* * * - - 10 votes

Alonso/Hamilton overtake

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:38

There is no Alonso topic to talk about it and maybe some people missed it with all the action we had in the race.

Beyond being an Alonso fan, I find amazing they way Alonso avoided Hamilton, it was really close to be a nasty crash.

Advertisement

#2 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 3,226 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:42

Yeah I think Martin Brundle also highlighted how well Alonso did - during braking he spotted that Hamilton had problems (or, just gave space). Either way, Alonso did really well there.

#3 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,991 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:42

There was no risk of a crash at all. Both drivers are very professional. Alonso knew Lewis would break late and defend the inside but would suffer slower speed out of the corner and subsequently be overtaken at the next straight.

Nothing to talk about.

#4 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:46

There is no Alonso topic to talk about it and maybe some people missed it with all the action we had in the race.

Beyond being an Alonso fan, I find amazing they way Alonso avoided Hamilton, it was really close to be a nasty crash.

This for me just shows why he is the best, just always two steps ahead.

#5 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,567 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:46

Yeah me too, nice piece of inteligent driving from Alonso. Personally I found Hamilton´s move really dumb, he almost took them both out of the race when he was going to pit in that same lap, but given the history between the two... he won´t make it easy for Alonso.

#6 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:47

I didn't think they were going to crash, because there was nothing that crucial on the line. I was surprised however to see Hamilton head into the pits right afterwards because if he knew he would do so, why defend so aggressively? It also seemed like he was much more defensive against Alonso than against Vettel.

#7 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,900 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:48

There was no risk of a crash at all. Both drivers are very professional. Alonso knew Lewis would break late and defend the inside but would suffer slower speed out of the corner and subsequently be overtaken at the next straight.

Nothing to talk about.

You see him making a correction on the steering wheel at the last moment, in my opinion it's far from "he saw it coming".

Edited by kosmos, 17 March 2013 - 14:50.

#8 gillymuse

gillymuse

• 312 posts

You say it would have been a nasty crash, but didn't Lewis make the Apex and not run wide? Fernando did do a brilliant job though.

#9 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 6,513 posts

Good anticipation from Alonso. :up:

#10 Knowlesy

Knowlesy

• 4,056 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:50

Struck me as pretty basic racecraft tbh. That is not to say everyone would have managed it though!

Hamilton and Alonso are two great racers and they were never likely to collide no matter what. And it isn't like Hamilton was completely out of control.

Brundle thought it was the greatest racing moment of the century though. :well:

#11 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:52

I don't think he planned to pit on that lap, he was infact asked to stay out because Alonso was unable to get past on that lap even using DRS. But then he massively locked up while defending, his tyres were shot, and had to pit.
Love to see these 2 battle ontrack - extremely professional stuff from the fastest and the best. And Alonso had an obligation to watch his mirrors - Hamilton was alongside and on the inside, so it's not like he did them both a favor by being careful. They way he immediately decided to take the out-in line to overtake, however, was great stuff.

#12 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:56

Awesome piece of racing. Some people argued Hamilton was too hot there because they saw some smoke and he made some ground on a faster car, but if you pay attention to his line, he made the apex and didn´t run wide on the exit, so he judged it perfectly, and outbraked Alonso in a fair fashion. That´s from a racecraft POV, from the smarteness POV, Lewis didn´t need to do that at all, but isn´t this side by side stuff why we watch F1?

And I´ll add Lewis was on fire during wheel to wheel all day. His early defenses on Räikkönen where smart and fair, they went cm away several times, one of them reminiscent of the Räikkönen Schumacher moment in Brazil 2012.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 17 March 2013 - 14:58.

#13 RedOne

RedOne

• 2,449 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:57

I don't think he planned to pit on that lap, he was infact asked to stay out because Alonso was unable to get past on that lap even using DRS. But then he massively locked up while defending, his tyres were shot, and had to pit.
Love to see these 2 battle ontrack - extremely professional stuff from the fastest and the best. And Alonso had an obligation to watch his mirrors - Hamilton was alongside and on the inside, so it's not like he did them both a favor by being careful. They way he immediately decided to take the out-in line to overtake, however, was great stuff.

That pitstop was definetly planned, they were already waiting for him even before the lock up, and there's no way they could anticipate a lock up on the penultimate corner and already be ready that quickly.

#14 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 14:58

Nothing to talk about.

Wrong.

Impressive driving by Alonso, a lesser driver would have turned in and had an accident.

#15 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:00

Struck me as pretty basic racecraft tbh. That is not to say everyone would have managed it though!

Hamilton and Alonso are two great racers and they were never likely to collide no matter what. And it isn't like Hamilton was completely out of control.

