Photo
* * * - - 6 votes

Will Massa again out-qualify Alonso this weekend?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Poll: Will Massa out-qualify Alonso in China?? (180 member(s) have cast votes)

Will Massa out-qualify Alonso in China?

1. Yes (115 votes [63.89%])

Percentage of vote: 63.89%

2. No (65 votes [36.11%])

Percentage of vote: 36.11%

Has Massa found his Mojo back??

1. Yes (154 votes [85.56%])

Percentage of vote: 85.56%

2. No (26 votes [14.44%])

Percentage of vote: 14.44%

Will Massa out-Race Alonso in China??

1. Yes (49 votes [27.84%])

Percentage of vote: 27.84%

2. No (127 votes [72.16%])

Percentage of vote: 72.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:21

1- Will Massa out-qualify Alonso again this weekend (saturday) and record his 5th straight Qualifying defeat against Ferrari's No.1??
2- Has Massa found his Mojo back??

3- Will Massa out-Race Alonso in China??
Rob Smedley:- "your time at the moment, compared to others... is not good, it's Incredible!!" ..... hmmm....

Edited by BackOnTop, 12 April 2013 - 14:10.

Advertisement

#2 nomi

nomi

• 288 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:25

I so hope Massa can get a win, he's seems to be warming up to it slowly.

#3 apexpredator

apexpredator

• 242 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:35

He most probably will out-qualify him, certainly it looks that way with his pace on the soft tyres.

Alonso is using the soft tyres in a very different way though, you can see it on the on-board. If they were given qualifying tyres that didn't need to be used in the race I suspect he'd really drag the car around.

#4 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:46

Yes, Yes and No.

No because he won't be allowed to :(

#5 Head

Head

• 58 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 13:46

pretty much yes and he found his mojo back and he will out-race him as well

#6 molive

molive

• 9,799 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:15

pretty much yes and he found his mojo back and he will out-race him as well

:up:

#7 ApexMouse

ApexMouse

• 909 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:20

I really dont think Alonso is on top form at the moment.

#8 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:24

What?

I truly dont understand why people say nonsense like this.

#9 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:26

What?

Drugs?

#10 Ragingjamaican

Ragingjamaican

• 1,001 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:26

Ya maaahn :stoned:

#11 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:29

I am glad Massa is doing better. He tends to go on hot streaks and he is on one now. Fantastic for the team.

The average gap to Alonso over the first two races is only 0.071 so it isn't an earth shattering difference between the two.

Edited by Watkins74, 12 April 2013 - 20:42.

#12 Lulabaloo

Lulabaloo

• 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:53

I am glad Massa is doing better. He tends to go on hot streaks and he is on one know. Fantastic for the team.

The average gap to Alonso over the first two races is only 0.071 so it isn't an earth shattering difference between the two.

Is this what people call damning with faint praise ?

#13 Lulabaloo

Lulabaloo

• 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:56

What?

For those who don't believe no proof is sufficient.

Edited by Lulabaloo, 12 April 2013 - 15:56.

#14 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 15:59

Is this what people call damning with faint praise ?

Its called an 'observation'.

#15 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:03

Outqualify maybe
Outrace unlikely

#16 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,441 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:08

Massa hasn't "found his mojo", he has gotten on top of the Pirelli tyres. He's had pace expected of a Ferrari driver since the middle of last year, and since late last year, the consistency.

Edited by Disgrace, 12 April 2013 - 16:09.

#17 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,576 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 16:26

1. Yes... He will probably out qualify Alonso because at the the moment Alonso just doesn't seem capable of stringing the sectors together and has been for some time.

2. No... Massa's races have been mediocre all things considered and Alonso's poor showings in qualifying are flattering Massa somewhat.

3. Can pigs fly?

Edited by Ferrari2183, 12 April 2013 - 16:28.

#18 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:30

1. Yes... He will probably out qualify Alonso because at the the moment Alonso just doesn't seem capable of stringing the sectors together and has been for some time.

2. No... Massa's races have been mediocre all things considered and Alonso's poor showings in qualifying are flattering Massa somewhat.

