Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Will Mark Webber last the season with Red Bull? [merged]

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Mark Webber last the season with Red Bull? (213 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Mark Webber last the season with Red Bull?

1. Yes and stay into 2014 (41 votes [19.25%])

Percentage of vote: 19.25%

2. Yes and move elsewhere/retire at end of season (141 votes [66.20%])

Percentage of vote: 66.20%

3. No, he is fired mid-season (8 votes [3.76%])

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

4. No, he leaves of own accord mid-season (21 votes [9.86%])

Percentage of vote: 9.86%

5. Other (2 votes [0.94%])

Percentage of vote: 0.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,314 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:20

After today's events and Webber's comments afterwards. What are the odds of Red Bull deciding, enough is enough. It's not the first time Webber has publicly talked his team down. Don't get me wrong, I'm on Webber's side 100%, but seeing as Vettel is so much integrated into the team (especially with Marko and Horner) I can imagine them saying that Webber's time is up. And Buemi will probably hardly keep up with Vettel anyway but still able to score decent points, so for them it would be a win win.

I believe the only thing keeping Webber at Red Bull is the owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

Mod edit - Two threads of very similar scope, so have merged.

Advertisement

#2 Lennat

Lennat

• 2,041 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:22

Or get someone like Kovalainen, or promote one of the Torro Rosso guys...

But to be honest, it would look bad to fire Mark because VETTEL didn't respect team orders. :)

#3 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 2,559 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:24

no, there probably will be an apology picture like after istanbul and that's it.

#4 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 1,132 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:25

Webber was actually very magnanimous under the circumstances.....

#5 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:25

As a Ferrari fan, I sure hope they would put a less competitive driver next to Vettel midseason.

#6 fololo

fololo

• 960 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:26

They will get a slow driver, than they have no problem with fingerboy

Rbr most evil team!

#7 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:26

As a Ferrari fan, I sure hope they would put a less competitive driver next to Vettel midseason.

:up: :lol:

#8 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:27

The main reason he is kept there is to make the team remotely likeable

#9 scg92

scg92

• 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:28

After today's events and Webber's comments afterwards. What are the odds of Red Bull deciding, enough is enough. It's not the first time Webber has publicly talked his team down. Don't get me wrong, I'm on Webber's side 100%, but seeing as Vettel is so much integrated into the team (especially with Marko and Horner) I can imagine them saying that Webber's time is up. And Buemi will probably hardly keep up with Vettel anyway but still able to score decent points, so for them it would be a win win.

I believe the only thing keeping Webber at Red Bull is the owner Dietrich Mateschitz.

I have to say, the team owner wanting him there is quite a big factor... What anybody else in the team thinks doesn't really matter.

#10 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:29

I don't think they will replace Mark. After all Vettel was in the wrong, and even Horner took Mark's side this time. It would look silly if they replace Mark because of this.

#11 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,787 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:30

Put kimi on the other car, so that they can have a real intra team battle.

#12 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Totally lost on the OP however. Valid thread though - Webber won't be with the team in 2014 and that was made pretty clear last weekend, if anyone was paying attention.

... probably not.

#13 joora

joora

• 351 posts

I really can't see Mark being fired for today, since even without public criticism it was obvious what was happening on track. Only thing what I can see is that Mr. Dietrich orders that the team gets vettel in order.

#14 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Red Bull should just accept that Vettel is another Alonso, so if he is one of their drivers then they should do the team orders such that Webber is required to be the second driver rather than continuing with the more equal drivers approach.

#15 alframsey

alframsey

• 5,034 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:32

I thought Webber dealt with the situation very well tbh, if it were me in his shoes I'd have gone up to him right after the race and given him a slap! I hope people are starting to see Vettel's true colours now.

#16 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:33

He's definitely not going to get fired, can you imagine the insane amount of negative pr that would get them? Could fully see mark walking away if he was able to though

Edited by superdelphinus, 24 March 2013 - 11:34.

#17 ArkZ

ArkZ

• 611 posts

Actually Dietrich Mateschitz like and respect Webber ,I heard he was the one who wanted to extend Webber contract.

#18 STIGG

STIGG

• 296 posts

Webber done nothing wrong here. As others have said he was very magnanimous. When talking to Sky after the race he paused several times to carefully consider his word. Vettel is the one RB will be angry with after today. Even Helmut Marko didn't blame Webber and said they would need to talk to Vettel. Now that says it all.

#19 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:34

Edit: Thread title changed, my post was in reference to the old title. Yes I think Webber will last the season.

Edited by fisssssi, 24 March 2013 - 17:08.

Advertisement

#20 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,249 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:35

This is exactly what Vettel wants. Red Bull are invested in him and he is the quicker driver.

If the drivers situation becomes untenable, regardless of whether he is at fault, they are not going to give Vettel the sack.

By putting in a lap dog second driver, Vettel has a team for life.

#21 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:35

Hopefully Mark stays for this year so that Seb kicks his ass one more time. Then he can go.

#22 wiligates

wiligates

• 5,111 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:42

Even Helmut Marko didn't blame Webber and said they would need to talk to Vettel. Now that says it all.

I'm sure he be given a harsh spanking.With a feather.

#23 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 1,593 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:16

I would be surprised if Webber isn't having a friendly chat with his former race engineer Ciaron Pilbeam over the next few weeks over the odds of Grosjean losing his seat and there being an opening at Lotus, for next year , if not earlier.

Then push Vettel for all he's worth not caring about the team game.

