewis do after he leaves Mercedes?

1. Mercedes will be his last team (8 votes [3.43%])

Percentage of vote: 3.43%

2. He will go to other team(s) and race again for McLaren at some point (91 votes [39.06%])

Percentage of vote: 39.06%

3. He will go to other team(s) but never again race for McLaren (35 votes [15.02%])

Percentage of vote: 15.02%

4. He will go to other team(s), maybe to McLaren, maybe not (99 votes [42.49%])

Percentage of vote: 42.49%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 15:58

Lewis and McLaren have had a special partnership that came to an end yesterday. But what do you think, was yesterday really Lewis's last McLaren race?

I hope it wasn't, and I think there's a bigger chance that Lewis returns to Macca than what was e.g. after Kimi left Macca, let alone Alonso's departure. He'll now race three years for Mercedes but even after those years he'll be only 30, he'll have at least five more years in F1. I think he'll go then to the team that gives him the best offer, considering money as well as the car, with Merc as one possibility. And I'm sure McLaren is also one option for him. He didn't leave Macca like Alonso, thinking I'll never come back to this team again. And I think McLaren is Lewis's dream team, what Ferrari is to others, and that's why I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to return to Macca.

So I think he'll race at Mercedes even after this contract if they give him a good contract. But even in that case, I'm quite sure, he'll go to yet another team, I don't think he'll be at Merc for about ten years until his retirement. And I'm sure McLaren is Lewis's preferred option between equally good offers. So, I think he'll race for Macca at some point in the future.

Advertisement

#2 TheMidnight

TheMidnight

• 639 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:07

I believe he'll just go straight back to McLaren after his Merc tenure... give us that option in the poll!

#3 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,728 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:08

Ill be surprised if he stays more than 1 year at merc

#4 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:16

I think some time at Red Bull is quite likely.

#5 OnPace

OnPace

• 43 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:16

I too think that he will go straight back to McLaren after Merc and wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back as early as 2014 or 2015.

#6 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:21

I think he will go to Ferrari.

#7 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:55

Considering how bad Merc are at the moment, it's very likely that Hamilton will drive for another team in the future. He will get the leftovers to whatever team doesn't sign Vettel.

#8 MrMontecarlo

MrMontecarlo

• 546 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 16:55

After Mercedes he will go to Red Bull or back to McLaren.

#9 BigBadBless

BigBadBless

• 301 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:03

Presuming he has a career around the same length as Webber, do you really think he is going to spend NINE years in Mercedes? He'll have another team.

#10 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:06

Until we see how good or bad a car Mercedes give Lewis in the next couple of years really have no idea.
If they come up with a front running car I could see Lewis staying with them for the rest of his career however if its a dog then I would see him back with McLaren when would depend on how the two McLaren drivers perform next year.
If as I expect they tend to underperform then it may push McLaren to try to buy back the driver they know will always get maximum out of the car, if not it could be a 3 year wait or if both drivers gel and do very well perhaps McLaren will be happy to keep them on.
Too many variables to know right now but I hope to see him back there some day

#11 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:07

After he wins 6 championships in a row with Merc he may entertain offers to other teams.

Edited by SR388, 26 November 2012 - 17:08.

#12 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,839 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:14

I think he'll last a few years in an uncompetitive car then retire, having lost motivation and preferring to focus on 'being a celebrity'.

#13 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 17:39

I think he'll last a few years in an uncompetitive car then retire, having lost motivation and preferring to focus on 'being a celebrity'.

I thought Kimi would have given up after a few years to be a full time drunk.

Proved me wrong.

Hamilton's life is about racing. I will be shocked if he cuts and runs after a few bad years at a team.

#14 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,124 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:23

I personally think Hamilton will go to Ferrari after his time at Mercedes.

#15 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:33

He will go directly to McLaren is missing.

#16 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:56

I think Lewis' tenure at Merc will be a disaster. I wouldn't rule out a move to Red Bull in 2015, nor would I rule out a return to McLaren.

Then again, I also wouldn't rule out Lewis walking away from the sport. Sorry Hamilton fans, but I have question marks over his mental strength, and I find his choice of management and apparent desire to chase the showbiz lifestyle a bit of a worry.

#17 August

August

• 3,277 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:59

He will go directly to McLaren is missing.

He will go to other team(s) and race again for McLaren at some point includes that option. Unless you meant he'll somehow race for Macca already in Melbourne '13.

#18 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:01

I think Lewis' tenure at Merc will be a disaster. I wouldn't rule out a move to Red Bull in 2015, nor would I rule out a return to McLaren.

Then again, I also wouldn't rule out Lewis walking away from the sport. Sorry Hamilton fans, but I have question marks over his mental strength, and I find his choice of management and apparent desire to chase the showbiz lifestyle a bit of a worry.

An amateur psychologist.

To end his time at McLaren like he did, after a season of disaster completely out of his control, knowing that he should have taken the WDC if only a modicum of luck had gone his way, with smiles and good humour in his interview...

Yeah, fragile.

No one, not even Alonso, has driven with more consistency this season.

Edited by stanga, 26 November 2012 - 19:27.

#19 Darth Sidious

Darth Sidious

• 995 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:06

Depends on many things - whether Mercedes can be competitive and what happens to McLaren.

If Mercedes remain at the head of the midfield, and McLaren fall away from the sharp end then I can see him relocating to the USA and whooping it up with the good 'ole boys in tin tops.

If either or both Merc and Mac are fully competitive then he'll have the option to remain at Merc or return to Mac and spend a few more years in the sport. It'll be down to his choice in the end who to play for.

Too many variables/unknowables in play to make a prediction.

But my prediction is that Merc will fail, he'll return to Mac on a performance clause at the end of 2014, do two years there and then NASCAR into pensionable age.

Advertisement

#20 spacekid

spacekid

• 3,143 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:15

Another amateur psychologist.

To end his time at McLaren like he did, after a season of disaster completely out of his control, knowing that he should have taken the WDC if only a modicum of luck had gone his way, with smiles and

Yeah, fragile.

No one, not even Alonso has driven with more consistency this season.

Well yes, of course I'm an armchair fan/analyst. Aren't we all on a forum like this? I have seen signs of Hamilton looking fragile at times, I see it in some mistakes he has made on track early in his career, I saw it on track in 2011, I see it in press interviews when things aren't going his way, I saw it this year with how things fell apart with McLaren.

If next years Merc turns out to be another dog and Hamilton struggles and realises he has made a mistake I'm not sure he is the person to suck it up and cope with things. Remember when he was so desperate to prove he was superior to Jenson he tweeted his telemetry? Do I see Alonso doing things like that? Thats why I think he is fragile.

Its just my opinion.

#21 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:17

could you include a "you tell me" option too?

#22 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:20

'13 will be a tough year for both LH and Mercedes.
'14 may be a different story if Merc builds an above average V6. I've said this since his signing. I also think that is what Hamilton is banking on.
As far as returning to McLaren, well if he wins and has less headache at Merc there's no reason to go anywhere else.

#23 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,694 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:26

I just think it was the right move, he had to go somewhere and RBR and Ferrari were occupied. i can merc improving next year quite a bit before making a big push in 2014.

I cannot see RBR being there for the long haul so in 3 or 4 years he's either back at McLaren or at Ferrari to replace Fernando.

#24 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 1,285 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:34

'13 will be a tough year for both LH and Mercedes.
'14 may be a different story if Merc builds an above average V6. I've said this since his signing. I also think that is what Hamilton is banking on.

I've never understood this line of thinking. Mercedes are already using their own engine, it's not like they're shipping in 2 generation old specced lumps like the customer teams of old. And yet they have sucked, monumentally so. McLaren have been significantly ahead of them for the three years since Merc "entered", and their other customer team, Force India, have given them a run for their money at times this year.

So even if Merc make the best engine on the grid for 2014, the way things stand they'll be one of three teams using it. And at least one of the other two has a proven history of making a better chassis/ all round package. What has Hamilton got to gain from moving from the best Merc powered team, to the worst, because Merc power is not a logical explanation.

His best hope is to look good against Rosberg next year, and hope Perez faulters or Vettel moves to another team. Because unless mercedes manage to pull off a miracle with their too many heads design approach, there's absolteuly nothing to say they'll be any better in 2013, 2014, 2015..

#25 MinT

MinT

• 2,280 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:39

2 or 3 wasted seasons and then a switch to RB or Ferrari

#26 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:43

I've never understood this line of thinking. Mercedes are already using their own engine, it's not like they're shipping in 2 generation old specced lumps like the customer teams of old. And yet they have sucked, monumentally so. McLaren have been significantly ahead of them for the three years since Merc "entered", and their other customer team, Force India, have given them a run for their money at times this year.

So even if Merc make the best engine on the grid for 2014, the way things stand they'll be one of three teams using it. And at least one of the other two has a proven history of making a better chassis/ all round package. What has Hamilton got to gain from moving from the best Merc powered team, to the worst, because Merc power is not a logical explanation.

His best hope is to look good against Rosberg next year, and hope Perez faulters or Vettel moves to another team. Because unless mercedes manage to pull off a miracle with their too many heads design approach, there's absolteuly nothing to say they'll be any better in 2013, 2014, 2015..

You have your opinions and I have mine.
My money is on a world champion and a world class company that probably know a little bit more about grand prix racing than we do.

#27 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:12

You have your opinions and I have mine.
My money is on a world champion and a world class company that probably know a little bit more about grand prix racing than we do.

