* * - - - 3 votes

What Do You Feel about F1?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 17:47

When you hear a very talented driver in today's F1 say this...

Q: Lewis, your thoughts? Obviously this circuit is a fairly extreme one but do you see the picture continuing?
LH: I probably do, yeah. These tyres make it very hard, very difficult to make them last and particularly for me today, I wasn’t really able to make my tyres last as much as I wanted. I was fuel saving from an early point in the race which lost me a lot of time but generally these tyres make... it’s not fun, I didn’t enjoy the race. It’s not the same as back in the day when you had stints where you are pushing to the maximum the whole time, you had tyres that would last. Now you’re just... it’s like you have a hundred dollars and you have to spend it wisely over a period of time. It makes racing a lot different. It’s more strategic rather than pure speed racing.

Do we have a proper sporting contest between the worlds most talented drivers under the current conditions?

Are we happy to see F1 continue like this for the future?

Me personally, it makes me wonder what I'm watching, should this be what the pinnacle of Motorsport on this planet is be about?, and that is "Tyre Management" and nothing else matters.

Advertisement

#2 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:01

I posted this elsewhere, but think it´s also relevant to this thread so here it goes:

Although it is not new, wow, what a perfect sample today's race was of how f....d up F1 is:

1. Have you read the driver interviews? From what I read, MW, SV, NR and LH were talking about driving to 80% and constantly being "administered" from the pit. Furthermore, all those pit stops are reducing the probability of there being battles on the track and when these battles are more likely, the end of the race, drivers are told to "hold station" (see below).

2. A driver has to apologize for passing another? I know, I know, he apologized for not following a TO, but still, doesn't it seem extremely twisted? As a contrast, and maybe more of a contribution to the specific subject of this thread, how many of you would have liked Massa to disobey at HH 2010?

3. People, drivers, team principals talking about holding station after the last stops as if it was the most normal thing in the world? Sadly, it's normal in today's F1, but, isn't that contrary to what most see as a sport? Aren't the last parts of a sporting event supposed to be the best and most exciting (OT, last rounds, last legs, last innings, etc., etc.).

4. Wouldn't it be in the best interest of most drivers (notice "most") to solve this via the Driver's Association? Do you think it would be possible for them to agree not to abide by TOs as a group? That way they could at least make their position vis a vis the teams contracting them stronger and give them more bargaining power. Then we could really see if the drivers benefiting the most from TOs live up to their words of "my teammate should have won". What this sport needs is more power given to the real starts of the show, not the political, paid-by-results, corporate muppet bench warmers that are the team principals.

#3 apoka

apoka

• 5,878 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:10

I like the action during the races, but there are many things I don't like:

* delta "racing" for too large parts of the race
* too much randomness sometimes
* even more team orders and that we have basically gone from disliking team orders to disliking drivers not following team orders (which is on the one hand understandable, but also sad and very much in line with the general development of F1)
* there could be more action in FPs and Q with more sets of tyres allowed

#4 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:12

In F1, you need to things to make it appealing: speed, and an entertaining show.

They've implemented the show with the shitty tyres and DRS.

And F1's are still fast.

As long as they have this cocktail, they'll be happy. What drivers think doesn't matter.

Edited by Ravenak, 24 March 2013 - 18:12.

#5 Number62

Number62

• 522 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:22

1. No component on an F1 car should have designed in frailty, so fix it Pirelli.
2. No f1 car should start with deliberately too little fuel
3 . The bloke with the earphones on the pitwall should not dictate the speed of the car, so ban pit to car radio (also fixes 2)

That's how I feel.

#6 LewEngBridewell

LewEngBridewell

• 58 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:24

Did anyone watch F1 in 2005? The European GP of 2005, and Raikkonen's loss of victory through tyre delamination?

THEN comment about fragile tyres.

#7 eronrules

eronrules

• 3,395 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:27

it's ok. we saw nothing new in malaysia. in some regards, i actually enjoyed the last quarter of the race, what with all those radio message and 'Running to a DElta' by rosberg :p

#8 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:28

Did anyone watch F1 in 2005? The European GP of 2005, and Raikkonen's loss of victory through tyre delamination?

