Photo

Steering wheels

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix

Phoenix

• 70 posts

Posted 20 July 1999 - 23:20

I used to have a steering wheel for the PSX....... the rumble force gamester or something like that it is now a dust collector....

I bought this steering wheel when I got Colin Mcraes rally for the psx and tried to use it with the game...... I persisted for ages but did not get very far.... and then I tried my usual dual shock controller and was immeadiately 30 seconds quicker....

I had a similar experiance with Gran Tourismo where using the steering wheel I could get nowhere near the times I set using the normal joypad.....

I found the steering wheel to be totally annoying no matter how hard I tried....

Are all steering wheels like this..... or are there any availiable that can perform as well as the standard joy pad???

Advertisement

#2 Rich

Rich

• 18,296 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 01:41

I can't talk about the Playstation or any other console games, Phoenix, but I couldn't race on my PC without a wheel. As reviewer for a gaming site, I'm in the fortunate position of getting to test the latest hardware for free. Recently, I put both the Microsoft Sidewinder and Logitech Wingman Formula Force wheels through their paces.

As a longtime user of the Thrustmaster T2, I'd always viewed it as the premier budget wheel/pedal set available. But I have to admit, the force feedback sets knock spots off it. The Logitech wheel is the best I've tried - very ergonomic and precise. It also has the most beautiful big gear-shifting paddles mounted on the column. However, the pedals absolutely sucked - no resistance or feeling at all. The Microsoft wheel was less ergonomic (the thumb cut-outs can literally be a pain), and the little gear-shift buttons on the column were a major disappointment. However, the pedals rocked - the best I've ever used. I'd have been happy with either, but eventually opted to buy the Microsoft, simply because my dealer had a six-week delay in getting the Wingman's in.

I use them with force feedback on, even in games like GPL and GP2 which don't support FF. The tactile resistance from the wheel, and lack of a dead spot around TDC, are just infinitely superior to even the venerable old T2.

Somehow, racing on a joystick, pad or keyboard just doesn't 'feel' right for me. Give me a wheel and pedals any day.

#3 Kärjistäjä

Kärjistäjä

• 164 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 01:58

Rich,

I can totally agree you with the fact that the pedals are extremely bad. I personally have a TM NASCAR Super Sport, which is I think quite cheap. The pedals in my wheel are much better. And also I think the forces are way too weak. I just wonder when the FF wheels become good enough, so good that it would actually be intelligent to spent on them. I´ll wait until GP3 comes, maybe then I´ll get a wheel and a new computer.

#4 Kärjistäjä

Kärjistäjä

• 164 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 01:58

Rich,

I can totally agree you with the fact that the pedals are extremely bad. I personally have a TM NASCAR Super Sport, which is I think quite cheap. The pedals in my wheel are much better. And also I think the forces are way too weak. I just wonder when the FF wheels become good enough, so good that it would actually be intelligent to spent on them. I´ll wait until GP3 comes, maybe then I´ll get a bew wheel and a new computer.

#5 Phoenix

Phoenix

• 70 posts

Posted 22 July 1999 - 23:34

so does no one use a playstation steering wheel then??

does this mean they are all crap??

#6 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 24 July 1999 - 00:46

Rich,
Have you tested the ACTLabs Wheel. I'm in the process of getting it for my playstation. Gamecenter.com rated it pretty well. They also make them for the PC.
Phoenix,
The one I'm trying to get you can calibrate. Have you tried that?