Photo

Henry Leeson Brooklands

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:08

I know Mr Leeson, a Eastbourne based butcher, had competed in several hill climbs before attempting his first race at Brooklands. Sadly it was to last a mere 28 laps of the planned 200, when, for reasons never explained, his MG veered left, hit a parapet, and nose dived into the entrance tunnel road on the infield.

I have seen one picture of the aftermath of the accident, but wondered if anyone knows more of the man, the stories he may have bitten off more than he could chew for his first race, and passed out behind the wheel. Confirmation that his car was chassis C0291, and any period pictures of driver and car.

As an ex Eastbourne boy, I also wondered if Goldie Gardner may have had something to do with this, although he only retired to Eastbourne in the 1950s, he had been to the town many many times, to recover from accidents, war injuries and for holidays, but as yet I have not managed to turn up any evidence ATG and Leeson even met!

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 13:06

I expect you already know this site, Steve. It's about C0291 after Leeson owned it, including period photos, but doesn't actually say that Leeson was killed driving it:

http://www.gt40mk1.p...om/MG_C0291.htm

#3 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 13:14

I expect you already know this site, Steve. It's about C0291 after Leeson owned it, including period photos, but doesn't actually say that Leeson was killed driving it:

Thanks Tim, useful, but as you say, not very definitive.

#4 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:36

The Motorsport Memorial website suggests that it wasn't C0291 in the fatal crash.

"On Friday, 02 June 1932, Leeson competed with his MG in the JCC 1000 Miles Race at Brooklands. The car received the number 63 for that event. During the race Leeson's MG experienced a series of slides at a speed of about 75 mi/h (121 km/h) that eventually pitched it into the parapet of the bridge over the paddock road. The car fell onto the road, narrowly missing a non-competing car. Leeson was killed upon impact.

Leeson, who was forty-three years old at the time, lived in Eastbourne. He was survived by his wife and six-year-old son, as well as by his parents and three siblings. Leeson's car was extensively damaged in the accident, but it was rebuilt and raced again; however, its whereabouts are unknown since 1935. Shortly before his death Leeson had bought another MG C-Type Montlhery Midget - the chassis C0291, which received the license place JK 2340. This vehicle, driven by British drivers John Ludovic Ford and Maurice Baumer, finished the 1933 24 Heures du Mans in sixth place overall....".

Tony

#5 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 15:52

A newspaper report on the accident says "the car was completely wrecked". http://newspapers.nl...20705.2.13.aspx

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:23

There seems to be some confusion about the date of Leeson's death. In his Brooklands history WB says that the 1,000 mile race took place on 3rd and 4th May, in which case Leeson would have been killed on the 3rd. The WSRP entry for the race says 4th June. Motorsport Memorial says Friday 2nd June, which has to be (partly at least) incorrect as the 2nd June was a Thursday. The newspaper report linked to by Geoff says 5th June. I'd be inclined to trust WB, but ... ?

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 16:40

Correct date for the race is 3rd/4th June. Leeson died on the first day.

WSRP entries always give the date the event finished for multi-day events.

Edited by Vitesse2, 18 February 2013 - 16:41.

#8 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 17:15

It would seem there is a little bit more to this. I have been pointed to at least three ex Leeson MG s, of which one has supposedly got a Goldie Gardner link, but none seem right.