* * * - - 8 votes

Lewis Hamilton interview in The Guardian

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#1 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:40

Lewis is planning to build his own museum in Stevenage or London to house his 500(!) trophies. Good news for the fans I think.

http://www.guardian....s-f1-museum-jet

Advertisement

#2 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,463 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:44

Well if Coulthard has his own museum.........

Edit: from the article:

"I will die if [Roscoe] does a turd in my plane. I will have to get the whole plane changed.

:lol:

Edited by Kvothe, 11 March 2013 - 23:46.

#3 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:49

I know it sounds kinda of egotistical. But I like the idea. If I was in London, I would take an hour or two out of my day to check out Lewis' trophies.

#4 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:49

I imagine a puppie dog will need some training :lol:

#5 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:50

Lewis is planning to build his own museum in Stevenage or London

Whats wrong with Croydon?

#6 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 23:51

:rotfl:

#7 MercPower

MercPower

• 98 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:02

"I emailed Bernie [Ecclestone] about my passes and then told him at the end I had a new member of my family. I was really nervous, but he said send a picture. I sent one of Roscoe wearing headphones. Bernie wasn't too happy but that's the one that will be on his pass"

#8 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 33,682 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:07

Interesting that he said the only real trophy he's got is the Canada 2007 one, the rest are replicas.

#9 SirT

SirT

• 722 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:25

I guess it was part of his contract that he got to keep his first grand prix winners trophy. Ron keep all the rest. I guess his Merc contract allows him to keep all the real trophies he wins and Merc have the replica's.

#10 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:29

i don't get this 'Croydon' reference to lewis, is there any special meaning??? i'm not a brit, so will be happy if explained

#11 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:31

i don't get this 'Croydon' reference to lewis, is there any special meaning??? i'm not a brit, so will be happy if explained

http://www.skyscrape...ad.php?t=743508

#12 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:32

That's fair enough it might go over the heads of some new readers. Have a read of this!

http://forums.autosp...w...&hl=croydon

EDIT: Sorry SR388 I posted that at the same time although I think they are different forum threads.

Edited by Les, 12 March 2013 - 00:34.

#13 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:37

That's fair enough it might go over the heads of some new readers. Have a read of this!

http://forums.autosp...w...&hl=croydon

EDIT: Sorry SR388 I posted that at the same time although I think they are different forum threads.

http://www.skyscrape...ad.php?t=743508

thanks, it was pretty funny, now i see what they mean by 'british press' :smoking:

#14 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 00:40

I love post 7 in the Autosport thread 'my wife saw his girlfriend in Matalan'. He's obviously upgraded since then!

#15 oetzi

oetzi

• 6,829 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:33

Lewis is planning to build his own museum in Stevenage or London

Heh.

The British Museum, the National History Museum, the Science Museum, The V&A, the Tower, The Museum of London, and the Hamilton Museum?

Best to be a big fish n a small pond.

#16 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:23

there he goes again, obsessing over being famous

cool idea, but LH is hardly legend status (currently)

#17 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:28

Based on the tile I thought he's gonna fund a museum for vintage race cars or something like that. This is so sad.

#18 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:28

It would be awesome if Lewis could concentrate on proving himself worthy of greatness and then after a stellar career he can think about opening a bloody musuem.

Jesus wept, can you imagine Vettel saying this stuff?

It's like in his head he can imagine how he wants his life to be or how he thinks it should be (basically the success and adulation that senna achieved) but is already thinking as if it has been achieved or will definitely be achieved.
And he still hasn't learned how stupid things can sound when said to the press, although, in fairness, that quality is sort of half infuriating half endearing.

In case anyone is wondering I'm a massive Lewis fan but he doesn't half make it hard.

#19 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:40

I know it sounds kinda of egotistical. But I like the idea. If I was in London, I would take an hour or two out of my day to check out Lewis' trophies.

That would be in the McLaren museum wouldnt it?

Advertisement

#20 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:54

Next up, Lewis Hamilton presents his new venture - Lewis Hamilton Magazine. Not enough Lewis Hamilton in your life? Want to know what Lewis eats for breakfast and how Lewis folds his shirts? Find out in Lewis Hamilton Magazine. Each month will include candid interviews with Lewis Hamilton on subjects such as his upcoming E! True Story documentary and also 'How is Lewis Hamilton so awesome?'. Each subscription comes with two free tickets to the Hamilton Museum, a 300 sq ft room that displays replicas of trophies he's won in his glittering, single championship-winning career. Subscribe today!

