* * - - - 6 votes

Jacques Villeneuve - television pundit for Sky Italia - his latest comments

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 17:42

In the role of his new job as a F1 television pundit for Sky Italia, JV voiced his comments on the Vettel - Webber incident.

Villeneuve compares 'Multi-21' affair with death of father

Friday 29 March at 05:35 : Mar.29 (GMM) 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve is not sure Sebastian Vettel's apologies should be so readily accepted.

Vettel repeatedly said sorry to Mark Webber after Sunday's Malaysian grand prix, where he passed the Australian for victory against Red Bull's orders.

And he apologised to the Milton-Keynes based team's entire staff on Thursday, team boss Christian Horner revealed.

"He recognises the team is vitally important and being part of the team is a crucial aspect to being able to challenge for the championships," said Horner.

But outspoken Villeneuve, now a television pundit, told Germany's Auto Bild: "It's easy to make excuses.

"In the end he's got the win and the points. Mark has nothing. It was a deliberate decision by Vettel."

French Canadian Villeneuve said it is obvious the 25-year-old triple world champion did the wrong thing.

"The team give you the contract and pay you money and so you do what they want you to do. It's very simple," he said.

Villeneuve compared the Sepang saga with 1982, when Didier Pironi similarly ignored a 'do not pass' agreement to beat his father, Gilles Villeneuve, to the chequered flag at Imola.

"Ignoring is just plain wrong," said Villeneuve. "The best example is my father and Didier Pironi. Just look at the problems that caused."

Indeed, Villeneuve snr was so enraged by Pironi's actions that many believe it contributed to his crash and death at Zolder shortly afterwards.

Whatever the case, the general consensus in the paddock is that the affair has terminally damaged the teammates' relationship at Red Bull.

"They will simply have to try to survive the rest of the season somehow," former driver Mika Salo told Finland's MTV3 broadcaster.

"For next season, they (Red Bull) will probably look for another driver to put in Webber's place."

Source: http://www.onestopst... of father.html

Advertisement

#2 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 17:45

For those who didn't know about JV'S new job, here is an article that describes it.

Villeneuve to commentate for Italian TV

Tuesday 29 January at 05:35 : Jan.29 (GMM) Jacques Villeneuve will be back at the grands prix in 2013.

Reporting from a launch event at Monza, the Italian press said the 1997 world champion has signed up with Sky Italia to commentate during live broadcasts at all races this season.

Joining him will be Ferrari test driver Marc Gene, who switches over from Antena 3's Spanish coverage.

French Canadian Villeneuve, 41, is quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport: "Watching the races on TV, sometimes I would get angry about what others are saying.

"Now maybe someone will get angry at me," laughed the outspoken former Williams, Honda and BMW driver.

11-time grand prix winner Villeneuve's late father, Gilles, is among the most revered Ferrari drivers of all time.

Source: http://www.onestopst...Italian TV.html

Edited by fastlegs, 29 March 2013 - 17:46.

#3 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 17:49

DRS makes Villeneuve 'angry'

Jacques Villeneuve has admitted he is no fan of 'DRS', the moveable rear wing innovation that for the past two seasons has made passing much easier in formula one.

The critics of the 'drag reduction system', however, say it only creates artificial racing, and indeed often deprives the sport of many genuine head-to-heads.

"Every time I see DRS I get angry," 1997 world champion Villeneuve told Switzerland's Motorsport Aktuell.

"It destroys every good battle.

"What also annoys me is the rule about only changing your line once. That's the worst one of all," said the 41-year-old former Williams, BAR and BMW driver.

"The rule should be that blocking is not allowed -- that's it," added Villeneuve.

He is therefore critical of the 'new generation' of F1 drivers, saving particular rebuke for Romain Grosjean, who Villeneuve alleges is "totally of control".

"Or what Maldonado did to Hamilton in Valencia," he added.

Villeneuve blames some of that culture on the high standards of today's circuits.

"Today, where the run-off used to be grass, now it's paved. But that (the grass) often made you withdraw automatically. Now many are pushing without thinking.

