Your First Racing Game

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#151 alexau

alexau

• 3 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:47

GRID. That is my favourite as well  :)

Edited by Buttoneer, 14 June 2016 - 21:47.

Advertisement

#152 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 15,048 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 14:19

Rock and roll racing.

Off topic, what PS4 games are you guys playing currently? Is there anyone which is fun and does not require long tedious hours of running horrible cars before we can unlock faster cars and races?

#153 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 07:55

PS4 games currently...

While waiting Assetto Corsa, there's Dirt Rally. Project Cars and the most awesome of all...Table Top Racing: World Tour.  :cool:

Edited by The Kanisteri, 20 June 2016 - 07:55.

#154 messy

messy

• 3,889 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 21:04

Rock and roll racing.

Off topic, what PS4 games are you guys playing currently? Is there anyone which is fun and does not require long tedious hours of running horrible cars before we can unlock faster cars and races?

To be honest, I'd recommend Forza 6 - shame it's not PS4. I eventually bit the bullet and got an Xbox One just for it - and haven't regretted it for one second.

#155 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:16

Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix by Martech (1988). Played it on my first PC, an AMSTRAD CPC 464. I was very young and didn't even know what this F1 thing was. Those were the days.  :blush:

#156 sidewinder26

sidewinder26

• 31 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 13:55

My first game was Michael Andretti's World GP, back in 90. I was 6. It was great because I had two uncles and my father to race against, and they were fast. It became quite a family event seeing us race.  

Edited by sidewinder26, 20 August 2016 - 13:55.

#157 richardnunney

richardnunney

• 70 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 20:23

Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix by Martech (1988). Played it on my first PC, an AMSTRAD CPC 464. I was very young and didn't even know what this F1 thing was. Those were the days.  :blush:

What a game this was!  Used to love this on the Spectrum.  Upgraded to Indycar racing when on PC and then discovered Geoff Crammond's GP2.  

No game since has got as close to enjoyment as any of those other 3.

#158 balage06

balage06

• 1,318 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 13:01

#159 Hati

Hati

• 2,977 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:52

I wondered this for a long time, was it something with VIC20 or with C64 and what but a message while a back reminded me that it probably was this:

https://boardgamegee...la-1-vauhtipeli

It's still at my parents place and yesterday I remembered to check what it was called so I could find that link. If I remember correctly we had little problems at interpreting the rules and we didn't play it much anyway because computer gaming was more fun.

Advertisement

#160 vrroomcd

vrroomcd

• 37 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 17:44

First racing game I played was revs on the bbc :stoned:

#161 JamesC64

JamesC64

• 139 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:55

I laugh when i think about it but every game that came out i used to be in wonder of the "photo realistic" graphics. My Dad looked at me gone out, now i know why hahahaha.

#162 Paste

Paste

• 5,766 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 21:27

I started with Pole Position on the Vic20.

Graduated to Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix on NES

Later picked up Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge on NES

First CPU sim was Road and Track Presents Grand Prix Unlimited. Holy hell did that game have some bad bugs. I can remember the Portugal circuit having one spot where there was like a 70% change that you'd crash out of nowhere on any given lap..

#163 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,510 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 18:39

First got hooked on Revs on the BBC Model B

revs.gif

#164 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,587 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:09

I started with GP2 made by Geoff Cramond and have returned to Geoff Cramond's last GP game, GP4... and with a vengeance. Thanks to modders and their editors like CSM you can now play any season you want. For example thanks to the log-system of GPX Data (with which you can export the laptimes of both yourself and the AI-driver to an Excel-file) I am able to tweak the tyre-use in such a way it resembles the 2019 use...

Currently I am building a quick sim of the French Grand Prix, in which the drivers starting on softs lose time after 10 laps or so, making more pitstops a more viable strategy than a 1- or a non-stop strategy. 

There's not one game on the market which enables you to build an own sim like that...

Here I am just exiting the pits at Ricard:

https://youtu.be/ZAikhUO_bFs

Edited by Nemo1965, 21 June 2019 - 07:10.

#165 BuddyHolly

BuddyHolly

• 3,361 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 16:22

Not counting arcade games like Night Driver (late 70's I think) I believe the first racing game I owned was Chequered Flag on the ZX Spectrum.

There was also a superb F1 Manager game on the Speccy too, I must have put 100's of hours into it and still play it on and off to this day

From there I went to playing Revs on the BBC Model B and then Revs+ on the C64, along with Grand Prix Circuit by Accolade.  Then I upgraded to 16bit and an Amiga and later on Microprose(my top software developer ever) released F1GP and I played it so much I must have way over 1000 hours on it.

From then onto PC and Grand Prix 2,3,4 and the amazing Grand Prix Legends

Then nothing for quite a while, maybe one or two F1 games on playstation but they never grabbed me like Geoff Crammonds F1 series did.

I've been playing the codemasters games since F1 2010 and although they are okay and look great, they still lack features Crammond put into his F1 games over 20 years ago and with codies now putting out like nine games in a row they still don't have features that I loved in the Grand Prix series and I've now come to the conclusion they never will.

Last F1 racing game I played was F1 2018, I finished a 100% race distance career months ago and was so cheesed off at the end (no ending, no tally of titles/wins/etc, no retirement screen, no congrats.. nothing, just went straight to the main menu once you finished the last race of the 10th season.  what an oversight!)

I did buy Assetto Corsa on PS4 but deleted it as I simply could not play it with the controller, it needs a wheel and the only wheel I own, Sony decided not to support in the PS4.

I have toyed with buying GT Sport but I dislike the online only part and I'm no fan of GT's still "chase the rabbit" formula with only rolling starts in career mode.

For me, Grand Prix 4 remains the best racing game I've played, sadly I never did get it to run on Win 7.