3. Can pigs fly?

I suppose Alonso looks a bit jaded after last years title charge... and Brazil may have made him mentally tired overall. It's not a criticism because it's very normal for humans which include race car drivers to have a few bad days after 3 years of trying. Maybe Alonso has divided these kind of days for Saturdays.

But during the Melbourne race (only race he completed so far) he & Kimi were the only one who were on it from the start. So it really hasn't affected his Racecraft & performance. He also surely had the best chance out of everyone to win in Malaysia considering the crap RBR & Mercedes were dishing out to their drivers in the name of tyres & fuel.

So Saturday is ok, but he's always one of the top 4 on Sundays.

Edited by BackOnTop, 12 April 2013 - 17:32.

#19 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 11,576 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:38

I suppose Alonso looks a bit jaded after last years title charge... and Brazil may have made him mentally tired overall. It's not a criticism because it's very normal for humans which include race car drivers to have a few bad days after 3 years of trying. Maybe Alonso has divided these kind of days for Saturdays.

But during the Melbourne race (only race he completed so far) he & Kimi were the only one who were on it from the start. So it really hasn't affected his Racecraft & performance. He also surely had the best chance out of everyone to win in Malaysia considering the crap RBR & Mercedes were dishing out to their drivers in the name of tyres & fuel.

So Saturday is ok, but he's always one of the top 4 on Sundays.

It's going to be hard for Alonso to measure up to last years performance. He was metronomic last year but I for the life of me don't know what has happened to his qualifying performances...

I have no complaints about his races though.

Advertisement

#20 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 5,630 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:46

Pole is possible for Massa tomorrow if he can bring that speed to qualifying. Ferrari Is so good off the line as well so Pole will most likely mean he would have the lead into the first corner.

This weekend will be interesting. A strong result for Massa and he is right at the top end of the championship.

#21 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,336 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:48

Ferrari isn't quick enough in quali trim, so pole for Massa seems unlikely for me. Expect to see both Mercedes' and Red Bull's in front of him at least. Can't wait for Bahrain though, one of Massa's best tracks in recent years and also a good Ferrari track.

#22 femi

femi

• 8,288 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:49

It's going to be hard for Alonso to measure up to last years performance. He was metronomic last year but I for the life of me don't know what has happened to his qualifying performances...

I have no complaints about his races though.

I don't think Alonso is too worried about Massa. Alonso might just be conserving tyres during qualy giving priority to the race. He may find Massa useful by letting him start higher, thereby letting him push the guys in front till their tyres let go and along comes Mr. Alonso picking up the pieces. Off course,

Remember Alonso said qualifying is not so important anymore, not as long as we have these Pirellis.

#23 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:51

Pole is possible for Massa tomorrow if he can bring that speed to qualifying. Ferrari Is so good off the line as well so Pole will most likely mean he would have the lead into the first corner.

This weekend will be interesting. A strong result for Massa and he is right at the top end of the championship.

So far Massa has been nowhere on Sundays. Lets hope his race pace improves and he does not turn into a moving chicane.

Edited by fabr68, 12 April 2013 - 17:53.

#24 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,492 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:54

I don't think Alonso is too worried about Massa. Alonso might just be conserving tyres during qualy giving priority to the race. He may find Massa useful by letting him start higher, thereby letting him push the guys in front till their tyres let go and along comes Mr. Alonso picking up the pieces. Off course,

Remember Alonso said qualifying is not so important anymore, not as long as we have these Pirellis.

I think it is DRS that is the key change. It has made it much less likely that you will simply get stuck behind someone slower (team-mate or otherwise) and have your race ruined. It can still happen, of course, depending on your gearing or whether the other driver is also benefitting from DRS.

#25 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:55

This Massa outqualifying Alonso -thing has really been blown out of proportion. Maybe Alonso has had car set up for the race while Massa sets up for qualifying? At least that's what I qould do if I were in charge at Ferrari. For Massa it's much more important to start near front than to Alonso.

