Perez: Ferrari often asked me to take care of Alonso

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#51 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:43

That is plain crooked. Asking a guy they were negotiating with for next year's set to take care of Alonso is as underhanded as it gets.

If I were boss at Ferrari, I would have asked.

Advertisement

#52 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 431 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:46

haha yes and you wouldn't have been the first or last one to do it...

#53 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:47

I think you need to get the graduado escolar or argue with the RAE, not me ;). If you want to discuss about language we can do it in private, we don't want to turn this topic into a language war because it has another purpose.

It's not a language 'war' if it is helping us to understand what Perez said. One of the great benefits of having an international membership is that we can bust through what are often translations of translations in order to get to the truth of the matter.

In that regard, some consideration needs to be given to the fact that Perez is not Spanish and his language may not conform to the strict rules that you point to, perhaps in the way that Canadian French will differ from European French.

#54 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:48

It depends on whether it was simply asked as an aside ("oh, while you're on the phone ..."), or if it was hinted as something that would influence the negotiations for the seat. Based on Perez's wordings, it appears to be the former. But the timing is odd, why didn't they say this to him the first time he was in F1? Why wait until negotiations begin.

Edited by boldhakka, 19 March 2013 - 16:51.

#55 Zesus

Zesus

• 902 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:53

I'm not Alonso fan at all, but I think it's normal thing to do. Ferrari asked that Perez because they wanted to help Alonso in WDC. I don't like that, but you can't avoid it, so it's nothing unusual.

With these comments Perez didn't do anything good to himself. Just trying to get some attention which he, I think, kinda lost.

#56 stanga

stanga

• 1,124 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:56

"Take care of Alonso"? Makes Perez sound like either a gangland enforcer or provider of executive relief.

#57 jstrains

jstrains

• 2,819 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 16:59

I think this kind of information should always stay with those who are involved. I do not know what Perez wants to prove with it. He said just something everybody knows. It will not harm Fernando but himself in the future

#58 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:05

That's because it has nothing to do with Alonso. Perez commented that Ferrari asked him, not Fernando.

#59 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:12

No, it makes zero sense, you ask to "cuidar" of your little brother or your wife, in the context of that interview it makes zero sense. I didn't say that "cuidar" was a Mexican thing, I say that with that context it has a different meaning because Mexican and other languages use Spanish in a different way that the "raw" Spanish (from Spain).

You should check the meaning of the verb "cuidar" in the REAL ACADEMIA ESPAÑOLA.

http://lema.rae.es/drae/

According to what Checo said, he believed that Ferrari asked him to chill with Alonso. The distinction you are drawing doesn't really matter, only Checo's interpretation matters. He said that he interpreted it to mean that he should assist Alonso (allow him to pass) - and he went on to say that the only person he would ever assist was his teammate, and then, only if it helped the team.

So independent of how you interpret what Checo's meaning could be, the only thing that matters is what Checo believed Ferrari meant - and apparently he thought they meant business. Ya estamos?

Edited by bourbon, 19 March 2013 - 17:13.

Advertisement

#60 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:14

I meant easiest for me to explain Canada and Monza, given my earlier premise. Well you asked me for an explanation, and I gave one. No worries.

It's easiest because it's exactly what Perez says in the interview - that even though he was asked, he would ignore it and yield only for his teammate under the right conditions.

There's a reason Perez brings up that request from Ferrari, in response to that specific question and the example in that question. He didn't randomly bring it up. That tells us what his own interpretation of the Ferrari request was.

THIS.. Nailed it.

Those who say it was taken out of context, the question easily clears it up for them. The question is 'do people move over easily for Vettel unlike Alonso?'. And Perez says 'no, actually Ferrari said this to me'. 'Exercise caution around Alonso' has no relevance to this. To stamp this further, as boldhakka nailed it Perez further goes on to say he would yield only to his teammate.

#61 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:17

Well, I wouldn't.

Then again so many things happen in F1 that I am not surprised you would ask.

#62 kosmos

kosmos

• 10,831 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:31

According to what Checo said, he believed that Ferrari asked him to chill with Alonso. The distinction you are drawing doesn't really matter, only Checo's interpretation matters. He said that he interpreted it to mean that he should assist Alonso (allow him to pass) - and he went on to say that the only person he would ever assist was his teammate, and then, only if it helped the team.