#21 SR388

SR388

• 5,683 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:56

That would be in the McLaren museum wouldnt it?

There isn't a McLaren museum to my knowledge.

#22 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:02

I have no idea, was more of a reference to the fact that he has no F1 trophies to put in there

(well, Canada 2007 apparently)

#23 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:17

I remember the last time i saw Lewis was in a museum, Madame Tussauds, this is how the conversation went.

Me: Hi Lewis, its a great likeness, spooky how they do it isn't it ?.

LH: Yeah man, its awesome, looks just like me, and this is a great museum.

Me: Did you see them modeling it, were you here at the time ?.

LH: Yeah i was here, it was incredible, it was just a huge pile of modeling wax.

Me: Then what happened ?.

LH: Then it just sorta, turned into me!.

#24 F1AC

F1AC

• 75 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:52

DC is hardly a legend but he has one, any successful driver should be allowed to do it if they want; who cares.

#25 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,357 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:01

Hmmmm. Hardly worth beating a path to Stevenage for and as others have inferred, in London the appearance of his trophies might be a little underwhelming.

I'd think it would be good if he could put them on loan to the Donnigton museum or something...

Mind you - they're his trophies, and it's his money, so what the heck...

If he does open a museum, I hope that, like the National Gallery, the Portrait Gallery, etc, that it'll be free to enter...

Edited by Bruce, 12 March 2013 - 04:02.

#26 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:51

"I emailed Bernie [Ecclestone] about my passes and then told him at the end I had a new member of my family. I was really nervous, but he said send a picture. I sent one of Roscoe wearing headphones. Bernie wasn't too happy but that's the one that will be on his pass"

Don't animals have to be quarantined when passing from country to country?

Edited by Doughnut King, 12 March 2013 - 04:52.

#27 pristineaudio

pristineaudio

• 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:27

The McLaren Technology Centre is the nearest you'll get to one if you can get into it. There's an awesome display of winning cars going back to the late 60s and Bruce McLaren, and a huge collection of trophies all there to see (as per Tooned!). Relative of a friend who works there in a moderately senior capacity invited us to have a look around in 2010 - I heard that paid access cost four figures a head (meal included) at the time...

#28 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:16

Lots of successful drivers out there that have their private collection in their own
building... Nothing out of the ordinary.

I didn't know this. I see Coultard's name being mentioned. Who else has them? I'm genuinely curious.

#29 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:18

there he goes again, obsessing over being famous

cool idea, but LH is hardly legend status (currently)

ews is one of the all tiem greats of F1. I would go to London to see his museum. :clap: :clap: Probably only Senna would be more interesting.

#30 Sin

Sin

• 2,042 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:40

The best driver of all times already got his own museum

Heinz-Harald Frentzen Museum

and it's run by his dad :clap: :clap: :clap:

I want to go there some time, HHF is just the best :love:

oh uhm yeah... if Lewis does one.. he does one :o I would go there if I walk past it.... or am close by....

but I really really really am excited about the HHF museum :D

*squealing fangirl mode off*

Edited by Sin, 12 March 2013 - 07:42.

#31 benzine

benzine

• 132 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:10

does lewis' dog really have a paddock pass ? or is this a good joke ?

#32 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:19

500 trophies?, I know he has a lot of trophies from karting and other categories but 500?.

#33 Claudius

Claudius

• 5,232 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:25

It would be awesome if Lewis could concentrate on proving himself worthy of greatness and then after a stellar career he can think about opening a bloody musuem.

It's like in his head he can imagine how he wants his life to be or how he thinks it should be (basically the success and adulation that senna achieved) but is already thinking as if it has been achieved or will definitely be achieved.
And he still hasn't learned how stupid things can sound when said to the press, although, in fairness, that quality is sort of half infuriating half endearing.

In case anyone is wondering I'm a massive Lewis fan but he doesn't half make it hard.

I agree with that.
I can understand why he rubs people the wrong way.

#34 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:33

If it's similar to the DC museum with cars and trophies tracking his career then it's a good idea. Why have a private display or keep such things locked in storeage? It's not as 'out there' as some of the overly emotional responses would suggest.

In fact FA's idea of go kart track/ museum/ road safety school is even better.

Edited by P123, 12 March 2013 - 08:36.

#35 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:39

Yep, LH is a cocky sod, but you're overreacting.

"I have been thinking to build a museum. It was my dad's idea. It would be cool to have somewhere – in Stevenage or London, I don't know – where we could have one of the cars from every year that I have driven and have the trophies up so that people can see them. There's no point in having them all in your house where no one can see them.

