Webber: "Newey never stops, he is always striving to do better"

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:47

Webber hails design guru Newey - PlanetF1

Red Bull secured their first titles back in 2010, winning both the Constructors' and Drivers' Championships, a feat they have now repeated three years running.

It is a widely-held opinion that Red Bull owe much of their success to their British designer with Ferrari's Fernando Alonso going as far as to say "we are not fighting against Sebastian only, we are also fighting against Newey."

The Spaniard, though, is not the only one appreciating Newey's worth to Red Bull.

"Newey always sees the big picture, he understands what is required of the car, the tyres, the drivers and one of his strengths is that he listens to the drivers," Webber told f1news.ru

"Newey never stops, he is always striving to do better.

"After the race if we do not finish first and second he is already thinking about what could be added at the next grand prix.

"He always has ideas. Newey knows that success depends on a number of factors that combine to make the car faster. He always develop the car as a whole."

it all might be done in innocent intent, or mayve webber is playing the same game as Alonso and Hamilton in saying " it was the car you damn fools". Perhaps to rattle Seb a bit.

in any case, we're lucky to have an Race Car engineer who has risen to Rockstar level and as an Engineer myself, i feel proud for that, Because almost all the times, the people behind the Cars are overlooked. In this day and age of CFD sims, it's nice to see old approach still paying dividend.

Edited by eronrules, 03 December 2012 - 19:04.

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,733 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:52

If that were true then it doesn't put him in a very good light considering his relative lack of success in the same car. I think your just reading too much into it.

#3 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:55

it all might be done in innocent intent, but somehow i feel like webber is playing the same game as Alonso and Hamilton in saying " it was the car you damn fools". Maybe to rattle Seb a bit.

Makes perfect sense as it would reflect so well on his own abilities, right?

Edited by LiJu914, 03 December 2012 - 18:56.

#4 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 298 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:56

Webber hails design guru Newey - PlanetF1

it all might be done in innocent intent, but somehow i feel like webber is playing the same game as Alonso and Hamilton in saying " it was the car you damn fools". Maybe to rattle Seb a bit.

And you are still thinking that it was all Vettel mighty powers ? Lol ...

#5 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,743 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:56

It suits Red Bull to have Adrian Newey hailed as some otherworldly genius. It's good for their marketing profile to be seen as a place for maverick individual genius talents. And every news story about Newey's latest trick is a news story not about the metric shit-ton of money they've spent to get where they are.

#6 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:57

Webber just respect Newey, there is nothing wrong with it.
Paranoia is not good for you boys!

#7 P123

P123

• 23,937 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 18:57

He was in the same car so not sure he could play the same game not matter how hard he may try!

Vettel isn't facing anything different than the likes of the other Newey champs did- such as Mansell, Hill, JV and Hakkinen. For the latter 3 it was all Newey v Schumacher; they rarely received much credit. Mika does with hindsight, only after it was accepted that MS had a healthy respect for him and he was therefore ok to like.

#8 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:00

He was in the same car so not sure he could play the same game not matter how hard he may try!

Vettel isn't facing anything different than the likes of the other Newey champs did- such as Mansell, Hill, JV and Hakkinen. For the latter 3 it was all Newey v Schumacher; they rarely received much credit. Mika does with hindsight, only after it was accepted that MS had a healthy respect for him and he was therefore ok to like.

Mansell, Hill, Jv yes, because it was an era dominated by introduction to electronics, reactive suspension, TC etc, but not in the case of Hakkinen, he fought hand over fist with michael.

#9 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:03

I would imagine Webber is sincere - after all, he too had success via a RBR car. But both he and Seb have recognized that it is not all down to Newey before (i.e., many engineers and development personnel are crucial to the overall success), so this was probably a conversation specifically about Newey.

Alonso was just playing mind games...which failed miserably. He and Ferrari reached into their bag of tricks this season - as Seb mentioned - and tried everything to distract and/or detract real points from Seb's championship campaign. In a way it is a tribute to Seb's prowess, but it looked bad on them. This was another example of that - extolling the virtues of Newey in order to get to Sebastian. The result was pure fail.

#10 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:03

Mansell, Hill, Jv yes, because it was an era dominated by introduction to electronics, reactive suspension, TC etc, but not in the case of Hakkinen, he fought hand over fist with michael.

That only applied to Mansell. And it´s active suspension btw.

#11 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,164 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:06

yes-yes, Häkkinen is so special :rolleyes:

#12 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:07

Well at least the best of all the guys mentioned.

#13 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:21

So Webber has an agenda for describing Newey as a genius?

Because *nobody* ever does that, right?

:well:

#14 SvenF1

SvenF1

• 145 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:26

You do know Newey doesn't do electronics, he does aerodynamics. The cars Häkkinen won his championships were far superior in terms of downforce and drag compared to competition.

#15 sniper80

sniper80

• 1,954 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:26

I would love to see Schumacher & Hakkinen in their prime in current F1.
I think they would wipe Vettel's & Alonso's *sses :clap:

#16 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 19:37

Webber should know better. Newey had nothing to do with the championships, It was purely Vettel's brillance. that put the cars there. Remember the first half of the season.

Webber must get with the program already ;)

#17 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 4,542 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:05

I would love to see Schumacher & Hakkinen in their prime in current F1.
I think they would wipe Vettel's & Alonso's *sses :clap:

IF that happened, I would favor Schumacher at the top with the other three fighting it off.

#18 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,671 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:34

And this era has been dominated by flexi-wings, ride height adjusters and dodgy blown exhaust systems. Different time, different tricks.

#19 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:34

It seems Webber is talking about Newey's record in developing the car this year. Basically went from a decent also-ran to a race winner. Clearly just straight-forward praise for someone who earned it. Nothing more.

Edited by Craven Morehead, 04 December 2012 - 05:34.

Advertisement

#20 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,205 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:46

It seems Webber is talking about Newey's record in developing the car this year. Basically went from a decent also-ran to a race winner. Clearly just straight-forward praise for someone who earned it. Nothing more.

Sshh, you'll upset some here with the implication that the RB8 was actually not that good at the start of the year. :cat:

... And every news story about Newey's latest trick is a news story not about the metric shit-ton of money they've spent to get where they are.

Is that a scientific term? :p

#21 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:17

Mark pretty much says it as it is. Yesterday the show with him was great, wished they had me given the chance to watch it without the German translation as something always gets lost and sometimes I heard it did.

#22 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:38

Clearly just straight-forward praise for someone who earned it. Nothing more.

Thats all I see it as.
Just credit to somebody who works hard and is good at his job.
And let us not forget that Webber won two "big ticket" races of Monaco and Silverstone this year, so its not like he will be thinking he got nothing whatsoever out of this years car either.

#23 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:44

+1