Photo

How do the (male) drivers cope with such little legroom (width)?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 19:49

The cars are so thin these days that driver's legs are squashed right together.

Now I assume that I am like most guys in preferring to spread my legs when sitting down. It is simply not comfortable to have them squashed together for long periods of time.

I know that a driver's legs are moving much of the time but in such restricted quarters, that sounds to me like an even worse experience! :eek: It might result in a testicular tortion or something.

Am I the only one thinking this? Maybe some of you have raced very narrow cars and can comment? Because to me it seems like sheer hell. Do they wear some kind of jock strap or box perhaps to alleviate this problem?

Advertisement

#2 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,040 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:02

אני לא מאמין בחרא הזה
Jp

#3 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:03

אני לא מאמין בחרא הזה
Jp

hahahahaha

#4 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:03

I could imagine that would kinda suck though. I'm sure its the same as flying on an airplane. Ugh.

#5 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:06

You would severely batter your legs if you had them very far apart while driving a modern high-downforce car - Why do you think F1 drivers wear knee=pads?

#6 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:07

Am I the only one thinking this? Maybe some of you have raced very narrow cars and can comment?

Not a massive amount of experience, but I have taken to the track a bunch of times in various Formula cars (including F1) and I have to say that its really not the problem you think it is.

#7 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,606 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:07

Really unless you are anatomically well out of keeping with what is average or have some medical condition it wouldn't be much of an issue.

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 20:08

Your legs get quite a workout, you don't have to worry about being still for too long...

#9 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,790 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 21:15

אני לא מאמין בחרא הזה
Jp

The answer for your thread, finally! :)

#10 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 21:27

Now I assume that I am like most guys in preferring to spread my legs when sitting down. It is simply not comfortable to have them squashed together for long periods of time.

I know that a driver's legs are moving much of the time but in such restricted quarters, that sounds to me like an even worse experience! :eek: It might result in a testicular tortion or something.

Am I the only one thinking this? Maybe some of you have raced very narrow cars and can comment? Because to me it seems like sheer hell. Do they wear some kind of jock strap or box perhaps to alleviate this problem?

You could have found a simpler way of telling us you have big balls?

#11 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 4,182 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 21:34

F1 is a jockey sport. Mark Webber and Robert Kubica have very much been exceptions to the rule.

#12 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 22:44

I think OP is trying to impress the female members of the forum :lol:

#13 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:01

F1 is a jockey sport. Mark Webber and Robert Kubica have very much been exceptions to the rule.

And Eddie Cheever. Many times I saw his helmet looking down rather than straight, I used to think it was the engineers refusing to lower his seat on purpose.
Alain Prost aparently had the perfect size.

#14 SpartanChas

SpartanChas

• 910 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:17

I'd be more worried sitting on the grid as the lights are coming on and realising my stuff is in a less than comfortable position.

'GUYS WE HAVE TO RETIRE THE CAR!'

Edited by SpartanChas, 14 December 2012 - 23:18.

#15 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 23:54

And Eddie Cheever. Many times I saw his helmet looking down rather than straight, I used to think it was the engineers refusing to lower his seat on purpose.
Alain Prost aparently had the perfect size.

every time i see kamui kobayashi in the car head on (specially in singapore in the dreaded 'singapore sling' T10), he seemed to peer out of the cockpit as if he can't see the front, and being similar to his height, i sometime wonder if i could see anything out of the cockpit myself. (still remember my driving lessons :smoking: )

now it would be interesting if a team have MW and kamui kobayashi, it'd be a nightmare designing the tub :p

Edited by eronrules, 15 December 2012 - 00:03.

#16 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,980 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:07

Well on this forum we're always reading comments about how the current generation of drivers have no balls. Maybe that's it.

#17 Anja

Anja

• 10,284 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:21

Well on this forum we're always reading comments about how the current generation of drivers have no balls. Maybe that's it.

Spot on :lol:

#18 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,980 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:24

every time i see kamui kobayashi in the car head on (specially in singapore in the dreaded 'singapore sling' T10), he seemed to peer out of the cockpit as if he can't see the front, and being similar to his height, i sometime wonder if i could see anything out of the cockpit myself. (still remember my driving lessons :smoking: )

now it would be interesting if a team have MW and kamui kobayashi, it'd be a nightmare designing the tub :p

Search for the beginning part of the 1996 season review. At the Tyrrell launch, Ukyo Katayama sits in the car, but it has Mika Salo's seat installed...

