Malaysian Grand Prix 2013 - Post Race Analysis/Observation [merged]

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:48

Some questions need to be answered?

(1) What will be the fallout from "get him out of the way"?
(2) Why was Vettel allowed to make his final stop 1 lap before Webber?
(3) Why did Webber put on the hard instead of medium tyre on his final stop?

People will be focusing on the battle, but to me it was clear that the medium tyre was the one to be on for the final stint. Why on earth did Webber go for the hard - that (and Vettel getting pitstop priority) cost Webber the race.

Advertisement

#2 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:49

He was slower

#3 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:50

Wow webber is massively pissed off

#4 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:51

Webber: "multi 21 seb, multi 21"

???

#5 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 785 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:55

That had to be the most sour podium I've since in quite a while.

#6 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:58

Don't get what peoples problem is with Seb's Win today. It was one of his best. How crap would the race of been if they pulled a Mercedes. That's Racing people. Rosberg should of done the same.

#7 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:03

Seb overcoming all adversity and team orders to take the win, just the best driver out there. #1.

#8 Lone

Lone

• 1,122 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:03

Lewis :up: Very nice words on the podium!

#9 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 402 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:05

What an awkward podium ceremony. All 3 of them would rather run and hide somewhere. :rotfl:

#10 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:07

Clearly Webber had been told that Sebastian would not pass. Drivers being told not to attack each other after the final pitstop is fairly normal - Sebastian chose to ignore this and his pass on Webber can be regarded as a cheap shot. IMO it was disgusting behavior by Seb.

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,989 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:08

People will be focusing on the battle, but to me it was clear that the medium tyre was the one to be on for the final stint. Why on earth did Webber go for the hard - that (and Vettel getting pitstop priority) cost Webber the race.

None of that is relevant as RB told their drivers to hold position. Vettel ignored that. He put the team strategy at risk to steal a win he patently did not deserve. That's going to cause ructions within the team - Webber's engineers are going to be seriously pissed off for a start.

No wonder RB didn't want Hamilton bitchslapping the favoured son.

#12 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:09

Clearly Webber had been told that Sebastian would not pass. Drivers being told not to attack each other after the final pitstop is fairly normal - Sebastian chose to ignore this and his pass on Webber can be regarded as a cheap shot. IMO it was disgusting behavior by Seb an the body language of everyone on the podium sums it up. Contrast Seb's behavior with his compatriot Nico Rosberg, who deserves a lot of praise for showing himself to be a team player.

#13 Paste

Paste

• 5,766 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:11

I don't see Webber following team orders should they be issued again. Gotta feel for him.

#14 tormave

tormave

• 1,627 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:12

Don't get what peoples problem is with Seb's Win today. It was one of his best. How crap would the race of been if they pulled a Mercedes. That's Racing people. Rosberg should of done the same.

The fact is Red Bull "did pull a Mercedes" and it was Webber doing what the team advised that allowed Vettel to pass and "win". I just lost all respect I had for Vettel today. What an absolute asshole he revealed himself to be. He's been helped many times by Webber respecting the very same instructions from the team when he was leading and probably very much agreed with those then.

#15 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:12

I don't see Webber following team orders should they be issued again. Gotta feel for him.

Nor should he, the precedent has been set by Vettel. But in all honesty, he's in a much better position to do so (i.e he is quicker).

#16 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:14

Seb overcoming all adversity and team orders to take the win, just the best driver out there. #1.

Hahahahahaha. Right, you would say the same thing if Alonso ignored "hold station" order and overtook Massa.

#17 chumma

chumma

• 1,346 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17

Seb has no grace. End of.

#18 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:24

Seb just did what Mark did in Silverstone 2011, with the difference that he actually pulled it through.

#19 Shiroo

Shiroo

• 4,012 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:25

Best driver? Nope. It is called being a douche and totally unfair towards your own teammate. Taking a win by all costs is just lame. He had whole race to fight Webber yet he fought vs him when Mark already had engine turned down a little

Advertisement

#20 tomisumi

tomisumi

• 251 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:27

Man of the race: Sebastian Vettel
Looser of the race: Sebastian Vettel

#21 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Hahahahahaha. Right, you would say the same thing if Alonso ignored "hold station" order and overtook Massa.

Or like Webber tried to do at Silverstone 2011, but failed. Oh wait that was EVIL RB.

At least that made sense with Seb in the lead on the championship, unlike this one being race 2.

#22 harrys

harrys

• 294 posts

Sebastian just apologised.

If he's truly sorry, he'll move over next time he's first and webber's second to give the win back.

