Where does the money come from to pay for Hamilton? [split]

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 120 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12

Im just wondering . .

Ok, the speculation is that LH is gonna be paid something in the region of $20mil per year - from Mercedes.

Now, I know that they (Merc) were footing half his salary at Macca anyways, but . . does anyone have an idea where the extra 10mil comes from?

For a team (Merc) that hasnt particularly done well in the last number of years, where would they find an extra 10mil per annum for one (1) of its employees

I know its not a lot of money in F1 terms, but plucking 10mil out of the sky cant be that easy, especially when youre not winning??

Advertisement

#2 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:32

Im just wondering . .

Ok, the speculation is that LH is gonna be paid something in the region of $20mil per year - from Mercedes.

Now, I know that they (Merc) were footing half his salary at Macca anyways, but . . does anyone have an idea where the extra 10mil comes from?

For a team (Merc) that hasnt particularly done well in the last number of years, where would they find an extra 10mil per annum for one (1) of its employees

I know its not a lot of money in F1 terms, but plucking 10mil out of the sky cant be that easy, especially when youre not winning??

They sell a lot of cars.

#3 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:08

They sell a lot of cars.

Yeah. Daimler AG made more than 5 billion euros in profit in 2011 and are also sponsored by Petronas that makes 10-20 billion in profit every years. So footing 10 million to have one of the best F1 driver's on the grid isn't a hard one to swallow - especially if you get to perv on Nicole Scherzinger whenever she will be around to support her hubby.

Lewis has made a really good decision given the financial caliber of the team and their keenness to support Lewis with a team of top F1 talent. I can almost smell another 2011 around the corner given the commitment Merc has to 2014. Given how calm Lewis is and the fact that he is also hyping up 2014 indicates that he has seen things we don't know about. After all he would unlikely have signed with the team because of recent performance.

#4 TheSpecialOne

TheSpecialOne

• 105 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:40

Im just wondering . .

Schumacher has left, so surely his lack of salary, plus the cash they were footing to mclaren makes the difference probably pretty negligible. They're effectively paying for one expensive driver rather than two normal salaries (schumachers and a bit of hamiltons).

#5 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:48

Yeah. Daimler AG made more than 5 billion euros in profit in 2011 and are also sponsored by Petronas that makes 10-20 billion in profit every years. So footing 10 million to have one of the best F1 driver's on the grid isn't a hard one to swallow - especially if you get to perv on Nicole Scherzinger whenever she will be around to support her hubby.

Lewis has made a really good decision given the financial caliber of the team and their keenness to support Lewis with a team of top F1 talent. I can almost smell another 2011 around the corner given the commitment Merc has to 2014. Given how calm Lewis is and the fact that he is also hyping up 2014 indicates that he has seen things we don't know about. After all he would unlikely have signed with the team because of recent performance.

Signing for a team based on a 2014 promise\prediction is just as stupid. Doesn't matter what they show him or what they say are the plans, there is no guarantee of anything transforming into performance and none of the other teams will be sitting still.

#6 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:56

Im just wondering . .

Simple- they no longer pay Schumacher. Hamilton is a replacement, not an addition.

#7 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:02

Signing for a team based on a 2014 promise\prediction is just as stupid. Doesn't matter what they show him or what they say are the plans, there is no guarantee of anything transforming into performance and none of the other teams will be sitting still.

True but signing a long term contract on your perception of long term potential rather than just which car will probably be quickest next year has a certain logic to it.

#8 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 626 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:13

Indeed. And even if they showed him something technical, he wouldnt understand anyway. Driver =\= engineer. The most they could have said was "we PREDICT x amount of more downforce, and a super duper engine in 2014!".

#9 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:28

There is no guarantee anywhere, about anything. On the other hand everything entails a prediction. If he'd stayed at Mac THAT would have entailed a prediction, with no guarantee.

#10 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:42

There is no guarantee anywhere, about anything. On the other hand everything entails a prediction. If he'd stayed at Mac THAT would have entailed a prediction, with no guarantee.

True enough, but at least with Mac there is a pedigree and past performance that shows they are more likely to be there in the mix.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,736 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:46

True but signing a long term contract on your perception of long term potential rather than just which car will probably be quickest next year has a certain logic to it.

Don't disagree with the logic, but it has to come with fingers firmly crossed rather than knowledge of something good to come.

#12 P123

P123

• 23,938 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:51

On topic- Simple- they no longer pay Schumacher. Hamilton is a replacement, not an addition.

close topic...  ;)

#13 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:54

On topic- Simple- they no longer pay Schumacher. Hamilton is a replacement, not an addition.

close topic... ;)

Quoting yourself is the first sign of Internet Addiction. It could have been worse, you could argued with yourself. :D

#14 SunnyENTP

SunnyENTP

• 717 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:55

I think they get their money from lottery funding or public donations. I cant think of any other way Mercedes would get the money to fund F1.

#15 PassWind

PassWind

• 7,320 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 13:57

Is it that hard to fathom that Lewis just wanted a new challenge, and as they say a change is as good as a holiday. For mine he left at the right time given the technical changes in 2014, he gets a year to imbed himself in the team, the team get a year to work with him and understand what he needs from the car.

As to Money it should be relatively cost neutral to Mercedes, the bean counters have probably worked out they will be a net profit on the money invested in him in certain areas where his image influences buying decisions in favour of the Mercedes brand.

#16 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,218 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 14:01

Agreed.

It's a risk and a bigger one than staying at Mac, but there's no guarantee Mac will remain competitive neither.

#17 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 14:23

Maybe Hamilton is also allowed to have personal sponsors, that McLaren didn't accept?

#18 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 2,373 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 14:32

The same place used to pay MS.... :rolleyes: