* * * * - 2 votes

When Stock Cars Were Sorta Stock

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 15:14

This story was mainly put together for you guys. Remember when stock cars were still kinda stock--and had personality?

This is my favorite era of NASCAR. Lots of interior, chassis, and engine views, with some photos you probably haven't seen before.

Photo Essay: Early NASCAR Tech | Mac's Motor City Garage

Posted Image
Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 17:39

This story was mainly put together for you guys. Remember when stock cars were still kinda stock--and had personality?

This is my favorite era of NASCAR. Lots of interior, chassis, and engine views, with some photos you probably haven't seen before.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I agree. And the cars were less expensive to prepare and run I imagine! I enjoy hi-tech cars but enjoy real racing more. These cars provided that.

#3 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,018 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 18:15

Less expensive to a degree, because some companies involved did not think they were God's gift to mankind but still, the Holman & Moody frame for $5,000, when adjusted for real inflation would still be at least $50,000 dollars today.

#4 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 18:29

Less expensive to a degree, because some companies involved did not think they were God's gift to mankind but still, the Holman & Moody frame for $5,000, when adjusted for real inflation would still be at least $50,000 dollars today.

Interesting. But what do modern NASCAR cars cost?

#5 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,500 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 21:59

Love the plywood template with the childlike arranged lightening holes. Today that same piece doing the same job would probably resemble an aerospace part and cost accordingly. It all looks amateurish and naive in hindsight, but it was honest and real in a way NASCAR will never again be.

#6 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 22:19

Love the plywood template with the childlike arranged lightening holes. Today that same piece doing the same job would probably resemble an aerospace part and cost accordingly. It all looks amateurish and naive in hindsight, but it was honest and real in a way NASCAR will never again be.

Here's what they use now -- "the claw." Fixes all the profiles in multiple planes, obviously, closing some interesting paths of non-compliance. Actually, this is an early version for the COT I photographed at Ganassi in Concord in 2007. Since then it's become more complex -- also, NASCAR doesn't want us calling it "the claw" anymore. I forget what its formal name is.

Posted Image

#7 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 22:20

Interesting. But what do modern NASCAR cars cost?

Maybe 100G's, give or take, less engine.

#8 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 23:29

Here's what they use now -- "the claw." Fixes all the profiles in multiple planes, obviously, closing some interesting paths of non-compliance. Actually, this is an early version for the COT I photographed at Ganassi in Concord in 2007. Since then it's become more complex -- also, NASCAR doesn't want us calling it "the claw" anymore. I forget what its formal name is.

I am surprised they haven't embraced 3D laser scanning. Would be much cheaper and do everything better.

#9 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,500 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 03:10

Maybe 100G's, give or take, less engine.

Great price, does that include the wind tunnel hours? Even if the cars were free it would still cost a fortune to field a competitive team. Which is why it seems ludicrous to focus on containing the nominal cost of them.

#10 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,811 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 13:19

I am surprised they haven't embraced 3D laser scanning. Would be much cheaper and do everything better.

They just recently adopted fuel injection and how you want them to use lasers??? :cool:

#11 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 14:40

Before you know it they'll be at it with carbon fiber and diffusers, mark my words.

Yes, I know it's fibre...

#12 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 14:44

They use scanning extensively at home but there are a couple of issues elsewhere. First, they need something they can truck all over the country and set up, tear down, and use quickly at 36-40 venues. Next, there are advantages in having a large, physical, plainly visible to the naked eye go/no go gauge. Either the car fits or it doesn't, no arguments. None of this your-calibration-is-off, nuh-uh-your-calibration-is-check-it-again.

#13 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 15:45

Somewht related, but not that much, I've read DTM is expanding to the the U.S.

http://www.dtm.com/e...M-and-IMSA.html

Rich cousin's Stock Cars?

Edited by saudoso, 28 March 2013 - 15:46.

#14 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 16:52

Somewht related, but not that much, I've read DTM is expanding to the the U.S.

http://www.dtm.com/e...M-and-IMSA.html

POOR cousin's Stock Cars?

FTFY.

#15 Canuck

Canuck

• 2,388 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 18:48

:rotfl:

#16 bigleagueslider

bigleagueslider

• 1,235 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:42

Cup cars use mostly sheet metal bodywork (except for the hood which is composite). The profile templates used by NASCAR are much easier and cheaper for teams to produce on their own, as well as being much quicker for NASCAR officials to use when checking 36+ cars several times per day. Digital scanning systems would be more accurate, but they would require far more time to check each car. A template and feeler gauge is much faster.

#17 saudoso

saudoso

• 6,776 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:35

FTFY.

Oh, I mean Mercedes intead of Ford Focus, but I guess I deserved that.

#18 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:06

Here's a great old story and a lasting piece of stock car racing lore, Ray Fox's supercharged '65 Dodge that set the closed-course record at Daytona in 1965.

Ray Fox and the Hemi Swamp Monster | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:06

Posted Image
Posted Image

Folks may be interested to know this feature has proven ridicuously popular. For some reason people are fascinated with this era of real, production-based race cars.

Advertisement

#20 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 29,500 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:08

Besides the obvious customer appeal it introduces the possibility of both real failure and real excellence and thus drama. Not like the commie "everyone's special and deserves to be equal" NASCAR philosophy.

#21 Magoo

Magoo

• 3,717 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:28

Besides the obvious customer appeal it introduces the possibility of both real failure and real excellence and thus drama. Not like the commie "everyone's special and deserves to be equal" NASCAR philosophy.

That's an interesting way to frame the issue. To suggest to Brian France that NASCAR has gone Red might make his head explode. Let's try it.

#22 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 3,018 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 21:52

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely man really me?

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days
Oh, yes, those were the days

Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same...

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
Those were the days

#23 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 22:22

Although I spend most of my life looking forward, I'll drink to that Bob.

#24 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 7,642 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 23:38

That's an interesting way to frame the issue. To suggest to Brian France that NASCAR has gone Red might make his head explode. Let's try it.

Make sure you get that on video. The garage would become the most popular site on the net.

#25 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 00:54

Folks may be interested to know this feature has proven ridicuously popular. For some reason people are fascinated with this era of real, production-based race cars.

Not hard to work out. The cars had some resemblance to what the punter drove on the street, Vs his neighbour or workmates car.
Something all these racing series have forgotten.
Not as has been said the commie every player gets a prize!
And by the way, the nose clip, front guards and bonnet and rear panel are all composite, just watching the last 3 laps and the slow down lap on the weekend proved that where Stewart was smashing his 'mate'

#26 RDV

RDV

• 6,765 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:46

Bob Riebe-Oh, yes, those were the days

To quote Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa in the "Gattopardo"= "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change."

#27 slucas

slucas

• 74 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:31

To quote Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa in the "Gattopardo"= "If we want things to stay as they are, things will have to change."

...wasn't it Yogi Berra that said that?

#28 RDV

RDV

• 6,765 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:59

No, he said "The future ain't what it used to be."...and he was right too....