#19 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 00:34

Believe me, you aren't thinking of your tackle and leg room when youre holding onto a race car around corners at speed, its the last thing on your mind actually.

Advertisement

#20 denizen

denizen

• 19 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:35

I suspect John McGuinness could give you a vivid description of the possible consequences - though he was on a bike so no seatbelts were involved . . .!

http://www.visordown...uble/18244.html

#21 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:48

I suspect John McGuinness could give you a vivid description of the possible consequences - though he was on a bike so no seatbelts were involved . . .!

McGuinness, Monster helmet in hand...

:rotfl:

I would want to put it in my hand on it after all that chaffing...

TBH I've had numb nuts after too long on a bike. I'm surprised more drivers don't go off and adjust it for a few minutes first thing out of the car, but maybe the non podium getters do. :stoned:

#22 BillyWhizz

BillyWhizz

• 850 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:09

You may get the JP special award for absurdity for staring this thread.

אני לא מאמין בחרא הזה
Jp

:up:

Holy ****!!! :eek:

#23 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:17

אני לא מאמין בחרא הזה
Jp

10 pts.

#24 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:20

Yo Why do you think F1 drivers wear knee=pads?

.. and does one notice that a few only use one - which means they're probably knocking their knees together.

#25 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 18:41

אני לא מאמין בחרא הזה
Jp

:confused:
I'm stupid. I didn't get the joke everybody is praising you for

:cry: :blush:

#26 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,980 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 19:14

:confused:
I'm stupid. I didn't get the joke everybody is praising you for

:cry: :blush:

Using Google translate with auto-detect says it's Hebrew for "I do not believe that s**t"

Not sure why it's so funny though. Some sort of Jewish conspiracy on this forum? :p

#27 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,040 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 20:09

Not sure why it's so funny though. Some sort of Jewish conspiracy on this forum? :p

One would have needed to be around here a long time to 'get it'
Anyway, מצחיק? מה אתה יודע מצחיקfrom
Jp

#28 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:10

Rosberg, Button, Hulkenberg are not short neither is Vettel. Only jockey is Felipe.

#29 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,128 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:22

How many times have you seen a direct shot of a driver getting into the car? That should be smth we could see, right!?

I've seen one shot once. It was Hamilton. He took his D&B in his hand and lifted before putting his legs together and sitting down.

Maybe that's how they do it.

#30 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:26

Anyway, מצחיק? מה אתה יודע מצחיקfrom
Jp

:lol: :lol:

#31 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:35

How many times have you seen a direct shot of a driver getting into the car? That should be smth we could see, right!?

I've seen one shot once. It was Hamilton. He took his D&B in his hand and lifted before putting his legs together and sitting down.

Maybe that's how they do it.

You do that to get 'into position' because there are two belts that come from underneath your legs and around your thigh by your groin. They sit in either side of that V

#32 rijole1

rijole1

• 633 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 00:46

I think OP is trying to impress the female members of the forum :lol:

I'm impressed.
And also worried. One more negative effect of industrialization, which could affect fertility rate

#33 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:17

You would severely batter your legs if you had them very far apart while driving a modern high-downforce car - Why do you think F1 drivers wear knee=pads?

Funfact: it was David Coulthard who introduces them somewhere in the end of the ninetees.

#34 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 13:07

I've seen several shots of the guys getting into the car and the first thing they do is grab hold and adjust. My guess would be that, ironically, the harness offers some measure of support. Of course, my imagination isn't the greatest, being that as a girl my experience with crotch straps is rather different.

As for the knee pads, I notice that Mark wears one (with the Australian flag on it, hurrah!), but I always figured that was for his leg. I remember him and DC having a discussion on-camera a few years back about how Newey makes his tubs very tight, even for narrow-hipped guys like Mark.

#35 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:48

Sitting knees together may be a real problem for fat guys, but others spread their legs just to make girls think they have something big there.

