Photo

PSX World Championship : Austria

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SalutGilles

SalutGilles

• 2,149 posts

Posted 20 July 1999 - 12:17

Right. Here, and only here, is where you must post your laptimes for the second round of the world championship.

New racers are welcome to join, but will have to use girly names which I give them.

remember, 24:00 saturday is the deadline

good luck, gentlemen

Advertisement

#2 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 08:42

My 1:08.713 with a high downforce setup is still my best time....so far.
Been playing with the low downforce setup BH got to work..and strangely enough.. its actually quicker through the twisty bits.
Only done a 1:09.1 with it so far, but my 'ideal' time, if only i could get my best time for each sector all on the one lap is a 08.2

so i aint done just yet ;)

#3 The Jauques Man

The Jauques Man

• 142 posts

Posted 21 July 1999 - 11:45

Lots of practice to do I guess.

#4 Blob

Blob

• 49 posts

Posted 22 July 1999 - 04:08

1:10.409

Looks like I've got some work to do...
But anyway, I'm not that far away from your times, comparing to Silverstone.

Btw, making an own forum for racing simulators was a great idea!

#5 The Jauques Man

The Jauques Man

• 142 posts

Posted 22 July 1999 - 07:13

1:09:044

It's possible to shave at least a second off of this, but getting a perfect lap is more diffucult than finishing a GP in a BAR!!!

------------------
"I was very proud of Alan Jones that day. We had the best car at the time, without a doubt, and the only thing we feared was that little French Canadian..."

-Frank Williams, on
Gilles Villeneuve
regarding 1979 Canadian
Grand Prix.

#6 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 6,190 posts

Posted 22 July 1999 - 17:51

1:08.360, qualifying

Ferrari with hard tyres and low downforce setup
Posted Image

#7 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 05:26

1:09.7

i cant get a good lap

#8 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 06:52

i got 1:09.01,
i'm shoking at the second last corner ,buzzing says he takes it flat out , i always take it in 2nd or 3rd gear----- it lookes like turn 3 when you come towards it and then turns out to be a highspeed corner , but i only realise this when i've already done some reasonably heavy braking !

#9 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 09:55

oh well.. i had provisional pole for a week and a half, and im still 4th (i think).

But i dont like the view from back ere*l* look out fellas! im gonna sit meself down with some beer (its fun, ya do a shooter or have a scoff of beer each lap and watch ya laptimes rise, and your lines get more creative/agracultural) and have a full on crack at it before heading out tonite.

#10 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 12:38

i'm on the charge buzzin 1:08.284 in the ferrari.
front dforce ==== 25
rear dforce=====14
24 mm brake discs
normal brake bias
no suspension.

wahooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm on pole !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 20:11

1:07.272

phew... a hard nite at the playstation.

i did my 08.7 over a week ago and couldnt get close to beating it since.
Then things got down to the business end of the 'meeting' and people started putting in 07's, and to be honest i was starting to wonder if people were just plain tuggin my chain.
So tonite i bolted on the setup suggested by Vin, hard tyres and all, thinking to myself how hard tyres could be faster in basically a qualifying situation than softs, and how a low downforce setup could work on this track.....

and bugger me dead if i didnt put in a

1:07.273

Sector times of :
0:23.245
0:46.681

And i came close to that time a few other times aswell, so it wasnt a fluke, although my 'ideal' time with this setup was only 0.027 quicker. So i think i pretty much did my best possible lap.
If you can beat that.. your welcome to the win*l*

Like i said.. i used the 25/18 front/rear downforce, 50/50 brakes, hard tyre setting, driving the willims to do the time.

As for my lines/style...well... here it is.

I put on the "training line" thingy that shows braking points, just as a referace point. Its heaps easier than using signs, trees, whatever.
Turn one: Brake between where the "training line" says to brake, and a sign/breaking marker sticks out off the fence.
My apex of turn one was actually a little on the grass, somewhere between the rumble strip, and the armco barrier on the inside.
I found that by bouncing over the kerbs, it revved the car up to the exact right point you want to accelerate out of the corner. Kinda hard to get right, i mess it up as often as i get it right.
Turn 3: Getting right over to the left of the track and basically breaking as the exact same point the "traning line" says, but turning in a little later.
I found it hard to actually turn into the corner unless i was either on the breaks or on the power, but staying on the brakes cost time, and getting on the power too early puts you off the road, so after breaking (doing it in a straight line) i gave a tiny "blip" on the throttle so itd turn in, and then fully got on the power.
Trun 5: Or is it turn 4? either way.. its the next right...bastard of a corner.
I braked pretty late according to the "training line", going in pretty deep, but being able to get on the throttle and keep on it all the way through the corner as it widens on exit.
I found then when turning in on a normal line, ird run wide over the kerb and have to get off the throttle for a sec.
Turn 6: The first lefty. Sometimes id dab the brakes here, sometimes id just let go of the throttle. But whatever i did, id take a late entry into the corner and then give it welley all through the corner.
If i took a normal line id run wide and have to get out of it again.
Turn 7: Much the same s tory as 6, although i never brake.
I begin to turn in, and then get out of the throttle untill the car begins to pull into the inside kerb a little, and then boot it all the way down to the 2nd last corner.
Turn 9: Either ease off a tad, or lightly dab the brakes...same result, its a almost flat corner.
Turn 10: I get on the brakes and turn in a little later than it looks like you can make, and then just floor it.
Again, you can cut the corner a little like turn 1, but if you cut it too much youll just spin up on the grass on the inside and feck your run up down the straight.

So there ya have it.... thats my bestest lap.