So independent of how you interpret what Checo's meaning could be, the only thing that matters is what Checo believed Ferrari meant - and apparently he thought they meant business. Ya estamos?

Sorry but you are the one how is making his own interpretation of Checo's words.

To begin with and according to you "take care=assist=allow him to pass", that is your intepretation not what Checo said, even if we think the expression "take care of Alonso" is right, it's pretty ambiguous and open to interpretation. And Checo never said anything about:

that the only person he would ever assist was his teammate

That's something you made up to support your argument.

He said: "Al único que se lo pondría un poco más fácil sería a mi compañero si eso nos diera un gran resultado en un fin de semana."

"make it easy" not "assist".

I give up, my explanation it's there, everyone is free to believe what they want or keep with their agendas.

#63 e34

e34

• 760 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:33

It's not a language 'war' if it is helping us to understand what Perez said. One of the great benefits of having an international membership is that we can bust through what are often translations of translations in order to get to the truth of the matter.

In that regard, some consideration needs to be given to the fact that Perez is not Spanish and his language may not conform to the strict rules that you point to, perhaps in the way that Canadian French will differ from European French.

The first question that should be taken into account is that Ferrari didn't ask anything to Checo in either variety of Spanish.

So first we would have to know what Ferrari said, then what Checo understood and third, whether Checo recollection in Spanish is accurate or not.

In any case, Checo answer, whether or not 100 percent accurate, is a "POW right in the kisser" moment for the journo. (And if anybody is interested, that is "Zas, en toda la boca" in Spanish).

#64 Lulabaloo

Lulabaloo

• 149 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:35

As I said before, "que cuidara" in the context and using the Spanish language makes zero sense, it's a thing of the Spanish they use in Mexico, it's should be translated as "be careful" and not "take care".

The last part of the answer; "I don´t care if it´s Vettel or Alonso behind, I would only yield to my current teammate if that gave the team a better result." contradicts your interpretation.

#65 Lulabaloo

Lulabaloo

• 149 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:37

I'm bothered by the usage of "often" more than anything else, really. I can easily imagine someone from Ferrari "jokingly" dropping a hint about not ramming Alonso ("we know where you live, haha"). But to do it repeatedly would imply they were speaking directly about the matter.

I imagine "take care of" is used as in "be wary of". ("take care not to bang your head on that beam"). but there are less charitable interpretations.

Whether they singled out Perez or said the same to all young drivers, is irrelevant really, from where I'm sitting. It points to the same ruthlessness.

Also odd is that it isn't "take care of the Ferrari cars", as in both red cars. It's just Alonso. They would have lost nothing by asking him to take care of both Ferrari cars; it's not like Perez would say OK to one but draw the line at both cars.

It just shows how much they care for Massa.

#66 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:41

I think you need to get the graduado escolar or argue with the RAE, not me ;). If you want to discuss about language we can do it in private, we don't want to turn this topic into a language war because it has another purpose.

I don´t have any intention to discuss about language with you, but if you give wrong info to other language speakers on a relevant topic for the discussion, I must correct you.

"Cuidar" is perfectly suited for that scenario (sport allies) in "Spanish Spanish":

"Cuida de nuestro sprinter en los últimos 15 kilómetros".
"Cuida de Arbeloa, su interior es muy hábil y le van a desbordar".
"Te dije que cuidaras de nuestro base cuando participase en el juego interior".

There´s nothing wrong with any of these, and these expressions are used daily. I don´t know what´s the part you don´t get. Thank God there are plenty of Spanish users here to give their view so foreign users won´t ge confused by your bizarre claim. There´s nothing doubtful in Perez´s Spanish, and there´s nothing wrong in the diverse translations we have access to.

#67 Astro

Astro

• 391 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:41

It is Mexican Spanish. He is saying "cuidar" as "being careful". In Castillian Spanish, it sounds as if Ferrari is asking Checo to walk Fernando around a park and buy him candy. It makes little sense in such a context. That's how I understand it anyway.

#68 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:45

The first question that should be taken into account is that Ferrari didn't ask anything to Checo in either variety of Spanish..

