Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:04

http://ice1racing.tu.../day/2013/04/07

Boullier really allows this?

Advertisement

#2 Zoetrope

Zoetrope

• 1,408 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:06

They haven't stopped Kubica, they won't stop Kimi I think.

#3 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:21

You are wondering how Boullier allows this? Or, you don't want Raikkonen to be allowed to do this?

#4 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:27

He might not allow it. But I'd doubt Kimi cares.

#5 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 14:37

You are wondering how Boullier allows this? Or, you don't want Raikkonen to be allowed to do this?

Oh I want Kimi to do what he wants. I just don't see how any team boss would allow it - during the season.

#6 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:30

Boullier said couple of weeks a go that the best way to keep Kimi happy is to give him free hands to do what he wants.

#7 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:38

Is that right though? Should the teams bend over for Kimi?

He does no media work, he's silent in interviews? He's paid millions, shouldn't he actually give something back rather then just take and take and want and want.

#8 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,901 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:41

It's an irresponsibility by Kimi, a professional driver should know better. Driving a rally car it's already risky but this it's way more riskier. If Lotus allows it, they are crazy, if they don't allow it and Kimi still do it, it's just an irresponsibility that should be punished. Just imagine Lotus without Kimi for some races or half season because a stupid fall driving a bike?.

What I said it's valid for all the drivers, not just Kimi.

#9 Rybo

Rybo

• 366 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:44

He does no media work, he's silent in interviews? He's paid millions, shouldn't he actually give something back rather then just take and take and want and want.

Give something back as in points and victories for his team? Kimi is paid millions, because he is one of the best drivers in the world, and he deserves his salary. As long as he continues to win races, and score points what he does in his off time is his business.

#10 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:45

Hope he doesn't get a tennis injury.

#11 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:51

Boullier said couple of weeks a go that the best way to keep Kimi happy is to give him free hands to do what he wants.

Oh I don't think this is exactly what he had in mind.

#12 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 15:52

Ferrari tried to stop Kimi from doing this sort of thing yet just a few weeks before the 2007 Oz GP he went snow mobile racing! Kimi is going to do it regardless, you may as well let him get on with it.

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:08

As long as he continues to win races, and score points what he does in his off time is his business.

What Kubica did in his off time became the team's business.

#14 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:12

What he does in his free time is his bussiness, if my employer would tell me what to do in my free time I would leave the work immediately, you can't own people just because they work for you.

Edited by Vesuvius, 07 April 2013 - 16:13.

#15 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 16,014 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:15

The choice is. Have Kimi or not.

#16 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:16

Ferrari tried to stop Kimi from doing this sort of thing yet just a few weeks before the 2007 Oz GP he went snow mobile racing! Kimi is going to do it regardless, you may as well let him get on with it.

Really when he's paid Millions to be a Lotus driver, they should just say, its Kimi, letting him do it. With any other driver it'd be taking the pee, with Kimi its pseudo cool. I've never really understood why some fans give him a free ride on this. If he was driving for nothing then fair enough.

The other person, said does it matter aslong as he's winning races. Yes it does, F1 isn't just about winning races, sponsor ship is just as important to keep the team operating.

Lets be truthful here, Kimi is just one of the most selfish individuals I've ever read about, he's not cool, he's anything but.

#17 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:18

What he does in his free time is his bussiness, if my employer would tell me what to do in my free time I would leave the work immediately, you can't own people just because they work for you.

You're not a f1 driver being paid millions, when you sign up to that, it also comes with certain other clauses.

As does certain other professions. EG: A doctor or anyone on call, can not go boozing on that time off period.

#18 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,453 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:25

You're not a f1 driver being paid millions, when you sign up to that, it also comes with certain other clauses.

As does certain other professions. EG: A doctor or anyone on call, can not go boozing on that time off period.

Right, because doing an activity that will always inhibit your ability to do your job is exactly the same as doing one with unlikely potential to inhibit your ability to do your job.

Perhaps they shouldn't let him drive on the real roads, since there's no acres of tarmac run-off...

Kimi knows the risks.

Edited by Disgrace, 07 April 2013 - 16:26.

#19 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,501 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:25

Really when he's paid Millions to be a Lotus driver, they should just say, its Kimi, letting him do it. With any other driver it'd be taking the pee, with Kimi its pseudo cool. I've never really understood why some fans give him a free ride on this. If he was driving for nothing then fair enough.