"The young drivers coming into formula one today are not ready. Playing video games all day, they've forgotten that motor sport is dangerous."

Source: http://www.onestopst.....27angry'.html

#4 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 18:32

DRS makes Villeneuve 'angry'

Jacques Villeneuve has admitted he is no fan of 'DRS', the moveable rear wing innovation that for the past two seasons has made passing much easier in formula one.

The critics of the 'drag reduction system', however, say it only creates artificial racing, and indeed often deprives the sport of many genuine head-to-heads.

"Every time I see DRS I get angry," 1997 world champion Villeneuve told Switzerland's Motorsport Aktuell.

"It destroys every good battle.

"What also annoys me is the rule about only changing your line once. That's the worst one of all," said the 41-year-old former Williams, BAR and BMW driver.

"The rule should be that blocking is not allowed -- that's it," added Villeneuve.

He is therefore critical of the 'new generation' of F1 drivers, saving particular rebuke for Romain Grosjean, who Villeneuve alleges is "totally of control".

"Or what Maldonado did to Hamilton in Valencia," he added.

Villeneuve blames some of that culture on the high standards of today's circuits.

"Today, where the run-off used to be grass, now it's paved. But that (the grass) often made you withdraw automatically. Now many are pushing without thinking.

"The young drivers coming into formula one today are not ready. Playing video games all day, they've forgotten that motor sport is dangerous."

Source: http://www.onestopst.....27angry'.html

Didnt Villeneuve play a video game and learned Spa? Just sayin...

#5 mnmracer

mnmracer

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 18:56

So Sky Italia picked two non-native speakers to comment, one being Jacques Villeneuve? I guess it is possible to grow an appreciation for Eddie Jordan...

#6 JeanClaude

JeanClaude

• 73 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:03

Didnt Villeneuve play a video game and learned Spa? Just sayin...

Haha even worse I remember an interview with Dannii Minogue back then who said one reason for breaking up with Jacques was that he was playing video games all day :rotfl:

JC

#7 yoyogetfunky

yoyogetfunky

• 856 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:08

Haha even worse I remember an interview with Dannii Minogue back then who said one reason for breaking up with Jacques was that he was playing video games all day :rotfl:

JC

Comes a day theyll ask him to play Old Cranky in the latest installment of Super Mario ;)

I wonder if we could get Zonta quotes on their time at BAR. That team was fabricated to be a Schumacher/Ferrari style team, focussed solely on mr Jacques. These statements are ridiculous.

#8 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:10

He's not commenting for Sky Italia anymore but for Canal+.

#9 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,997 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:18

But outspoken Villeneuve, now a television pundit, told Germany's Auto Bild: "It's easy to make excuses.
"In the end he's got the win and the points. Mark has nothing. It was a deliberate decision by Vettel."

"They will simply have to try to survive the rest of the season somehow," former driver Mika Salo told Finland's MTV3 broadcaster.
"For next season, they (Red Bull) will probably look for another driver to put in Webber's place."

Not specifically targeting JV here but the above is another example of how I'm often reminded that the
opinions of ex drivers are almost never very insightful at all.

These, and the other comment about how he doesnt like DRS because it destroys battles,
is just the ordinary stuff that gets said a hundred times a day on this forum.

#10 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:30

These, and the other comment about how he doesnt like DRS because it destroys battles,
is just the ordinary stuff that gets said a hundred times a day on this forum.

I can get why someone does not like DRS.

But not liking the current defensive driving etiquette means you´d like to be able to get away with dirty defenses unpunished.

#11 tjkoyen

tjkoyen

• 103 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:39

It bugs me that Jacques words get a bit twisted.

People construe Jacques' comments like he said "Vettel will die in a crash trying to compete with Webber" in reference to comparing it to G. Villeneuve and Pironi. He simply said that Pironi's ignoring team orders caused problems with and Gilles. He's not predicting the death of a driver from the team orders rift, like the media is making it out to sound.

Jacques is often off his rocker with him comments, but he gets beat up too much for what he says. A lot of the time, he's actually right.