#26 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 12,278 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 17:58

This Massa outqualifying Alonso -thing has really been blown out of proportion. Maybe Alonso has had car set up for the race while Massa sets up for qualifying? At least that's what I qould do if I were in charge at Ferrari. For Massa it's much more important to start near front than to Alonso.

that's a new excuse from the alonso camp
can't really accept the fact that he has been the slower ferrari driver for some qualy now?

#27 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,492 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:04

can't really accept the fact that he has been the slower ferrari driver for some qualy now?

I don't think there is really any concern from the "Alonso camp". Massa is finally delivering at the level you would expect him to in qualifying, thankfully. The big question is whether he can consistently deliver strong race performances. There simply are not the same questions to be asked about Alonso. Whatever happens, he will deliver at the level expected of him. This is not a reversal of the 2012 situation.

#28 thechin

thechin

• 589 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:06

I think the level of attention people are giving this reflects more one what a great year Alonso had in 2012.

If Massa can outqualify and out race Alonso for the next couple of races then it could be worth talking about. People (esp. his fans) must have a very low opinion of Massa to be making so much noise about this.

#29 Grundle

Grundle

• 1,309 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:13

Yes that's it. Alonso is not trying 100 percent in qualifying to save 50 metres of Tyre life, sacrificing his precious 6 tenths for a more
attainable 2 tenths, giving Massa hope, because "Massa mode" is worth 3 tenths, usurping FAs 2 tenths that he can do in his sleep.
Basically a massively mojoed Massa can only beat a sleeping FA by a tenth.

#30 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:19

Yes, I sincerely hope so, at the least.
Yes, he found his mojo, if mojo means the car is as derivable to him as to his teammate.
I do hope he surprises me, but it is highly unlikely.

#31 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:41

My tent is set up quite far from the Alonso camp. Just saying that in modern F1 there's a quite distinctive difference in qualifying and race set ups. Therefore some drivers usually faster on saturday, other faster on sunday. Much like Ferrari duo appears to be.

#32 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 7,054 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:10

My tent is set up quite far from the Alonso camp. Just saying that in modern F1 there's a quite distinctive difference in qualifying and race set ups. Therefore some drivers usually faster on saturday, other faster on sunday. Much like Ferrari duo appears to be.

That is so wrong IMHO. On more than one level. Quite OT though.

#33 SamH123

SamH123

• 2,968 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:25

I'm not an Alonso fan but I agree with this. Massa is getting a lot of credit considering he's still, let's be honest, not really been that close to actually beating his team-mate in a race

But it is looking good for Massa in quali again, I'd make him favourite for sure

Edited by SamH123, 12 April 2013 - 19:26.

#34 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:26

I don't think stating facts that Massa is faster than Alonso over a single lap in 4 races is blowing it out of proportions!

Especially in light of the last 3 years where some Alonso crazies claimed Massa was normal/well treated.... and was only getting hammered by Alonso by 1 second due to divine powers beyond the reach of 'other' mortal drivers!! Massa also was given alot of grief and disrespect for their personal amusement. So it's not bad to know what Massa is capable of with good team backing.

Austin 2012 onwards, Massa is making Alonso look a bit slow in qualy. It's fine, Alonso hasn't qualified well since mid last year. It's just Massa got form only Japan onwards.

Even Pat Fry critizied both drivers for not making full use of Ferrari's qualy around India GP. So yeah, Alonso needs to pick up the pace, and might just do that starting today!

Edited by BackOnTop, 12 April 2013 - 19:39.

#35 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 21,814 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:27

Massa and Alonso have one race this year they can actually compare. Alonso did win that battle, but if people want to bring up the last races in 2012 as well, I think people forget that Massa would have likely finished ahead of Alonso in Korea, Austin and maybe even Brazil if not for Massa having to play a supporting role that late in the season. I wouldn't write him off so easily.

Edited by Seanspeed, 12 April 2013 - 19:28.

#36 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:35

Yes, Yes and No.