The other person, said does it matter aslong as he's winning races. Yes it does, F1 isn't just about winning races, sponsor ship is just as important to keep the team operating.

Lets be truthful here, Kimi is just one of the most selfish individuals I've ever read about, he's not cool, he's anything but.

If there is a trophy for the most naive comment on-season, this will easily be a strong nominee. You honestly expect Lotus and their possible sponsors NOT to know who they are dealin' with????????

Edited by Sammyosammy, 07 April 2013 - 16:25.

Advertisement

#20 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,151 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:28

His contract allows this so he can do it if he wants .

Edited by Vesuvius, 07 April 2013 - 16:28.

#21 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:32

I think its safe to say Kimi, Alonso, Vettel & Hamilton can, within reason, to what they please away from the circuit because they've earned that right as, probably, the 4 stand out proven top drivers on the grid.

Both from Hamilton's twitter account, no fuss about these.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:32

His contract allows this so he can do it if he wants .

Doubt it.

#23 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:34

He is a racing driver by his genes. He is interested in many fast machines. Surprise, surprise.

Problem is with fans and sponsors. They are creating artificiality by money, selfishness and PR.

BTW, contract talks. The contract a driver negotiates is entirely dependent on the negotiation power he has. If he is able to say I want to fly to space and do human flight, only then I would drive, otherwise not. You really don't have much option, do you? You either take him for what he is or find someone else. Some drivers may be willing to sleep in sponsor suit to get a seat and that is their negotiation power. So it is all down to negotiation and how much power each party can get away. So get off you f1 fan high horse thinking an F1 driver should do what I think is acceptable.

#24 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:38

Problem is with fans and sponsors. They are creating artificiality by money, selfishness and PR.

Yeah, what shits they are, without which Kimi would be a unknown back in Finland.

#25 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:41

And this is of interest to you for what reason? Is seeing an F1 driver in a commercial important in some way?

If you are a racing fan seeing a driver like Raikkonen doing his thing on track should be all you should be interested in!

#26 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:41

What Lewis did was drove a low powered turist snowbile on a steady ground alongside with his girlfriend. Three months before the season started.

#27 ashley313

ashley313

• 224 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:43

First - "testing" is a heavy word - playing with dirt bikes with the team he OWNS is slightly less of a big deal. You don't think he does that at home too? Or that Jenson could get hurt riding his bicycle? Or the Ferrari drivers could be hurt skiing at their little winter do? Or any one of the drivers could be injured doing any number of their training or recreation activities? You can't bubble wrap them and confine them to bed between races.

#28 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:43

What Lewis did was drove a low powered tourist snowmobile on a steady ground alongside with his girlfriend. Three months before the season started.

She could have killed him! Very risky indeed.  ;)

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 07 April 2013 - 16:44.

#29 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:48

He drives a Lotus pretty fast, which is why they want him.
They (Lotus) could easily impose whatever rules they want, but they might end up with a lesser driver, or they might end up with an unmotivated driver. Without Kimi (or someone available who's as good - who?) they wouldn't have a GP win this season - where did RG finish again?

It's a shame for the teams that ultra-competitive drivers full of adrenaline and testosterone won't spend their spare time snuggled under a duvet with a hot-water bottle. But not a big surprise, maybe.

#30 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 977 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 16:56

Hope he doesn't get a tennis injury.

:lol:

#31 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:03

And this is of interest to you for what reason? Is seeing an F1 driver in a commercial important in some way?

If you are a racing fan seeing a driver like Raikkonen doing his thing on track should be all you should be interested in!

Plus, to be fair, Räikkönen does PR and interviews. It's just a few seconds ago that Eurosport showed Renault's commercial, the one starred by Kimi.

-------------------
Anyway, the whole 'this and that is dangerous and a responsible F1 driver should not do it' looks a bit silly each time you see one of the 'responsible' drivers posting pictures of themselves riding a bike on open roads, something the teams do allow and which is also very dangerous. Weird standard to forbid certain sports and allow riding a bike on open roads.

#32 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:05

Motocross is a lot more risky. You don't usually do jumps when cycling.

And if Valentino Rossi can crash and injure himself, Kimi isn't invincible.

#33 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:06

Yeah, what shits they are, without which Kimi would be a unknown back in Finland.