#24 Jejking

Jejking

• 3,111 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:16

I was expecting Webber to lash out at the podium, camp was waking up already when they (Newey, Vettel) were talking behind the scenes and Webber entered the room. Problem is, I think Webber sealed his own fate (despite being in the right today, Vettel took it after ignoring the teams wishes, he should have cracked Webber earlier before the final stops in order to deserve the win) with his comments on the podium and this is MW's last year at RB. DM kept MW in the loop despite Hamilton seeked help from Bernie to join RB, and that's respectful but one of those two guys is leaving at the end of the season. It's either Vettel who majorly distrusted his team, or Webber who is possibly going to be behind Vettel in a good bunch of races and decides it's enough.

Edited by Jejking, 24 March 2013 - 12:17.

#25 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:41

Totally lost on the OP however. Valid thread though - Webber won't be with the team in 2014 and that was made pretty clear last weekend, if anyone was paying attention.

... probably not.

Was that about as clear as Webber moving to Ferrari in 2011 and 2012?

#26 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,234 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:58

If Webber leaves, it'll be because he's had enough of the politics at RBR, rather than getting fired or any other reason. The thing is, Webber will be needed ideally, till 2014 at least and here's why.

The next driver in the young driver program is Antonio da Costa. He'll probably make his debut after the summer break. However, I don't think they'd promote da Costa straight away after just half a season, even if he did very well. Even Sebastian Vettel was given a year before he made the switch to Red Bull.

But what if Webber does decide that he has had enough of it and retires? Someone like Romain Grosjean, Adrian Sutil, or even the remaining TR driver for a year or Heikki Kovalainen. So, it really hinges on how much drive Webber has left after this incident.

#27 Taxi

Taxi

• 4,787 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:03

No way Mak Webber is leaving.

#28 gowebber

gowebber

• 7,217 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:05

DM has Mark's back and he can decide when and if he wants to leave. Mark was right to be pissed off given what transpired. Mark drove a great race today and for once had a nice start too. Gloves are off and it will be interesting to see what happens from here.

#29 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:08

Red Bull should just accept that Vettel is another Alonso, so if he is one of their drivers then they should do the team orders such that Webber is required to be the second driver rather than continuing with the more equal drivers approach.

Ever heard of a contract? :wave: I bet there's nowhere in Webber's contract that states he's a designated #2.

#30 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:09

Even Helmut Marko didn't blame Webber and said they would need to talk to Vettel. Now that says it all.

Indeed, if Marko's siding with Webber, then Vettel's really screwed the pooch.

#31 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:11

Wait for Brazil, punt Vettel into the wall and hand the WDC to Kimi or Lewis or Alonso, then walk off into the sunset.

#32 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 13:17

Wait for Brazil, punt Vettel into the wall and hand the WDC to Kimi or Lewis or Alonso, then walk off into the sunset.

So you don't expect Mark to be in the title fight come Brazil? That's a bit harsh on him.

#33 Nahnever

Nahnever

• 260 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:03

There's just too much bad air in the team between the two drivers, and something has to give. And that obviously isn't going to be Vettel.

So short of Webber winning the WDC, I can't see how he stays. The only question is who will be his replacement.

Agree?

As for my pick, if Sutil keeps up the good performance, he might just luck out.

Edited by Nahnever, 24 March 2013 - 14:04.

#34 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:05

^ Red Bull will ensure he's not, i'm afraid.

KERS, clutch, pitstops....

#35 PMM3

PMM3

• 251 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:12

Nothing new has come up - The team already knew Mark Webber well enough as a driver who is neither a strong WDC contender nor a good 'happy to pick a few wins and points' No#2. yet they have kept him on for many many years. Even when there was a chance to sign up Hamilton for this year and create the strongest line up, they kept this fiddling under achiever on the team. So unless Mark feels humiliated enough by the constant pasting he gets from Vettel and decides to leave on his own, I don't see it changing for next year.

Now another angle is Vettel getting all pissed off with this incident and its potential escalations through the year, and deciding to leave for a Ferrari or the likes. McLaren should be desperate for a top driver as well.

#36 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:15

Hopefully, I'm starting to get tired of Webber.

#37 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:16

I'm hoping Vettel ****s off to Ferrari, along with Marko. Love to see Marko telling Domenicali what to do!

#38 Deluxx

Deluxx

• 2,324 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:17

I think it's way too early to perceive anything for next year.

Edited by Deluxx, 24 March 2013 - 14:19.

#39 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:17

But as for a pick to replace either Webber or Vettel, I dont think you can go past Jules Bianchi at the moment.

Advertisement

#40 aray

aray

• 5,796 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:18

RB would never let their pet douche go.....so i agree,it is going to be Mr.Webber... ;)

#41 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:19

If only it does not come out they have two free seats :)

#42 dau

dau

• 5,373 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:19

Yea, i remember all those blatant attempts to sabotage Webber in the last three years. After which he signed up again and again, and again.

#43 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 980 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:24

As for my pick, if Sutil keeps up the good performance, he might just luck out.

But his teammate was performing better than him today before the pit stop problems :drunk: . I can't see Sutil joining a top team, imo.

#44 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:28

^ would you sign your way OUT of the best car?

Webber gets assurances by DM, he re-signs. Then the team **** him over one way or another.

#45 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:31

I can't believe that some people it's trying to spin this into "RB is the victim". There is zero reasons to fire Webber.

#46 AJFIN

AJFIN

• 237 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:44

?

I was thinking Schumacher.

#47 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:44

Webber has an ally in Mateschitz. That could be crucial. It might put Vettel in danger more. After all, RB could have had Hamilton had they not wanted to upset Vettel; they could probably get Alonso if they wanted. It might be a bit better for publicity if Red Bull showed IT was the factor, not Vettel...

#48 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:46

so lie, in other words.

#49 BCM

BCM

• 1,964 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:48

I reckon Mark is going to quit mid season.

#50 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 14:48

I've merged the two 'Will Webber be replaced' threads so there is not a huge overlap of content. Poll also added.

As always if you have any questions, feel free to PM one of the team.