Alonso had the corner, but if i hadn't recognized Hamilton locking up (probably the sound) and had taken the racing line, he would have had a wheel in his sidepod or something. He was pretty wise to prevent that.

#16 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:00

I didn't think they were going to crash, because there was nothing that crucial on the line. I was surprised however to see Hamilton head into the pits right afterwards because if he knew he would do so, why defend so aggressively? It also seemed like he was much more defensive against Alonso than against Vettel.

I suspect the lockup made the decision for him.

#17 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:01

A lesser driver would have turned in and had an accident.

If someone had turned in there it would have been a cockup from him, not turning in on a car alongside on a good line (not running wide) is the normal thing. There was indeed no risk further than one of them making a judgement mistake, and they didn´t.

#18 muelte

muelte

• 931 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:03

That was good racing, and one more proof of them being the class of the field.

Hamilton's defense was pretty good but IMHO a but unnecessary if he was about to pit, he only managed to lose time (that lap was awfully slow)

Alonso kept his head cool. I can imagine a few other drivers who probably would have acted different & finally end in a crash or at least making contact.

:up: for both.

#19 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:10

Didn't Lewis pit because of the lockup? Anyway great reactions from Alonso and impressive how Hamilton has matured from his do or die attitude.

Advertisement

#20 ANF

ANF

• 29,522 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:11

Wrong.

Impressive driving by Alonso, a lesser driver would have turned in and had an accident.

After which the stewards would have penalised Hamilton for causing the collision and we would have 736 forum posts about whose fault it was. ;)

(Thanks, Alonso, for being such a pro!)

#21 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:15

Basic racecraft from Alonso. It was a nice little battle. Never any danger of a crash, as despite the lockup Hamilton still safely made the corner. For the paranoid/ those who wish to see what wasn't there, Hamilton pitted because of the lockup, as stated in his interview with the BBC; nor did he battle Vettel any less- afterall SV easily passed him with DRS (not so bad that Renault engine, eh...?)

#22 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:16

After which the stewards would have penalised Hamilton for causing the collision and we would have 736 forum posts about whose fault it was.;)

Not at all. Stewards are not that bad. Had there been contact, there´d have been no need for penalties, as Hamilton kept a good line. There wasn´t a penalty in the Grosjean incident last year and that Williams´ line was worse and slightly more ragged than Lewis´, and it was the right call. You can´t turn in a guy with a significant portion of his car alongside you, and keeping a good line.

#23 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:17

The enormous flatspot obviously left him no choice as to wheter pit or not.

#24 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:21

You see him making a correction on the steering wheel at the last moment, in my opinion it's far from "he saw it coming".

Must have been a twitch in his arm then.

If you want to speculate on "nasty crashes" then Alonso barely avoiding the Caterham later on is the one to look at, although I appreciate it doesn't involve Hamilton so may look slightly different for those wearing your type of specs. :)

#25 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 729 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:30

So hamilton made the apex, the cars were nowhere near touching and the merc guy were out anyway.

yep I can see why this is a bashing thread.

#26 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,752 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:32

Completely puzzled. This thread is about what exactly? That's a defense and a pass seen about 4 billion times in F1 over the years.

#27 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:36

Completely puzzled. This thread is about what exactly? That's a defense and a pass seen about 4 billion times in F1 over the years.

Yeah actually. Lets talk about Hamilton vs Sutil :p The commentator made it as crystal clear as possible - "watch out - this is personal guys!" :lol:
K sorry for derailing. :p

#28 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:37

Keep that in mind next time you feel like raving about a Hamilton pass. :wave:

#29 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,576 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:42

This type of thing would usually go in a driver thread. They don't exist any longer, so this is the next best thing.

I don't see anything special in that pass though. It was just very good respectful wheel to wheel racing.

Edited by Ferrari2183, 17 March 2013 - 15:44.

#30 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,037 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:50

Really not that great tbh, I can't see it anyway.

#31 P123

P123

• 23,959 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:52

I think you've nailed it there. Despite the insistance of the topic originator, there was never any prospect of a crash in this instance. The motivation for the topic, as alluded to in your riposte to RicardoF1, is therefore possibly down to frustration at the praise Hamilton receives for such similar passing manouvres (although I don't recall a specific topic). Fair enough, the OP did once take offence to an Autosport front cover headline prasing Hamilton passing manouvres.