We don't know in what language Ferrari talked to Perez. But Perez says 'this is what Ferrari asked me' as an indirect reporting kind of format, and does not give any direct quote to suggest any misinterpretation on Perez' part itself. Nothing to confuse there. The question was only on Perez' choice of words, not Ferrari's. And that is made clear by the two points boldhakka has pointed out.

#69 e34

e34

• 760 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:48

I don´t have any intention to discuss about language with you, but if you give wrong info to other language speakers on a relevant topic for the discussion, I must correct you.

"Cuidar" is perfectly suited for that scenario (sport allies) in "Spanish Spanish":

There´s nothing wrong with any of these, and these expressions are used daily. I don´t know what´s the part you don´t get. Thank God there are plenty of Spanish users here to give their view so foreign users won´t ge confused by your bizarre claim. There´s nothing doubtful in Perez´s Spanish, and there´s nothing wrong in the diverse translations we have access to.

There are hundreds of possibilities.

And frankly, in my book, it makes more sense to say "cuida de" to the bigger guy. To use your example, it would sound funny to tell to Ricky Rubio "cuida de Pau Gasol", as opposed to "ten cuidado con Pau Gasol".

Somebody should ask Perez what did he mean.

#70 e34

e34

• 760 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:53

We don't know in what language Ferrari talked to Perez. But Perez says 'this is what Ferrari asked me' as an indirect reporting kind of format, and does not give any direct quote to suggest any misinterpretation on Perez' part itself. Nothing to confuse there. The question was only on Perez' choice of words, not Ferrari's. And that is made clear by the two points boldhakka has pointed out.

I only wanted to highlight that we are discussing the meaning of "cuidar", and that word was not uttered by Ferrari. It just adds another layer of complexity to the "Circle of Hermeneutics" this forum becomes from time to time.

And as I said, somebody should ask Perez what exactly did Ferrari ask him. I will take his word for it. Now, what that word means....

#71 bsoares

bsoares

• 166 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 17:55

There are hundreds of possibilities.

And frankly, in my book, it makes more sense to say "cuida de" to the bigger guy. To use your example, it would sound funny to tell to Ricky Rubio "cuida de Pau Gasol", as opposed to "ten cuidado con Pau Gasol".

Somebody should ask Perez what did he mean.

I think that the meaning is clear.

"You should ask this question one by one. In my case it´s not like that, I treat everyone the same. Last year I had communication with Ferrari, and they often asked me to take care of Alonso, I don´t know if they do this with everyone. I don´t care if it´s Vettel or Alonso behind, I would only yield make it easier to my current teammate if that gave the team a better result."

From Marca:

Debería preguntar uno a uno. En mi caso no es así, yo no hago distinciones entre ambos. El año pasado, cuando yo tenía comunicación con Ferrari, ellos me pedían a menudo que cuidara de Alonso, pero no sé si se lo piden a toda la parrilla o no. A mí me da igual si es Vettel o Alonso. Al único que se lo pondría un poco más fácil sería a mi compañero si eso nos diera un gran resultado en un fin de semana.

#72 prty

prty

• 6,210 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:02

We have been asked to reopen the thread on the basis that we have a reputable source for the information in a Marco Canseco long interview for Marca;

http://www.marca.com...1363533816.html

Translation of question:

"Talking about Fernando, do you think drivers have a different attitude when they see him in the mirror than when they see Vettel? Because in Abu Dhabi last year they were getting out of his way."

Translation of answer:

"You should ask this question one by one. In my case it´s not like that, I treat everyone the same. Last year I had communication with Ferrari, and they often asked me to take care of Alonso, I don´t know if they do this with everyone. I don´t care if it´s Vettel or Alonso behind, I would only yield to my current teammate if that gave the team a better result."

Please try and keep to the facts as outlined in this part of the interview and please do not troll. If the subject of the discussion distresses you, I suggest that you avoid responding.

You do realise that the thread opener source quotes marca in the first place? And i wouldn't call it respectable source. The credibility level didn't change when re opening the thread.

Anyway, about 'cuidar', it's usually used in a familiar context, like 'take care of the child'. In this context the more correct thing would be 'ten cuidado' which means 'be careful'.

#73 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:03

"Take care of Alonso"? Makes Perez sound like either a gangland enforcer or provider of executive relief.

They should've made him an offer he can't refuse instead.