#12 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 20:14

1:07.272

phew... a hard nite at the playstation.

i did my 08.7 over a week ago and couldnt get close to beating it since.
Then things got down to the business end of the 'meeting' and people started putting in 07's, and to be honest i was starting to wonder if people were just plain tuggin my chain.
So tonite i bolted on the setup suggested by Vin, hard tyres and all, thinking to myself how hard tyres could be faster in basically a qualifying situation than softs, and how a low downforce setup could work on this track.....

and bugger me dead if i didnt put in a

Sector times of :
0:23.245
0:46.681

And i came close to that time a few other times aswell, so it wasnt a fluke, although my 'ideal' time with this setup was only 0.027 quicker. So i think i pretty much did my best possible lap.
If you can beat that.. your welcome to the win*l*

Like i said.. i used the 25/18 front/rear downforce, 50/50 brakes, hard tyre setting, driving the willims to do the time.

As for my lines/style...well... here it is.

I put on the "training line" thingy that shows braking points, just as a referace point. Its heaps easier than using signs, trees, whatever.
Turn one: Brake between where the "training line" says to brake, and a sign/breaking marker sticks out off the fence.
My apex of turn one was actually a little on the grass, somewhere between the rumble strip, and the armco barrier on the inside.
I found that by bouncing over the kerbs, it revved the car up to the exact right point you want to accelerate out of the corner. Kinda hard to get right, i mess it up as often as i get it right.
Turn 3: Getting right over to the left of the track and basically breaking as the exact same point the "traning line" says, but turning in a little later.
I found it hard to actually turn into the corner unless i was either on the breaks or on the power, but staying on the brakes cost time, and getting on the power too early puts you off the road, so after breaking (doing it in a straight line) i gave a tiny "blip" on the throttle so itd turn in, and then fully got on the power.
Trun 5: Or is it turn 4? either way.. its the next right...bastard of a corner.
I braked pretty late according to the "training line", going in pretty deep, but being able to get on the throttle and keep on it all the way through the corner as it widens on exit.
I found then when turning in on a normal line, ird run wide over the kerb and have to get off the throttle for a sec.
Turn 6: The first lefty. Sometimes id dab the brakes here, sometimes id just let go of the throttle. But whatever i did, id take a late entry into the corner and then give it welley all through the corner.
If i took a normal line id run wide and have to get out of it again.
Turn 7: Much the same s tory as 6, although i never brake.
I begin to turn in, and then get out of the throttle untill the car begins to pull into the inside kerb a little, and then boot it all the way down to the 2nd last corner.
Turn 9: Either ease off a tad, or lightly dab the brakes...same result, its a almost flat corner.
Turn 10: I get on the brakes and turn in a little later than it looks like you can make, and then just floor it.
Again, you can cut the corner a little like turn 1, but if you cut it too much youll just spin up on the grass on the inside and feck your run up down the straight.

So there ya have it.... thats my bestest lap.

#13 Vin

Vin

• 73 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 21:13

Ferrari
25/18 Front/Rear downforce
50/50 brake bias
soft tyres

Nice one Nasty!
I'll give hard tyres a go.

#14 Blob

Blob

• 49 posts

Posted 23 July 1999 - 22:09

Here's my best lap with sector times:

0:24.132
0:47.858
1:09.272

Not that impressive, I know. But I found it extremely difficult to get a clean lap. Especially the 2nd corner was a pain in the a**. And when I got it right, I screwed up in another corner, of course.

So that will have to do.

#15 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 24 July 1999 - 06:49

nasty, you barstard - i tryed your setup i got 1:07.486 in the ferrari [ i'm sure it's a bit quiker than wiilams]
sector 1 was 23.3
2 was 46.4

i did get a 1st sector of 20.0 but i was a bit to exited going in to turn 3 and stuffed that lap right up---- i took fuel depletions off and i got bad tyre wear so i must have done around 40 straight laps to get that 1:07.486.

i'm "looking forward" to hockenhiem so watch out barstard !

hey blob & buzzin just incase you guys didn't know
the X button is the accelerater !

[This message has been edited by tom (edited 07-23-1999).]

#16 The Jauques Man

The Jauques Man

• 142 posts

Posted 24 July 1999 - 07:19

The elbows are up, and the coffee is on!!! The Jauques Man is goin for it!!! No switching...I like the McLaren...

#17 SalutGilles

SalutGilles

• 2,149 posts

Posted 24 July 1999 - 11:25

I am absolutely spent.

I must have been up untill 5 am playing with setups and lines through corners. As a result, I got no sleep before work, which I just returned from.

But alas! My hard work appears to have payed off. I was in the low eights untill I tried Vin's setup, which took me to the mid 7's. I toyed with that some, and was able to run a 1:07.112. I have never tried so hard in my life.

Here's what I did. I ran on expert mode.

suspension: 13%
Brakes: 50/50
gearbox: do it yourself
Tyres: soft
Front downforce: 25
Rear Downforce: 16

I apparently drive like nasty, the car was airborne for turn one.

Did anyone else think turn 2 was the roughest? you could forget the entire lap if you screwed that up.

good luck.

#18 The Jauques Man

The Jauques Man

• 142 posts

Posted 24 July 1999 - 14:41

I give up, I must get some shut eye.

My official time:

McLaren/Coulthard

Downforce F/ 22
R/ 16

Brakes: 24mm 56f 44r

Suspension 0

automatic gears

soft tires

:(

Bring on Hockenheim!!!

#19 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 25 July 1999 - 10:31

o.k ---- i don't know about you chaps but i'm getting sick of going all the way down to the simulation forum to get into this bit , so salut i think we should go back to the main atlas forum . ------ its heaps easier!