Yes, they are. He comes with certain conditions. You can pay him millions of bucks and employ him or find someone else. You are the one wanting him and wanting him to pay money to drive for you. He is saying 'I do certain things, I would do them even without your money, you take me or leave me'. Now, the problem lies with whom?

#34 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:10

Motocross is a lot more risky. You don't usually do jumps when cycling.

And if Valentino Rossi can crash and injure himself, Kimi isn't invincible.

I was not thinking about jumping with the bike, I was thinking about being killed run over by a car, which is something that happens, sadly, much often than it should, even to professional cyclists.

#35 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:13

Yes, they are. He comes with certain conditions. You can pay him millions of bucks and employ him or find someone else. You are the one wanting him and wanting him to pay money to drive for you. He is saying 'I do certain things, I would do them even without your money, you take me or leave me'. Now, the problem lies with whom?

Out of the choices, I'd leave him.

#36 Amin

Amin

• 706 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:15

Unless his contract states that he can't ride a motorbike, this is a non-issue.

#37 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:18

Now, the problem lies with whom?

In the contract, which precisely states what you can and cannot do during the season.

#38 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 233 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:20

Doubt it.

I doubt you have any knowledge of the driver contracts. Im pretty sure they can have almost anything there. Whining latinos do great pr and only want preferential treatment. Kimi probably wanted freedom on his spare time.

But Kimi was also cheap, remember. They pay him by the points....

#39 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:21

In the contract, which precisely states what you can and cannot do during the season.

Great, good to know. :up:

Post it up then please.

Advertisement

#40 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:21

I was not thinking about jumping with the bike, I was thinking about being killed run over by a car, which is something that happens, sadly, much often than it should, even to professional cyclists.

Carlos Sainz jr day rather backs that up, ran over this ( https://twitter.com/...0157696/photo/1 ) during a 1/2 iron man triathlon instantly giving him two punctures and nearly causing him to have a big off, lucky boy.

#41 Amin

Amin

• 706 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:22

Lotus obviously disagree with you.

#42 swerved

swerved

• 3,895 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:22

Everyone else who has disagreed with Kimi riding a motorcycle has at least been honest, and raised what seem like genuine concerns, you're the only one resorting to blatant lies, Kimi obviously does enough media work to satisfy his bosses, we're aware that you'd like to see much much more of him in the media, but it doesn't follow that he has to do it.

#43 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:30

Great, good to know. :up:

Post it up then please.

I don't know the insets of Kimi's contract and that's why my question in the first post was: Does Boullier really allows this?

I doubt it.

#44 Dzeidzei

Dzeidzei

• 233 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:33

I don't know the insets of Kimi's contract and that's why my question in the first post was: Does Boullier really allows this?

I doubt it.

You honestly think Boullier doesnt know? Thats why they post the photos online?

I doubt that.

#45 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:36

But the Lotus team decided otherwise. Alas F1 fans don't dictate which drivers the teams must choose! They don't have that kind of power they think they have.;)

#46 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:37

But the Lotus team decided otherwise. Alas F1 fans don't dictate which drivers the teams must choose! They don't have that kind of power they think they have.;)

You asked, I replied.

#47 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:40

You honestly think Boullier doesnt know? Thats why they post the photos online?

I doubt that.

"They" are ICE1Racing blog's webmaster, no way to associated with Lotus.

#48 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:42

You asked, I replied.

There is a reason why I asked. Do you really not understand this conversation? For someone who finds it so easy to fry Raikkonen, I am surprised you could not grasp the fact that - there is no right or wrong here, a driver/team can get away with whatever they want given their bargaining power and position. You have no say. Is it clear?

Edited by SpaMaster, 07 April 2013 - 17:43.

#49 study

study

• 2,452 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:46

The statement you said "He is saying 'I do certain things, I would do them even without your money, you take me or leave me'. Now, the problem lies with whom?"

I replied I would leave him, that is my opinion, it is neither right or wrong. You'd take him, fair enough, it is a clear answer to your question, there is nothing to grasp, its not that difficult to answer.

Edited by study, 07 April 2013 - 17:47.

#50 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 17:52

I never asked your honest opinion on whether you would take him or leave him. My question was something else - Problem lies with whom? Not - What would you do?

Edited by SpaMaster, 07 April 2013 - 17:53.