#74 prty

prty

• 6,210 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:08

To be honest, I think the use of 'proteger' (to protect) is way more common in those contexts. Cuidar is more for family or material, those sentences sound cheesy.

#75 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 896 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:22

Come on... this is all about translation and context. Anyway, pay attention:

Last year, when I was communicating with Ferrari, they often asked me to take care of Alonso, but I don’t know if they asked just me or the whole grid.

If he is in doubt about them asking the whole grid, it is clearly saying that Ferrari meant to be careful, not to help him.
Unless you think Ferrari could tell all the teams to move out of the way when Fernando got closer :drunk:

#76 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,897 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:27

I find it just amusing how the same people who first defended the 'dirty tricks' with Massa, cried murder over some TR moves are now full out in force to play down a very clear statement which confirms something which has been already widely known.

I wholeheartedly agree. Very amusing indeed.

#77 Gag Bueno

Gag Bueno

• 360 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:28

So, Perez says strange "Mexican ( big wonder, as a Mexican... ) things" when reporting a demand of Ferrari to him as Ferrari Academy member and Sauber driver. As far as I know, "cuidar" in the sense of "take care of", also referring to sporting opponents or team mates, is of very common use among Spanish-speaking Latin Americans. If there was a misunderstanding, the Spanish interviewer should have cleared it, but didn't since it would backfire even more... :p

Maybe Norberto Fontana, who was in nearby the same position, as Sauber driver, and reported being asked even worse things before the WDC finale in 1997, could provide some linguistic assistance here? I remember he had also some weird "Argentinian things" to say after that race...

But since Perez himself said he wouldn't "take care" and also never did, to me all seems more a curiosity, and also funny that Massa wasn't included in the "care package"...

#78 mattferg

mattferg

• 847 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:31

So basically when Kingshark was complaing about Toro Rossos giving Red Bull white glove treatment, and we all said Sauber did the same... we were right.

With a lot of people saying "How dare people be annoyed about this etc it's the same as what TR do for RBR" that's not the point. It's more the fact how annoyed those same people act when TR do it.

Edited by Buttoneer, 19 March 2013 - 19:37.
"fanboys" is just name calling. Please keep it civil.

#79 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:37

So basically when Kingshark was complaing about Toro Rossos giving Red Bull a free pass, and we all said Sauber did the same... we were right.

Not according to Perez you weren't.

Edited by Buttoneer, 19 March 2013 - 19:37.
edited quoted post

Advertisement

#80 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:46

If you go to Marca (motor section), this article is gone. I wonder why... :lol:

Canseco is an Alonso fanboy, plain and simple so I can not imagine how he reacted when Checho gave him that answer.

Now, I understand better Checo's behaviour last year in Malaysia. Everything has an explanation. :smoking:

Nevertheless, I had no idea the Ferrari staff had radio communications with Sauber drivers... :confused:

#81 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 896 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:54

If you go to Marca (motor section), this article is gone. I wonder why... :lol:

That is false:

#82 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 18:57

Another interesting answer to the second question:

P. Se ha anunciado la salida de Vodafone. Obviamente la gente va a pensar que, con su conexión con la familia Slim, el próximo año Telmex estará en McLaren. ¿Esto aumenta la presión sobre sus hombros?
R. No, al contrario. Ojalá pueda tener pronto a Telmex a mi lado. He hecho toda mi carrera junto a ellos, prácticamente desde que empecé, y estoy un poco triste de que no hayan estado conmigo este año, porque el equipo tiene aún contrato con Vodafone. Me encantaría volver a ver el color azul en mi coche de nuevo. Presión, para nada y las críticas, son normales.

P. ¿No le molesta que haya gente que piense que está en McLaren precisamente por ese apoyo?
R. No me interesa demostrarle nada a esa gente que piensa eso. Si piensan que Fernando está en Ferrari porque llevó allí a Santander, será lo mismo en mi caso. Una de las cosas buenas que tengo es a Telmex y un país detrás que me apoya totalmente. Seguramente también lleguen más empresas mexicanas más adelante.

Making it short... Canseco asked him if his move to Mclaren was because of Carlos Slim money (Telmex), he says no because if so, Alonso would be in the same position thanks to Santander money... Brilliant...

