Photo

PS championship laptimes at hockenhiem

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 26 July 1999 - 13:45

i got 1:32.6 in the benneton today at hockenhiem - i had 0 dforce on front and rear.
24mm brake discs .

1st sector 20.7
2nd 1:08.6

bring it on barstard !!!!!!

Advertisement

#2 The Jauques Man

The Jauques Man

• 142 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 09:13

split 1 20.120
split 2 1'07.819
lap 1'31.974

Ferrari
5 frontwing
8 rearwing

don't know how much is left. that felt pretty good, I'm sure there's a few more tenths there.
there always is :)

[This message has been edited by The Jauques Man (edited 07-27-1999).]

#3 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 12:51

ow yeaaaaah,
1:31.727 [no cutting, just clinging to the kerbs]
2 % rear dforce
8% front dforce
24mm brake discs

sector 1 20.7
sector 2 1:07.7
could have done a bit better 1st corner and last sector !

#4 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 13:57

Ferrari

Default settings except for

Front wing: 14
Rear wing: 10

Sector 1: 20.780
Sector 2: 1:06.789
Total: 1:30.768

#5 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 14:00

Ferrari

Default settings except for

Front wing: 14
Rear wing: 10

Sector 1: 20.780
Sector 2: 1:06.789
Total: 1:30.768

And yeah... no chicane jumping...just a little aggressive kerb riding.

I did a lap where all i did was back off and run straight over the chicanes (the 3rd one ya barely need to back off for, except to stop the wheels spining and therefor chucking it in the bushes) and it was about 2 seconds quicker.

#6 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 16:28

hey nasty barstard , thats a pretty dam fast time you got there , i would love to try an beat it right now but i'm not much good at doing laptimes late at night , my bloody eyes always start to squint shut and my times get worse and worse , it just gets too frustrating . so i'll give it a good go in the morning ! ------my times were in the benneton , i thought that was faster at hockenhiem , so i might have to try the dam ferrari !

Mcbastard , these long hockenhiem straight's should give you plenty of time to drink your beer !

#7 Phoenix

Phoenix

• 70 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 18:29

Hi everyone

I am new to F1 97 and I had ny first go at Hockenheim last night

literally my first go this is.....

I did a 1.38.578 at around 1.00 am last night (I only started at midnight)

I know there is some more time to come as I was quicker over split sections but the eyes were starting to close as 2.00 am approached so I could not get in a quick lap

could someone answer a couple of questions for me......

1) are the cars different in ability (I was in a Mclaren for my time)

2) does the difficulty level effect times at all??

I know I can get my time down but am I at a disadvantage using the car/settings I am on

I am running very little downforce at the moment but just using the default settings for everything else......

Can anyone gime me any tips

Thanks

Phoenix

#8 Vin

Vin

• 73 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 07:18

Phoenix:
At this stage practice is more beneficial than good set-up but you might as well bring the brake discs down too the minimum.
It might be a good idea for Hockenheim to start at around 30/25 front/rear downforce and gradually reduce it until you find something you are comfortable with.
I'm doing similar laps with 7/0 downforce as with 25/20 downforce 'cos what you lose in the staights you tend to gain on the infield.

Good luck.

#9 Phoenix

Phoenix

• 70 posts

Posted 27 July 1999 - 21:09

Thanks Vin

Anyone know about car choice and difficulty settings - whetner they effect times or not??

#10 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 04:13

pheonix, the mclaren is not very good on 97 so the best cars are william , ferrari or benneton , i am thinking the ferrari might be the fastest at hockenhiem------ the skill level doesn't matter since were all going in practise sessions so you aren't racing against the computer times , your racing against our times .
pheonix ,a tip i have for you is to try 24mm brake discs they are a bit better through the shikanes !

#11 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 04:17

and another thing pheonix , put fuel depletions off and tyre wear off and put 1 lap fuel in the car in the car setup menu , cos then your every lap you do is done with very low fuel !
thats it i'm off to beat mcbastard's times!

#12 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 09:08

mcbastard, it took me 50-60 laps but i beat your time by 1 tenth and there was NO cutting.
1:30.687 in the benneton !-- ferrari was no good .
sector 1 20.7
sector 2 1:06.8

this time is unbeatable i think --------- its crucial to get the 1st corner right to get a good 1st sector . on one lap i got a 1st sector 20.6 , but stuffed that lap in the 3rd shikane.i got 1:06.8 over the 2nd sector 3 times but ruined those laps in the last sector, my setup was :
2% dforce rear
7%dforce front
24mm brake discs
45/55 brake bias
soft tyres

if Mcbastard can beat that without cutting he can have pole !!!