Do tell me what Mercedes knows more than us please.

#28 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:20

Details of what the 2013 car will look like. What if anything they have learned from this year. Information from a team of engineers. Wind tunnel research.

There is a lot I assume a F1 TEAM knows, that a dedicated fan does not.

#29 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:24

Well yes, of course I'm an armchair fan/analyst. Aren't we all on a forum like this? I have seen signs of Hamilton looking fragile at times, I see it in some mistakes he has made on track early in his career, I saw it on track in 2011, I see it in press interviews when things aren't going his way, I saw it this year with how things fell apart with McLaren.

If next years Merc turns out to be another dog and Hamilton struggles and realises he has made a mistake I'm not sure he is the person to suck it up and cope with things. Remember when he was so desperate to prove he was superior to Jenson he tweeted his telemetry? Do I see Alonso doing things like that? Thats why I think he is fragile.

Its just my opinion.

No Alonso just kicks down toilet doors when he gets beat by his teammate in qualifying

#30 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:28

I think he'll go to other teams, but not back to McLaren

#31 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:30

Details of what the 2013 car will look like. What if anything they have learned from this year. Information from a team of engineers. Wind tunnel research.

There is a lot I assume a F1 TEAM knows, that a dedicated fan does not.

Michael already said he has doubts about Mercedes ability to solve their aero woes.

This team hasn't actually proven it can fix existing problems, so how does one expect them to field a competitive car?

"We're still understanding rear tire wear." -Ross Brawn at any time over the course of 6 months.

#32 kpchelsea

kpchelsea

• 249 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:36

Michael already said he has doubts about Mercedes ability to solve their aero woes.

This team hasn't actually proven it can fix existing problems, so how does one expect them to field a competitive car?

"We're still understanding rear tire wear." -Ross Brawn at any time over the course of 6 months.

Well didn't Mercedes poach the aero design guy from Lotus?

#33 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:11

Well didn't Mercedes poach the aero design guy from Lotus?

That's all this team does...it collects high-priced talent that does nothing.

#34 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 5,339 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:21

I think he will come back to McLaren in 2015 or 2016.

#35 Stoobs

Stoobs

• 52 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 22:22

Mercedes have done nothing for the past three years, I don't really see that changing next year, but I guess there's the outside possibility with the reg changes for 2014 that Brawn and co could find another double-decker diffuser type hole, but I think that's a very slim chance.

I would presume there are performance based getouts in the contract for the first two years with a third being optional?

He could be back at Macca for 2014, especially if Sergio Pérez doesn't really work out.

#36 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:37

Mercedes have done nothing for the past three years, I don't really see that changing next year, but I guess there's the outside possibility with the reg changes for 2014 that Brawn and co could find another double-decker diffuser type hole, but I think that's a very slim chance.

I would presume there are performance based getouts in the contract for the first two years with a third being optional?

He could be back at Macca for 2014, especially if Sergio Pérez doesn't really work out.

The DDRS was supposed to be the 2012 version of the double diffuser, and look at how well that all turned out.

#37 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:49

Brawn is awful in his role at Merc. He is nothing like he was at Ferrari when with Byrne and Todt.

Merc will be like Toyota and eventually pull out of F1 after plundering hundreds of millions of dollars.

Lewis will try to do a Valentino Rossi and go back to McLaren but McLaren may not even have a vacancy. The only way I can see it happening is if Jenson gets rusty and retires or if Perez is a disappointment after two years.

Seeing as Hamilton eats tyres, I don't predict good things for him at Merc.

#38 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:08

Brawn is awful in his role at Merc. He is nothing like he was at Ferrari when with Byrne and Todt.

Merc will be like Toyota and eventually pull out of F1 after plundering hundreds of millions of dollars.

Lewis will try to do a Valentino Rossi and go back to McLaren but McLaren may not even have a vacancy. The only way I can see it happening is if Jenson gets rusty and retires or if Perez is a disappointment after two years.

Seeing as Hamilton eats tyres, I don't predict good things for him at Merc.

That's because Brawn was MrM's representative to the preferred winner at both Benetton and then Ferrari.

Who is anyone really kidding here? Brawn was MrM's machinist back in the March days. What does this knucklehead really know technically? Nothing. He's in over his head, and probably wishes MrM still was running the FIA.

#39 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:48

Surely you can't be serious?

Advertisement

#40 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:51

That's your opinion.
I'm sticking with mine.

#41 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 00:59

Surely you can't be serious?

So do tell me, what has Ross shown as a team principal going back to Honda that would make you think there is any possible turn-around in the future?

He's an incompetent jackass that knows nothing about organizational structure.