The 2005 regulations were vastly different, in case you missed it.

#9 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:29

Me personally, it makes me wonder what I'm watching, should this be what the pinnacle of Motorsport on this planet is be about?, and that is "Tyre Management" and nothing else matters.

It definitely lessens the value of it for me watching. I haven't enjoyed F1 all that much since 2010, just I feel so vested in it that I obviously keep watching.

Edited by PretentiousBread, 24 March 2013 - 18:29.

#10 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:29

I think that both fans and drivers who don't like it should just move on and stop moaning
F1 is what it is, don't like it there's the exit ----> :wave:

JC

#11 LewEngBridewell

LewEngBridewell

• 58 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 18:33

The 2005 regulations were vastly different, in case you missed it.

I don't care how different they were, they were still about making tyres last, because you only had one set! All the same petty whining was going on back then too.

There'll always be some sort of blah blah blah

#12 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:00

Q: Lewis, your thoughts? Obviously this circuit is a fairly extreme one but do you see the picture continuing?
LH: I probably do, yeah. These tyres make it very hard, very difficult to make them last and particularly for me today, I wasn’t really able to make my tyres last as much as I wanted. I was fuel saving from an early point in the race which lost me a lot of time but generally these tyres make... it’s not fun, I didn’t enjoy the race. It’s not the same as back in the day when you had stints where you are pushing to the maximum the whole time, you had tyres that would last. Now you’re just... it’s like you have a hundred dollars and you have to spend it wisely over a period of time. It makes racing a lot different. It’s more strategic rather than pure speed racing.

Do we have a proper sporting contest between the worlds most talented drivers under the current conditions?

By the way, the very fact that your thread has 10 answers and all the Mercedes and RB ones much more than that, should give you a clue of why F1 is the way it is nowadays...

#13 S3baman

S3baman

• 2,864 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:11

I don't care how different they were, they were still about making tyres last, because you only had one set! All the same petty whining was going on back then too.

There'll always be some sort of blah blah blah

You can't compare a tire that was flat spotted almost all the way down to the canvas. And even then, the tire is more durable than these crappy Pirellis that don't even last 12 laps without pushing them. How can you say it's the same thing is beyond me I'm sorry.

#14 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:12

I think I'd prefer it a little more "Boring" if what I was watching was drivers push to the max for most of the race.

I mean 6 years ago, on Bridgestones, Ferrari and Mclaren trading blows, Kimi, Alonso, Hamilton, Massa, that was one of the best seasons I've seen in the last few years and it was genuine, 4 top drivers having a great battle throughout the season.

Maybe it's right only 2 or 3 teams can win races every week on the whole, that's how it should be, the very best competing.

After 2007, we added KERS, we added DRS, do we really need these tyres, would it not be better to have KERS, have DRS and make the tyres a bit more durable, I think if we did then we'd have something a bit more honest.

There may be more ways to mix it up, bring back refueling, tyre compounds must be alternated on each pitstop, I just hate knowing these drivers are not pushing, and for me that needs addressing.

#15 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:15

I happen to agree with John Hindhaugh's view on this... F1 should be about pure speed, and the strategic side of things and all the economy issues should be left for endurance sportscar racing.

It's funny to look at these F1 Pirellis that last for 5 laps, and then Le Mans where drivers do full triple and quadruple stints with same tyres, as well as try to work on fuel economy.

#16 PurpleHam

PurpleHam

• 562 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:17

By the way, the very fact that your thread has 10 answers and all the Mercedes and RB ones much more than that, should give you a clue of why F1 is the way it is nowadays...

I know, this forum has some of the most passionate informed fans of any F1 internet forum and it looks like not many give a ****.

I would have thought this thread would have been full of fans saying it's just not F1, lets bin these tyres asap.

#17 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:18

Gotta say, I really enjoyed this race.
The difference in laptime between a set of tyres at the end of a stint and a new pair made the pit windows really interesting.

Though I have to say, the other day I saw a replay of the 2007 Malaysian gp and loved how the drivers were pushing the cars all throughout the race.

#18 ANF

ANF

• 29,234 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:21

That Hamilton quote brings China 2007 to my mind...

