- - - - -

Energy Recovery Systems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 17:46

Would it be possible/feasible to recover energy that would otherwise be lost through the movement of the suspension systems? If so, perhaps such a system would allow the suspension to behave in a semi-active manner?

Advertisement

#2 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,728 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 18:17

I suspect the range of movement wouldn't be enough to recover anything meaningful.

#3 JimboJones

JimboJones

• 97 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 19:46

Would it be possible/feasible to recover energy that would otherwise be lost through the movement of the suspension systems? If so, perhaps such a system would allow the suspension to behave in a semi-active manner?

Not really. Even if you did recover and store energy from suspension movement (which is entirely possible), you'd be had over by the rules when it came to reusing it again:
10.1.2 The suspension system must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the wheels.

#4 OO7

OO7

• 23,401 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 19:55

Not really. Even if you did recover and store energy from suspension movement (which is entirely possible), you'd be had over by the rules when it came to reusing it again:
10.1.2 The suspension system must be so arranged that its response results only from changes in load applied to the wheels.

I was using the wrong terminology Jimbo. I should have said variable rate suspension/damping rather than semi-active suspension (variable rife height).