#42 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:21

I think thats a valid question, and I wonder if the answer is 'not much'.... Its not just a Mercedes problem, the team was rubbish as BAR, largely woeful as Honda, and lucked into a Championship as Brawn, there's a long tradition of huge underperformance compared to budget at Brackley, and a big manufacturer taking over a hopeless team won't improve matters. There's a long tradition of big manufacturers entering Formula 1 as team-owners and being pathetic, and nothing about Mercedes suggests they've learned from other teams mistakes.

Hopefully Lewis will move on quickly from this shambles, having shown he can take charge of his own career, then move back to McLaren, or even Red Bull if Vettel does move to Ferrari in 2014.....

#43 SB

SB

• 2,430 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:25

I guess the first question I would ask is whether Lewis will complete the three-year contract :p

#44 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 2,629 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:28

So do tell me, what has Ross shown as a team principal going back to Honda that would make you think there is any possible turn-around in the future?

He's an incompetent jackass that knows nothing about organizational structure.

Dude, he's been in F1 over 30 years.
Mercedes haven't been grand prix racing since the'50's.It takes time. 2014 is make or break for Ross. And Mercedes.
Organizational structure? Of an F1 team? Ross Brawn would run cicles around 99% of peolpe on these forums.You and me included.I'm not some huge Merc fan but, I do know that things don't happen over night.3 years in F1 is nothing.
Think about this though, if Merc continues to spin it's wheels and fall flat, you can laugh it up.But if they hit on something in'14 with the new regs well........

Edited by InSearchOfThe, 27 November 2012 - 01:29.

#45 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,593 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:31

If the start of 2013 is uncompetitive Lewis can put it down to a building year, the team would likely focus all resources on 2014 early - it's the promise of a sustained advantage under the 2014 regulations that lured Lewis.

If Mercedes are uncompetitive throughout 2014, I'd expect Lewis to be looking for a different drive.

#46 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:34

I have the feeling Lewis will jump around a few different teams on 2-3 year stints and consistently miss out on the right car at the right time.

#47 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:18

You know who was pretty rubbish from 2000-2008?

Jaguar/Red Bull.

Teams can turn the corner. And quickly. Put the right pieces in place and anything can happen.

#48 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:32

You know who was pretty rubbish from 2000-2008?

Jaguar/Red Bull.

Teams can turn the corner. And quickly. Put the right pieces in place and anything can happen.

This is true....... maybe Lewis knows something of Adrian Newey's future plans :cool: Thats the only thing that would lure most drivers from a safe seat at McLaren to the Mercedes fiasco. Newey does seem to seek out new challenges.......

#49 BoschKurve

BoschKurve

• 1,525 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:46

Dude, he's been in F1 over 30 years.
Mercedes haven't been grand prix racing since the'50's.It takes time. 2014 is make or break for Ross. And Mercedes.
Organizational structure? Of an F1 team? Ross Brawn would run cicles around 99% of peolpe on these forums.You and me included.I'm not some huge Merc fan but, I do know that things don't happen over night.3 years in F1 is nothing.
Think about this though, if Merc continues to spin it's wheels and fall flat, you can laugh it up.But if they hit on something in'14 with the new regs well........

He was a MACHINIST at March.

So what if he has been in F1 for over 30 years? What does that mean?

Ok let me explain this to you...

Honda went all in for 2009 with their car. Then they decided they were pulling out of F1. Ross steps in and buys the team for pennies on the dollar in a management buyout.

They put everything on the double diffuser. It winds up being ruled as legal for 2009. They run the table in the first half of the season...then in the second half they don't look so great when the other teams start bringing updates while BAR/Honda/Brawn bring nothing. Too late though as they win the title. Jenson Button opts not to resign and goes to McLaren. Sort of interesting how he wins a championship, but doesn't want to stay. Cue DrZ and Daimler. They buy the team for over 100 million...which is a bargain since they think they are getting a worldbeating team for a fraction of the cost it would take to do it on there own.

What have we gotten since 2010?

Nothing.

Just vague promises about how the team expects to be challenging by year 3. Year 3 rolls around, and the team hits the lotto in Shanghai, then proceeds to **** the bed for the rest of the season. They can't find a single meaningful update...and do not bring a single update from late May till the end of September. Even with updates the car remains a piece of crap. Ross tells everyone how they are attempting to "understand" things and success is right around the corner. Yet this never happens. Oh, they also bring in a bunch of big names who proceed to do nothing either.

Now we've got people saying, "Oh just wait till 2014."

Are you for real with this?

The Ross said they would be challenging for the title in 2012...all they've got to show for 3 years is a lone race victory when there was a tire lottery.

This team is an absolute con job.

Ross has never done anything as team principal. He has no technical background. He's an idiot.

#50 loki0420

loki0420

• 997 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:58

By the time he realizes his mistake of switching to Mercedes which would be somewhere in the middle of 2014 he will go straight back.