#19 Kerch

Kerch

• 1,224 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:23

I'd be 100% against the tyres if it wasn't for the fact RB would probably lap the field if they could push every lap.

I think DRS is good technology which has a place in F1, but the way it's implemented isn't fair from a sporting perspective. I believe every driver should get the same number of activations (around 20 or so) which they can use strategically. It would still create overtaking, because the leading driver would not know exactly when the chasing driver is going to use it.

Advertisement

#20 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:26

They were allowed to change tyres in 2005, if the tyre showed a significant amount of damage, as stated by James Allen.

Raikkonen's ego got in his way as usual, he refused to pit when Ron Dennis told him to do so. He would've gotten a podium if he pitted, but he wanted the victory, and as a result got absolutely nothing. It did gift Alonso a further 10 points in the championship, though.

#21 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:28

Lots of people have been saying it for a while, just looks at the DRS and new Pirelli tyres thread. Many have been quite vocal as to how disillusioned they are, myself included. The buzzword used by Hembery the most, with Whitmarsh among others who seem equally keen to use it is "show". I think most fans were happy with the promise of an improved "show" but not at the price of losing racing, and I don't mean racing at 80%/5 secs off ultimate pace (or whatever it may in fact be) but flat out fastest drivers in the fastest cars driving their fastest, with limits being pushed, sometimes overstepped, and the slow being exposed. I know as far as I'm concerned, there was plenty of "show" back then.

Edited by Markn93, 24 March 2013 - 20:31.

#22 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 945 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:30

F1 in Malaysia today was about as interesting as IndyCars today in St Pete under full yellows (yes, a moron managed to crash into Power under yellows). when IndyCars were racing, it was much more interesting than the pirelli disaster called F1.

#23 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:31

I feel F1 has went too far down the entertainment path than sport path. Sport can't be exciting and thrilling and unpredictable all the time. F1 races are far too slow now in my opinion. You never know who is slow and who is not during races. Who cares if the fastest man in the fastest car wins the races. That's what racing in F1 should be about speed. I am sick of hearing look after tyres after just a few laps of running, its getting on my nerves.

I find this current Delta driving very boring and very unattractive.

I hope things will change in the future, but I somehow doubt it.

Edited by Massa_f1, 24 March 2013 - 20:33.

#24 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 18,041 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:32

I don't sympathise with Lewis in particular as it's the same for everyone but he does make a point, it doesn't sound fun. I'm pretty convinced he wouldn't be complaining if he was winning though. The last time we had indestructible tyres the racing was nowhere near as good as it's been the last couple years so as a spectator it's much better this way. Sorry Lewis.

#25 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 8,724 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:34

F1 in Malaysia today was about as interesting as IndyCars today in St Pete under full yellows (yes, a moron managed to crash into Power under yellows). when IndyCars were racing, it was much more interesting than the pirelli disaster called F1.

Not to mention the great finish in Indycar.

#26 SenorSjon

SenorSjon

• 17,538 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:35

Raikonnen flatspotted it's own tire and during the race it became worst until his suspension gave way.

They were allowed to change tyres in 2005, if the tyre showed a significant amount of damage, as stated by James Allen.

Raikkonen's ego got in his way as usual, he refused to pit when Ron Dennis told him to do so. He would've gotten a podium if he pitted, but he wanted the victory, and as a result got absolutely nothing. It did gift Alonso a further 10 points in the championship, though.

And no, this was not allowed. Only after his crash, the FIA finally recognized the need that a car should be able to pit for this. Before that, only punctures could be changed.

2005 was a complete laps in rulemaking. And it only got worse. When we changed cars in 2009 so cars could follow each other more easily, they were thinking about Bridgestone/Michelin. Not Pirelli tires that cook and go when within 2,5 seconds of anyone else.

I found it a complete farce that the hard tire only lasted around 10 laps. Hard tires should be one stop material. I remember Schumacher won in France due a special 4-stopper. Today almost whole the field stopped 4 times...

#27 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:56

I'd like to see what kind of races we'd get with Bridgestoneish tyres and DRS/KERS.

