• 6,360 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 13:57

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/104720

Advertisement

#2 BrokenBaculum

BrokenBaculum

• 257 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:09

This is the guy who made an attempt to buy Liverpool F.C. in 2010. Anyway, that's not relevant.

I really can't see the point of another F1-grade circuit in Malaysia. Sepang is one of Tilke's best works, and provides good racing and unpredictable weather. Cannot understand why it would be so close to Singapore too.

This will be dead in the water in a few months.

#3 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 1,073 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:24

Not necessary.

If this guy is so interested in throwing his money away, why not offer to pay half of all tickets sold to the existing Malaysian GP for next year?

At least that way the grandstands will be teeming with people.

Do a kindness, eccentric billionaire.

#4 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:33

This is the guy who made an attempt to buy Liverpool F.C. in 2010. Anyway, that's not relevant.

I really can't see the point of another F1-grade circuit in Malaysia. Sepang is one of Tilke's best works, and provides good racing and unpredictable weather. Cannot understand why it would be so close to Singapore too.

This will be dead in the water in a few months.

Iskandar Development Region, where the Singaporean billionaire has proposed to site the F-1 grade circuit, is just 5mins away from Singapore by highway and the 2nd link (bridge connecting Singapore and Malaysia). Sepang is 4hrs away by car.

My guess is that the circuit will be used mostly to host events by Singaporean promoters. As far as I know, Singapore does not have a proper racing circuit, so it's a win-win situation for all parties - Singaporeans and Malaysians.

#5 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,551 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:33

Building it so close to Singapore could be the point. Maybe he's planning for Singapore no longer wanting a street circuit and moving the race there.

#6 sesku

sesku

• 289 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:51

The track is not for F1 purpose but more for public use I think. Singapore lack of suitable road for Singapore super car owner to drive, the closest race track is Pasir Gudang Circuit but the track is not well maintained. So having a good quality race track close to the island is a convenient. Beside that, if someday Malaysia and Singapore decide to co-host a Grand Prix, this track might come in handy.

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 14:52

It'll be useful for MotoGP's inevitable second Malaysia race.

#8 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:36

It'll be useful for MotoGP's inevitable second Malaysia race.

There's definitely talk going round of a second Malaysian race. I just hope Tilke doesn't design the circuit. He won't be able to make another one that is as good as Sepang.

#9 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,730 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 15:59

There's definitely talk going round of a second Malaysian race. I just hope Tilke doesn't design the circuit. He won't be able to make another one that is as good as Sepang.

I dunno. Give him an attractive plot of land, and the brief that he's designing a real circuit, with shorter straights and constant radius bends replacing the hairpins, and he might do something good.

#10 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 16:04

I dunno. Give him an attractive plot of land, and the brief that he's designing a real circuit, with shorter straights and constant radius bends replacing the hairpins, and he might do something good.

I'd get Kevin Schwantz, Randy Mamola and Valentino Rossi together around a table, give them some pencils and see what they come up with.

#11 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:35

I'd get Kevin Schwantz, Randy Mamola and Valentino Rossi together around a table, give them some pencils and see what they come up with.

+1 :up:

Sepang might be a good track for F1, but there are quite a few complaints from MotoGP greats, most notably Mick Doohan. Of course you can't please everyone, but my take is that Sepang is too wide for MotoGP to make it into a challenging circuit.