Racing Games - How do they rate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix

Phoenix

• 70 posts

Posted 19 July 1999 - 21:50

Seeing this is a new forum this seems like a good idea for a topic

the best racing game I played was REVs for the BBC B micro - good decade or so ago now

it was just F3 racing around silverstone but it was cool

I now have moved on to a playstation and currently am enjoying TOCA 2 whhich is excellent - the racing in it I think is very good

I also have Gran Tourismo but that provides less enjoyment when it comes to racing - too few cars

I have just also bought F1 97 but have yet to get my teeth into that - what I have seen so far I would not rate it as highly as TOCA 2 but at least it is F1

Advertisement

#2 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 19 July 1999 - 21:56

I have Ubisoft's F1RS(based on the 1996 year) and it is excellent. They released a successor of sorts called Monaco Grand Prix Racing. This to me looks little advanced over F1RS and does not have the current teams and drivers in it. To get that you will have to go to a site and download new carsets and probably do other tinkering.

#3 Rich

Rich

• 18,296 posts

Posted 20 July 1999 - 04:18

In terms of longevity, customisation and sheer enjoyment, nothing beats GP2 for me. In terms or realism and driving challenge, then Grand Prix Legends is a no-brainer. On the saloon-car front, I'd have to say TOCA2.

#4 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 20 July 1999 - 04:38

As far as Formula One goes GP2 is still the one for me. It may not be on the frontlines in terms of graphics, but in terms of playability and customizability nothing comes near.

Another great racing game is Colin McRae Rally for me, terrific combination of control and looks.

#5 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 00:19

I am going to buy GP2 (finally!) next week. I had the first one for years which was really good, a great simulation even though it got a bit too easy in the dry in the end. The wet was really tricky though

Anybody know any good sites to download upgrades for GP2??
Cheers
Posted Image

#6 Keijo

Keijo

• 10 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 00:45

You never had GP2? Poor soul, you can not know, what your are missing.
Go aheasd, buy it, fire up your modem and take a look at http://www.grandprix2.com
Get Pieters '99 carset, get the carshape editor and a nice 99 carshape, get Zapparolis Imola, get in fact all the 99 tracks (and nearly all older tracks shorter than some 8km), get even Indy F1 from the 2000 season, get..., get...
Oh, man.
GP2 is still the best. F1RS and Monaco GP don't *feel* right after getting used to GP2.
And if you get rid of all driving aids, GP2's driving model is still the best (short of GPL, of course)
Gotta quit. I still have to win Austria...
Keijo

#7 Rich

Rich

• 18,296 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 01:52

Buzzing, the first thing you need to download from grandprix2.com is the editing utility called GP2edit. Once you've got that, everything just kinda flows into place. In terms of tracks, download 'Circuit Ultima' from the same site. If you wipe out on any of the kerbs, you can blame babbel! Hehehe. :)

#8 baddog

baddog

• 29,739 posts

Posted 22 July 1999 - 12:03

Best F1 game.. GP2 without any doubt you people are entirely correct. I love the game, so realistic. The first one kept me happy for hundreds of hours, the 2nd one is even better. F197 is fun on the playstation, if only for the taped murrayisms..

best racing game on the playstation.. Colin Mcrae rally, the most 'real' feeling racing game Ive ever played. Not as pretty as Gran Turismo but gameplay is unsurpassed.

Shaun