#28 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,621 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:56

I don't sympathise with Lewis in particular as it's the same for everyone but he does make a point, it doesn't sound fun. I'm pretty convinced he wouldn't be complaining if he was winning though. The last time we had indestructible tyres the racing was nowhere near as good as it's been the last couple years so as a spectator it's much better this way. Sorry Lewis.

I don't think it's just tyres that are the issue I think it's the formula as a whole. No refueling coupled with these tyres and DRS is just far too much artificial for my liking. Tyres, I think it's clear why very few like them, no refueling removes a key component of a driver's race, the strategy which they had to set there store by in qualifying and live with the decision, and to those who say there is strategy nowadays, it's more a case of drivers reacting to one another based on how tyres are performing during the race, ie such is the unpredictability of these tyres that we have to simply wait and see during the race before deciding what we do. I think as much as teams try to understand them, more often than not and certainly this year with the rather unique race day conditions we've had so far, teams enter the race somewhat blind and adapt on the fly. As for DRS, if you were asked to compile a list of the 1000 best F1 overtakes of all time (make it 2000 if you really want) how many DRS ones would feature? Exactly.

It would only be fair now to point out a positive with this formula and that is the lightning quick pitstops. They are very exciting and time can be lost and found very quickly and the best ones just look like poetry in motion. 2.3 seconds to change four tyres is incredible, luckily we get to see plenty of them (low blow, I know).

Maybe the answer is some if not all of these factors, I for one (having not given this much thought) would like to see a tyre somewhere between the Bridgestone of 2010 and the Pirellis of the last few years (I know they've changed slightly but I'm grouping them in the 'degrade easily, can't push on them tyre' versus the 'indestructible' Bridgestone). I think KERS or ERS as it will be from next year has a part to play in F1, I especially like the way the drivers strategically dole the extra bhp out per lap, both as an overtaking tool and a defensive one. Finally I think refuelling similarly has a part to play, if for no other reason than the cars are incredibly lethargic (by their standards) on full fuel and the impact of running so heavily on the tyres is quite severe, and it would provide an element of unpredictability to satisfy those whose main concern is the "show".

#29 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 20:58

Raikonnen flatspotted it's own tire and during the race it became worst until his suspension gave way.

And no, this was not allowed. Only after his crash, the FIA finally recognized the need that a car should be able to pit for this. Before that, only punctures could be changed.

I'm pretty sure he had the option of changing the tyre and that tyre only, with a pit stop.

That's what Allen is shouting about here.

#30 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:01

http://duncanstephen...ormula-1-today/

Team orders controversies highlight the question facing Formula 1 today

"The teams were simply holding station. This is a perfectly normal way for a team to end a race, particularly when conditions are marginal. That’s why, for instance, Damon Hill was able to win the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix without being challenged by his team mate. The torrential rain made it far too risky. In today’s F1 — all about saving engines and tyres — conditions are ALWAYS marginal. So holding station is a natural way for a team to approach a race.""

Interesting take on todays F1. :up:

#31 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:15

You sure about that? He was beaming after finishing a modest 4th in India last year because he drove a flat out race (please watch the interview, particularly from 4:00 onwards)

Conversely, Webber and Vettel, who both dominated this weekend, have both been complaining incessantly about the tyres. Even afterwards, Webber who should have won (can't blame the tyres) had this to say:

Q: (Trent Price - Richland F1) Mark, obviously yesterday there were a lot of unknowns surrounding tyres going into this race but you’ve executed basically what was a perfect race in terms of the tyre management. That must give you some confidence for the rest of the year.