Will he do this?

Will pigs fly?

#23 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:28

Best driver? Nope. It is called being a douche and totally unfair towards your own teammate. Taking a win by all costs is just lame. He had whole race to fight Webber yet he fought vs him when Mark already had engine turned down a little

Clearly you didn't follow the race, Seb was at no point allowed to race Mark, it was "keep the gap, protect the tyres" all the time with strategy constantly to Webber.

#24 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:29

Sebastian just apologised.

If he's truly sorry, he'll move over next time he's first and webber's second to give the win back.

Will he do this?

Will pigs fly?

Bad decision by Seb, he should expect the team to apologize more than anything.

#25 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:29

What a race. The tension was all around.

#26 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 402 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:30

Bad decision by Seb, he should expect the team to apologize more than anything.

Apologize for wha!?!

#27 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:34

Apologize for wha!?!

For screwing him up all race in terms of strategy and team orders before the last pit stop.

#28 krobinson

krobinson

• 610 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:34

Apologize for wha!?!

For giving him the best car since 2009.

#29 Kimiraikkonen

Kimiraikkonen

• 2,821 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:36

Where was this McLaren´s pace seven days ago?? :rolleyes:

Awesome FIGHT !!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Vettel vs Webber. No more controversy about statements between drivers. END.

#30 Paste

Paste

• 5,766 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:39

For screwing him up all race in terms of strategy and team orders before the last pit stop.

You are too much. Webber had the measure of Vettel today.

#31 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:49

It is surely no surprise to anyone that Sepang ended up the way it did.

I do not intend to get involved in any long, drawn out discussion about this, the facts now and indeed in the past, speak for themselves.

It also highlights the impossibility of having two alpha males of similar ability in the same team, whilst allowing that the younger man will, potentially and in reality, ultimately be the quicker of the two. This is nothing new and yet the same mistake is made by teams who should know better, again and again, you must have an established no.1 and a no.2 otherwise it ends up with this kind of partiality.

From an objective point of view the result is only good news for RBR and those who support them, for F1 in general it is, in my opinion, bad news. Most will not want another season of Red Bull domination, with the same driver usually winning and hopefully the opposition will finally catch up.

Speaking of which I feel some sympathy for Nico Rosberg too, whilst acknowledging Ross Brawn's understandable priority of actually finishing a much needed 3rd and 4th and what can one say about McLaren.

Yes it was an exciting race but again in my opinion, with the wrong winner.

#32 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:59

Wow, that was a fascinating and intense race!
What an as* Vettel is, first not doing as told - turning up the wick and going past, and then afterwards saying he didn't do it deliberately!! What??
And his engineer; "you wanted it more" - ding-ding, award for the stupidest comment ever.

No way on earth Webber will do as told now, 'cause this means gloves are off for real.

Encouraging showing from Mercedes this weekend, but as so often last year, they again had to go to severe fuel-saving tactics. Could they have challenged and/or beaten Red Bull if they could've gone all out? I don't think so.

Dissapointing result for Ferrari today, but Alonso can only blame himself. Not too bad work from Massa today, a good weekend overall, but I feel Alonso would have been a good deal ahead today, had he survived.

Grosjean has redeemed himself somewhat, even if it was clear Räikkönen's pace was a good deal better. A very scruffy race for Räikkönen, in a way always being in the wrong position. Did he damage his car when he bounced back onto the circuit?

Very, very positive signs from McLaren today. They were right on Mercedes, Lotus' and Ferrari's pace, or atleast very close. Shame about Button falling victim of McLaren's clumsiness in the pits.

Feel for Force India today. What a mess! They had a really good race-car today I think.

Not too bad I guess, from Bottas.

Three week break, but there's enough to digest from this weekend to survive :)

#33 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:11

You are too much. Webber had the measure of Vettel today.

Not even close.

No way on earth Webber will do as told now, 'cause this means gloves are off for real.

So nothing changes? Webber has never done as told.

#34 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,750 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:46

Delta, delta, delta for most of the race. Arghhhhhh

#35 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,956 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:50

Shades of Didier Pironi on Gilles Villeneuve at Ferrari in 1982. Clear breach of team protocol. As much as we like to see a race to the flag, when a team have a 1-2 in the bag the team orders always come out and understandably. Seb betrayed the whole team and calls into question his character. poor, poor judgement.

#36 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:53

Man of the race: Sebastian Vettel
Looser of the race: Sebastian Vettel

The first is quite clear, the second is the eyes of some fans.

Amazing race by Seb, racing and overtaking amazingly well. Wrong on ignoring teamorders but did not the vast majority of fans want 'real racing'?