#13 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 09:24

When ya go into Arcade mode (i tryed that yesterday just for fun....feck its shite), when you choose a car it shows how good/bad it is for braking, accel, speed and grip.

Going on what it said its pretty much only a choice between the ferrari and the mclaren for germany. Both are way out in front as far as speed goes, yet lacks little, if any in acceleration.
Grip and braking aint realy relevant.

I assume it pretty much carries over to the grand prix mode, thats why i chose the ferrari.
With the ferrari i was hitting 214 MPH before breaking for the 1st chicane.
Same setup in the mclaren only got me about 211.
the McL does have more grip, so i figured i could put on less wing to up the top speed without effecting the cornering, and i did get speeds up around 217, but it didnt matter what i did it always seemed about .5 off the ferrari.

Im gonna work on the stadium section today.
I think i got the nordkurve sorted...pretty simple, if your not comming off there at 155 or above youve got it wrong...
The clarke chicane sorted, probably the trickiest chicane...
The ostkurve sorted, really need to use those kerbs...
The senna kurves sorted, hard to get right but man, its brilliant when ya do. I think this is where im making up some of my time, not sharing secrets yet though*l*
The Sudkurve sorted, Again, hard to get right, kinda a double/triple apex corner, but it is wicked when you get it right. Not sharin those secrets yet either.

Agip and Sachs are a different story. I cant seem to find something to use as a decent braking marker for agip, and therefore never break in the same spot..need to get more consistant there.
The sachs kurve is a bastard too, kinda like a mirror of the 3rd hard left at austria, Tight on the turn in, and opens, but kinda sucks you in to going wide. If i had analog acceleration itd be fine.

BTW...off topic for a sec, anyone know why alot of driving games have analog steering but digital accel?

Ill give out one lil "tip" ive noticed... although ya prolyl know it already.
Its importaint when comming off the corners that lead onto a straight to get it lined up down the road and stop messing with the steering quickly.
When your car wanders around on the straights and you need to give that little adjustment to straighten it up it stops the speed building up for a sec, and if you need to fiddle about too much down the straight your top speed can be a few miles down.

I know sometimes you cant help it, like on the 1st long straight it always wanders to the inside a bit, but the less ya do it the better.

Anyway...enough outa me for today*l*

#14 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 14:00

I Nailed the last corner and got the best run ive ever got onto the main straight, picked up about 10 MPH into turn one and held the advantage all the way down to clarke.
Add to that the fact i found i can break a little later than i thought into clarke, and i just did a

sector 1: 0:20.536
sector 2: 1:04.820
final: 1:29.795

And i lost .7 of a second in the last section.

The only setup change i made was to take off more rear wing.

And no.. im not cutting the chicanes... honest (would i lie to you? ;) ).
I do use every inch of the road, and kerbs, but i never take to the grass.
All 4 wheels are always on the black stuff....well... 2 atleast with the other 2 all over the red/white stuff.

#15 Vin

Vin

• 73 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 22:39

1.29.923 not cutting chicanes.

1.24.882 taking lawnmower route.

Both times with
Ferrari
Hard Tyres
0/0 Downforce
60/40 brake bias

#16 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 29 July 1999 - 08:01

uhoh... people are starting to close in on my time. Thisll be like austria.. i had prov pole for 1.5 weeks.. right up untill thursday.

Im starting to wonder if im fecked in the head or something*l*

When i was 1.4 sec up at the 2nd check point, and therefore took it a little easy through the stadium and lost .7 i was sure that if i was ever in the same situation again and i put everything together in the stadium id find those 7 tenths...

but im buggered if i can.

I can get high 1:04's low 1:05's at the 2nd check, like on my quick lap, but i cant even beet that time now.. nevermind pick up those lost 10ths...

perhaps id been PSXin too long and was hallucinating or something*l*

Or perhaps im sick of hockenheim already.... i sure know i dont wanna drive another lap at austria in a VERY long time*l*

#17 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 29 July 1999 - 09:50

jeez mcbastard , your second sectors [1:04's] sound like the times of someone who lifts off and throw's the car through the grass !---- but then again what satisfaction would you get from CHEATING , wot does the clock say when you go under the red banner after the second shikane ?
i tryed the ferrari and it's not as good as the benneton [and ferrari is harder to handle].
but i tryed the late braking like you say you do and it helps , i think the second shikane is the key , and i've got something sorted out through there , you have to brake , then get the car on a good angle before the shikane then accelerate just before the kerb and keep on the gas all the way out of it , i've only done this perfect 2 times and luckely 1 of those times was my new best ----- 1:29.808 [not using grass , but taking to the air over the kerbs at the second shikane]in the benneton again.
sector1 20.7
sector2 1:05.9
i dont think i can improve without cutting, but i will try , cos i need to get more points than mcbastard here cos the other tracks coming up are going to be hard for me .
setup was:
0% dforce front and rear
24mm brake discs
40/60 bias
soft tyres

1 tenth mcbastard so watch out !