MW: Yeah, you’re right, going into the event we were pretty concerned. Some of our long runs before the Grand Prix itself were pretty poor but these guys are not resting on any laurels, particularly, again, our key beacon in Adrian Newey, Adrian is working hard. The thing is I think it’s quite good for the neutral, good for the fans and good for probably new people that are following Formula One, but the old - let’s say people who have more of a grasp of the sport and more education of where the sport was - it’s still a little bit hit and miss. With what we had, probably not much of an idea that’s how the race would go for us today. I was surprised that other people were not with us, completely, people won’t believe that but that’s the case, and also I think, for the junior categories they need to get the tyres and things better for young drivers to learn how to push the cars to the limit and drive absolutely on the edge. You watch Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer play each other and it’s playing with the lines, it’s playing with precision for a five set match and we all enjoy watching that but at the moment we’re driving at eight and a half tenths, eight tenths, conserving our pace and some more situations like this will probably happen in the future because there’s a lot of ambiguity in who’s (on the) pace and who’s quick. Seb feels he’s strong only in the middle of the race then I could respond. The racing is completely around nursing and trying to make the tyres survive and they’re not conducive to driving a car on the limit. You don’t see us really pushing on the limit. Obviously Seb and I had a push in the middle in our last stint but generally no drivers are really on the limit today. I don’t know if I answered your question but anyway, that’s my little rant.

#32 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:20

Raikkonen's ego got in his way as usual, he refused to pit when Ron Dennis told him to do so. He would've gotten a podium if he pitted, but he wanted the victory, and as a result got absolutely nothing.

It´s funny how when you have watched something as a brat, and all your judgements are based on youtube highlights watched later, you repeat word by word like a parrot what the commentator of the video you´ve watched say :lol:

Anyway being in the James Allen side of the discussion against Brundle should make you think a bit about if what you say makes sense.

Then there´s also the double standards red alert, as usual with your posts. Tell me kid, whose ego got in the way of a good result today? Could someone have got a better result if he had pitted? Because today it was allowed to pit, unlike in the other situation you mentioned. Now you´ll see how silly your post was. :lol: Nothing new sadly.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 24 March 2013 - 21:23.

#33 superdelphinus

superdelphinus

• 3,175 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:27

The end of q3 is often the most exciting bit of the whole weekend end for me these days

#34 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:33

Totally agree. I don't blame any of the drivers for what happened today; the fact is they should never have been put in that position. What's next - no racing after the first pitstop? No racing after the first corner?

#35 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:35

What's next - no racing after the first pitstop? No racing after the first corner?

We´ve already had that last decade, remember? :lol:

#36 choyothe

choyothe

• 2,312 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:42

The end of q3 is often the most exciting bit of the whole weekend end for me these days

Nah the start is still more exciting.

#37 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:47

If drivers don't like the current style of F1, there are plenty of other sports or pastimes that'll give them the adrenaline rush they need. And there are plenty of young drivers who'd love to take their place.

Friends who don't like F1 tell me that it's just cars going round and round in circles, very fast and very loud. I tell them it's much more interesting, subtle and complex; it's about race strategy, the development of transferable technology, good team management and business acumen, image management, entertainment, and many many other things. The way that the teams balance all the different demands is fascinating.

But if what people want is to watch cars going round and round in circles very fast and very loud, and if that's all that drivers want, I can understand why they may be a tad irritated.

#38 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 2,375 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:48

Isn´t that virtually the same topic as "Pirelli - disaster for racing"?

#39 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:50

I think it's a crying shame that we have the first bit of real intra-team racing for ages, and all we hear about from the media (and some fans) afterwards is controversy about the team orders.

Team orders are part of F1 - but they are not sacred. I applaud Vettel for ignoring them - he was faster and he deserved that win. I respect Rosberg's decision to follow them, and I hope Ross Brawn does "remember".

Advertisement

#40 F1EC

F1EC

• 913 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:53

Isn´t that virtually the same topic as "Pirelli - disaster for racing"?

There does seem to be an awful lot of complaining lately. You'd think people would simply go and watch something they enjoy more, rather than come here and whinge about it. But it seems that the F1 business is doing what it does best - encouraging controversy and keeping the debates going.

#41 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 21:58

There does seem to be an awful lot of complaining lately. You'd think people would simply go and watch something they enjoy more, rather than come here and whinge about it. But it seems that the F1 business is doing what it does best - encouraging controversy and keeping the debates going.

Given that this is an F1 fans forum the whinging is hardly surprising when F1 drivers are neither allowed to drive fast or race each other any more.

#42 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:03

I know, this forum has some of the most passionate informed fans of any F1 internet forum and it looks like not many give a shit.