Joking aside, I saw some good hard racing, with Alonso forcing Hamilton onto the defensive and taking advantage to cleanly pass. If anybody thought that was a certain 'nasty crash' then there's not much that can be said except to describe such a position as hyperbolic. :)

#32 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 15:58

Ant Davidson on the Skypad had a brilliant spot with this, under braking Hamiltons left front hit a fairly reasonable bump in the road, you could really see the suspension react to it then instant lock up. I don't think it was ever going to result in a nasty (or any) accident to be honest, Alonso was on the outside of Hamilton and would never of just turned in with a car on the inside, he knew Lewis was going to try and hang on the inside and was looking in his mirrors the whole time waiting to undercut him.

Edited by olliek88, 17 March 2013 - 15:59.

#33 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,752 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:32

?

It was a decent pass, but the original topic posting was about avoiding accidents OMFG they both nearly died!!! Which is frankly ridiculous. Two drivers with immense respect for each other having an on track battle, was good viewing but nothing we've not seen many times before.

#34 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 5,848 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:33

Loved every bit of it. Alons is really an intelligent driver, to see that coming, one look in the mirror and avoiding that crash, just great :up:

#35 syolase

syolase

• 225 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:37

Loved every bit of it. Alons is really an intelligent driver, to see that coming, one look in the mirror and avoiding that crash, just great :up:

What crash?

#36 JaredS

JaredS

• 1,142 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:37

Not really. At 0:04 sec and at the moment just before he locked up, Lewis easily had more than half a car's length up alongside Alonso. You can see Alonso moving to turn in at that point and then aborting because it's clear Lewis is significantly alongside him.

Alonso was a professional and did what was expected of one of his calibre. But I didn't see anything in there to avoid a nasty crash. In fact, had Alonso continued to turn in then any resulting crash would have been wholly Alonso's fault. But he was good enough not to make that mistake.

#37 Burtros

Burtros

• 3,323 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 16:41

Ironically, its the fact he saw it coming that makes Alonso so good. If he hadnt seen it coming like you say, I'd have been a lot more worried.

#38 MrAerodynamicist

MrAerodynamicist

• 14,226 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:02

Antony Davidson pointed out that it's rarer for the outside wheel to lock; you can see the wheel hits a bump, unloading it and allowing to lock. It wasn't Lewis being wild and braking too late.

Good racing and it's saddening to see people view it otherwise.

#39 andrewf1

andrewf1

• 2,775 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:17

Antony Davidson pointed out that it's rarer for the outside wheel to lock; you can see the wheel hits a bump, unloading it and allowing to lock. It wasn't Lewis being wild and braking too late.

Good racing and it's saddening to see people view it otherwise.

:up:

Advertisement

#40 MercPower

MercPower

• 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:25

Sky covered why Lewis locked up and it was to do with the front left suspension

Edited by MercPower, 17 March 2013 - 17:26.

#41 MercPower

MercPower

• 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:27

I guess this couldn't go in the Australian race thread then we needed a new one for something that happened in the Australian race

Edited by MercPower, 17 March 2013 - 17:28.

#42 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 1,045 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:28

It was a good bit of vision by Alonso, but what people seem to be ignoring is that it was very much his job to be aware of where Lewis was. Fernando was overtaking on the outside, less than half a car length ahead, he hadn't completed the move by any stretch of the imagination and it was his job to not "just turn in".

That said, it was still a great bit of wheel to wheel racing. Not knocking either party, just pointing out that when overtaking around the outside you can't just blindly turn in at the apex when there's still a car along side you.

#43 jstrains

jstrains

• 3,223 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 17:40

The way Fernando decided not to turn just shows his greatness. Actually they are both great champions and always fight fair :wave:

Edited by jstrains, 17 March 2013 - 17:41.

#44 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 18:47

The way Fernando decided not to turn just shows his greatness. Actually they are both great champions and always fight fair :wave:

The exact same situation did happen in the same track(Australia) in 2010, but that time, ALO was defending(locking his front tyre under braking :p ) , and HAM was attacking.
Pity WEB didn't have a clue and crashed into HAM. :o

_
HAM was going to pass ALO few corners ahead if you look how easily ROS did gain the position on ALO just seconds later. ;)

I don't know what this thread wants to prove..

#45 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 186 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:34

I thought it was a great move, but what impressed me even more was how he avoided being funnelled in at the start between Webber and Hamilton, pure class.

#46 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 186 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:34

I thought it was a great move, but what impressed me even more was how he avoided being funnelled in at the start between Webber and Hamilton, pure class.

#47 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,440 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:39

Can you repeat that again?

#48 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 233 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:40

Did he? I dunno, I was having a sheit.

#49 Massa

Massa

• 10,112 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:44

It was a great battle, but the Sutil - Hamilton fight was even better.

#50 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:47

Good awareness by Alonso of course, but its pretty standard racecraft stuff when you're up against somebody who is fond of braking late.