#18 Vin

Vin

• 73 posts

Posted 29 July 1999 - 20:27

This is killing me.
I'm so used to cheating during the game I can't find the right line through the chicanes and still haven't beaten 1.06 for the second sector.
I've got the third sector nailed though (using a completely different line than the advised one).
I don't think I can improve any more on my time, Hockenheim is wrecking my head!

#19 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 30 July 1999 - 04:18

1:31.242

------------------
Schumacher - F1 + 200lb. = Homer Simpson

Advertisement

#20 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 30 July 1999 - 08:20

high dforce is the key ---------- 1:29.667 [ never touched the grass]
sector 1 21.1
sector 2 1:06.0
setup:
34 front dforce
15 rear dforce
24 mm brake discs
46/54 bias
soft tyres
no suspension
it's hard to get a good 1st sector with the higher dforce but i make it up in the 2nd sector and last sector .
i can get 20.7 1st sector with this setup but always stuff the rest of the lap when i'm up at split 1 .
i could have gained around 1/2 tenths in the last sector on my lap that has put me on POLE !!!!!!!!!

sounds like the BEER 's keeping you off the pace mcbastard !

#21 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 30 July 1999 - 09:48

Nah mate... no grass cutting going on.

Ill give a little hint.

Have you all noticed when your driving down a straight for example, and you just get off the throttle there is a fair amount of "engine brake"?
Sure, it doesnt ****** the speed as much or as fast as using the brakes, but hell, half the time you dont really want that much speed scrubbed off.
Ive found that on alot of corners you can actually NOT break at all, but instead just get off the throttle a tiny bit earlier than you would of braked.
In austria i only used the breaks 4 times a lap usualy, and in germany im really only using them 4 times aswell, with a lil dab comming into the sudkurve.
generally it has the same overall effect as breaking, but because the speed is ******** at a slower rate than when breaking you actually have a higher corner speed.

Im not sure if im shooting myself in the foot by saying this, and end up comming last or something, but try going through the senna chicane without using the breaks at all, but instead just get out of the throttle.
Im not gonna tell ya where i get out of it and where i get back on it yet.. i aint that dumb*l* but try it.
You CAN do it and still keep it on the road (no grass cutting) and i tell ya, ive come off that chicane at 170MPH+ when ive got it right.

Actually tom, its probably lack of beer thats keeping me off the pace*l* Ill break out a 6-pack tonite and see what happens, coz i still havent improved on my time.

#22 The Jauques Man

The Jauques Man

• 142 posts

Posted 30 July 1999 - 12:05

1'29"797 :(

TWO MEASLY FREAKIN 1/1000 of a clock
tick. DAAMMMMMITTTT!!!!!!

McLaren. Maybe just smidgen left, but I
don't have it in me tonight.

Goodnight Comrades...watch those
Shiitekanes now! :)

------------------
"I was very proud of Alan Jones that day. We had the best car at the time, without a doubt, and the only thing we feared was that little French Canadian..."

-Frank Williams, on
Gilles Villeneuve
regarding 1979 Canadian
Grand Prix.

#23 tom

tom

• 3,474 posts

Posted 30 July 1999 - 15:28

mcbastard , you must be absolute dogs*** through the last sector cos i can beat your laptimes with 2nd sector times of 1:06 ,
i am going to give this lifting off [no braking] through the shikanes a go tonight!!!

jaques man get out of that MCLAREN !!!

#24 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 31 July 1999 - 03:52

What are some peoples trap speeds? My best is 223 with the Benneton with no downforce and the suspenion set at 90.

------------------
Death through Tyranny - Megatron

#25 The Jauques Man

The Jauques Man

• 142 posts

Posted 01 August 1999 - 05:51

IMO The 97 McLaren and 97 Ferrari are the two fastest cars at HAKKINheim and AI ring. The McLaren is also very, very strong at Melbourne.

------------------
"I was very proud of Alan Jones that day. We had the best car at the time, without a doubt, and the only thing we feared was that little French Canadian..."

-Frank Williams, on
Gilles Villeneuve
regarding 1979 Canadian
Grand Prix.