I would have thought this thread would have been full of fans saying it's just not F1, lets bin these tyres asap.

It's because several threads exactly like this (i.e. about tyres and DRS) appear every week, and they include the same arguments over and over again from people on both sides.

#43 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:21

Given that this is an F1 fans forum the whinging is hardly surprising when F1 drivers are neither allowed to drive fast or race each other any more.

HEY, that's not what F1 is about... :clap:

#44 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 22:44

Gotta say, I really enjoyed this race.
The difference in laptime between a set of tyres at the end of a stint and a new pair made the pit windows really interesting.

Though I have to say, the other day I saw a replay of the 2007 Malaysian gp and loved how the drivers were pushing the cars all throughout the race.

The race was exiting from the first to the last race.

Face it, guys: F1 is not a sprint race nor a series of sprint races coupled together. It involves strategy, economy and many other factors.

Back in the 70s Niki Lauda was complaining of "wooden tires" in one year (can't remember when) - that year they had tyres in F1 like they have in Le Mans. Also wasn't right, of course. Now tyres that are too soft (and have noticable higher speed than last year's tyres) are not cool.

I like the fact that the framework (fuel, tyres, DRS, turbos etc) is changing nearly every year - it makes for exiting racing and shaking up the order. Otherwise many of you guys would complain about "boring racing" and "always the same winners".

#45 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 23:24

F1 and many other headline categories are junk. F1 with its 10 lap tyres, flappy wings and other stupidity is not Motor Racing. Lewis is right, you cannot race on the tyres, just a hi speed procession.
Team orders are bad news. Saying that, if they are there they should be followed.
Though the 'team' interference with racing these days really makes a mockery of the sport.
Either the FIA realise that or sooner than later the viewing numbers will plumet, I am surprised they have not yet.

#46 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 23:30

casuals will come and go, the hardcore will watch whatever.

i feel increasing indifference to f1, btw. but i still watch :x

#47 Kingshark

Kingshark

• 2,944 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 23:38

It´s funny how when you have watched something as a brat, and all your judgements are based on youtube highlights watched later, you repeat word by word like a parrot what the commentator of the video you´ve watched say :lol:

Why should I have changed my wording? Yes, I did say about the same thing as James Allen did.

That doesn't change the fact that the 2005 tyres did not regularly break off, what happened at Nurburgring was an exception.

Anyway being in the James Allen side of the discussion against Brundle should make you think a bit about if what you say makes sense.

James Allen was a great commentator before he was struck with a disease called Lewis Hamilton-phobia, you get the point.

Then there´s also the double standards red alert, as usual with your posts. Tell me kid, whose ego got in the way of a good result today? Could someone have got a better result if he had pitted? Because today it was allowed to pit, unlike in the other situation you mentioned. Now you´ll see how silly your post was. :lol: Nothing new sadly.

Ferrari themselves said they weren't ready for Alonso to stop; and Martin Brundle on Sky mentioned that Ferrari didn't even have the tyres prepared when Alonso drove across the start/finish line.
Hell, he even overtook Webber twice in the rain despite having a broken front wing, Gilles Villeneuve style. :)

Dennis had been calling in Raikkonen several laps before the suspension failure.

Nevertheless, this is all coming from a guy, so desperate to seek attention on these forums that he creates a thread with a title like this;
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=183491

:lol:

Edited by Kingshark, 24 March 2013 - 23:40.

#48 steen

steen

• 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 00:17

I think it's a crying shame that we have the first bit of real intra-team racing for ages, and all we hear about from the media (and some fans) afterwards is controversy about the team orders.

Team orders are part of F1 - but they are not sacred. I applaud Vettel for ignoring them - he was faster and he deserved that win. I respect Rosberg's decision to follow them, and I hope Ross Brawn does "remember".

The problem is that's narrow thinking. If team orders become optional, & both drivers decide to take margin out of their cars, & one or both DNF -> 0 WDC/WCC. If the team call was race to the finish line, you may have had a point. If MW continued to race 'til the finish what's the bet they would've wasted the team man-hours gone into the cars. I hope we get more intra-team racing, but I reckon it was just a fix that played out badly.;)