:lol:

#37 kedia990

kedia990

• 433 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:22

Webber: "multi 21 seb, multi 21"

???

Multi 21: Hold position while in a 1-2. Team order code.

#38 ElDictatore

ElDictatore

• 1,278 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:25

Shame about Button falling victim of McLaren's clumsiness in the pits.

Not sure if it was his or the team's error.

Judging by this, the lights weren't fully green, not sure if his side was the same. So let's see what he and the team have to say about this (I don't have sky, so didn't see an interview with him so far.)

Edit: better quali

Edited by ElDictatore, 24 March 2013 - 12:26.

#39 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:26

The first is quite clear, the second is the eyes of some fans.

Amazing race by Seb, racing and overtaking amazingly well. Wrong on ignoring teamorders but did not the vast majority of fans want 'real racing'?

:lol:

Seems to be in the eyes of all fans, bar the odd vettel trollfan

Advertisement

#40 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:26

That had to be the most sour podium I've since in quite a while.

After one of the most cheerful podiums in a long time just a week ago in Melbourne....

#41 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:27

Seems to be in the eyes of all fans, bar the odd vettel trollfan

Seems not.

That's not how you mess up a teammates 200th GP celebration. Vettel has his fallout coming.

#42 GodHimself

GodHimself

• 402 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:28

After one of the most cheerful podiums in a long time just a week ago in Melbourne....

Formula 1 is a lady after all. ;)

Edited by GodHimself, 24 March 2013 - 12:29.

#43 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:28

That was unbelievable to hear :down:

#44 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 11,798 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:32

That was unbelievable to hear :down:

A bit sad that this is being overshadowed by the later antics.

#45 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:33

What an as* Vettel is, first not doing as told - turning up the wick and going past, and then afterwards saying he didn't do it deliberately!! What??
And his engineer; "you wanted it more" - ding-ding, award for the stupidest comment ever.

Encouraging showing from Mercedes this weekend, but as so often last year, they again had to go to severe fuel-saving tactics. Could they have challenged and/or beaten Red Bull if they could've gone all out? I don't think so.

Dissapointing result for Ferrari today, but Alonso can only blame himself. Not too bad work from Massa today, a good weekend overall, but I feel Alonso would have been a good deal ahead today, had he survived.

Grosjean has redeemed himself somewhat, even if it was clear Räikkönen's pace was a good deal better. A very scruffy race for Räikkönen, in a way always being in the wrong position. Did he damage his car when he bounced back onto the circuit?

Very, very positive signs from McLaren today. They were right on Mercedes, Lotus' and Ferrari's pace, or atleast very close. Shame about Button falling victim of McLaren's clumsiness in the pits.

Feel for Force India today. What a mess! They had a really good race-car today I think.

Very good sum up, race addicted.

I'd like to add, Alonso had not only to blame himself - going into Seb's behind was obviously out of his control, his car oversteering, Seb slowing down massively.
Not going into the pits I too did not understand but from what transpired Fernando himself did not see the full extent of the damage, he even retook Webber and the team failed to call him into the pits.

Great to see Lewis sincerely sorry for Nico - there is true friendship, it seems. Quite the contrary to RBR. Also, Ross Brawn with his calm, objective way kept the horses in the stable, while Christian Horner was not able to rein in his German horse.

#46 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:34

Formula 1 is a lady after all.;)

:up:

#47 Puhoon

Puhoon

• 241 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:35

Probably to cover Hamilton's earlier stop.

Edited by Puhoon, 24 March 2013 - 12:36.

#48 MarileneRiddle

MarileneRiddle

• 399 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:36

Mark Webber should stop hiding his poor skill behind a wounded façade. When you have personally advocated racing against team orders, it is just stupid to cry wolf now.

Red Bull should stop trying to back Webber when he is in meltdown mode. 1. He wouldn't be grateful to them anyway; 2. It will come back as bad press because people think they are trying to cover up their pro-Sebastian sentimentalities anyway.

Sebastian Vettel should just stop apologizing. It was a bad move back in 2008, it is still a bad move now.

#49 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:36

Button's pace was fine but Perez was nowhere.

#50 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:40

Who would have thought a podium including Räikkönen would be remembered because of the cheerfulness just one week later...
--------
I didn't like this race at all. I usually find something to make me smile after a race: one of my favourite drivers- who are almost all of them- got a good result, a nice pass, whatever little nice thing. Today, with such an amount of soap opera behaviour, bad calls, pit-stop problems... everybody ended up in a bad mood. Nasty.