Now I'm sure Canseco went nuts during this interview... :rotfl:

Edited by RosannaG, 19 March 2013 - 18:58.

#83 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 896 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:02

Making it short... Canseco asked him if his move to Mclaren was because of Carlos Slim money (Telmex)

Once again, false. He asked him his opinion about the people that think like that.

#84 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:03

That is false:

I guess my ordinator does not work well :rolleyes: but to find the article, I had to go to "A lo más leído del motor".

God try anyway!  ;)

#85 RosannaG

RosannaG

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:05

Once again, false. He asked him his opinion about the people that think like that.

Thanks for your correction... But aren't you a little overreacting? I wonder why... :confused:

#86 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 598 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:09

Hearing this, i cant help but imagine ferrari as a shady mob-style character saying: you take car of our boy, or else... Also if you remember malaysia last year, when the team suddenly radios perez to basically tell him to hold station in second, destroying his concentration and preventing what looked like an easy win, it all clicks into place.

#87 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 896 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:10

I guess my ordinator does not work well :rolleyes: but to find the article, I had to go to "A lo más leído del motor".

God try anyway! ;)

Tip: Don't go to the motor section, go to the Formula 1 section. All the F1 articles are not shown in the motor one.

No, I was not overreacting, sorry if you got that impression ;)

#88 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:11

Thanks for your correction... But aren't you a little overreacting? I wonder why... :confused:

Pointing out where someone is wrong, or making things up, seems like an appropriate reaction to me (not a Ferrari / Alonso fan btw).

#89 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 7,387 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:12

Hearing this, i cant help but imagine ferrari as a shady mob-style character saying: you take car of our boy, or else... Also if you remember malaysia last year, when the team suddenly radios perez to basically tell him to hold station in second, destroying his concentration and preventing what looked like an easy win, it all clicks into place.

but then unclicks at Canada and Monza.

#90 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 598 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:12

R. No me interesa demostrarle nada a esa gente que piensa eso. Si piensan que Fernando está en Ferrari porque llevó allí a Santander, será lo mismo en mi caso. Una de las cosas buenas que tengo es a Telmex y un país detrás que me apoya totalmente. Seguramente también lleguen más empresas mexicanas más adelante.

Making it short... Canseco asked him if his move to Mclaren was because of Carlos Slim money (Telmex), he says no because if so, Alonso would be in the same position thanks to Santander money... Brilliant...

My oppinion of Perez went up by several notches, after that brilliant retort!

#91 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:24

Well FIA has everything on tape right? (regarding direct orders that is, but this is more of an under the table "suggestion") apparently they never thought much of it, wich is the only thing that matters in the end regardless of what we fans think of such things. Such politics is unavoidable with so much conflicts of interest even though it actively harms racing (though not the business side of racing). Perez would've never said this publicy if he still had a hope of moving to Ferrari ever though, so that now looks permanently out of question; or he's being naive and too honest.

#92 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,558 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:27

I haven´t read the entire thread so sorry if someone has pointed this before, but the thread title is a mistranslation from latin-american spanish to english and should be changed. The correct translation should be "Ferrari often asked me to be careful with Alonso", it just means don´t crash with Alonso when racing him!. I think it´s perfectly normal to ask that to a Ferrari academy driver if you ask me.
I think it´s much worse what happens between Red Bull and Toro Rosso, where the drivers from the italian team always let Vettel pass without a fight and always block Alonso/Hamilton etc. even when they are shown blue flags!

#93 discover23

discover23

• 5,693 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:31

P. Se ha anunciado la salida de Vodafone. Obviamente la gente va a pensar que, con su conexión con la familia Slim, el próximo año Telmex estará en McLaren. ¿Esto aumenta la presión sobre sus hombros?
R. No, al contrario. Ojalá pueda tener pronto a Telmex a mi lado. He hecho toda mi carrera junto a ellos, prácticamente desde que empecé, y estoy un poco triste de que no hayan estado conmigo este año, porque el equipo tiene aún contrato con Vodafone. Me encantaría volver a ver el color azul en mi coche de nuevo. Presión, para nada y las críticas, son normales.

P. ¿No le molesta que haya gente que piense que está en McLaren precisamente por ese apoyo?

that was a great answer I have to admit given the audience of this interview. :lol:
But I agree with him, Mclaren were impressed with Perez last year and decided to snatch this young star from Ferrari..
Hulkenberg only impressed towards the end of the season when Perez had already been singed.