#12 JV97

JV97

• 199 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 19:43

Good old Jacques :)

#13 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 869 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 20:59

Can't stand JV and his bullshit opinions but i feel i must defend him here. Everything that suggests a connection with the death of his father in this article is purely opinion by the writer not what JV said.

Edited by BenettonB192, 29 March 2013 - 21:02.

#14 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,580 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:17

He's not commenting for Sky Italia anymore but for Canal+.

Not true, he was in Australia and in Malaysia with Sky Sport Italia.
I also heard about Canal+ though, probably he work for both channels.

#15 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 4,040 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:34

For him it's easier to be a pundit for Sky Sport italia and make commentary for Canal+.

As italian is not his native language.

#16 SealTheDiffuser

SealTheDiffuser

• 2,416 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 22:50

Didn't Villneuve (once) said that HANS was dangerous and would break the neck of a driver eventually...

Edited by SealTheDiffuser, 29 March 2013 - 23:17.

#17 AlexS

AlexS

• 6,332 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 00:14

Now everyone is in favor of Team orders.
I remember when Schumacher was around no one except Ferrari was... strange how the world changes...

#18 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 00:36

You're wrong.

He's commenting every single session (FP, Quali and the race) for every GP on Canal+, so he's not commenting for Sky anymore, just being an occasional pundit.

Edited by Ravenak, 30 March 2013 - 00:38.

#19 steferrari

steferrari

• 1,580 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:31

You're wrong.

He's commenting every single session (FP, Quali and the race) for every GP on Canal+, so he's not commenting for Sky anymore, just being an occasional pundit.

How can I be wrong, I have Sky Italia and he was in Melbourne and in Sepang for post-sessions comments from the paddock.
I'm also sure that he is supposed to be there for the whole season, when Sky launched the channel they clearly stated that he was a member of their team (see here).

I guess he do live commentary for Canal+ and post comments for Sky then. ;)

Edited by steferrari, 30 March 2013 - 09:36.

Advertisement

#20 Ravenak

Ravenak

• 939 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:30

That's what I just said.

#21 ANF

ANF

• 29,328 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 13:25

In the role of his new job as a F1 television pundit for Sky Italia, JV voiced his comments on the Vettel - Webber incident.

Villeneuve compares 'Multi-21' affair with death of father

(...)

"Ignoring is just plain wrong," said Villeneuve. "The best example is my father and Didier Pironi. Just look at the problems that caused."

Indeed, Villeneuve snr was so enraged by Pironi's actions that many believe it contributed to his crash and death at Zolder shortly afterwards.

Whatever the case ...

Source: http://www.onestopst... of father.html

Is it Jacques or the writer at One Stop Strategy who compares the Red Bull affair with the death of Gilles Villeneuve?

#22 ANF

ANF

• 29,328 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 13:29

It bugs me that Jacques words get a bit twisted.

People construe Jacques' comments like he said "Vettel will die in a crash trying to compete with Webber" in reference to comparing it to G. Villeneuve and Pironi. He simply said that Pironi's ignoring team orders caused problems with and Gilles. He's not predicting the death of a driver from the team orders rift, like the media is making it out to sound.

Jacques is often off his rocker with him comments, but he gets beat up too much for what he says. A lot of the time, he's actually right.

:up:

#23 GerardF1

GerardF1

• 693 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 14:48

And the haters still hate

#24 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 44,195 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 17:17

And the haters still hate

Amazing isn't it..

The guy was a goldmine on the Britain's SSF1 broadcast last year.
The reference Ted made about his driver observations was very telling.

Jp

#25 loki

loki

• 12,244 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 00:22

Jack who?... :D

I was wondering what he'd been up to. I expected he might turn back up in the US in sports cars. Don't blame him for becoming a talking head.

#26 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:13

He's not predicting the death of a driver from the team orders rift, like the media is making it out to sound.

Or rather the readers...

It may have contributed to GV's death but it is not proposing that SV or MW gets dead.

#27 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,966 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:11

Jack who?... :D

I was wondering what he'd been up to. I expected he might turn back up in the US in sports cars. Don't blame him for becoming a talking head.

He's going to race some French GT stuff.