Shock. Horror.

#36 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,993 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:41

The British Museum, the National History Museum, the Science Museum, The V&A, the Tower, The Museum of London, and the Hamilton Museum?

Is that what it will be called, or is the question purely academical?

#37 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,096 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:50

Lol Quote: Mercedes are slowly discovering just what they have taken on. This driver comes with baggage.

#38 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 4,333 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:55

Lewis is a loon. I think we all know that. It keeps life in the paddock interesting, most drivers are dull as dishwater...

#39 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:08

Oh, parasite journo brazenly feeds off Lewis Hamilton for his living then to give it a bit of bite sits in judgement of everything he's used for his piece. I so despise that, Paul Weaver :down: .

I love it all anyway, the red plane and his open thoughts about what he wants to do and be and his humour. Merc will not see this as baggage.

As for the comment about if Vettel said this...just imagine if Hamilton named his cars or said '****' on the podium or collected meaningless fastest laps for his history while his RE is pleading with him to preserve the car or had those petulant, arrogant 'do something' radio calls or was caught on film trying to browbeat a supplier...

It is absolutely obvious that some people apply different standards to him; even some 'fans'. Thank goodness he's so good.

Advertisement

#40 roadie

roadie

• 1,844 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:14

It's difficult not to argue that LH leads a very different lifestyle to other drivers. This along with his talent and personality means that he is always going to be a target of attention.

Mind you he doesn't help but bring it on himself sometimes though does he!?

#41 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:20

Oh, parasite journo brazenly feeds off Lewis Hamilton for his living then to give it a bit of bite sits in judgement of everything he's used for his piece. I so despise that, Paul Weaver :down: .

I love it all anyway, the red plane and his open thoughts about what he wants to do and be and his humour. Merc will not see this as baggage.

As for the comment about if Vettel said this...just imagine if Hamilton named his cars or said '****' on the podium or collected meaningless fastest laps for his history while his RE is pleading with him to preserve the car or had those petulant, arrogant 'do something' radio calls or was caught on film trying to browbeat a supplier...

It is absolutely obvious that some people apply different standards to him; even some 'fans'. Thank goodness he's so good.

I just love how you put 'fans' in inverted commas undie :kiss:

Personally I think you are applying different standards to vettel not me to Lewis.

#42 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:25

Yep, LH is a cocky sod, but you're overreacting.

Shock. Horror.

Possibly but I actually think a complete focus on achieving greatness and then worrying about things like a fricking musuem would make that greatness more likely to be achieved.

#43 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:27

500 trophies?, I know he has a lot of trophies from karting and other categories but 500?.

Gotta be from the RC-racing days ;-)

#44 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:31

I have started to really respect Lewis in the 2012 season, despite of his tweet hick-ups, but here he goes again - just being ahead of himself, like in 2007 when he was insinuating that he was kind of Senna's incarnation.

On the other hand, I could imagine that XXI, Lewis' management is behind this in order to beef up his marquee....

#45 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:32

Lol Quote: Mercedes are slowly discovering just what they have taken on. This driver comes with baggage.

Now Mercedes, of all teams, will have a dog with earphones in their pits.... :lol:

#46 sopa

sopa

• 12,230 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:35

If I'm not mistaken, one London district is called Lewisham. He should open the museum there.

Edited by sopa, 12 March 2013 - 09:35.

#47 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:35

Indeed :up:

#48 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 24,703 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:38

Was there a similar huge fuss made when Alonso started building that museum to himself in Asturias a few years ago? Personally I'd go and have a look at either driver's museums, sounds good fun.

#49 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:44

I just love how you put 'fans' in inverted commas undie :kiss:

Personally I think you are applying different standards to vettel not me to Lewis.

Haha dude I at least don't like Vettel! :p

No really those are reasons why I don't care for him.

It's a different thing from people (journos) using Hamilton so shamelessly. They take everything that is so innocent, alive and interesting and turn it against him. I do despise it, and I am suspicious of it. Then people follow.

#50 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:53

For F1 fans as we are I think its a great idea to have a form of F1 museum. Afterall Bernie won't do it will he? he won't even let clips stay up on youtube and is overly posessive.

Trophies exist to be put on display, the success is there to be shared and the stories to be told for generations to come.

I hope this leads to more F1 drivers doing it. I hope he has a selection of cars on display too. Even the anti's would still admire the display and his achievement I'm sure because they still have a connection with F1.

Edited by ZooL, 12 March 2013 - 09:54.