Exactly what I thought

#37 Lulabaloo

Lulabaloo

• 149 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:36

So, it looks like we have a consensus. If Massa beats Alonso tomorrow it's because Massa is setting up the car for qualy and Alonso for racing. In Aus was the DRS, Malaysia was the drying track(Massa was a wooping 20 seconds behind Alonso) and now we have the setup thing as a preemptive excuse.

#38 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 19:45

So, it looks like we have a consensus. If Massa beats Alonso tomorrow it's because Massa is setting up the car for qualy and Alonso for racing. In Aus was the DRS, Malaysia was the drying track(Massa was a wooping 20 seconds behind Alonso) and now we have the setup thing as a preemptive excuse.

And when Alonso beats Massa then the excuse is he is not allowed to race him.

:down:

#39 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 20:02

And when Alonso beats Massa then the excuse is he is not allowed to race him.

:down:

Well, that is in fact true for the last few races of 2012!!

Monza, Austin (gearbox) & Brazil. Infact, Alonso did not have the pace to overtake Massa in a straight fight in Melbourne as well. Had to rely on pitstop window to jump him.

The process has started, and it won't take long before Massa will get his racecraft back. This Alo-Massa fight is getting really interesting! Good fun for everyone.

Edited by BackOnTop, 12 April 2013 - 20:04.

Advertisement

#40 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,492 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 20:32

Well, that is in fact true for the last few races of 2012!!

Yes, but Ferrari were quite open about that and the reasons were obvious and well understood by all. Those races have to be seen in the context of what they were trying to achieve. Massa not racing Alonso, and Alonso was not racing Massa.

#41 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 21:13

It really does look like Felipe is once again comfortable and committed in the car.

I think there is a good chance he will out-qualify Alonso, but I expect Alonso to be faster over the race (just like Kimi was most of the time).

Massa has never lacked one lap pace, regardless of the fact that haters liked to claim so while Kimi was his teammate.

Edited by Menace, 12 April 2013 - 21:14.

#42 ryan86

ryan86

• 1,100 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 21:54

How "incredible" were Felipe's lap times this morning?

I've went Yes, Yes and Yes.

#43 Ikebana

Ikebana

• 342 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 00:34

What?

Because if it doesn't happen what they want, I mean, predict, they can always say "it's because Massa isn't allowed to do that".

If they found a 100% solid and undeniable proof that Massa is allowed to beat Alonso, they can always say "well, it's because of the accident/he lost his mojo again".

Edited by Ikebana, 13 April 2013 - 00:36.

#44 Hanzo

Hanzo

• 899 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:04

Everybody excited about Massa's position in qualy.
Nobody interested in his record of being the Ferrari driver with more starts without a win and how far is going to expand it.
People only worried about beating Alonso, not Massa winning a race.

Hmm...

#45 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:18

Back after spending some time in the penalty box for high-sticking the refs, then a self-imposed exile. :)

I wonder if the poll numbers might shift a bit, and those so eager to condemn Alonso to second fastest Ferrari driver might do some soul-searching?

A 1-2 would be very nice Quali for the Reds, but even better if they finished that way. :up:

Forza Ferrari! :smoking:

#46 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:49

Looking very good for Alonso... as well as Massa after Prac3.

Pat Fry has almost nailed this years Ferrari's to the tarmac. Interesting to see who the other top 3 challengers are gonna be in 1 hour!

Edited by BackOnTop, 13 April 2013 - 04:51.

#47 topical

topical

• 2,815 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:24

Alonso's redeems his qualifying record. Nice one.

#48 BackOnTop

BackOnTop

• 870 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:36

Alonso keeps his teammate out-Qualy down to 4!!

Good pressure lap.

#49 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:46

48-12

#50 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:12

Hey! Any folks in here who voted for Massa to keep the string going and thought Alonso was "feeling the pressure?" ANYBODY?? Given the poll numbers, I know some of ya gotta be out there, somewhere. :lol:

Hoping BOTH Felipe and Nando move forward in the race and one of them claims the victory, because that's what's most important, right? Beating the other drivers IN THE RACE (Teammate Included!).  ;)