Photo

Racing Comments subforums

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 16:45

Presumably this is something that's occurred to the powers that be, but on the off chance it hasn't, I propose some subforums to Racing Comments.

Principally, navigation would look like this: the main page, with all the forums (Feeback, RC, Paddock Club, etc.) wouldn't change. Once you go into Racing Comments, though, we have a few subforums at the top of the page.

• Official 2013 Driver threads
  • Official 2013 Team threads
  • Official 2013 Season threads
  • Official 2013 Scorecoards

This I propose for a few reasons:

• Ease of reading: any official, marathon sort of threads have their own subsection. All unrelated and one-off threads stay where they are now (threads like "The Great Formula One Photographs", "Countdown to Australia 2013", "FIA scrap 2014 bodywork changes" etc. will stay as they are).
  • This will give plenty of exposure to less-popular threads, like the Official Kovalainen Thread or the Official Marussia thread. It won't be buried 6 pages into the forum after just a few particularly exciting and newsworthy days in the world of racing.
  • It will stop people from posting things relevant to a driver in the team's thread, simply because they can't find the driver's thread.
  • All official threads could be created by mods to maintain uniformity (so we don't have the first 3 threads be something like "2013 Lewis Hamilton" then "Official Button thread for 2013" then "ALGUERSAURUS!". It would all look clean and spiffy and easy to read.
  • People who put in a lot of work to update lesser-known series (like some of the Argentinian series Repco von Brabham posts about occasionally) will get more viewers. A thread about a South American touring car season will never be far from the top in "Official 2013 Season threads", instead of 14 pages deep in Racing Comments as it is now.
  • It will (hopefully) encourage people to share more obscure things. You may want to make a thread about a local or junior driver, but shy away from it because it would look silly if you made an Official Driver thread for some leadfoot no one's ever heard of and his thread's just sitting there ignored while Lewis Hamilton's gets bumped 100 times every day. But now you have an entire section devoted specifically to driver's threads, and it doesn't take much imagination to see how it could become one of the more interesting parts of this forum once we start getting a good few threads dedicated to intriguing drivers. The same would go for lesser-known series. How awesome would it be if you find some crazy new series to follow solely because someone thought "Well, that section is begging for something new to talk about, so I'll make a thread about the awesomeness that is Figure 8 Bus Racing".

As I said, this forum's been around long enough that something like this is bound to have been proposed in the past and not used for whatever reason, but I've thought briefly nearly every time I've been on here in the past year that the place might be a bit more easy and fun to peruse if it was organized something like this. Can you think of any more sub-sections it might be useful to have? Official track threads, for news about certain venues? Any reasons for or against this? General thoughts?

Advertisement

#2 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,497 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:03

Who actually reads the driver/team threads?

#3 AvranaKern

AvranaKern

• 6,409 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:11

I have been using "View New Posts" feature, so I haven't had the need of a sub-forum or re-organization. I do however detest capslock shouting at thread titles and do welcome some standard at them. Sub-forums idea sounds like they would create extra job for mods who would have to move more threads opened at more wrong places.

#4 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 17:20

Who actually reads the driver/team threads?

Not me if they were tucked away neatly under the rug in the corner :D. But they seem popular enough it's a shame every time someone updates a thread with what Alonso had for breakfast, another thread gets sent to the 2nd page.

#5 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:07

Another thing, if we cannot separate different race series into other sub forums (which would be ideal), please could we at least adapt a rule that you have to put a short sign [] before the thread title. Like

[F1] Australian GP Qualifying
[F1] Ecclestone wants turbo laser batteries installed
[F1] Is this the greatest season ever blaa blaa blaa
[NASCAR] Talladega weekend 2012
[ALMS] ALMS 2012 season
[F1] Perez misses Mexico and his pet rabbit
[IndyCar] Mid-Ohio
[Le Mans] New regulations released
[GP2] Driver X joins team Whatever
[F1] Should something be done about something

It's really not that hard. Currently viewing the forum is a massive headache for people who don't care about the 500,000 different F1 threads and have to navigate their way through

Edited by SonnyViceR, 07 December 2012 - 09:11.

#6 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope

• 7,911 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 00:45

Tags would be a good idea as well. And just killing vague thread titles generally.

#7 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 22:02

And anyone putting "official" in the thread title should be instant forum-banned. :smoking:

#8 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,246 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 18:45

And anyone putting "official" in the thread title should be instant forum-banned. :smoking:

:eek: How would anyone be able to discuss Indycar?

Edited by Disgrace, 14 December 2012 - 18:45.