#94 Astro

Astro

• 391 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:46

that was a great answer I have to admit given the audience of this interview. :lol:
But I agree with him, Mclaren were impressed with Perez last year and decided to snatch this young star from Ferrari..
Hulkenberg only impressed towards the end of the season when Perez had already been singed.

That is not what he said. RossanaG made that up.

Q: Doesn't it bother you that there are people who think you are at McLaren precisely because of that support?
A: I am not interested in proving anything to any of those people who thinks that. If you think that Fernando is at Ferrari because he brought Santander with him, it will be the same in my case.

Edited by Astro, 19 March 2013 - 19:47.

#95 discover23

discover23

• 5,693 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 19:53

That is not what he said. RossanaG made that up.

Q: Doesn't it bother you that there are people who think you are at McLaren precisely because of that support?
A: I am not interested in proving anything to any of those people who thinks that. If you think that Fernando is at Ferrari because he brought Santander with him, it will be the same in my case.

I read the article.. Fluent spanish speaker here. :wave: - that is a great answer to the question.. :up:

#96 e34

e34

• 760 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 20:05

So, Perez says strange "Mexican ( big wonder, as a Mexican... ) things" when reporting a demand of Ferrari to him as Ferrari Academy member and Sauber driver. As far as I know, "cuidar" in the sense of "take care of", also referring to sporting opponents or team mates, is of very common use among Spanish-speaking Latin Americans. If there was a misunderstanding, the Spanish interviewer should have cleared it, but didn't since it would backfire even more... :p

Maybe Norberto Fontana, who was in nearby the same position, as Sauber driver, and reported being asked even worse things before the WDC finale in 1997, could provide some linguistic assistance here? I remember he had also some weird "Argentinian things" to say after that race...

But since Perez himself said he wouldn't "take care" and also never did, to me all seems more a curiosity, and also funny that Massa wasn't included in the "care package"...

Get off your high horse, will you? If we were discussing something Alan Iverson said, should we act as if he was from Croydon?

We are just saying that what he said sounds strange in European Spanish. Strange as in "maybe he meant another thing" and not as in "he doesn't know how to talk".

And again, everybody but Hanzo is turning a blind eye to this revealing bit "I don't know if they asked just me or the whole grid". What could Ferrari have asked to the whole grid: to let Alonso through, or to take care not to crash into him.

#97 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 20:13

[/size]". What could Ferrari have asked to the whole grid: to let Alonso through, or to take care not to crash into him.

AS: So boss, you've had a word?
SD: Yeah, no problem.
AS: Seb?
SD: He said he won't be anywhere near Fernando after quali...
AS: Lewis?
SD: 'No frickin' way I'll crash into my mate...'
AS: Romain?
SD: Errr... oh shii....

Edited by trogggy, 19 March 2013 - 20:14.

#98 SophieB

SophieB
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,936 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 20:34

An interesting yet ultimately frustrating interview where it seems there's two possible sources of misunderstandings/ambiguity. The lack of clarity over what Perez meant exactly when he relayed what was asked of him has been gone over in detail. But I would also be very interested in knowing the exact words in the original instructions/request from Ferrari because I suspect he is not giving a verbatim report. Although there is that possibility, of course.

Edited by SophieB, 19 March 2013 - 21:40.

#99 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 20:42

Did Perez give way to Alonso in Malaisya, Canada or Monza?

It seems like some want to make a storm in a tea cup. I have yet to see a Sauber just move over for Ferrari the way Toro Rosso has for Red Bull.

Teams can ask drivers whatever they want. It does not mean drivers would follow. Heck Ferrari made huge mistake in it was Groshean and not Perez the one who constantly needed to be told to be careful around his peers last year.

Advertisement

#100 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 21:03

I haven´t read the entire thread so sorry if someone has pointed this before, but the thread title is a mistranslation from latin-american spanish to english and should be changed. The correct translation should be "Ferrari often asked me to be careful with Alonso", it just means don´t crash with Alonso when racing him!. I think it´s perfectly normal to ask that to a Ferrari academy driver if you ask me.

Nope.

Be careful with = Tener cuidado con
Take care of = Cuidar de