#36 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,040 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:29

私はこのゴミを信じていない
Jp

#37 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:49

Forgive my bad hebrew

האם טוב לכבוש שטח קטן, ולכן שני אלה חייבים להיות בסדר

:lol:

Edited by ViMaMo, 17 December 2012 - 08:51.

#38 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:59

i'm 6'1" and 210lbs / 15 stone (185cm and 95kg) with broad shoulders and beefy thighs. i drove a formula ford car for the first time on saturday and was surprised at how comfortable it was once i settled in. the anti-submarining belt ross mentioned is a bit awkward at first but i think it actually helps with room downstairs if anything. you've got to remember you're sitting back rather than up and both your legs are moving all the time - it's not like you're sitting still and upright in an office chair, which i struggle with in terms of *ahem* comfort.

Edited by repcobrabham, 17 December 2012 - 11:00.

#39 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:48

They borrow Flavio's.

Advertisement

#40 CSquared

CSquared

• 674 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 21:36

Believe me, you aren't thinking of your tackle and leg room when youre holding onto a race car around corners at speed, its the last thing on your mind actually.

When something among all those straps, buckles, layers of fireproof clothing, and fleshy bits in that tight space isn't in the perfect position and the first time you turn into a right-hander something starts to get pinched, you notice mighty fast, believe me.

#41 Rubens Hakkamacher

Rubens Hakkamacher

• 1,567 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 15:20

私はこのゴミを信じていない
Jp

私のホバークラフトは、あまりにも、ウナギがいっぱいで

#42 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 15:34

Watch the drivers get into the cars when you can. Quick cup of the baubels on the way down and hey presto, you're in.

#43 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 16:14

i'm 6'1" and 210lbs / 15 stone (185cm and 95kg) with broad shoulders and beefy thighs. i drove a formula ford car for the first time on saturday and was surprised at how comfortable it was once i settled in. the anti-submarining belt ross mentioned is a bit awkward at first but i think it actually helps with room downstairs if anything. you've got to remember you're sitting back rather than up and both your legs are moving all the time - it's not like you're sitting still and upright in an office chair, which i struggle with in terms of *ahem* comfort.

Good for you, I envy you. They didn't let me sit in MS's spare Benetton in '96 during the pitwalk, They just smiled and wagged their finger at me. I'm 6'4" 92kg. I nearly cried, really.

#44 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:52

hah, that would've been a far greater honour! but i'm not surprised they said no. given your height compared to schumi's compact dimensions, i doubt you'd have fitted in anyway. i think you might be too tall for a FF car too, sadly.

the closest i got to an F1 car was when i was given a tour of the williams garage before the '03 british GP. peter phillips was on their marketing team and cussed me out when i thought i was reaching into my bag for my camera, when i fact i was getting my prescription glasses for a closer look at the aero. i took great delight in correcting him and adding 'dude' as punctuation. that might've been a treason charge once.

#45 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:03

They didn't let me sit in MS's spare Benetton in '96 during the pitwalk.

<pedant> I'm not surprised seeing as it didn't exist. MS had left Benetton in 96. </pedant>

I sat in his 94 car at Enstone (in 1996 funnily enough) and was probably about 6ft back then. It was pretty tight, my knees jammed into the top of the tub. No chance for a 6"4'er.

#46 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:34

<pedant> I'm not surprised seeing as it didn't exist. MS had left Benetton in 96. </pedant>

I sat in his 94 car at Enstone (in 1996 funnily enough) and was probably about 6ft back then. It was pretty tight, my knees jammed into the top of the tub. No chance for a 6"4'er.

Well, I assume(d) it was the spare, There were three cars in the garage, the two race cars and this, which was tolled out before it. It did not look any different either.-And, there was one spare back then.(yes, for the two drivers, of course)

#47 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:28

<despairingpedant> Yes, i'm not denying the existence of a spare car/T-Car. I'm saying that MS would not have had a spare car at Benetton in 1996 because he was at Ferrari. 96 was Berger/Alesi. Ya dig? </despairingpedant>

#48 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:53

<despairingpedant> Yes, i'm not denying the existence of a spare car/T-Car. I'm saying that MS would not have had a spare car at Benetton in 1996 because he was at Ferrari. 96 was Berger/Alesi. Ya dig? </despairingpedant>

LOL. I get it. my bad, its '94. was a Sanyo paddock guest. :blush: